• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of Independent, Limited and Region Specific Retail Releases

ng7cIUx.png

Digital distribution has allowed for a growing surplus of fantastic games, but some folk lament the loss of having physical media released for the majority of titles. Retail games are something you can lend to a friend, get signed at a convention, leave on a shelf to look guiltily at when you realise it is still unopened or just to sell when you are done with it. While digital definitely is the king in terms of number of titles released there are still a decent amount of those games getting released on discs and cartridges. The issue being is that sometimes those titles get published in different regions than your own that, while your console can play it, you may not be aware of due to small print runs or tied to retailers that cause them to fly under the radar.

*https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WeCdh7o-ysnEIdqrxtGa8HT9_JL0MtejQ7edT_cz97o/

*Use the tabs at the bottom of the page to navigate between systems.

This document was created to track physical releases for previously digital only titles, upcoming physical indie games and ones that were released physically but not in all regions. It primarily focused on PAL and NTSC region games with notable Japanese only physical titles mentioned. The document is still a work in progress and something I will continue to plug away at over time; it is also currently skewed towards North America as I'm not as aware of games that don't release in PAL territories as I am ones in my own region. Please let me know when there are things I miss and I'll update it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I suggest putting Asia and Japan on separate tabs, maybe even splitting Asia to Korean and Traditional Chinese versions, since they don't always come out at the same time or in both regions at once.

TheMoon

Wii U:

Teslagrad
PAL only retail release (NTSC release was canned)

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
NTSC only retail release <-- you have this as released in PAL which is not true. Never was even announced for PAL.

Duck Tales Remastered
NTSC only retail release

I suggest putting Asia and Japan on separate tabs, maybe even splitting Asia to Korean and Traditional Chinese versions, since they don't always come out at the same time or in both regions at once.

Good idea; I'll give 2 columns a go and if there are any issues I will split it off into 3.

Wii U:

Teslagrad
PAL only retail release (NTSC release was canned)

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
NTSC only retail release <-- you have this as released in PAL which is not true. Never was even announced for PAL.

Duck Tales Remastered
NTSC only retail release

Thanks! Must have copied over the Giana Sisters listing from the PS4 page.

Clive

Noteworthy games in other languages than English should really be a separate list. It'll get too crowded and too subjective. Great work though.

Noteworthy games in other languages than English should really be a separate list. It'll get too crowded and too subjective. Great work though.

Worst case I'll just mark them as "Exclusive" or something along those lines instead of the usual "Released" so they can be easily filtered out.

Some cool games there that I didn't know were physical, I'm now looking to buy Okami HD (ps3) Resident Evil 1 (Ps3), Super Meatboy PS4 and Slain PS4, aswell as many future Limited Run releases

TheMoon

That would explain why I couldn't find it on Amazon.jp; I never thought to search for the proper name in that region.

while on the topic of Japan, you're also missing Shovel Knight 3DS there. came out alongside the amiibo a while ago. published by Nintendo.
same goes for Rock Man Legacy. You need to start googling the Japanese titles :D ...or just look at the gamefaqs pages^^
http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/166997-mega-man-legacy-collection/data

Sega Classics collection is also hitting EU soon, so add the upcoming bit. Same with Gunvolt Striker pack.

Art Academy: Atelier (Home Studio in US) received a physical disc release in EU and Japan
Pokémon Rumble World also came in retail form in Japan as Minna no Pokemon Scramble (Pokémon Rumble is always Pokémon Scramble over there)
again, hot tip: use gamefaqs, not amazon.

EU-only download code-in-a-box releases:
Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS) - physical media version in Japan (Pocket Soccer League: Calciobit)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (3DS/Wii U) - physical media version in Japan
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move + Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (3DS)
Star Fox Guard (Wii U)

while on the topic of Japan, you're also missing Shovel Knight 3DS there. came out alongside the amiibo a while ago. published by Nintendo.
same goes for Rock Man Legacy. You need to start googling the Japanese titles :D ...or just look at the gamefaqs pages^^
http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/166997-mega-man-legacy-collection/data

That's perfect! Thanks.

It's good to have something more concrete than store listings for tracking down other regions release info.

Semoreh

Like I said on the LRG topic, I've made a similar list myself for PS4 / Vita games only.

