• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

RDreamer

It's been a slow year so far, nothing is really catching my attention. No new atmospheric BM, or Folk/Pagan, or even in the genres I'm just kind of into like prog or DM. Not that I've found anyway.

Listened to any of these?
Pain of Salvation - In the Passing Light of Day
The Flight of Sleipnir - Skadi
Persefone - Aathma

Pain of Salvation - In the Passing Light of Day
The Flight of Sleipnir - Skadi
Persefone - Aathma

I've heard the Pain of Salvation and Persefone albums, there are moments there that I like, but nothing that really draws me in. Flight of Sleipnir ventures a bit too far into post rock/metal territory for me.

The closest I've gotten to something that I thought was really great was Gorthaur - Om Cmapцeв. The first track is so killer, it maybe set my expectations too high for the rest of the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYKEW3H1574

e_i

Listening to the new Pillorian. It sounds like Agalloch 2.0. If you like Agalloch, you should definitely give this a listen.

Ixion

I don't think anyone has mentioned this debut album from last year:

612546.jpg

It's Sludge Metal / Noise Rock. It's got some great energy and good riffs for the most part:

The first song "Playing Poor"

Southern Lord has released a sampler of their 2017 releases. All proceeds go the ACLU. It's got Holy Mountain live in it.

Here

Holy Mountain <3

I like that Pallbearer song, man!

My song of the day comes from my band of the day. Mutoid Man. They are soooo go(o)d! I want to see them live so bad! That little solo. :O Music for guitar nerds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKh-Nf2NeEY

Their song "Bleeder" on the album of the same title is awesome and pretty doom-y but I can't find it on youtube.

RDreamer

Listening to the new Pillorian. It sounds like Agalloch 2.0. If you like Agalloch, you should definitely give this a listen.

Yeah it's definitely basically Agalloch. I dunno if I'm going to like it as much as other Agalloch releases, but I guess time will tell. Some of those took a bit to really grow on me.

e_i

Yeah it's definitely basically Agalloch. I dunno if I'm going to like it as much as other Agalloch releases, but I guess time will tell. Some of those took a bit to really grow on me.

The Vestige of Thorns is my favorite track. Dark is the River of Man sounds right out of one of Agalloch's earlier releases.

Bitanator

I've shit on Havok for years for not being the band I'd like them to be and know they can be, but their new release is slamming. Solid release

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Counting down the days to the new Pallbearer. Come oooon NB, where's the press release?

Meanwhile, the new Iron Reagan is pretty fun.

I'm not feeling the new Havok either, unfortunately.

Gorguts/Mgla/Marduk is next weekend. I really dont know if I have the energy to go.
Is Gorguts headlining? You can leave early!

(I love Gorguts but their 30 minute snore of an EP does nothing for me)

Mgla would be worth it, don't know how often they're out by you though (wherever you are)

Saw Marduk on their tour earlier this year and was not a fan of the setlist. Very few ultra blast songs

Is Gorguts headlining? You can leave early!

(I love Gorguts but their 30 minute snore of an EP does nothing for me)

Mgla would be worth it, don't know how often they're out by you though (wherever you are)

Saw Marduk on their tour earlier this year and was not a fan of the setlist. Very few ultra blast songs

Gorguts are opening, then Mgla. I have always wanted to see Gorguts so I probably will go. Im not the biggest fan of Marduk but yeah.

I'm in Australia so tours like this are somewhat few and far between. Better make the most of it!

Bitanator

Havok isn't the best at anything

EDIT: Ok I clicked and what the fuck is this first song. Like Dave Mustaine got way into late 90s nu metal. "political correctness breaking through" yeah ok

David Sanchez and his terrible lyrics, been sinking them to shit tier band for years. I'm more excited about the more prevalent bass in the mix, they are great musicians, and bass guitar is unfortunately an underutilized instrument in thrash. Music wise it is pretty fun to thrash with

Regiruler

On the new alestorm album:
Speaking of bonus material...if you get the special Mediabook edition of the album, it comes with a 2nd CD entitled "No Grave But The Sea for Dogs", which contains the entire album except all the vocals have been replaced by a dog barking. We can guarantee you won't listen to the whole thing, it's spectacularly bad.

I hope they sell it separately to be used as a gag gift.

So I was listening to Neomorph Mankind by Wormed at work last night and one of the new employees heard it while walking through my area and asked me "So, is this screamo?"

I wish I could have seen the look on my own face because I was totally bewildered while also trying to suppress a big laugh. I told her it was actually technical death metal to which she simply responded "Oh" and walked away. I'm still laughing about this 24 hours later.

Also if you want some total Disgorge (US) worship than you gotta check out Devangelic from Italy. I'd say more but it really is just spot on Disgorge style brutal death metal, with extremely blasphemous lyrics to boot. They got a new album coming out later this year and I've been blasting them all day. Featuring the guitarist from Vulvectomy (although this isn't slam at all) and the former vocalist from Putridity. Here's a totally sick drum play-through of their latest song. Videos like that make me wish I played drums instead of bass.

EDIT: Also in the last few days I've listened to Edguy's Mandrake like 10 times, it's just so damn good.

Leatherface

Hey all. My band released an album and also just played with NILE and Overkill Friday in front of like 2000 people! It was the largest crowd I have ever played in front of in my life. It was AWESOME!
So yeah, needless to say I'm pretty excited and wanted to share my music with some fellow metalheads. Please feel free to stream some songs and check it out. If you have any questions shoot me a PM or reply in this thread. We did a pretty sweet Sabbath cover if you're curious. Cheers!

