• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

Well 3DS Roms are already on the internet aren't they?

Unfortunately this would let them be played, but frankly I care more about my ability to load all my games conveniently than I do a bunch of pirates getting to play for free. They aren't going to buy the games anyways, so don't neuter the convenience of my stuff on account of them.

Unfortunately, 3DS has had a piracy scene building for quite a while now.

There's about... 226 games so far that have been dumped and released through illegal channels (AKA the piracy scene).

It's all done in preparation...the moment some kind of exploit gets leaked to the public, expect piracy on the system to run rampant.

I just hope the 3DS doesn't end up as another PSP. That system was plagued by vast amounts of piracy that hurt software sales.

-MB-

There's about... 226 games so far that have been hacked / decrypted and released through illegal channels (AKA the piracy scene).

It's all done in preparation...the moment some kind of exploit gets leaked to the public, expect piracy on the system to run rampant.

I just hope the 3DS doesn't end up as another PSP. That system was plagued by vast amounts of piracy that hurt software sales.

The games aren't hacked and decrypted at all, theyre merely raw dumps from cards, nothing else.

Instro

There's about... 226 games so far that have been hacked / decrypted and released through illegal channels (AKA the piracy scene).

I imagine the piracy problem on the DS was more rampant, which is probably why the 3DS remains unhacked.

The games aren't hacked and decrypted at all, theyre merely raw dumps from cards, nothing else.

Right. I used the wrong terminology. I meant "hacked / decrypted" in the sense that hackers found a way to dump the ROM (unlocked the cart), but they're still unusable because hackers haven't found the encryption keys / the 3DS has a good amount of anti-piracy measures.

I imagine the piracy problem on the DS was more rampant, which is probably why the 3DS remains unhacked.

It certainly had a big impact, especially in Europe. But I'm not sure if DS piracy had the same kind of impact on software sales... as PSP piracy.

YjX9M.jpg

Pikma

Banned
I can't believe I'm excited for this to be true, but there's so many JP games I waaaaant!

Too bad this would bring piracy as well...

supahkiwi

Banned
Right. I used the wrong terminology. I meant "hacked / decrypted" in the sense that hackers found a way to dump the ROM (unlocked the cart), but they're still unusable because hackers haven't found the encryption keys / the 3DS has a good amount of anti-piracy measures.

It certainly had a big impact, especially in Europe. But I'm not sure if DS piracy had the same kind of impact on software sales... as PSP piracy.

YjX9M.jpg

I could be wrong, but weren't the R4's released after the release of New Super Mario Bros DS?

This is really interesting, what are the piracy numbers derived from?

They're from a CESA (Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association in Japan) piracy report for certain DS and PSP games.

Not sure what their methodology was for determining this kind of thing.

I could be wrong, but weren't the R4's released after the release of New Super Mario Bros DS?

Early 2007 when it came out. NSMB: DS came out Mid 2006. However, NSMB: DS sold the vast majority of its copies since 2007.

Ronok

It certainly had a big impact, especially in Europe. But I'm not sure if DS piracy had the same kind of impact as PSP piracy on software sales...

YjX9M.jpg

I assume this is taken from bittorrent trackers? Because I'd assume that PSP would show higher numbers there due to larger file size....

Jockel

Technically, you aren't, but R4s weren't the first devices that enabled homebrew and ROM playback on the DS. If I remember correctly, there was quite a bit of drama because of that particular game making it's way onto the internet like 3 weeks earlier, even before that years e3.

nmanma

I always found it weird how the Vita was the first one to be hacked, since the 3DS seems more open (SD cards, no content manager)

On the other hand I have no idea how hacking actually works, but it seems counterintuitive nonetheless

Technically, you aren't, but R4s weren't the first devices that enabled homebrew and ROM playback on the DS. If I remember correctly, there was quite a bit of drama because of that particular game making it's way onto the internet like 3 weeks earlier, even before that years e3.

There's definitely been homebrew since Mid 2006, around the time that NSMB came out.

"Axis Title"

Makes me think it's not too reputable.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/09/pokemon-platinum-tops-nintendo-ds-piracy-list/

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/13/psp-and-ds-piracy-explained-in-pictures/

NewFresh

From GBATemp

<yellows8>the code which patched errdisp was loaded from SD card btw.
<shlee>Save game? random binary? FS glitch?
<yellows8>savegame for the arm11 userland ROP.
<yellows8>it's a gamecard savegame yes.

That just makes me disspointed in the chart making skills of Siloconera.

B.K.

I always found it weird how the Vita was the first one to be hacked, since the 3DS seems more open (SD cards, no content manager)

Vita hasn't been hacked. The PSP emulator has been hacked. It's no different than being able to run DS homebrew out of the box on a 3DS.

Raelson

I assume this is taken from bittorrent trackers? Because I'd assume that PSP would show higher numbers there due to larger file size....