I'd say you're missing several ps4 games, including :
- Alienation (Asia)
- Caladrius Blaze (JP)
- Carmageddon
- Dead Synchronicity (PAL UK)
- Don't Starve
- Fat Princess Adventures (Asia)
Etc

Check my list if you can. It's in French but it can still be useful :)
http://www.senscritique.com/liste/P...eu_communs/1407057#page-1/order-alphabetique/

Your list was useful to me as well, I'd completely forgotten about Hotline Miami Collected <3

Like I said on the LRG topic, I've made a similar list myself for PS4 / Vita games only.

- Alienation (Asia)
- Caladrius Blaze (JP)
- Carmageddon
- Don't Starve
Etc

http://www.senscritique.com/liste/P...eu_communs/1407057#page-1/order-alphabetique/

Your list was useful to me as well, I'd completely forgotten about Hotline Miami Collected <3

Yeah, the PS4 page definitely needs more work; I'm missing the PAL Space Hulk games as well. When I'm back on my desktop later today I'm going to put some more time into the documents.

I'll be sure double to check against your list though, thanks!

ephemeral

- Alienation (Asia)
- Caladrius Blaze (JP)
- Carmageddon
- Don't Starve
Etc

Great job comparing the lists :). Missing one game to complete a collection would be devastating ;).

We've got the retail release of Earth's Dawn for PS4 (digital only on XB1) out now in PAL territories and upcoming this month for NTSC ones.

ps4_earths_dawn.jpg

There is also a retail copy of Don't Starve popping up on certain online listings as well. It's not confirmed as far as I can tell but seeing as this scenario was the same for other 505 releases like Abzu it's likely a physical copy of Don't Starve is happening on XB1/PS4.

ps4_dont_starve.jpg
xb1_dont_starve.jpg

We have another retailer listing of an unannounced game. The Adult Swim collection on PS4 that would include Rainworld, Duck Game and Headlander.

Adult Swim Games, the interactive arm of Cartoon Network's adult programming, presents a collection of their finest, most highly anticipated releases for 2016, in one awesome package. The collection features &#8220;Headlander&#8221; from Double Fine Productions, &#8220;Rain World&#8221; and &#8220;Duck Game&#8221;.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIH0VE8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

emb

This is a cool thread. Don't know how I've missed it for so long.

Love to see digital games getting physical releases. It'd be cool if people also share impressions; I can't speak for everyone, but I've completely just ignored digital games for a long time. So I often don't have any idea what many of these games are. Good thing though, is that most will already have reviews out there some place since they're older.

Clive

Came across a couple of errors in the Doc:

Star Fox Guard is for some reason in the 3DS section when it should be in the Wii U section.

Siren: Blood Curse on the PS3 has both an Asian and European physical version in English, only the Asian is listed

To add:
Resident Evil (REmake) PS3 had an Asian physical release in English (package name: Resident Evil).

Darkstalkers Resurrection (package name: Vampire Resurrection) had an Asian physical release fully in English and a Japanese release mostly in English. Edit: on the PS3 and at least the Japanese one exists on Xbox 360.

Came across a couple of errors in the Doc:

Star Fox Guard is for some reason in the 3DS section when it should be in the Wii U section.

Siren: Blood Curse on the PS3 has both an Asian and European physical version in English, only the Asian is listed

To add:
Resident Evil (REmake) PS3 had an Asian physical release in English (package name: Resident Evil).

Darkstalkers Resurrection (package name: Vampire Resurrection) had an Asian physical release fully in English and a Japanese release mostly in English.

Thanks!

Semoreh

We have another retailer listing of an unannounced game. The Adult Swim collection on PS4 that would include Rainworld, Duck Game and Headlander.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIH0VE8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Will check this out. I heard Headlander was good !

King's Quest has been released on PS4 a few days ago (and other consoles). From what I read the 4 first episodes are on disc, the last one is downloadable (which is pretty dumb but hey).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0125NDB28/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Will check this out. I heard Headlander was good !

