• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia upgrades 1060 and 1080 cards with faster memory

MrBenchmark

I hope AMD really gets their power usage down. I upgraded my sons PC recently from 2 crossfired R9 270X cards to a RX480 i went thru several of them and none of them were stable! I've used AMD cards many years and never seen such instability like i came across with the 480's. I ended up getting a EVGA 1060 6GB superclock for him and what a stable and reliable card. smaller quieter and it doesn't crash constantly.

I hope AMD really gets their power usage down. I upgraded my sons PC recently from 2 crossfired R9 270X cards to a RX480 i went thru several of them and none of them were stable! I've used AMD cards many years and never seen such instability like i came across with the 480's. I ended up getting a EVGA 1060 6GB superclock for him and what a stable and reliable card. smaller quieter and it doesn't crash constantly.

What do you mean by instability? Were games crashing or the whole system?

A single RX480 uses about 200W less power than 2x 270X, so it couldn't be the power usage.

ty_hot

it feels like every week nvidia is releasing/updating something so it doesnt matter when you buy their products, they will be outdated/overpriced a week later.

MrBenchmark

What do you mean by instability? Were games crashing or the whole system?

A single RX480 uses about 200W less power than 2x 270X, so it couldn't be the power usage.

right i know. i build PC's for a living 20 years now and I haven't encountered trouble like that in years. they were crashing randomly in games freezing or just flat out rebooting the machine. And the crossfired cards never did that. went thru 3 cards different brand of RX 480's finally just tried the 1060 and the system is rock solid now. Nothing overclocked as i'm past all that nonsense.

the 1060 6GB superclock was cheaper too got $20 back plus a $20 rebate and a free game.

None of these are for 1060 9Gbps. Not sure what's this have to do with this thread.

One of them is specifically oced and even his non oc tests already have the 1060 at just under 1900 mhz. Not hard to add a few % for the memory boost. Pascal doesnt scale that well with memory ocs in most games

Let me stop you right there.

I did not "produce" anything, I replied to a Coulomb_Barrier's graph which is clearly cherry picked (as I've said, this is pretty much the only MEA benchmark I've seen where 480 is faster than 1060, and I've seen at least a dozen of them). The graph I posted is more in line with what you would be able to see in any other MEA benchmark of your choice. What I said about the original graph using medium settings is a theory which could explain this difference, nothing more.

So you should really think on what you want to say next because right now you are barking at a wrong tree. And this is precisely why I ignored the rest of your previous post and will ignore the rest of this one.

So your thinking was that the medium settings chart showed the 480 winning, because it was at medium settings. If this is true then why not just say that. If you truly did ignore the rest of my posts, to which I say bad form. You would have saw that I went to the PC gamer site and saw that they had the 480 winning in every Mass Effect benchmark and that I thought this could be because a few different reasons. I saw discrepancies like this between other sites as well. So maybe they are benchmarking in different areas or it's a difference in card models. I really don't know.

You know if you would follow your own advice of "really thinking about you want to say" this could be a more productive conversation.

None of these are for 1060 9Gbps. Not sure what's this have to do with this thread.

Witcher 3 1060 is running overclocked memory. It should come close to the 1060 9GBs.

dr_rus

One of them is specifically oced and even his non oc tests already have the 1060 at just under 1900 mhz. Not hard to add a few % for the memory boost. Pascal doesnt scale that well with memory ocs in most games

He doesn't say how it was OCed. 1080 scales perfectly fine with 11Gbps memory.

You know if you would follow your own advice of "really thinking about you want to say" this could be a more productive conversation.

This would be a more productive conversation if you'd discussed the topic at hand instead of twisting my words to prove something about my humble person again.

He doesn't say how it was OCed. 1080 scales perfectly fine with 11Gbps memory.

This would be a more productive conversation if you'd discussed the topic at hand instead of twisting my words to prove something about my humble person again.

In the witcher 3 video the 1060 is running at 2.1 ghz with +700 on the memory. Thats even more than the 9gbps official update. His videos always show msi afterburner stats for all gpus

llien

Way better than the tepid Radeon RX 500 refreshes.

But why do you think so? With 480 even 1400 was not guaranteed, 580 seems to go to to 1500Mhz quite easily. Perf bump is bigger than 4% (although power consumption is higher indeed)

560 has more beef than 460.
550 has no 4xx sibling.

ethomaz

Banned
But why do you think so? With 480 even 1400 was not guaranteed, 580 seems to go to to 1500Mhz quite easily. Perf bump is bigger than 4% (although power consumption is higher indeed)

560 has more beef than 460.
550 has no 4xx sibling.
Are you sure RX 480 is not going over 1400Mhz due the single 6-pin PCI-E connector?

Because all RX 480 6+8-pin reaches 1500Mhz via software.

ZOONAMI

Here's a bunch of 1060 overclocks: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1060_STRIX_OC/29.html

I think these numbers are initial boost clocks though which means they'll probably drop a bit when stress testing and actual prolonged gaming.

Yeah pascal does not hold at 2100 at all unless you won the lottery. Your lucky if you get a sustained boost even over 2000 that holds for very long at load. 1900-2050 is what you'll typically be boosting too, and that's with a fairly significant core clock oc. I'm more familiar with a 1070 but maybe a 1060 clocks a bit higher. My laptop has a 1060 but I'm not going to oc it that much in the laptop.

I still have a radeon 6950. How much more powerful are these cards? And would my 2600k be a bottleneck to these?

Which cards? The GTX 1060, RX 570 and 580 are well over 2.5x more powerful than your Radeon HD 6950.

About your i7 2600K, it depends on the games you're playing and the frame-rates your targeting. Depending on the scenarios the CPU may or may not be limiting your performance.

Top Bottom