\m/

https://disguisethecurse.bandcamp.com/

<---vocals

recommendations
-----------------------
The Devil's Hand
Inhuman
Into the Void

Bitanator

Wow, must have been a beyond amazing experience. Checked a bit of your material, I will come back later on and hear the rest. sounds pretty good

Palmer27

Persefone - Aathma

Enjoyed Aathma - instrumentals were possibly some of my favourites of all time. Couldn't help but be a bit bored by the vocals though, harsh or clean I never found them particularly expressive or engaging.

The album's not bad for what it is. It's kinda hard for me to get into those pure noodley sort of albums/bands like this. They need more memorable riffs and songwriting to keep things in check and keep my attention.

Well articulated - wish I could love this more but not my thing for the same reason :(

So after streaming the Zeal and Ardor "official" release a couple times I am pretty sure only
"Sacrileguim I" differs from the original bandcamp release. I guess I'll just buy that one track.

Pro

From Alestorm's FB page. Always a good time.

Oh wow! It's our immense pleasure to announce that the new Alestorm album "No Grave But The Sea" will be released worldwide by Napalm Records on May 26th 2017! Also for the first time, we can reveal the artwork and the entire tracklist for the album:

1. No Grave But The Sea
2. Mexico
3. To the End of the World
4. Alestorm
5. Bar ünd Imbiss
6. Fucked with an Anchor
7. Pegleg Potion
8. Man the Pumps
9. Rage of the Pentahook
10. Treasure Island

"No Grave But The Sea" will be available in approximately three million different formats, so you can get whatever one satisfies your particular desires for silly auxiliary trinkets and bonus material. Speaking of bonus material...if you get the special Mediabook edition of the album, it comes with a 2nd CD entitled "No Grave But The Sea for Dogs", which contains the entire album except all the vocals have been replaced by a dog barking. We can guarantee you won't listen to the whole thing, it's spectacularly bad.
There's also an ultra-deluxe WOODEN BOX WOODEN BOX WOODEN BOX edition of the album which contains the Mediabook, a compass, a deck of custom Alestorm playing cards, a poster flag, some postcards, and a bonus 7 Inch Vinyl Single featuring the censored version of Fucked with an Anchor (so you can play it to your kids!) and a song about pizza which we wrote in 5 minutes to fill up space. This version costs approximately the GDP of a small country, so I wouldn't buy it unless you're the world's biggest Alestorm fan. The wooden box also doubles as emergency kindling if you find yourself lost in the wilderness.

Oh yeah and there's a bunch of versions on 12" Vinyl too. Apparently you crazy kids think vinyl sounds better? Personally I like MP3's more. Whatever, just buy the damn record in whatever format you like.

Remember, 100% of the profits from this album are going towards building a new sauna for Alestorm's pirate ship!

PREORDER NOW from http://alestorm.napalmrecords.com !!!

I'm not a fan of Alestorm but the sooner their new album comes out the sooner we get new Gloryhammer!

Also Death or Glory will always be the ultimate pirate metal album.
"Face in the wind, we're riding the storm
We'll stay our course whatever will come
Wandering souls in the sea of the damned
Death or glory, oh, oh we're riding the storm"

I'm not a fan of Alestorm but the sooner their new album comes out the sooner we get new Gloryhammer!

Also Death or Glory will always be the ultimate pirate metal album.
"Face in the wind, we're riding the storm
We'll stay our course whatever will come
Wandering souls in the sea of the damned
Death or glory, oh, oh we're riding the storm"

Marooned is one of the best Metal songs IMO.

Leatherface

Wow, must have been a beyond amazing experience. Checked a bit of your material, I will come back later on and hear the rest. sounds pretty good

It was a moment I've worked very hard for a long time to have. Felt pretty accomplished for sure. Thanks for checking out my music. Glad you liked. &#129304;

Pro

I started hating the band when they called Running Wild shitty in an interview. What a complete lack of respect, fuck those ass holes.

I think they just likened Running Wild to more of a Thrash Metal band with Pirate Lyrics to try and not garner the comparison, whereas Alestorm has more of a folksy, accordion, "piratey" type sound mixed in with most songs. I'm wondering if Treasure Island on this album is a cover of Running Wild Treasure Island though.

Sanctuary

I am super particular when it comes to black metal (and I suppose to a similar, but lesser extent death or any form of "extreme" in general), but it mostly has to do with the "four track in a garage production" that doesn't add atmosphere to me. It simply sounds bad to my ears.

Anyway, just found out about:

Godless Serenade

Hey all. My band released an album and also just played with NILE and Overkill Friday in front of like 2000 people! It was the largest crowd I have ever played in front of in my life. It was AWESOME!
So yeah, needless to say I'm pretty excited and wanted to share my music with some fellow metalheads. Please feel free to stream some songs and check it out. If you have any questions shoot me a PM or reply in this thread. We did a pretty sweet Sabbath cover if you're curious. Cheers!

\m/

https://disguisethecurse.bandcamp.com/

<---vocals

recommendations
-----------------------
The Devil's Hand
Inhuman
Into the Void
This isn't the typical metal that I listen to but I really enjoyed it. I checked out some of your videos too and you guys put on a good show. Supported.

Top Bottom