• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yeah, that... doesn't sound cool to me.

I'm ok with backers getting ships and filling out the universe to make it feel more fleshed out right now. Especially when it seems like it is more, pay to progress than pay to win.

Pay to win to me has always meant that you pay cash for advantages that you absolutely cannot achieve without paying. I don't like pay to progress either, but it is different to me still.

To me, pay to progress is unfair still because I don't know if that guy has just spent the time for all his stuff or if he just paid for it. But again, this is still better than pay to win for the same reason, I don't know and probably never will. But it would be easy to tell if I get steamrolled by someone with advantages that I can't get at all without cash and that would feel vastly more unfair to me. On one side, I can eventually get to where that guy is and have all the same stuff, on the other, I can never have that unless I pay.

Optimally, I'd like the cash shop to be for nothing more than cosmetics after launch. Give equal footing to players after that point. Let the rewards of peoples investments in-game speak for them and don't let peoples real life monetary advantages let them also have the same advantages over those who might not be as privileged in-game.

IMO we play these games to escape the realities of the real world, not to expound upon them.

I like the idea rewarding backers who are taking a risk and actually helping fund the game and help it get made... for me. I like the idea of that fleshing out the world a bit. I can imagine the impact it would have on a new player starting fresh who never backed. Walking out onto the observatory for the first time overlooking the landing pads and seeing these crazy looking ships coming and going. And then looking up into space and seeing these gigantic spaceships. Then walking onto one of them and seeing it piloted and crewed by real people inspiring you to want to join and work your way to getting one of your own some day... That is really important to me at launch.

But leave it there lol.

Either that, or jack the prices SKY. HIGH. For the pay to proceed stuff. Something ridiculous. I honestly wouldn't mind then. Especially if it meant more content coming for everyone to enjoy faster. You wouldn't be running into those people often at all anyway compared to the number of players playing.

Wait... can you lose ships? Like actually lose it and not get it back and have to pay for it all over again with in game currency? Can you lose ships you pay for with cash?

Yeah, pay-to-progress is a good way to put it. Pre-launch, people are getting a head start by buying ships to have at launch. Orgs will compete to establish an early foothold on whatever assets can be controlled, and there's no denying that having more ships will be helpful for that part of the game. I think the question of how much PVE players will be able to limit their PVP exposure (or avoid it entirely) will really be up in the air through to launch.

Starbuck2907's answer about insurance is accurate. It's the same situation as Elite where you make sure you don't fly without ship insurance. LTI on purchased ships means the hull part of the ship insurance is covered - effectively a bit of extra credit income due to lower running costs.

You might get your butt kicked in the early game going up against someone who's ahead of you in the progression thanks to that head start, but you won't wind up in a situation where you have eventually maxed out your ship via grinding and the only reason you lost to the other player in the same ship is because they paid the extra bucks for the cash-shop-exclusive firepower buff that month, or bought some exclusive components, etc.

Complaining about Star Citizen is 100% free to play and probably isn't pay to win. The ASCII graphics would be a dealbreaker for me, personally.

giphy.gif

RubberJohnny doesn't "complain" he bullshits and double downs. An rarely if ever does he fact check his bullshittery, let alone the difference between fact and fiction . That's the key to him.

He likes to shoot from the hip with blanks.

Oh and he preforms a nice little disappearing act. When he gets exposed.

~Cross~

Yeah, pay-to-progress is a good way to put it. Pre-launch, people are getting a head start by buying ships to have at launch. Orgs will compete to establish an early foothold on whatever assets can be controlled, and there's no denying that having more ships will be helpful for that part of the game. I think the question of how much PVE players will be able to limit their PVP exposure (or avoid it entirely) will really be up in the air through to launch.

Starbuck2907's answer about insurance is accurate. It's the same situation as Elite where you make sure you don't fly without ship insurance. LTI on purchased ships means the hull part of the ship insurance is covered - effectively a bit of extra credit income due to lower running costs.

You might get your butt kicked in the early game going up against someone who's ahead of you in the progression thanks to that head start, but you won't wind up in a situation where you have eventually maxed out your ship via grinding and the only reason you lost to the other player in the same ship is because they paid the extra bucks for the cash-shop-exclusive firepower buff that month, or bought some exclusive components, etc.

Didnt the great visionary mind of Chris Roberts put forth something like a pvp slider so that the player can chose how much pvp they wanted?

Eolz

These endless personal attacks are a bit much, is there a report function on this forum?

