• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does buying condoms have to be such an embarrassing process?

bman94

Last night I needed condoms. Couldn't go to walmart because it was past 10, so the pharmacy section was closed, meaning nobody would open up the glass in the pharmacy section where the condoms are.

So I went to Walgreens. Again late at night so there's not a lot of staff in the store. Can't find any staff to open it up behind the security panel. So I have to tell the check out guy:
"I need product locked behind the security panel"
"What is is?"
"Condoms"
Then loudly into his walkie talkie
"Code 7 on Aisle 10"

So I leave the check out area and wait for 2 minutes. I'm literally just standing in front of all the condoms. Multiple people come down the same isle looking for other products, and I'm just there standing in front of the condoms. I look over to the check out and I see the check out guy literally pointing at me to show the other Walgreen employee where I'm at. Like was this really necessary? You already said what isle it was, you don't have to point me out specifically.

So the Walgreen employee comes and just loudly says while other customers are in the same isle for other stuff "WHAT TYPE OF CONDOMS DO YOU WANT?". At this point I'm sick of this shit and just point to the box. "OH YOU WANT THE DOUBLE PLEASURE, ALRIGHT I'LL BRING UP FRONT TO YOU'.

Like really, did we have to go through all that shit? If you're going to lock it behind something why not behind the check out like cigarettes? It's not like you have a mountain of condoms to begin. Just let me get my shit without making a big scene about it.

Ubername

Banned
When asked what type you want you should very loudly reply that you need the smallest condom that they have, and if he suggests a brand you shout back that no, that brand is too big for you

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Because you're immature.

llien

I see the issue when one is after, say, a sex doll, but shouldn't you feel... more of a proud, than embarrassed, when buying condoms?

t-storm

"OH YOU WANT THE DOUBLE PLEASURE, ALRIGHT I'LL BRING UP FRONT TO YOU'.
Lol nice OP.

But I agree, it’s 2018. Thankfully most of the Walmarts/grocery stores in the city I live in are open later, have self checkouts and things not locked up so buying sexual health products is a relatively painless process.

Vitten

I couldn't give a flying fuck what other people think when I buy them. And if I notice a cashier starts to get all weird when she/he notices my rubbers I'll give a quick wink to make them feel even more uncomfortable. One of life's little pleasures.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
If you are embarrassed about buying condoms, you probably shouldn’t be having sex because you aren’t mature enough mentally to have it.

Atrus

Gold Member
Examine the comments others make for reason and facts and make an action in accordance to your reasoning. When they've done nothing of the sort, determine if your actions has a negative impact on others and take actions in accordance with your reasoning.

If your actions don't impact anyone else and are to your benefit, it doesn't matter what they think and you shouldn't care. This is true whether its buying condoms, lingerie for your girlfriend, etc. If you wanted their perspective, you'd ask. If not, they are completely irrelevent.

xStoyax

Banned
Walmart here is still 24/7 & they are out where you can pick them up anytime without needing anyone to assist. Must have a lot of thieves where you live

Last night I needed condoms. Couldn't go to walmart because it was past 10, so the pharmacy section was closed, meaning nobody would open up the glass in the pharmacy section where the condoms are.

So I went to Walgreens. Again late at night so there's not a lot of staff in the store. Can't find any staff to open it up behind the security panel. So I have to tell the check out guy:
"I need product locked behind the security panel"
"What is is?"
"Condoms"
Then loudly into his walkie talkie
"Code 7 on Aisle 10"

So I leave the check out area and wait for 2 minutes. I'm literally just standing in front of all the condoms. Multiple people come down the same isle looking for other products, and I'm just there standing in front of the condoms. I look over to the check out and I see the check out guy literally pointing at me to show the other Walgreen employee where I'm at. Like was this really necessary? You already said what isle it was, you don't have to point me out specifically.

