• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

sn00zer
(07-18-2017, 12:13 AM)
sn00zer's Avatar
Literally just finished...well got to the final boss anyway a few months ago....the hi res does not do this game any favors.....kinda like a lot of sub HD games I prefer the pixelated low res, gives it a bit of a 16bit vibe
Dragoon En Regalia
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:22 AM)
Dragoon En Regalia's Avatar
No reason why you couldn't just select 640x480 and play it in full screen, then. Or slap a Reshade filter over it.

Originally Posted by Tizoc

Wonder if we can mod this...you never know when someone could get the models prettied up somehow :P

I'll have to ask someone from XSEED more about this soon. Assuming the engine runs natively on Windows, then it shouldn't be hard for someone to hack it the hard way (via hex), but maybe this port team's made it easier for guys like JoseJL and Sewer56 to make some mods.
Silvawuff
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:28 AM)
Silvawuff's Avatar
Fantastic game! I'm glad more people will get to experience a higher quality version of this.
Glitter and Gold
Member
(07-18-2017, 01:00 PM)
Glitter and Gold's Avatar

Originally Posted by sn00zer

Literally just finished...well got to the final boss anyway a few months ago....the hi res does not do this game any favors.....kinda like a lot of sub HD games I prefer the pixelated low res, gives it a bit of a 16bit vibe

Yeah I can kinda see that. Especially in regards to some of the background assets which have absolutely no detail because they were never intended to be seen with any. Like a lot of the words on monuments and the statue in the background of the opening.

That said I think the characters look really good as do most of the dungeons and fields in the foreground. and the 60 FPS helps the game feel a lot more smooth.

So yeah I agree with you on some level. The aesthetic on the PSP is actually a huge part of what I like about it. But I think the 60 FPS will end up making this the version to play going forward regardless
Dragoon En Regalia
Member
(07-18-2017, 10:16 PM)
Dragoon En Regalia's Avatar
Tom @ XSEED recently looked at the music folders for both Ys Seven PC and Trails of Cold Steel PC:

Originally Posted by http://www.xseedgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/ys-vii-pc-port-announced-for-summer-release.29301/page-3#post-951469

Both games have a "bgm" folder; in Ys Seven's case, it contains all OGG files, and in Cold Steel's case, it contains all WAV files.

I'm not seeing metadata for looping anywhere like in Falcom's native PC titles, however, so I'm guessing that's located in some other data folder, separate from the actual music tracks.

...And if it helps answer your questions, the OGG files for Ys Seven are all VBR with an average bitrate that seems to hover around 160-170 (according to WinAmp, though I'm getting 190+ pretty often from a quick sampling), and a 44 kHz sampling rate. This appears to be consistent with the OGG files present in native Falcom PC titles (Zwei II's music, for instance, all has roughly the same stats).

-Tom

tl;dr You get these games' soundtracks free from the get-go, and I suspect we can replace tracks so long as they match the BGM table and loop metadata (or however the ports/engines call and stream music audio).
Blue-kun
Member
(07-18-2017, 10:20 PM)
Blue-kun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragoon En Regalia

Tom @ XSEED recently looked at the music folders for both Ys Seven PC and Trails of Cold Steel PC:

tl;dr You get these games' soundtracks free from the get-go, and I suspect we can replace tracks so long as they match the BGM table and loop metadata (or however the ports/engines call and stream music audio).

Here's hoping people can find how to create loop points, seeing as it was really easy to do in both Felghana and Origin. Although for Seven there just aren't enough arranges to make this a really worthwhile endeavor, especially as most people don't seem to be too big on the Summer 2010 jdk album versions of Five Dragons and Crossing Rage.

But hey, Mother Earth Altago and Great Tree are awesome in that, so I might have to mess around with it! Especially Great Tree. It's such an improvement over the original...

Linky links for comparisons. OG vs Summer 2010.
Last edited by Blue-kun; 07-18-2017 at 10:24 PM.
pCeSlAyEr
Member
(07-18-2017, 10:30 PM)
pCeSlAyEr's Avatar
Yessss! Ive been waiting for this for years.

One down now c'mon Celceta!
Dragoon En Regalia
Member
(07-18-2017, 10:34 PM)
Dragoon En Regalia's Avatar

Originally Posted by pCeSlAyEr

Yessss! Ive been waiting for this for years.

One down now c'mon Celceta!

Your avatar reminds me, we still haven't gotten any recent Falcom-related artwork from Minako Iwasaki. I hope she can find more work from game developers soon...like maybe a promo piece or two for the Ys V remake, since she was the lead artist on that game.
pCeSlAyEr
Member
(07-19-2017, 03:22 PM)
pCeSlAyEr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragoon En Regalia

Your avatar reminds me, we still haven't gotten any recent Falcom-related artwork from Minako Iwasaki. I hope she can find more work from game developers soon...like maybe a promo piece or two for the Ys V remake, since she was the lead artist on that game.

Ys V remake? Who, What, When?
Dragoon En Regalia
Member
(07-19-2017, 04:34 PM)
Dragoon En Regalia's Avatar

Originally Posted by pCeSlAyEr

Ys V remake? Who, What, When?

President Kondo's been hinting at one recently, but no plans and promises yet. If the Ys remake > original game pattern holds, we'll see one at some point.
Morrigan Stark
Arrogant Smirk
(07-19-2017, 04:37 PM)
Morrigan Stark's Avatar
Seeing double with these avatars... xD
Shifty1897
Member
(07-19-2017, 07:32 PM)
Shifty1897's Avatar
I always thought Ys Seven was regarded to be the best one. It was definitely my favorite. I don't know if I'm going to double dip but I'm thinking about it. Do we know if this is 14.99 or 19.99?

15 bucks seems to be the magic number for me.
Dragoon En Regalia
Member
(07-19-2017, 10:14 PM)
Dragoon En Regalia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shifty1897

I always thought Ys Seven was regarded to be the best one. It was definitely my favorite. I don't know if I'm going to double dip but I'm thinking about it. Do we know if this is 14.99 or 19.99?

15 bucks seems to be the magic number for me.

15 USD would be great, especially for European buyers. But I'm expecting 20 USD with a launch discount since there's new port work. XSEED should price this lower to get more competitive and build better launch momentum, especially since it's an older game which isn't as pretty as Zwei II releasing around the same time.
Ascheroth
Member
(07-20-2017, 08:36 AM)
Ascheroth's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shifty1897

I always thought Ys Seven was regarded to be the best one. It was definitely my favorite. I don't know if I'm going to double dip but I'm thinking about it. Do we know if this is 14.99 or 19.99?

15 bucks seems to be the magic number for me.

Probably not below 20$/ with a -10% launch discount.
Eila
Member
(07-26-2017, 01:28 AM)
Eila's Avatar
Oh yeah I just realized since this is a new port it doesn't seem XSEED is using the HD textures from the chinese PC port :(
Can't really find much gameplay of the old PC port to make more comparsions. I have no idea just how much they remade with the port, but as far as I know it was pretty barebones and 30 fps.


sorathecrow
Junior Member
(07-26-2017, 01:44 AM)
sorathecrow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Eila

Oh yeah I just realized since this is a new port it doesn't seem XSEED is using the HD textures from the chinese PC port :(
Can't really find much gameplay of the old PC port to make more comparsions. I have no idea just how much they remade with the port, but as far as I know it was pretty barebones and 30 fps.

I wonder if it would be possible to just drag and drop the Chinese textures into this version of the game? Either way, if I have to choose, I'll take 60 fps over textures.

Thread Tools