You need to contact mods who would then look at the complaint from all sides.
I agree that they don't need to bring you up everytime, but that's just like you don't need to come in just for negative rumors or similar.

"engage"

I presume you mean that that in the combatative/adversarial manner given the conversation that has shown up here in the last few weeks? I do not believe you are here in this thread to engage in discussion of the game due to your interest in it as a finished product, or in general about space sim design.

Much different to someone liked DubbedinEnglish, who seems actually interested in the game yet is critical of a whole host of things about it.

Btdubs, I have like 40€ in this game.

I've been nothing but civil, and gotten endless hostility for it.

Like we've been engaging in conversation nicely over the last few pages, just because we disagree doesn't mean it's "combative or adversial", at least not until cabbagehead there got annoyed that I pointed out the last dev Q&A contradicted the argument he was making about what they had planned and threw out a bunch of insults.

I mean did they say that? That it was just for spectacle?

Are they/you really saying that people aren't going to do this?

People are also going to be trying to catch your ship and take your loot.

I mean, this is what they've decided to show. From this footage, I can't imagine they wouldn't craft missions where like you said, you are put in a position of conflict with other crews. This is what I expect when I see footage like this.

Well first and foremost for the main player in the video as soon as the land on that moon, a mission marker says eliminate. And that was on the rover another CiG member controlled. That doesn't happen in encounters with other players and was obviously scripted since subsumption wasn't full in demo vid as chris stated. He was narrating the entire vid. Given the criminality system it would make no sense for mission to flag another player character to eliminate if they have done nothing against you.

Not saying that this may not be in SC in full but all the presentations have been controlled presentations or target demonstrations.

Is everything PVP?

^ the man himself talking about NPC to player ratio.

In addition in the demonstration he referred to them as pirates which is a profession and one mainly aimed at stealing from NPC's and Players alike. Which brings it back to what I was talking about in terms of being targeted.

They aren't looking to make a game that force PVP all the time, if it comes out of a byproduct of a chosen profession so be it. Truth is though, many of the professions and ships aren't design for PVP. But of course pirates and vanduul attacks will be an ever present threat.

And yep there are competition and leader boards. SM, AC, and MC are still features complete with leader boards. But I would not consider fending off a pirate, NPC or otherwise, to be considered competition. All I am saying is not all conflict is competition and in the scenarios that are going to be set up, competition is going to be deliberate by both sides. Conflict only requires one side to be the aggressor.

Given the limitations posed before about UEC limits and answers in interview I linked. There is really nothing to worry about in terms of those that want to spend money to buy UEC, Especially after game has launched.

iHaunter

These endless personal attacks are a bit much, is there a report function on this forum?

I hope so, so you can leave it.

All you do is complain about things that aren't in the game I don't really see how it helps anybody.

If you don't like where the project is heading or is, you can request a refund. I don't really understand your purpose here other than to complain with misinformation- evidence being that you don't follow SC close enough to talk about it as much as you do.

I was going to start linking 10 for Chairmens, and other posts from CR. But I'm sure you'll go on about how it's not in the game yet or that it'll change, which is also possible.That's the point, is there a game like this? Or an attempt by any developer for there to be one? If so I would love to see it. It's hard to have a timeline when you're creating technology and combining it in a way that hasn't existed before. I'm not a software developer so I can't comment much further on that.

Akronis

Like we've been engaging in conversation nicely over the last few pages, just because we disagree doesn't mean it's "combative or adversial", at least not until cabbagehead there got annoyed that I pointed out the last dev Q&A contradicted the argument he was making about what they had planned and threw out a bunch of insults.

Nah dude, nice try. Mods already called you out for your shit once.

Please, by all means, contact them. I'd love to see what happens.

lacinius

There is nothing civil about the trolling that you do; by its very nature the intent of trolling is to be anything but civil. There is also nothing civil about playing the victim card as you so oft want to do, which is the second most obvious characteristic of your true intent.

The real civility on this page can be found in much of the replies to your messages as those here that have more than a passing interest in SC take the time and have the patience to clarify the many lies, half-truths, and innuendo you feel so compelled to share.

*Engage*

You didn't do anything to contradict or disprove anything. The fact of the matter is, you are your worst enemy. Not the other way around. It's the fault of your own actions and sheer negative viewpoint in regards to this project and glee in that negativity you like to promote and seem ready to latch on to, given the chance to rub it in our faces. Don't get it twisted. You don't want a balance discussion. Vlad is one individual that seems to want a discuss, you want to do is bullshit and love to disappear. When you get called out or the FUD you love to push gets debunked or the real source is found.

