• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 build quality is garbage. Why would Sony make such a cheap controller?

gatti-man

Of all the controllers, the DS4 is easily the best. I had heard of ow amazing the XB1 controller was for so long, and when I finally picked one up, I couldn't believe how cheap it felt in comparison. Far too light, the bumpers seemed to be made of thin plastic, and the trigger action left a lot to be desired. The rumble triggers were nice, but overall I was very let down. The DS4 controller has always felt solid, and I've never had a problem with any of my DS4s, DS3s, DS2s, and even DS1s.

They are now ok. My launch controller was terrible, the replacement I bought wasnt great. The third I bought is finally holding up. At launch the ds4 was cheap crap, that was my experience. This thread is pretty old.

Atlas157

The funny thing is that my blue DS4 from when it released is still flawless, but my newer XB1 controller has a squeaky left trigger.

Didn't even look to see who bumped this, haha.

I love the DS4, honestly, and it seems like the least cheap of the DS controllers to me. Now, the analog sticks wearing out is weird as hell (though I did find very good replacements on Amazon that are NOT the Grip-IT ones), but I love the triggers, the tight feeling of all the buttons, the touchpad's location and how it feels to swipe, the share button's location and existence, etc.

It's a lovely controller that's weighed down by battery life but overall feels great to use.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Have 5 DS4s including my launch controller. I've had no issues with any of them

Maybe some people are harder on their controllers than me? *shrug* outside the battery life the DS4 is my all time favorite controller

SpecX

The newer models are solid, but the launch models were pure garbage. I remember dropping it from the couch to the carpet and the plastic on the left handle popped in, unable to be corrected. I still am pissed at Sony for not offering an elite controller though.

Espada

I have two DS4s which I alternate between. Both of them have started presenting problems, one has an R2 button that is worthless for racing games. Why? I can't accelerate beyond a certain amount, so the car just trots around the track. The other has an X button so soft I can shake the controller and games will register an X-input.

I'm looking into some third party controllers to replace these. Any suggestions out there?

Grip tore on one of my launch controllers, but I blame Bloodborne, DMC4:SE, and Rocket League for that haha. All my others have been fine though, especially the newer ones.

Fake edit: Didn't realize this was bump.

Kickz

Its amazing how revolutionary Dual Shock controller used to be, now Nintendo Pro Controller and Xbox ONe controller are miles ahead in quality

Redd

Nah. DS4 is the best playstation controller. Battery is crap and the trigger buttons are finicky but still the best. I can actually play shooters with it compared to the prior 3.

Now those ps2 controllers are straight garbage. Fight me.

I'm looking into some third party controllers to replace these. Any suggestions out there?

If you love fighting games Hori has you covered if you don't mind some bulk.

My anecdote? I feel like I can crush the grips with my bare hands as they give and creak with decent pressure. They've always felt flimsy overall and if you are company trying to cut costs and make money, it's expected. Not a trend exclusive to Sony (see: Apple).

Nah. DS4 is the best playstation controller. Battery is crap and the trigger buttons are finicky but still the best. I can actually play shooters with it compared to the prior 3.

Now those ps2 controllers are straight garbage. Fight me.

Agreed. Build quality and battery aside the PS2 and PS3 controllers felt like shit

It was always annoying going from 360 or even the wii pro to the DS.

ocean

Banned
The Brook adapter ❤️ It's perfect.

You plug that USB into your PS4 then hook an Xbox controller in. You lose out on wireless and controller 3.5mm audio but it's so worth it. Being able to use a XBO controller on ps4 has been an absolute godsend for me.

I never owned a 360 and I still don't own an XBO but Xbox controllers are so so so so so much better than Dualshocks for me they're not even in the same league.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The newer models are solid, but the launch models were pure garbage. I remember dropping it from the couch to the carpet and the plastic on the left handle popped in, unable to be corrected. I still am pissed at Sony for not offering an elite controller though.
I've had my dualshock 4 since probably 2 weeks before ps4 consoles were available and it's still going strong with no issues at all.
Say what you want about battery life though.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Aside from going with USB Mini and the shitty rubber on their sticks, the controllers are solid. I have 2, official dock and bluetooth dongle by Asus. Best setup I could ask for and going from PC to PS4 is as easy as turning dong off and on again.

telasoman

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Have 5 DS4s including my launch controller. I've had no issues with any of them

Maybe some people are harder on their controllers than me? *shrug* outside the battery life the DS4 is my all time favorite controller

Aye. I have 3 launch controllers and all three are holding up great. One of them is my PC controller.

All 3 work perfectly well still. They all at least have 100 hours of play on them, if not closer to 200.

My buddy has gone through 2 already, and I know for a fact hes really hard on them.

