• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

koam

xsarien said:
Between now and the day you are removed from this mortal coil, I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities. I'm generally not so hard line that I'd refuse invest in a company's stock all together; But Halliburton? Everything in the news suggests that they have zero problem making money on the backs of soldiers and taxpayers and don't really care what the consequences are.

Everyone from the CEO to the fucking janitorial staff needs to go to prison; there isn't an ounce of good in that place.

You have to take advantage of the misfortunes of others. That's how my friend make thousands and thousands of dollars off the stock market.

Company lays off 10,000 people.. you make money because their earnings will increase
Hurricane hitting the US soon? .. no problem invest in oil companies.

Saddistic but it works.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Just something I found while doing some research on a few subjects:

Inflation-1923.jpg

A German woman, in 1923, using money to feed her stove. Due to inflation money was now worth less than firewood:p

koam

Ether_Snake said:

Inflation-1923.jpg

A German woman, in 1923, using money to feed her stove. Due to inflation money was now worth less than firewood:p

You're kidding right?

_Rafa_

Banned
I have a newb question:

What is considered a transaction? Is it a buy or a sell, or its a buy-sell......

So if its a buy or a sell, commission is charged 2 times (if you want to get your profit...or loss..). And if its only when you buy and then you sell, commission is charged only once.

whats a transaction? I think its the first one but not sure.

koam

_Rafa_ said:
I have a newb question:

What is considered a transaction? Is it a buy or a sell, or its a buy-sell......

So if its a buy or a sell, commission is charged 2 times (if you want to get your profit...or loss..). And if its only when you buy and then you sell, commission is charged only once.

whats a transaction? I think its the first one but not sure.

buy = 1
sell = 1

But there's certain things to keep in mind:
1) Some brokers will only charge you 1 transaction if you perform multiple BUYS of the SAME stock in the SAME business day.

2) Sometimes, you'll buy a stock, then buy it again at a later date at a different price, then buy it again at another later date, and then sell all three lots as one transaction. In this case, you get 4 transactions.

3) A bit more rare, but sometimes, you might have stocks in a company that gets bought out. In that case, if you wait out till the purchase date, they will automatically sell your shares for you and you're not charged transaction fees.

_Rafa_

Banned
k thanks so i'll avoid Disnat cause its like 29$ per transaction.

im waiting for an answer from zecco.com to see if they accecpt canadian accounts.

but i have another newb question. How de we put money in a new broker account?....Is it made some way electronically?

koam

_Rafa_ said:
k thanks so i'll avoid Disnat cause its like 29$ per transaction.

im waiting for an answer from zecco.com to see if they accecpt canadian accounts.

but i have another newb question. How de we put money in a new broker account?....Is it made some way electronically?

Disnat has a new service where they don't charge that much, you should check it out. I have full access to the Royal Bank Active traders platform, the TD active traders platform, CIBC Investor's Edge and Disnat. :) I like Royal's site the best but the TD active trader platform is probably the best one. If you're not an active trader, avoid TD. You might want to consider opening a CIBC account, if you open one now, it's like $102 for 13 trades till Dec 31.

To add money, it's a bitch, seriously. I have my checkings account with TD and I also have waterhouse so for them, i do everything electronically and it's free and instant. But now that I have CIBC, I need to go to TD, get a Draft check (which costs like 8 bucks i think) and then go to a CIBC branch and deposit.. then wait 5 business days. A faster way is to open a savings account with them (to avoid monthly fees) and then just deposit money into that account using ATMS.

Transferring electronically is super expensive i think.

I sent them a draft check last tuesday and the money still doesn't show up in my account.

Also, keep in mind that you're charged maintenance fees and inactivity fees with certain brokers. Check up on that before opening an account.

_Rafa_

Banned
koam said:
Disnat has a new service where they don't charge that much, you should check it out. I have full access to the Royal Bank Active traders platform, the TD active traders platform, CIBC Investor's Edge and Disnat. :) I like Royal's site the best but the TD active trader platform is probably the best one. If you're not an active trader, avoid TD. You might want to consider opening a CIBC account, if you open one now, it's like $102 for 13 trades till Dec 31.