You made your own bed. So drop the victim card.

FYI I'm just a blunt person and i call it as it is. Deal with it.

So how about that Star Citizen, aye?

Edit : The Cyclone looks pretty cool. Hopefully it can fit comfortably inside a cutlass. Will have to try rent one before I earnt one eventually in game down the track.

atpbx

With the Cyclone, if you don't already have a ship with an Ursa, such as the Aquila or Carrack, I can see why you want one.

If you have an Ursa already, I wouldn't bother.

As the Ursa can carry more, has guns, can carry extra armour sets, guns etc.

And is pressurised.

Zabojnik

With the Cyclone, if you don't already have a ship with an Ursa, such as the Aquila or Carrack, I can see why you want one.

If you have an Ursa already, I wouldn't bother.

As the Ursa can carry more, has guns, can carry extra armour sets, guns etc.

And is pressurised.

Wait until you hit that middle age crisis.

2016-mazda-mx5-miata-grand-touring-convertible-angular-front.png

Taranis

Neo Member
giphy.gif

RubberJohnny doesn't "complain" he bullshits and double downs. An rarely if ever does he fact check his bullshittery, let alone the difference between fact and fiction . That's the key to him.

He likes to shoot from the hip with blanks.

Oh and he preforms a nice little disappearing act. When he gets exposed.

Okay, now I'm imagining JJ Jameson yelling "Chris Roberts is a menace!".

I'm not worried about that FUD campaign. I've closely followed this game's development for the past few years and I'm pretty optimistic about SC in general, except for its release dates.

jaaz

Official word from CIG on the German article translation that there would only be 5-10 systems at launch:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...-we-please-get-an-official-cig-confirmation-a

Zyloh | CIG@Zyloh-CIG
Today at 12:54 pm
Hey guys! This is a case of things being lost in translation; Chris was asked a specific question about how many systems we expect to have online at the point that we've got most of the core mechanics completed and we would consider the gameplay experience suitable for a larger audience. There are no changes with regards to the planned amount of systems which are well documented on the current Star Map.

Also, it’s important to remember that the scope of the game has increased greatly since the original crowdfunding campaign. Since those early days we’ve created procedural planet tech, moved from 32 bit to 64 bit… all of it leading to billions of kilometers of space and millions of square kilometers of landmass to explore, all rendered in detail that matches the most detailed 1st person games that only have to worry about a few dozen kilometers of playable area.

This takes time to fill out, so while it will take us longer to fully deliver and populate every system at this fidelity rather than if we had only a handful of points of interest per star system, we have no intention of reducing the size of the Star Citizen universe.

Official word from CIG on the German article translation that there would only be 5-10 systems at launch:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...-we-please-get-an-official-cig-confirmation-a

Zyloh | CIG@Zyloh-CIG
Hey guys! This is a case of things being lost in translation; Chris was asked a specific question about how many systems we expect to have online at the point that we've got most of the core mechanics completed and we would consider the gameplay experience suitable for a larger audience. There are no changes with regards to the planned amount of systems which are well documented on the current Star Map.

Also, it’s important to remember that the scope of the game has increased greatly since the original crowdfunding campaign. Since those early days we’ve created procedural planet tech, moved from 32 bit to 64 bit… all of it leading to billions of kilometers of space and millions of square kilometers of landmass to explore, all rendered in detail that matches the most detailed 1st person games that only have to worry about a few dozen kilometers of playable area.

This takes time to fill out, so while it will take us longer to fully deliver and populate every system at this fidelity rather than if we had only a handful of points of interest per star system, we have no intention of reducing the size of the Star Citizen universe.

OMG really? something was lost in translation! i'm totally surprised...

Raticus79

It's nice to see some clarification about it, but they sure took their time considering how people were running with that news.

jaaz

It's nice to see some clarification about it, but they sure took their time considering how people were running with that news.

Given their UK roots, I suspect that response was required to go through several dozen reviews and approval committees before being posted. ;)

Was the assumption ever that there would only be 5-10 systems now, as opposed to 100? I thought it was a delivery change. Planned to have 100 at launch but only able to have 5-10 ready.

Was the assumption ever that there would only be 5-10 systems now, as opposed to 100? I thought it was a delivery change. Planned to have 100 at launch but only able to have 5-10 ready.