Using input mapper on my computer and disabling the light bar with it, makes the battery life double.

My all time favorite controller overall.

Neonep

I have 2 DS4's, one is a launch one and the other is a 20th anniversary one. Both of them are still solid and have never had any issues with them. One the other hand I don't treat my controllers like shit and know how to handle things unlike some of you guys. Like the whole rubber on the sticks issue, how the fuck are ya'll holding your controllers and how much force are ya'll applying?

schopaia

Consumers are hyper sensitive to perceived price 'gouging'. Just read one of the threads here about Nintendo upping the price $10 DOLLARS with the switch pro controller. Sony can't raise the price on games, can't raise the price on controllers, but CAN cut build quality (console itself is also a creaky, rattly POS).

phanboy4

My near-launch DS4 is fine after years of heavy use.

If you wanna talk about Sony controllers that feel cheap, try going back to a DS3. The buttons are miserable and the sticks feel way worse.

In the process of getting a third party controller or an adapter. More because the design of it just doesn't work for me (non offset sticks, cheap sticks with slippery grip, not ergonomic for non tiny hands). Sucks that third party are all wired for the good ones but I wire up my DS4 now anyway with a ten foot USB cable since the battery life is so poor.

pswii60

I have no issues with the build quality. Still got an original DS4 from 2013 that's had plenty of use and still in perfect condition.

The battery life on the other hand, what a pain. I'm surprised they haven't sorted that yet.

Redd

My near-launch DS4 is fine after years of heavy use.

If you wanna talk about Sony controllers that feel cheap, try going back to a DS3. The buttons are miserable and the sticks feel way worse.

PS2 controllers were so garbage I resorted to buying knockoff Spider-Man controllers. The L1R1L2R2 buttons were made of the most brittle of pieces. DS4 are the best Sony has made so far.

Both my MGSV limited edition one and launch PS4 Pro DS4 V2 controller hold up pretty well and do not show signs of any damage.

On the other hand, the battery life lasts maximum 7-8 hours which is not bad, but could have been a lot better.

LAM09

My launch controller battery lasts 5 hours at best now and my recently bought V2 controller seems to have an issue with the left analog.

It came to my attention whilst playing through Crash and I expect it to worsen. Will probably have to contact Sony

Placement of the USB mini port is awful. Puts pressure on the wire if you charge with a standard cable and set it down. My charge cable that came with the console stopped working due to this. Also, the placement of the triggers causes them to depress accidentally when watching Netflix and laying the controller down. I haven't had these issues with any other controller. Finally, my dpads are sticking and make an awful click noise now. My PS4 is only a year and a half old. Overall, the DS4 is ergonomic, but these nusances along with the other well-documented issues are hard to ignore.

Rellik

Placement of the USB mini port is awful. Puts pressure on the wire if you charge with a standard cable and set it down. My charge cable that came with the console stopped working due to this. Also, the placement of the triggers causes them to depress accidentally when watching Netflix and laying the controller down. I haven't had these issues with any other controller. Finally, my dpads are sticking and make an awful click noise now. My PS4 is only a year and a half old. Overall, the DS4 is ergonomic, but these nusances along with the other well-documented issues are hard to ignore.

Placement of the USB mini port is perfect for me because I have the official charging dock and it means the controller just slots right in and is always fully charged.

But saying thst, they're definitely cheap rattling POS controllers. They feel like knock offs, not official Sony made hardware.

I'm close to getting an adapter so I can use my Elite controller on the PS4.

My launch controller sticks wore out almost instantly. The DS4 that shipped with the Pro is superior in almost every way. Sticks show no wear since November and it feels solid. I can't see anyone complaining about the current revision of the DS4.

By comparison, my Switch Pro con has a loose handle and the sticks are clicky when you move them all the way up.

Head.spawn

The Brook adapter ❤️ It's perfect.

You plug that USB into your PS4 then hook an Xbox controller in. You lose out on wireless and controller 3.5mm audio but it's so worth it. Being able to use a XBO controller on ps4 has been an absolute godsend for me.

I never owned a 360 and I still don't own an XBO but Xbox controllers are so so so so so much better than Dualshocks for me they're not even in the same league.

Does the Brook Super Converter work with the Xbox One Wireless Controller Dongle thingy?

They are now ok. My launch controller was terrible, the replacement I bought wasnt great. The third I bought is finally holding up. At launch the ds4 was cheap crap, that was my experience. This thread is pretty old.
Ah well that's good to hear at least. And yea, it's old all right! But still a good place to go over these matters no doubt :D

chemicals

Once upon a time I was a Dual Shock defender and I thought it was the best controller ever (ps1, ps2 days) but in hindsight it is not a great controller. However THANK GOD they ditched the old design for the new feel of the PS4 controller. If you think back, This is almost like a golden age of controllers with the DS4 and Xbone controllers being very very good.