To add money, it's a bitch, seriously. I have my checkings account with TD and I also have waterhouse so for them, i do everything electronically and it's free and instant. But now that I have CIBC, I need to go to TD, get a Draft check (which costs like 8 bucks i think) and then go to a CIBC branch and deposit.. then wait 5 business days. A faster way is to open a savings account with them (to avoid monthly fees) and then just deposit money into that account using ATMS.

Transferring electronically is super expensive i think.

I sent them a draft check last tuesday and the money still doesn't show up in my account.

Also, keep in mind that you're charged maintenance fees and inactivity fees with certain brokers. Check up on that before opening an account.

check on Disnat website, consider i would take the classic platform and that im not an active user...its still 29$ /transaction i think...

So zecco.com isnt a bank so i would have to check them money if i want an account?

koam

http://www.disnat.com/en/rates_fees/pricing_dd.asp

First 25 trades are free (for the first 3 months). It seems to be $19.99, I thought it was cheaper, i'd have to confirm but i can only find out tonight so i'll get back to you tomorrow on that. (Edit: $9.99 if you do over 10 trades in a month.)

As for zecco, it's an online broker. I haven't had to deal with an online broker but i assume it's via check and possibly, they have something setup for wiring in money electornically. I know etrade.ca charges you for the latter.

Dow hit 14,000 points again. Where's the damn correction!

_Rafa_

Banned
what do you mean by "charges you for the later" ? sorry, im french canadian and i dont know this expression

thanks

koam

They charge you if you move money into the account electronically. At least they did last i checked.

Edit: Garmin is down 10% today. I'm so tempted to buy in. Apparently, they're down because nokia wants to buy Navteq. Doesn't matter, i think it's the market overreacting and caused a bigger drop than it should.

lil smoke

Banned
xsarien said:
How the hell do you sleep at night?
I read in (I think) Fortune Magazine that privatized prisons are the new black. Prisons closing in the future make way for private companies to build their own. People got rich off of these stocks. I suppose it's too late now.

But, even with a lowering crime rate, there will always be a market for prisons and jails. Private may be the way of the future?!?!

EDIT: PS WTF CROX? Can't you ever have 2 successive good days?

koam

I'm staying away from rimm (or any of the big 4 right now). The market has gone up too fast in the past 2 weeks and the housing problems aren't resolved yet. Rimm is canadian (RIM.TO) and we don't have a housing crisis here but i still wouldn't trust their stock. If you bought their stock when it was like $80, sure keep it. They've got their earning report for Q3 on Thursday I believe so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

koam

_Rafa_ said:
i had my answer about canadian accounts on zecco.com. It's NOT possible. Think i'll go with disnat then.

I dunno, CIBC may be cheaper for you. $102 for 13 trades! but it will be $400 for 50 next year. It's still probably cheaper.

koam

Nintendo's about to hit their all time high again! Go NTDOY.PK!!

Unfortunetly, I only have 50 shares.

_Rafa_

Banned
koam said:
I dunno, CIBC may be cheaper for you. $102 for 13 trades! but it will be $400 for 50 next year. It's still probably cheaper.

its 9.95$ per transaction for Disnat classic if i make 10 or more transactions a month, otherwise its 29$ per transaction. I'm already with desjardins so i think it would be less trouble to transfer cash.

I have a question fore you: Whats your average number of transactions for a month? Or, how does it cost you in commission in average for a month?

koam

_Rafa_ said:
its 9.95$ per transaction for Disnat classic if i make 10 or more transactions a month, otherwise its 29$ per transaction. I'm already with desjardins so i think it would be less trouble to transfer cash.

I have a question fore you: Whats your average number of transactions for a month? Or, how does it cost you in commission in average for a month?

You'd have to check, but i believe the first 10 are $29 and then the rest are $10. I'm pretty sure the first 10 are $29, which is $290. CIBC is better.