No they never said only ever 5-10.
I still think 5-10 is a strange range to give at that point for something that should be just around the corner.

cyress8

Banned
So i have a question about Derek Smart

in terms of game creating ability, is he as good of a developer as Chris Roberts?

As a guy that played Battlecruiser/Universal Combat and actually enjoyed them for what they were. I'm going to give this a hard no. Derek is C tier and Chris is at least A Tier.

Jackpot

Banned
So i have a question about Derek Smart

in terms of game creating ability, is he as good of a developer as Chris Roberts?

Derek Smart is literally the worst developer in the industry. That's not hyperbole. In terms of design, quality, fun factor, development management, the distance between stated goals and results produced, learning from past mistakes - he is the worst there is.

Well, reading the 90's magazine thread I learned today that Derek Smart is a top tier dev. He created the first ever neural net driven system for a game that only took him 7 years to develop. He is also a man of the utmost class and tact.

His games have even been featured in top tier gaming mags.

Proof, (NSFW).

0DgmFPZ.jpg

How can one man handle all that class?

Derek Smart is literally the worst developer in the industry. That's not hyperbole. In terms of design, quality, fun factor, development management, the distance between stated goals and results produced, learning from past mistakes - he is the worst there is.

Wasn't Derek's problem, that he was too ambitious with his games, way beyond the technology of the time which caused the game to falter

Chris Roberts seems to be more in tune with the limits, which is why Wing Commander is probably superior to any of Derek's games

now that technology catches up, Chris can get more ambitious

is that a reason?

Wasn't Derek's problem, that he was too ambitious with his games, way beyond the technology of the time which caused the game to falter

Chris Roberts seems to be more in tune with the limits, which is why Wing Commander is probably superior to any of Derek's games

now that technology catches up, Chris can get more ambitious

is that a reason?

I don't think it has anything to do with ambition and just an issue with overall quality. Getting your games to work needs to be a must before you criticize others.

Jackpot

Banned

It wasn't ambition, he is a compulsive liar and self-aggrandizer. See fake doctorate and the "neural net" claims.

Politics aside, you can see many similarities with Trump's behaviour, such as:

• outrageous statements packed with half-a-dozen blatant (and above all, completely unneeded) falsehoods
  • projection (everything he's accused CIG of being, he's done word-for-word)
  • reality-warping reasoning when the fruits of his labours and his past statements collide
  • unhealthy OTT obsessions
There's still some old Smart forums up, or you could just browse his behaviour on the more recent Steam discussions, but there's layer upon layer of stupidity and hypocrisy that gets lost from all the stories over time.

It wasn't ambition, he is a compulsive liar and self-aggrandizer. See fake doctorate and the "neural net" claims.

Politics aside, you can see many similarities with Trump's behaviour, such as:

• outrageous statements packed with half-a-dozen blatant (and above all, completely unneeded) falsehoods
  • projection (everything he's accused CIG of being, he's done word-for-word)
  • reality-warping reasoning when the fruits of his labours and his past statements collide
  • unhealthy OTT obsessions
There's still some old Smart forums up, or you could just browse his behaviour on the more recent Steam discussions, but there's layer upon layer of stupidity and hypocrisy that gets lost from all the stories over time.

oh is this the guy that said he was going to have Neural Net A.I in his game in the 90s and some NASA engineer actually responded to him laughing on a forum

Raticus79

http://imgur.com/zFKYAAY.gif

I'm assuming this is low gravity? That person jumping towards the middle of the gif looks like he flaps his arms after jumping and floats back down.

Oh yeah, that is a bit weird. I'm guessing that the height change is just part of a fixed animation, rather than jumping and being affected by gravity while the arm animation is doing its thing separately. People wouldn't be able to run around like that if it was that low.

Oh yeah, that is a bit weird. I'm guessing that the height change is just part of a fixed animation, rather than jumping and being affected by gravity while the arm animation is doing its thing separately. People wouldn't be able to run around like that if it was that low.

It didn't look like a jump at all. Didn't bend the knees just floated. The thrusters don't have that much force do they? Maybe the gravitational strength on that moon is closer to earth but not as strong. 80% maybe?

Good catch. They showed one of the devs playing around with low-grav in the latest AtV. Looks like it's the same moon.

https://youtu.be/Nwiielzbuws?t=626

Looks like you found it. That is near earth strength but obviously a bit weaker.

mnannola

Zyloh | CIG@Zyloh-CIG

That doesn't seem to really clarify how many systems they will have at launch does it?

Top Bottom