• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

PewPewK

Just want to post a quick reminder for everyone that the offsite home of the GAF guilds is:
http://tera-gaf.enjin.com/home

Since we still got 2 days until headstart I have some time to work on it a bit. If any of you are interested in working on the site as well, shoot me a PM and I can give you admin access.

I actually do web design as sort of a student job. If you want, I could help make a much more comprehensive TERA GAF guild site sometime in the near future. (I hate guild hosting sites, I prefer to do everything by hand.)

Also, I assume the site is for both the PvE and PvP GAF guilds, correct?

But that's not it at all. ;_;

How much Japanese do you know? If you know your カタカナ, then you should know ホロ is h-o-r-o. Therefore, you cannot spell. :D

I really shouldn't be looking into a new MMO with Diablo 3 coming out soon, but I can't help it. This one definitely looks great, and I am all in for free-flowing combat, especially in an MMO setting.

I have a few days worth of time to consider, though. We'll see if I buy this.

kyubajin

Honest question:

As a casual WoW gamer who is sick of the "holy trinity" I've been really looking forward to Guild Wars 2 and its rapture from this concept. Is TERA's combat and premise so good that it really makes it possibly to bear this mechanic for yet another MMO? Endless hours wasted waiting for healers (my most played class in WoW) or tanks?

I'll be honest, with Diablo 3 just round the corner I don't think I'll get into another MMO for quite some time yet I'd love to try the genre one last time.

LordAlu

Nice OP, can't wait for this to arrive! One note to make is that if you're in the UK the release date is actually Friday 4th May, not the 3rd like the rest of the EU (if you're buying the retail version). :mad:

PewPewK

Honest question:

As a casual WoW gamer who is sick of the "holy trinity" I've been really looking forward to Guild Wars 2 and its rapture from this concept. Is TERA's combat and premise so good that it really makes it possibly to bear this mechanic for yet another MMO? Endless hours wasted waiting for healers (my most played class in WoW) or tanks?

I'll be honest, with Diablo 3 just round the corner I don't think I'll get into another MMO for quite some time yet I'd love to try the genre one last time.

I can say that the healing component is significantly more interesting than WoW's. And the dungeon finder makes finding a group for content much less painful. That said, there are still pains associated with attempting to find lancers and priests, they're just mitigated by a few helpful features.

kyubajin

I can say that the healing component is significantly more interesting than WoW's. And the dungeon finder makes finding a group for content much less painful. That said, there are still pains associated with attempting to find lancers and priests, they're just mitigated by a few helpful features.

My main gripe with my WoW Priest was that I spent 99% of the time watching health bars and doing rotations instead of watching what was going on or having fun even... Missing or just being late on 1 heal would lead to everyone blaming me or the tank, being both of us the most critical component of the party... I'm really tired of this mechanic.

PewPewK

My main gripe with my WoW Priest was that I spent 99% of the time watching health bars and doing rotations instead of watching what was going on or having fun even... Missing or just being late on 1 heal would lead to everyone blaming me or the tank, being both of us the most critical component of the party... I'm really tired of this mechanic.

Healing in TERA is more interesting (or so I believe) because you have to manually target individual players to heal them (rather than select them in the party frame). It makes it much more action-y to heal. But I doubt blaming the healer or tank will go away in TERA, but I can't say for sure.

Jackl

I'm more of a pvp guy actually. Any exceptional videos of those? The ones I'm finding aren't really grabbing my attention the way Dragon's Nest did.

Although I was surprised to discover that dodging/evasion isn't baseline for all classes.

Some classes are offensive based. Others defensive.

Videos? A few recently uploaded to youtube. Can't say if they're exceptional though lol.

Some zerg mass PvP. Healer PoV kinda bad since he just drops AoE heals and dodges attackers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMIVu8CNNsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9yHIrOT6uo

Lancer Mass PvP PoV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkxnjP9TsMg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymeylh6jnoo (HOLD THE Line) Ingame collision make bridge/chokepoint fights interesting.

Slayer group and solo PvP/ganking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3IsMjYQ1U0

Warrior Ganking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni4wKISMeB0

Hundred of vids out since OB last week.

