• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Forked me again: They sold me a demo disc

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I stopped buying used games from simply because of the conditioning, stupid stickers and one incident where I went home and bought a new game which they apparently opened for display but went home and there was nothing in it.

lostzenfound

Not only does Gamestop allow their employees to take home games, but Barnes and Noble (same company, for those not in the know) allows their employees to take home books and then the store sells those as new. How 'bout that shasta?

Electronics Boutique in Australia is a great store.

They price match, they offer insurance and they have a 7 day money back policy even if the game is open. If you happen to get an "opened" game you can simply ask for another one. I've received two open copies in my years of shopping there: one I took home anyway (because I don't give a shit, really) and one I asked for still in its wrapping because it was a gift.

I don't understand the hate.

NPC

lostzenfound said:
Barnes and Noble (same company, for those not in the know)
GASP
I knew I hated that store for some deep-down reason!
Besides the fact I dislike "pleasure-reading"

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
i would say that this isnt gamespots faullt, cept they sold you a 'new' game that someeone else had sold to them.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
eudaemonic said:
*laughing that this story is now on the front page of that joyful stick site*
Yeah, I noticed that. Why is that site wordfiltered, anyways? This helpful post cites misinformation, but can I get some details on that? It seems kinda odd to wordfilter them if they cite GAF as a source for a story every once in a while...

BobTheFork said:
Last week when I was in Gamestop, there was a new copy of Steambot chronicles on the wall. I had some extra cash today so I went by to see if it was still there. It was, so I grabbed it and a used game and left. I didn't look at the disc much when I placed in the ps3. I started playing about an hour ago and when I finally got to a save point I was told you can't save during the demo version. O-o I pull out the disc and finally take a look at it.
[Image]

It was hard to miss once I looked.

[Image]

Tilt that to the light and it clearly reads 'Not for resale Demo Disc'

That right there? Bullshit.

john tv

GameStop/EB is a shithole, though. Kinda your fault for shopping there, right?

When I'm in the US, I buy most of my games at Best Buy or via Amazon. Most of those specialty retail shops are complete shite.

Cheerilee

twinturbo2 said:
Yeah, I noticed that. Why is that site wordfiltered, anyways? This helpful post cites misinformation, but can I get some details on that? It seems kinda odd to wordfilter them if they cite GAF as a source for a story every once in a while...
I think that in general, GAF hates blogs because all they do is take news from other places, add some comments, maybe some biased spin, sensationalize it, and pretend it's a news story. And then people fall for it, and it snowballs. That's not the job of a news organization. Those kinds of antics are more suited to a message board like GAF. Oh wait, even GAF antics count as news in the world of blogs.

The only blogs GAF likes are the small ones that keep to themselves. Kotaku is an exception because one of the things they threw at a wall to see if it stuck turned out to be true once, and they had the balls to stand behind it when threatened, instead of retracting it and handing us more random lies that they hoped might turn out to be the truth.

After a search, I'm not sure if this incident was what caused Joystick [deliberate typo] to get banned, or if they were already banned.

Mamesj

Banned
ruby_onix said:
this incident was what caused Joystick [deliberate typo] to get banned, or if they were already banned.

That was definitely a low point in blog history. I still hate the site for that. and destructoid as well, since they picked up whatever-his-name-is from joys-tick immediately after that incident, so apparently that's the kind of news they want on their blog (that and the topless halo 3 thing was just complete trash.)

tanod

when is my burrito
I saw that Fuckstiq picked this up yesterday. Did you ever get this figured out Bob? Get a refund or exchange for a new one?

Cheech

Magnus said:
. The philosophy behind gutting vs. using a glass display like Wal-Mart is that gutting at least allows a consumer to handle a game, pick it up in their hands and look it over, even peruse the manual in most stores that gut discs but leave documentation in the game cases. .

This is exactly why I buy nearly all of my games from Gamestop. I often peruse the manual of a game I'm interested in. This is especially critical for kids games, i.e. can my 4 year old play this one or are the controls too complicated for him.

Once in awhile I do buy the last copy of a game and get the gutted copy, but I don't complain, because a) the game is still scratch free and brand new, and b) I've been the beneficiary of the practice many times over.

You guys can have your big box stores who keep the games in a glass case or in little plastic coffins, I'll keep my Gamestop.

i saw this on ******* this morning too.

i can't talk for your Gamestop, but i work part time at an EB, and i've made a similar (though not identical) mistake. this one actually benefitted the customer, but it's probably a similar story to how you ended up getting a demo disc as a full game.

the other week on a particularly busy day, someone traded in a stack of games... half of them weren't in cases. we've got two tills and a long queue is building up at the other one as i'm processing this guys trades. so as i'm manually entering the caseless games into the system as fast as i can to open up the till i'm using for sales again, i don't notice that the copy of black i take in as a trade is infact a black demo disk.

only later that night when things have quietened down, does the person putting the discs into the envelopes notice my mistake. if i'd been putting the discs away that night i'd probably not have noticed the mistake, and we'd have had a black demo disc labelled as the full game.

you know yourself that it's easy not to notice at a glance that a demo disc isn't the full version as you managed to get it out of the case and into the system without noticing.

so, that's what likely happened. if you take it back and explain there shouldn't be any issue getting it sorted... and if there is you should just take your complaint higher.

basically, you've fallen victim to a geniuine mistake by a low level, minimum wage employee, rather than some insidious business practice of some evil nationwide corporation.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ruby_onix said:
I think that in general, GAF hates blogs because all they do is take news from other places, add some comments, maybe some biased spin, sensationalize it, and pretend it's a news story. And then people fall for it, and it snowballs. That's not the job of a news organization. Those kinds of antics are more suited to a message board like GAF. Oh wait, even GAF antics count as news in the world of blogs.

The only blogs GAF likes are the small ones that keep to themselves. Kotaku is an exception because one of the things they threw at a wall to see if it stuck turned out to be true once, and they had the balls to stand behind it when threatened, instead of retracting it and handing us more random lies that they hoped might turn out to be the truth.

After a search, I'm not sure if this incident was what caused Joystick [deliberate typo] to get banned, or if they were already banned.
Thanks. If they're still using GAF as a source, then why not throw an olive branch their way? You can't hold a grudge forever...

Anyways, getting back on topic, the Gamestop I frequent has some good guys there. Hell, one of the guys working there lives in the same dorm as me! They're all good people there. It just comes down to each individual store, I suppose.

Top Bottom