So the Walgreen employee comes and just loudly says while other customers are in the same isle for other stuff "WHAT TYPE OF CONDOMS DO YOU WANT?". At this point I'm sick of this shit and just point to the box. "OH YOU WANT THE DOUBLE PLEASURE, ALRIGHT I'LL BRING UP FRONT TO YOU'.

Like really, did we have to go through all that shit? If you're going to lock it behind something why not behind the check out like cigarettes? It's not like you have a mountain of condoms to begin. Just let me get my shit without making a big scene about it.

The fact you couldn't name them at first suggests you were probably projecting some insecurity from the get go. Lighten up, you have sex in the foreseeable future!

LordRaptor

its just pre-emptive
eoTk4am.gif

Drain You

It's really not.

Also the only thing I'm really taking away from this thread is that wherever you live condoms are kept behind glass, weird. Baby formula is really the only thing kept behind glass at places like that. Condoms are lame just pull out. I seriously can't use them.

Also if its really that much of an issue for you find somewhere that has self checkout.

Heath V

Wal-Mart locks up the condoms? That's strange. My Walmart is 24 7 and the only thing that is locked up besides the video games and things like that is the expensive liquor.

Drain You

Wal-Mart locks up the condoms? That's strange. My Walmart is 24 7 and the only thing that is locked up besides the video games and things like that is the expensive liquor.

Man I wish I lived near a Walmart that was open 24/7 and sold booze.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
That shit is a badge of honor.

Ive drunk stumbled into many a store then to many a motel room counter proud as fuck.

Save the embarassment for the post cum regret.

"Code 7 on Aisle 10"
That is probably a secret code between employees to let each know there's an insecure/scared/embarrassed buyer of condoms to fuck with. They really got you! This a great story, thank you for the laugh, OP. Buying condoms is nothing out of the ordinary to be embarrassed about.

njean777

They are always out where I live, have never had to ask for them or anything. Idk why they would put them behind glass at all.

Ichabod

Banned
When asked what type you want you should very loudly reply that you need the smallest condom that they have, and if he suggests a brand you shout back that no, that brand is too big for you

Thanks, I just spit soda on my cellphone.

MC Safety

It doesn't have to be embarrassing. Wear a false mustache, eyepatch, trenchcoat, and slouch hat when you go to the store. Affect a limp so no one can recognize your gait. Also, speak in an accent and wear gloves to prevent fingerprints.

Drain You

The only time I ever felt weird buying condoms was when I was 16 buying condoms, Redbull, and Caffeine pills. I got weird looks.

Drain You

What were you doing with all that?

Condoms for sex.

Redbull cause I was tired.

Caffeine pills for work.

All unrelated, I just happened to buying them all at once. I realize it looked weird, but it was completely innocent and I didn't give a what anyways.

opoth

Banned
Does it? Being married, I haven't worried about it in years - but there are so many supermarkets that have sprung up with self checkouts in the past 3-4 years - I could probably go to 10 different places in town and buy birth control without human interaction.

Even if that wasn't an option, I can't remember it giving me much anxiety in my younger years - throw them in with your other groceries and that's it.

Drain You

24/7 Wal-Mart's are the absolute best, I love that I can go there anytime and get whatever I need.

The only 24/7 stores in my area are Cumberland Farms, 7/11, and CVS, and unfortunately in my state booze cant be sold after 10pm. Although most places stop at 9pm. It was only in the past year or so that they made it legal to sell booze on Sundays. Most places on Sunday sell from 10 or 11am till 4pm.

Heath V

The only 24/7 stores in my area are Cumberland Farms, 7/11, and CVS, and unfortunately in my state booze cant be sold after 10pm. Although most places stop at 9pm. It was only in the past year or so that they made it legal to sell booze on Sundays. Most places on Sunday sell from 10 or 11am till 4pm.

Where I live it can be purchased until 2 am despite the store being open 24/7. However I heard there are laws out there that says if the store is open 24/7 then liquor can be purchased Around the Clock as well.

Top Bottom