• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

R0ckman

I'm not good with the Yoshi bike due to the inside drifting being so damn tight. Is this due to the kart itself? Can I customize this? If not, I'll stick to the wild wiggler I guess.

Davey Cakes

"You don't know how bad you are at Mario Kart until you play online."

This is so true.

Either that or everyone else is already amazing two days into the game's launch.

My brother and I played last night and wow. I think I got 1st once and 2nd once. Every other time it was a battle for...5th or 6th and even those places felt like a miracle. Any time I got knocked back I struggled to get even to the middle of the pack never mind the front.

Admittedly I haven't mastered any of the tracks yet and I don't study the best Kart customization options.

I also basically refuse to use bikes. :mad:

I will get better!

Haven't played with GAF yet but I did plug in the code just to see how it works and the Mirror Tourney came up. I couldn't imagine trying to compete on mirror tracks just yet.

octopiggy

So you don't even get a message for getting 3 stars in all cups?! Oh well, glad I've done it:
zlCfzSAW20sXo9QFkD

zlCfzSAW5bMDNSc8Y_

Done all the time trial ghosts too. So all that's left is to enjoy online on my way to 10,000 coins! GAF, I'll be joining you for the next race.

The gitGUD MLG guide

***DO NOT READ THE SPOILERS IF YOU LIKE TO HAVE FUN***

Pick a top tier-
+Bowser
+Mii *if they're set to tallest and roundest
+Morton
+Wario

Pick a strong setup-
+Circuit Special for kart / Yoshi for bike
+Button wheels
+Cloud glider

Note; There are various pieces of equipment that look different and have the same stats and should corner the same, so use whatever you prefer.

Tips-
- Racing lines
Consider the majority of the track to be lava and corner as tightly as possible while acquiring at least a blue boost if you can. Try to gather 10 coins when the coins are in the racing line. Additional coins provide tiny extra boosts I think.

- Item efficiency
There's no reason to use them at anytime before the next item boxes unless you're in a tight spot and absolutely need to or think it's a good risk to take. Try to defend yourself as often as possible with items from people behind or save it.

Possible questions-
Q: I'm not doing any better?
A: Go into time trial and practice beating the ghosts. You should be able to beat them all by several seconds comfortably as you get better.

Q: Why is this good?
A: It's a good balance between speed and acceleration and so is reliable to produce a good place finish quite often. Acceleration with these 2 builds hit the sweet spot of 3 and 4 respectively ensuring you get full benefits.

Q: But my slicks are faster!?
A: Slicks are so fast to the point where you can widen the gap too easily and trigger the blue shell easier to the point where you might eat 2 in one race. Get hit at a bad spot and the acceleration will cost you the race. This might not be a problem if the entire room is very good though.

Q: I played as good as I could and didn't win once in 10 races while some bad setup won!
A: Mario Kart™

Q: But I've found a setup that works better than yours?
A: These are just my personal findings. Have fun!

I hope this is helpful.

I know this is late, but thats exactly what im been doing since some days ago and its working wonders. Better at neogaf tourneys online (still its normal to finish 7-8, but thats mario kart against good racers), master at time trials, and beating the cpu without much effort in 150CC (when I had lots of problems before).
The only problem I usually have are the turns (the last turn being the worst offender) in the new Rainbow Road.

I use Comet and Rosalina, that is similar to the examples above.

So yeah, people having any problems hear this advice and tips.

Albo

Sorry zing, that was a pretty good green shell by me though :p I'd never been violated by so many red/green shells in my life

devonodev

The gitGUD MLG guide

***DO NOT READ THE SPOILERS IF YOU LIKE TO HAVE FUN***

Pick a top tier-
+Bowser
+Mii *if they're set to tallest and roundest
+Morton
+Wario

Pick a strong setup-
+Circuit Special for kart / Yoshi for bike
+Button wheels
+Cloud glider

Note; There are various pieces of equipment that look different and have the same stats and should corner the same, so use whatever you prefer.