King's Quest has been released on PS4 a few days ago (and other consoles). From what I read the 4 first episodes are on disc, the last one is downloadable (which is pretty dumb but hey).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0125NDB28/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah, I still need to go through that and all the Telltale releases and get them added. The partial season stuff is a bummer though, but hopefully at least Telltale will continue do a second print of their games with everything on the disc like they are doing with Minecraft: Story Mode.

CNCOMICS

Pretty cool.
I know it's on life support, but I suggest a Vita page. Here's a few games off the top of my head that got physical releases in regards to US/and or English support:
* Airship Q (JPN: There is an English patch that you can download via a software update)
* WRC 4 - (PAL: No DLC, Multiplayer works fine last time I checked in 2013, its release year)
* Tales of Heart R - (NA - Gamestop Exclusive, DLC is region locked)
* One Piece - Unlimited World Red - (NA - Gamestop Exclusive, DLC is region locked)
* DJ Max Technika Tune (Sold directly from Pentavision at time of release, can be found via eBay or Amazon)

Epic Mickey 2 - (PAL; appears delisted from PSN for Vita when searched via NA & UK PSN's as of 11/11/16)
Little Kings Story - (PAL; alot of DLC that's region locked; I own the NA PSN version)

Note: The * is for the physical Vita games I own.

For the interested, Wikipedia is also good place to find out which games were released physically. Just type: "List of (x) games" where (x) is your console of choice.

Semoreh

Pretty cool.
I know it's on life support, but I suggest a Vita page. Here's a few games off the top of my head that got physical releases in regards to US/and or English support:
* Airship Q (JPN: There is an English patch that you can download via a software update)
* WRC 4 - (PAL: No DLC, Multiplayer works fine last time I checked in 2013, its release year)
* One Piece - Unlimited World Red - (NA - Gamestop Exclusive, DLC is region locked)
* DJ Max Technika Tune (Sold directly from Pentavision at time of release, can be found via eBay or Amazon)

Epic Mickey 2 - (PAL; appears delisted from PSN for Vita when searched via NA & UK PSN's as of 11/11/16)
Little Kings Story - (PAL; alot of DLC that's region locked; I own the NA PSN version)

For the interested, Wikipedia is also good place to find out which games were released physically. Just type: "List of (x) games" where (x) is your console of choice.

Some of these games are not independant or region specific though. Tales of Hearts and One Piece jump to mind. I would be surprised if WRC and Epic Mickey were region specific too but maybe :)

CNCOMICS

Some of these games are not independant or region specific though. Tales of Hearts and One Piece jump to mind. I would be surprised if WRC and Epic Mickey were region specific too but maybe :)

I thought this thread was about info and/or obtaining physical releases outside of your normal region.

Pretty cool.

Figured Dallow_bg's list of physical Vita games had it covered. I have it linked on the front page of my doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KcCRxt7dEM3xAGftHl8nPLiJSaRLK5HhGy7Ojt21z-I/edit#gid=0

Semoreh

I thought this thread was about info and/or obtaining physical releases outside of your normal region.

It is about either independant games that had a physical releases or games that can't be obtained physically in at least one region (but can be understood by your normal English player).

In your list, Technika Tune fits the bill.
Little King's Story too.
I checked and Epic Mickey 2 indeed was only released in the UK for the Vita.

One piece has been released everywhere.
Tales of Hearts too.
They shouldn't be included.

Airship Q is a bit special since the game needs a patch to be playable in English. I wouldn't include it but that's me.

So we've got Firewatch coming this year for PS4 via Limited Run Games.

CxZ2TJBUAAAh10G.jpg:small

Since I'm already posting there was something else that flew under my radar that I figured was worth mentioning. Turns out the release of Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved wasn't just limited to PS4 (even GameFAQs doesn't have the physical XB1 copy listed) like I had believed since it was also shipped on XB1 last month. Seems to be US only from the looks of it though.

133721b.jpg

The IndieGoGo page for Indivisible was updated with details on the physical limited edition available from said site. There should be a standard release from 505 Games when the title releases in 2018.

Cxa2z6aUkAQGlLa.png:small

SOEDESCO is bringing over the, previously PAL exclusive, PS4 release of Tower of Guns: Special Edition this month (22nd) to NSTC regions. XB1 copies are still limited to PAL regions only.

51jx0Ur0nHL._SX215_.jpg

Top Bottom