I average about 8 a month but i'm planning on doing far more now with my lower rates

Also, TD and RBC offer the same thing if you do 30 in 3 months. Also, if you go under 10 transactions a month, you're back at $29. 10 doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.

koam

_Rafa_ said:
I see 25$ per transaction on CIBC and theres a 400$ fee per year for your account.

Disnat is 29$ per transaction but dont have an account fee.

No, you're mixing up the two plans :lol

CIBC has two plans:
1) You pay $400 and you get 50 trades, and pay $7 after that (so basically, after 16 trades, you've paid off the $400 for the year).
2) You pay $25 all the time

I chose #1, but it's done on a calendar year basis, so since there's not much time left in the year, they're charginf $102 for 13 trades now.

I'm using CIBC for now, until i hit $100,000. Then i'll switch to TD waterhouse since they offer trades at $10 (if you have $100,000 in investments) and you're an automatic active trader so you get their cool little tool set.

edit: What do you guys think about http://www.questrade.com/default.aspx ? 4.95$ per trade and no system access fees!

Never heard of them, i'll check them out when i'm home and i'll ask my friend to look them up as well. There's also "interactive brokers" that you can look into.

koam

_Rafa_ said:
ok my bad.

But im looking now at questrade and it seems pretty cheap!

Just look out for hidden fees and stuff that other brokers might not charge you for.

Do you plan on constantly moving money in and out of the account or are you like me where you put in a large sum and play with that.

Here:
http://www.interactivebrokers.ca/en/main.php

Check out their fees on stocks (not options but stocks). I heard they were cheap, i can't check now.

here's another one, got this from the GAF ad :lol but i've heard of them before
http://www.tradefreedom.com/en/home/

koam

_Rafa_ said:
wow IB is even cheaper! Why don't you use it? It's like 1cent per share for canadians

I dunno, i'm only using CIBC as a temp solution (they're also the cheapest of the "banks"). So far, they're getting on my nerves, my check still hasn't been deposited.

_Rafa_

Banned
finally i found interactive brokers too restrictive in terms of financial situation and its more complicated to transfer founds. There trading systems are a bit too complicated for me too.

So i went with Questrade.com wich is a canadian webbroker and that VERY user friendly and easy to tranfers funds. It's also only 4.95$ per transaction and no monthly fees to pay. You only have to put 1000$ to fund your account and thats very easy to do electronically (just use the pay bills function in your canadian bank, in my case, desjardins).

But Koam, how do you manage to make 100$ a day only using 8 transactions a month and only having about 10 000$ ?....

what do you think i should buy to start my portfolio? I'm thinking to buy some PANL and NTDOY....but what else?

thanks

koam

I haven't been doing $100 lately because i haven't been able to do any trades for the past 3 weeks due to me switching accounts. I've also been busy working on a web project to handle my quotes.

PANL is slighty too expensive, I'd wait till it drops to $16 before buying it again.

NTDOY is also at an all-time high so it's a bit risky to put money into them. I'd also not recommend invest in an OTC stock like NTDOY as a first pick.

I don't want to pick the companies for you cause i don't want to be liable if you lose money.

Some of the canadian stocks i've been looking at are:

-POT (Potash)
-AGU (Agrium)
-TD (Toronto-Dominion) - They fell today by 4.86% so there's room to recoup. Buy them for long term though.
-GIB-A (CGI) - Only if they're under $10.50

I'll rebuild my watch list soon enough, i'll let you know what i come up with.

koam

My little website is coming out quite well. I might open it up for GAF users who are interested when it's done (prob in a month or so). I basically made it to facilitate my taxes. You enter the transactions you've performed and it will tell you your earnings and everything for your selected time period and store them in the DB. You can set up ranges and commision fees. Most brokers offer you similar tools but I'm trying to make mine as robust and user friendly as possible since i hate the ones my brokers have. It also let's you have more than one broker and keeps track of each one's commisions :)

I'll even make it so that it can tell you your current earnings without having to wait till the next business day.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Ether_Snake said:

Inflation-1923.jpg

It was done because reparations for world war 1 were negotiated in absolute figures I believe.

