• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chocobo Hot & Cold is the fucking worst thing ever

Traxtech

Hahaha, you're going to lose it when you hit X and the lightning dodging. or even the chocobo time trial (which i had no issue with, but alot of people do)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's super relaxing. I remember first playing it as my family were planning out what to do over the holidays that year.

It wasn't until nearly a decade later that I did a playthrough where I really got into it and did everything.

In truth its the only really good minigame in IX. Tetra Master sucks shit and the other games like jump rope and the play fight are too damn hard.

Estoc

I can think of worse FF mini games, OP.

13EoJ.png

I was so close to the ending, but this... this stopped me from going forward, and playing altogether. I think I can safely say this is one of the worst mini games in games.

Mailbox

Wtf, Hot & Cold is my fav mini-game, and I really enjoyed the chocographs.
Felt like a lil treasure hunt where I had to get an good understanding of the world. They aren't even randomized, they are the same every time you play the game, and I think only a couple are actually unfair in their clues. The timing of when you get new chocographs isn't randomized either iirc. It's usually based on how many you have before, what location you are playing hot and cold, and how many items you got in a given round.

As for the actual hot and cold minigame, it can be slow and tedious at first, but once you get more places, coloured chocobos, higher levels, and you start going at blistering speeds just to try getting bonus times, bonus items, and bonus scores, it becomes blissful fun.

JC Lately

I'll stand with you, OP. I hated this mini game SO MUCH. So random, such a time sync and that music! That horrible repetitive music. I'd sooner play 1000 hands of Triple Triad than ever touch CH&C again.

I love chocobo hot and cold. However, as much as I love IX, Tetra Master is complete shit.

Though if we are engaging in complete hyperbole with "fucking worst thing ever," the only qualifying FF minigame to me has to be the absolute garbage chocobo race in FFX. Getting a time of under 0.00 is just as much luck as skill and steering that stupid chocobo without bumping into invisible walls or getting chained by birds is a nightmare. It's not even possible to get the required time if you don't get the right setup of balloons, which is totally random. I was once got a time of exactly 0.00 as a kid, which made me largely give up on X's bullshit minigames.

It wasn't until years later with the hd remaster that I finally got Tidus's sigil. I also discovered that the other minigames everyone complains about in X, such as the butterfly catching and lightning dodging, aren't actually that bad.

I also enjoy blitzball, as nonsensical a sport as it may be.

Having never heard of the thread topic before, I assumed this was about some sort of delicious chocolatey beverage ala nesquik.

Confession: I've never played a single FF game, somehow.

AgeEighty

Triple Triad was awesome but I couldn't get into Tetra Master. Somebody should make a thread about that instead. ;)

I think TM is the superior card game. The rules aren't well explained in game, but basically it takes the simple number comparisons of TT and replaces them with more RPG-ish elements: monster type strengths and weaknesses, and die rolls. Once you figure out what the hell the numbers and letters represent, it really clicks.

H&C is one of the best minigames in the PS1 trilogy, OP. I'm sorry that you can't recognize greatness when it walks across your face.
Triple Triad was awesome but I couldn't get into Tetra Master. Somebody should make a thread about that instead. ;)

Tetra Master is bullshit because it's entirely revolved around hexadecimal values that are randomized. Nobody in their right mind should like it.
The rules aren't well explained in game, but basically it takes the simple number comparisons of TT and replaces them with more RPG-ish elements: monster type strengths and weaknesses, and die rolls. Once you figure out what the hell the numbers and letters represent, it really clicks.

There's none of this, the results are randomized.

I really hated the chocobo stuff in 8, but finished it anyway. Hot and cold is so fucking bad I couldn't finish it

OP is the only other sane person here

Zephyx

Actually liked it than most of the minigames in FFX. The chocobo racing in FFX was the worst if you actually played it. Out of all the FF minigames, I enjoyed Triple Triad the most.

AgeEighty

There's none of this, the results are randomized.

That's why I mentioned "die rolls". The numbers on the cards represent die, but better cards still give you better odds, and there are offensive and defensive matchups of physical vs. magical types that further change how matchups work. The results are not fully randomized.

Lutherian

I hated this too in FF IX. Glad to see that I'm not alone !

Now I need to find someone else who don't like Pulp Fiction...

I can understand where the OP is coming from, it can get tedious digging aimlessly, just waiting for the next chocograph to come up when it just doesn't. I used to get so frustrated at that.

At the same time, the music is great, the base gameplay is fine and holt shit, there's so much worse out there in the series. Hell, even in this game.

It was awful. I remember for some reason I got stuck and couldn't find the last one despite having a guide. Eventually I just resorted to grid-searching the map point by point until I got it. *shivers*

Anoxida

I'm looking forward to OP's bump when he plays FFX. I consider completing the balloon mini game on vita (much harder than ps2/4) to be my greatest accomplishment in gaming.

kromeo

It's fun at first but it gets so tedious by the time you get lagoon..

I actually find Rikku's weapon the most boring to get in X

So OP, lemme tell you about the FFXI original relic weapons...

Well unless you owned a large linkshell those were pretty much an irrelevance

Top Bottom