Probably. I don't think a lot of people used torrents for DS games. Those numbers mean absolutely nothing.

Vita hasn't been hacked. The PSP emulator has been hacked. It's no different than being able to run DS homebrew out of the box on a 3DS.

I don't think hackers have figured out how to properly dump Vita cartridges yet. So even if some hacker manages to get some kind of CFW on Vita, there's still no Vita games for him to play.

moozoom

If by more rampant you mean : "everybody I know has a flashcart, buy one for each of their kids and nephews for christmas and none of them ever buys another game again" ... Yes it was (and still is) a big problem in France. I saw people buy R4 carts in a videogame store and the clerk offered to peruse his laptop to make a selection of roms to fill the micro SD.

Also I heard many people complaining that Nintendo copy-protected the latest pokémon games, how dare they.

Foffy

Banned

YjX9M.jpg

This is a little surprising to me, considering if you take into account flashcards and emulators, it's much more easier to get DS games pirated. You don't even need to own a fucking DS.

Petrie

Banned
This is a little surprising to me, considering if you take into account flashcards and emulators, it's much more easier to get DS games pirated. You don't even need to own a fucking DS.

Problem with these stats is its only downloads, and frankly lots of people just buy pre loaded flash carts and such, plus if they're only counting torrents they are missing a lot of the DS downloads.

wsippel

Banned
so the only proof we have is this picture?
Yellows8 was apparently involved, and he's a known quantity. If he says it's real, it's real. But it's also pretty much useless as it is. It's an interesting achievement, but very early, basically useless to endusers, and it's impossible to tell if this hack will actually lead somewhere. Sudokuhax on DSi, which used a similar approach and was much easier to use, didn't.

What's the source for this? I'm sure there were way more downloads for NSMB.

It was some supplier association firm in Japan. The criticism of the data is that they were very lazy in compiling their "worldwide" piracy data; all they did was assume that Japan made up 25% of the global market, and thus, they multiplied their Japanese piracy data by 4. Naturally, this led to results that were downright odd when placed in a global context, like Phantasy Star Portable 2 being in second place.

Fusebox

Banned

My guess is that the younger DS demographic don't care/know as much about piracy as the older PSP demographic.

Foffy

Banned
Problem with these stats is its only downloads, and frankly lots of people just buy pre loaded flash carts and such, plus if they're only counting torrents they are missing a lot of the DS downloads.

True. Many DS games are in small sizes so locker sites seemed more applicable for those games. Wasn't every PSP game designed to leave chunk data so their filesize always took up the full capacity of the UMD? Wii games did that, too, so 1 GB+ files seem more spread on torrents than 100 MB files.

iceatcs

The problem is lot of DS pirate missing in count because rom are so easy to get from any "rapidshare" sites rather than torrent.

Phazon

A lot of people (casual) don't have a lot of knowledge and experience. One anti piracy measure like we saw with the Pokémon games and most of them won't succeed in getting it to work. The people who have managed to hack their PSP are people who know how to do all that stuff. So in a certain way, these numbers make sense for me :)

wsippel

Banned
The problem is lot of DS pirate missing in count because rom are so easy to get from any "rapidshare" sites rather than torrent.
Exactly. DS ROMs were small enough to use more convenient distribution channels like Rapidshare or Megaupload.

Exactly. DS ROMs were small enough to use more convenient distribution channels like Rapidshare or Megaupload.

Also, piracy DS games were bundled in packages of 50 or 100 games, because the low size.

I'm sure that piracy on DS was higher than those numbers, but certainly much more people played illegally some PSP games than legally, and I'm not sure that this was the DS situation.

First year the DS was released they had passthrough devices... meaning it could pass DS code from the GBA slot and you could use GBA backup devices to run homebrew/pirate.

Later passthroughs were made redundant when a hacked DS firmware hit the scene. It involved shorting a protection contact on the back of the DS to install but it made it so that if a GBA device had a certain bit of code in it's header, it would automatically be loaded as a DS device.

This code was later hacked and made the first bricking program (literally displaying a brick on the screen). If you used the protected means of installing, you could reinstall... but if you didn't your device was screwed.

Later on DS slot cards started coming out. These actually had integrated DS games used to piggy back off of (which is why they were HUGE and stuck out quite a bit from the system). It wasn't till they managed to actually hack the encryption of the DS games that they were able to slim the carts down to regular DS game size.

I could go on <_< but I've already taken this off topic enough I guess.

Anyways, as others have said this one line of code doesn't mean much, if they wanted to prove it they'd have been better off displaying in the pillar boxes on the top screen. Still, will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of this in the long term. Not many people have the hardware to install modified saves into their 3DS cards.

donny2112

I want games like Ni no Kuni and Bravely Default more than anything on DS-3DS and they are the ones not coming to US :(

That should already run fine on DS and 3DS outside of Japan. It was only DSi/DSi-"enhanced" DS games that were region locked. Regular DS games were always region-free.

Top Bottom