Germany in the early 1920s when the rate of inflation hit 3.25 × 106 percent per month (prices double every 49 hours)
My grandma used to tell stories of going to buy a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrow of money.

koam

I did some reading on the subject. It was caused because of the treaty of versailles. Basically, France made Germany sign some peace treaty but they asked Germany to pay for the reconstruction of France. It was some crazy figure like $4 billion (which back then was insane). Germany, being nazis and all, got pissed off and simply printed out $4 billion worth of cash.

Tarazet

koam said:
I did some reading on the subject. It was caused because of the treaty of versailles. Basically, France made Germany sign some peace treaty but they asked Germany to pay for the reconstruction of France. It was some crazy figure like $4 billion (which back then was insane). Germany, being nazis and all, got pissed off and simply printed out $4 billion worth of cash.

That will do it.

I wonder what the electronic age is doing to the value of money. I receive and send off thousands of dollars, and rarely touch any bill bigger than a fiver. Is it stabilizing for banks not to have to come up with so much cash, or destabilizing because it's so easy to send money off to a far corner of the earth on a moment's notice?

koam

Today is really ugly. You know what that means right? BUY TIME!

CREE is what i'm eyeing right now. Their stock has dropped 14% because some analyst changed their rating from "hold" to "sell". I believe they'll recoup. OLED is an awesome tech. I might buy 100 shares before the market closes.

koam

xsarien said:
Every day can't be rainbows and unicorns. ;)

Eh, buying at every market dip seems a little excessive. I'm fine with letting my portfolio stew for awhile.

That's fine and dandy, but i'd got money that's not invested right now so I need to place it somewhere.

_Rafa_ said:
finally i found interactive brokers too restrictive in terms of financial situation and its more complicated to transfer founds. There trading systems are a bit too complicated for me too.
I use IB, and I am telling you, their system is very easy. It might look intimidating at first, but once you learn how to make your trades, the interface is very simple. It is also very powerful when you are ready to do more exotic trades.

Only the first deposit into the IB account requires a wire draft or a mailed check. After that, it is super easy to set up a direct electronic link to your checking account for fast and free deposits/withdrawals.

IB is so much cheaper than other brokerages, I really have no idea why more people don't use them. I have found their service to be superb.

The only real extra fee for IB is a minimum fee of $10 per month. If you generate $10 in commissions in a month, you pay nothing extra. If you only generate $5 in commissions, you would pay an extra $5, etc.

koam

Fuzzery said:
Yeah, why not use excess capital lol. How much do you have to invest?

$7000 is not being invested at the moment.
I have a couple thousand left in NTDOY. It's growing like a Chia pet :)

koam

WHAT THE FUCK?

I wrote a draft check (basically a bank issued check i.e non personal) of $4500 for CIBC Investor's Edge. Since I don't have a bank account with them, i went to a local CIBC branch and gave them the check so that they can deposit into my Investor's Edge account. It's been a week and nothing. I've called them a bunch of times.

Today, I got fed up and decided enough was enough. I called them and pushed the rep hard because i'm sick of their stupid responses and them trying to send me back and forth all the time. The chick told me that she thinks that the bank stole my check and they opened up an internal credit investigation now. It will take at least a week to resolve. I'm so pissed, i'm going to get them to clear out the $102 that i owe them for opening the account.

xsarien

daedsiluap
koam said:
WHAT THE FUCK?

I wrote a draft check (basically a bank issued check i.e non personal) of $4500 for CIBC Investor's Edge. Since I don't have a bank account with them, i went to a local CIBC branch and gave them the check so that they can deposit into my Investor's Edge account. It's been a week and nothing. I've called them a bunch of times.

Today, I got fed up and decided enough was enough. I called them and pushed the rep hard because i'm sick of their stupid responses and them trying to send me back and forth all the time. The chick told me that she thinks that the bank stole my check and they opened up an internal credit investigation now. It will take at least a week to resolve. I'm so pissed, i'm going to get them to clear out the $102 that i owe them for opening the account.

..You get charged for opening a bank account? What kind of horseshit is that?

Top Bottom