• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

This TV supports Dolby Vision! A little good bit of future-proofing in there!

Wow, really? I'm not in the market right now (happy with my P55-C1 for the time being) but I'm just impressed by the price to quality ratio of this thing. I'll be recommending it to friends if they want a budget upgrade option.

gamz

I want the 50" since this is going in a bedroom and 55" is just crazy

i really want a 43", but paying an extra $100 (sony) for a smaller screen seems like a stupid idea.

No, it's not. I have a 50" in mine and it's looking small. You have to get at least a 50".

So I think I'm sold on this. Perfect bedroom TV.

Corey31

Disappointing if they don't bring this to Canada. I might have to settle for the Vizio 2017 M-Series (which has similar picture quality but about triple the input lag).

ncslamm

I own the best buy version and it's an insanely good gaming TV. HDR looks amazing. I definitely would recommend it.

Ashhong

Just got a 60" Vizio but this is making me want to upgrade already. Only paid 300$ for the Vizio though so might be able to sell it off and buy this instead...

Bgamer90

Banned
I was dead set on getting the 65" Sony X900E but this TCL is MUCH better for HDR gaming... has half the input lag and the 65" model will probably be half the price.

I'll more than likely get this TV once the 65" model is available.

alexbull_uk

That input lag is fantastic for a big TV with HDR and everything.

If this were available in the UK I would have already ordered one.

That gray-screen uniformity would be a deal-killer for me. I cannot stand the dirty-screen-effect (DSE), especially in video games. I've returned many otherwise-good LCD sets over the years because of it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
am i gonna be a fighting game and FPS champ after buying this set? stay tuned.

That gray-screen uniformity would be a deal-killer for me. I cannot stand the dirty-screen-effect (DSE), especially in video games. I've returned many otherwise-good LCD sets over the years because of it.

this and black uniformity (some corner clouds/flashlighting on mine) are my main complaints so far after owning it for a few days. we'll see how i feel about it. unfortunately bb only offers a 15 day return window.

gogogow

I'd assume the Samsung KS8000 or whatever model number it has in Europe. It's going to be more expensive though and it's a Samsung. I'm done with them personally.

The KS8000 at the same size (55 inch) is literally 3x the price, €1599/$1790, of this TCL TV for €535/$599.

Anyway, this TCL 4K TV seems like a really good TV, you're getting crazy good value for that kind of money. The only bad thing is the gray screen uniformity. The viewing angles aren't great either, but I doubt you are gonna sit in front of the TV at such an angle.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The KS8000 at the same size (55 inch) is literally 3x the price, €1599/$1790, of this TCL TV for €535/$599.

Anyway, this TCL 4K TV seems like a really good TV, you're getting crazy good value for that kind of money. The only bad thing is the gray screen uniformity. The viewing angles aren't great either, but I doubt you are gonna sit in front of the TV at such an angle.

I don't think anywhere is selling that for msrp but you cant really find the ks8000 new anymore. It's a discontinued 2016 set. People are comparing the prices for Groupon deals for refurbished sets or close out deals that most people won't be able to take advantage of.

phanphare

Banned
yeah I bit on the best buy version of this tv

I get it next week, excited to try it out

that input lag is god damn glorious

Mr. Robot

I have a TCL TV i bought in 2012, i can say they are great, my family has bought many tvs over these years and mine still looks the best.

splattered

Wife and I went into Best Buy and purchased three of these... will be available for pickup in a few days.

Replacing three older/broken TVs in the house, so i'll have to obsessively inspect all three of these over the course of the next 15 days to make sure we are 100% happy with the panels.

Will be a pain in the butt but worth it... I ALWAYS bought Samsung or LG TVs in the past so hoping these work out as a decent cheaper alternative.

Rbk_3

Looks great, but that grey uniformity is unfortunate for sports fans. Hopefully they just got a bad set in that regard.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wife and I went into Best Buy and purchased three of these... will be available for pickup in a few days.

Replacing three older/broken TVs in the house, so i'll have to obsessively inspect all three of these over the course of the next 15 days to make sure we are 100% happy with the panels.

Will be a pain in the butt but worth it... I ALWAYS bought Samsung or LG TVs in the past so hoping these work out as a decent cheaper alternative.

funny when i recognize crossposting with avs :D

interested to hear how your different panels fare. mine has the uniformity issues that rtings mentioned and 3-4 dead pixels (impossible to see from viewing positions). but i dunno if i want to bother with an exchange as those are ocd level things and this is a budget set.

Rbk_3

interested to hear how your different panels fare. mine has the uniformity issues that rtings mentioned and 3-4 dead pixels (impossible to see from viewing positions). but i dunno if i want to bother with an exchange as those are ocd level things and this is a budget set.

Don't be like me. I returned 2 Vizio P Series, 2 Vizio M, and a KS8500 due to uniformity issues before settling on a near perfect KS8000. I think my wife was about ready to divorce me lol

splattered

Haha yeah I saw a few posts here that mirrored discussions on AVS :p

I'm a bit OCD but not too bad... But I did go through 2 LG LCD panels and also 2 on my Samsung LCD before settling on what I thought was acceptable (FYI my Samsung LCD is at least 8 years old and still running solid where other brands have all failed) so curious to see how long the TCL last. Then again these are budget sets so if they last at least 2 years before breaking I won't be too upset.

Rbk_3

How important is that gray uniformity? I watch a lot of college football and that's about it.

From Rtings

Gray uniformity describes how well a TV is able to maintain a single, uniform color on the screen. Uniformity issues can look like darker patches around the screen, with corners and edges especially susceptible to looking darker than intended. It’s particularly an issue for sports, where darker patches on the screen can affect the look of playing surfaces.

To evaluate gray uniformity, we take a photograph of the screen while it is displaying a single, solid color. Using that picture, we calculate both the standard deviation of the color values of the pixels across the entire screen, and the number and severity of darker patches in the center of the screen (where they matter most).

When it matters
You’re most likely to notice gray uniformity issues while watching sports, since playing surfaces are usually large stretches of a single color. Dirty screen effect will also be most obvious when there is a panning shot during sports. Most non-sports media tends to be a bit more varied, so you shouldn’t have gray uniformity issues with anything else unless your TV has particularly poor uniformity.

Yep, buying this one too as a second one for my living room. Have an expensive LG in living room, but that's a temporary luxury till my brother that is coming back from texas comes to pick it up.

IKizzLE

Personal opinion, this is the tv I'm going to buy for my pro and wait till 2019/2020 for a cheaper Panasonic/Sony OLED panel and a ps5.

Not trying to make a 2000+ dollar investment on Tv's that are still pricey and improving rapidly year over year for a console that mainly does checkerboard 4k.

Top Bottom