I completely disagree. I have used 3 different DS4 controllers without a single issue.

Honestly I would love to use a DS4 on my Xbox One and N Switch.

I had the one that came with my system just completely die and refuse to turn on or charge. The one I bought since then seems to be of better quality in terms of the sticks, and I also got the official charger that charges through the bottom port which I like a lot more than the flimsy USB at the top.

The battery life still just makes me sad compared to my Xone controller though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've never had an official Sony dualshock brand controller fail me, and I've owned all the iterations. Never had a complaint.

Wedzi

Banned
I recently got a PS4 after years of Xbox One use and I will say the PS4 controller quality was pretty disappointing. The controller feels super light and hollow compared the the XB1 controller, like it's made of cheaper plastic. The triggers feel super cheap too. Then there's the battery life. I heard bad things about it but was still surprised at how quickly it drained.

I wonder if Sony had to cut corners with the added features like the LED light, touchpad, and internal battery when compared to the Xbox One controller where the only real extra feature is the rumble triggers.

Haven't used a Switch Pro controller yet so I can't really compare. It's interesting reading other people's feelings. Kind of all over the place but with a slight towards hating on the PS4 controller.

Adding my two cents.

In 2017 I added two DS4 V2 to my collection. The first one was a Magma Red I got in february, and it surprised me that it felt miles better than my old 2015 DS4. It felt more solid, better tact and the sticks have a much thicker and rougher rubber that feels like it could withstand anything and gives a better grip. Having to charge it is a rare thing (although i don't play a lot lately)

Then two weeks ago I bought a PS4 Pro, and the V2 that came with it felt so different that I began to question if one of them was fake. It has a nastier tactile feeling when holding it, the sticks have less resistance than the Magma Red and the rubber coating looks more like the original models. For some reason it's giving me a fragile feel that I don't get from the red one.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/pA6FLVa.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kq5AOI9.jpg[/img]

A free advice for everyone:

Don't use the same DualShock 4 for both single player and online multiplayer mode, if you can, use a dedicated controller exclusively for each of them

Jumeira

Banned
Still have no idea how the forced light, which is useless to most gamers was approved. They need to allow users with no camera to turn it off.

Of all the controllers, the DS4 is easily the best. I had heard of ow amazing the XB1 controller was for so long, and when I finally picked one up, I couldn't believe how cheap it felt in comparison. Far too light, the bumpers seemed to be made of thin plastic, and the trigger action left a lot to be desired. The rumble triggers were nice, but overall I was very let down. The DS4 controller has always felt solid, and I've never had a problem with any of my DS4s, DS3s, DS2s, and even DS1s.

The Xbox One controller is 9.9 ounces vs. the 7.4 ounces the DS4 weighs, so the lighter claim you say is utter bullshit.

Saying that the super light DS controllers have felt like solid quality since DS1 makes you think this is the one you've always just played with and don't like a difference. I always think the DS controllers feel to light, except DS1 as it weighed more than the standard d-pad only version. From DS2 and upwards the plastic feels light, bendable and cheap for me.

Still have no idea how the forced light, which is useless to most gamers was approved. They need to allow users with no camera to turn it off.

I use it with steam, so it can be turned off completely :p Still, I keep the light on at the minimum possible brightness since I have no other way of knowing if the gamepad is still on.

Adding my two cents.

In 2017 I added two DS4 V2 to my collection. The first one was a Magma Red I got in february, and it surprised me that it felt miles better than my old 2015 DS4. It felt more solid, better tact and the sticks have a much thicker and rougher rubber that feels like it could withstand anything and gives a better grip. Having to charge it is a rare thing (although i don't play a lot lately)

Then two weeks ago I bought a PS4 Pro, and the V2 that came with it felt so different that I began to question if one of them was fake. It has a nastier tactile feeling when holding it, the sticks have less resistance than the Magma Red and the rubber coating looks more like the original models. For some reason it's giving me a fragile feel that I don't get from the red one.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/pA6FLVa.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kq5AOI9.jpg[/img]

Fake controllers feel more rigid, specially the analog sticks. They feel hard and unresponsive.

HanSoloItsTrue.gif

It's finally happening to me. My launch era controllers are giving way. R2 button on one of them is loose/getting stuck. Analog grips are peeling off.

:(

Fake controllers feel more rigid, specially the analog sticks. They feel hard and unresponsive.

It came from amazon itself, so I don't think is a fake one. I can't notice any differences in button behaviour and sound, analogs don't get stuck and charges in the same way. They are just a bit harder than the new black one, but I have had zero issues. And I've been playing Dark Souls 3 and Bayonetta with this without issues.

Top Bottom