Tips-
- Racing lines
Consider the majority of the track to be lava and corner as tightly as possible while acquiring at least a blue boost if you can. Try to gather 10 coins when the coins are in the racing line. Additional coins provide tiny extra boosts I think.

- Item efficiency
There's no reason to use them at anytime before the next item boxes unless you're in a tight spot and absolutely need to or think it's a good risk to take. Try to defend yourself as often as possible with items from people behind or save it.

Possible questions-
Q: I'm not doing any better?
A: Go into time trial and practice beating the ghosts. You should be able to beat them all by several seconds comfortably as you get better.

Q: Why is this good?
A: It's a good balance between speed and acceleration and so is reliable to produce a good place finish quite often. Acceleration with these 2 builds hit the sweet spot of 3 and 4 respectively ensuring you get full benefits.

Q: But my slicks are faster!?
A: Slicks are so fast to the point where you can widen the gap too easily and trigger the blue shell easier to the point where you might eat 2 in one race. Get hit at a bad spot and the acceleration will cost you the race. This might not be a problem if the entire room is very good though.

Q: I played as good as I could and didn't win once in 10 races while some bad setup won!
A: Mario Kart™

Q: But I've found a setup that works better than yours?
A: These are just my personal findings. Have fun!

I hope this is helpful.
Just by coincidence I've been using nearly that same build, thought it was good haha.
Morton with Comet, button wheels, and cloud wings.
Also wooo a win

akaoni

Banned
So that's why you left the tournament? Haha! God, that crash was so embarrassing...

Reluctantly, all because I didn't press start to keep the replay. I'm spectating now.

As a note you can follow people even if their game is full and it will place you as a spectator until a free spot comes up, quite a helpful feature.

Mik2121

Reluctantly, all because I didn't press start to keep the replay. I'm spectating now.

As a note you can follow people even if their game is full and it will place you as a spectator until a free spot comes up, quite a helpful feature.

Ooohh, didn't know that! Probably someone will leave soon, so you should be able to join in a bit.

daveo42

Banned
I know this is late, but thats exactly what im been doing since some days ago and its working wonders. Better at neogaf tourneys online (still its normal to finish 7-8, but thats mario kart against good racers), master at time trials, and beating the cpu without much effort in 150CC (when I had lots of problems before).
The only problem I usually have are the turns (the last turn being the worst offender) in the new Rainbow Road.

I use Comet and Rosalina, that is similar to the examples above.

So yeah, people having any problems hear this advice and tips.

This is the similar setup I started using last night after getting a feel for Peach on a bike. You can feel that weight difference between Rosalina and Peach, even if it's only a small difference. Not sure I'd ever get a good feel for someone much heavier like Bowser on bike.

I do love those corners on that bike tho...

Jucksalbe

Banned
I uploaded it to the Nintendo network at least, I assume you can watch stuff other people post that way by going to the tournament folder in MKTV.

Thanks. It doesn't work, though, sadly. There's an empty space in the folder, maybe it comes from that. I can see your Miiverse post for it, but it just has a picture.

Sickbean

"You don't know how bad you are at Mario Kart until you play online."

This is so true.

Either that or everyone else is already amazing two days into the game's launch.

My brother and I played last night and wow. I think I got 1st once and 2nd once. Every other time it was a battle for...5th or 6th and even those places felt like a miracle. Any time I got knocked back I struggled to get even to the middle of the pack never mind the front.

Admittedly I haven't mastered any of the tracks yet and I don't study the best Kart customization options.

I also basically refuse to use bikes. :mad:

I will get better!

Haven't played with GAF yet but I did plug in the code just to see how it works and the Mirror Tourney came up. I couldn't imagine trying to compete on mirror tracks just yet.

LOL, just wait till you join the GAF lobbies - I regularly get 1st-3rd in the normal ones, but struggle to get above 6-7 in GAF

Top Bottom