• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R patched to 1.3: 60fps, story mode camera changes, lag improved, etc

I'm not noticing any sub-native visual downgrade in portable mode. If there is, it's gotta be tiny. This isn't like Snake Pass which looked like a blurry nightmare.

The frame rate also struggles in story mode, but it's definitely a huge improvement from before.

Stupid question, but with a physical copy, it should update automatically correct?

Yup. The update should just download regardless, then when you next put the cart in it'll apply the update. Takes about 10 seconds.

IrishNinja

played through state 1 on at launch, played through state 2 tonight...yeah, you can see a difference here. so happy with how this game turned out!

Just played some online multiplayer at a solid 60FPS. Finally, it plays like it should have all along.

This game is a perfect piece of evidence as to why frame rate matters. I wonder if there is anyone who honestly can't notice a difference between the launch version and this, and thinks frame rate in games is not a big deal.
They had to drop the resolution to get 60 fps in a Bomberman game? Seriously?
It was made with Unity, which seems to have a really high overhead cost to performance, from the few console games I've played that were made with it, like Grow Home. Basically all these advancements in technology in terms of CPU and GPU horsepower seem to be going towards developers utilizing awful middleware to cut production costs.

I mean, Unity is meant for little indie developers to use for games they'll be charging ~$10 for, not for big publishers like Konami to spend less money.

Just played some online multiplayer at a solid 60FPS. Finally, it plays like it should have all along.

This game is a perfect piece of evidence as to why frame rate matters. I wonder if there is anyone who honestly can't notice a difference between the launch version and this, and thinks frame rate in games is not a big deal.

It was made with Unity, which seems to have a really high overhead cost to performance, from the few console games I've played that were made with it, like Grow Home. Basically all these advancements in technology in terms of CPU and GPU horsepower seem to be going towards developers utilizing awful middleware to cut production costs.

I mean, Unity is meant for little indie developers to use for games they'll be charging ~$10 for, not for big publishers like Konami to spend less money.

Android Assault Cactus also uses unity, maintains a solid 60 fps and is doing way more than Bomberman.

Unity just allows bad devs to create games more easily, the games still perform badly though.

Forgive my possibly stupid question but you say the game is now 60fps and that it plays online like it should. Has the decrease in lag online got anything to do with the fps now being 60?

shiyrley

Banned
After taking a look at both modes this is what I believe is going on:

Story mode: Framerate unlocked but resolution unchanged. Unstable framerate

Battle mode: Framerate unlocked & resolution dropped. Rock solid 60 FPS.

DF will confirm it tho.

samred

I used SBR as a leaping-off point to talk about the state of patching on Switch. I can't create threads, but if people are into this, go to town: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...icy-change-has-saved-at-least-one-switch-game

Not every game will have such proactive patching, but let's be clear: we'd written off Konami as a pack of pachinko-slinging gamer-haters. And Nintendo loosened and streamlined its patch and certification process enough to get them on board with frequent, useful game updates! What bigger selling point do you need than that?

Top Bottom