Izayoi

Banned
How much Japanese do you know? If you know your カタカナ, then you should know ホロ is h-o-r-o. Therefore, you cannot spell. :D
The tag is very much ironic.

I get a chuckle every time it snags a junior, though. Hito doing God's work.

Ryuuga

Banned
Alright, well I guess I'll get the ball rolling for OBT screencap memories all those days ago.

tera_screenshot_20120n8kf3.png

tera_screenshot_20120wikah.png

tera_screenshot_20120arjrn.png

tera_screenshot_20120zoj9m.png

tera_screenshot_20120kjjnx.png

Ryuuga

Banned
. This leads to the routine in MMOs that usually puts me off.
step 1. see enemies just hanging out somewhere in an open field
step 2. proximity or an opening attach by me triggers the enemies
No way stealth around a lot of enemies if I need to get past them
step 3. both the enemy and I stand in place and trade blows
step 4. enemy dies, respawns 15 minutes later

I think what I have seen so far is the early level areas where it feels a lot like traditional MMOs

I'm not particularly sure what videos you've watched, but none of those steps have remotely anything to do with how TERA is played. It's actually quite the contrary to all the points you brought up about MMO tropes that put you off. Point is, you could watch all the media you want, but still wouldn't understand what makes the game special without experiencing it (as well as almost every other game in existence).

Frogster so bad, they had one EU pvp server at first and guess what now it's full. What did they expect...

They added another but I can't even log in and delete my char.

Hixx

Does anyone know (recently ordered from there, maybe) if Amazon UK are still giving out early access codes for pre-orders or am I too late? All it says on the page is that they had beta codes but obviously that's a bit redundant now...

Staring at bars will get you killed in Tera when a BAM lands on your head. (Cloth is super squishy.)

Priest healing skills are either lock-on (have to be within a certain distance and mouse the target over who you want to heal) or circle based (can't target, just have to know where it's going to appear).

You occasionally look over the bars as an overview of where everyone's health is, but after you need to find the person who you want to heal and that means moving around since BAMs almost never stand still.

The only bad thing about being a healer is that soloing is painfully slow since you are not (and never can be) a damage class.

I actually do web design as sort of a student job. If you want, I could help make a much more comprehensive TERA GAF guild site sometime in the near future. (I hate guild hosting sites, I prefer to do everything by hand.)

I don't know anything about web design, but you're welcome to play around with Enjin's back end (tee hee) and see if it can customized to suit your needs. If you register on the site I'll grant you admin access. I'm not sure if you need to upgrade from a free to a paid plan in order to get full control and code in HTML or whatever though.

Also, I assume the site is for both the PvE and PvP GAF guilds, correct?

It is.

You should spend less time playing bad games and focus on Tera. And buy a new hard drive already!

LordAlu

Shop-To just sent me my pre-order code and stuff. Downloading the client now, yay! :D

Does anyone know (recently ordered from there, maybe) if Amazon UK are still giving out early access codes for pre-orders or am I too late? All it says on the page is that they had beta codes but obviously that's a bit redundant now...
I only ordered my boxed copy from Shop-To on Tuesday I think? Paid for it upfront and got my code today.

kiryogi

Banned
I don't know anything about web design, but you're welcome to play around with Enjin's back end (tee hee) and see if it can customized to suit your needs. If you register on the site I'll grant you admin access. I'm not sure if you need to upgrade from a free to a paid plan in order to get full control and code in HTML or whatever though.

It is.

You should spend less time playing bad games and focus on Tera. And buy a new hard drive already!

PSO2 is awesome. Tera was retarded having the Betas only on certain days.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You are retarded for working such strange hours and having your days off not on weekends! :D

I'll wait until PSO2 isn't in moonrunes before I try that game out.

PSO2 looks fantastic, but this point is pretty substantial. There hasn't been any solid indications as to when this will happen (from what little I've researched). The thousands of hours PSO has sucked away from me will never be forgotten, and really, they may never be relived (which I'm OK with).

NeOak

Honest question:

I play a Priest, and healing felt different enough to make it feel fresh to what I was used to do as a Resto druid.

Also, people aren't dependent on healers for everything, if they move they avoid stuff 100%. No DK pull here lol

Lé Blade Runner;37302746 said:
Well, this game definitely looks amazing. I don't know.. I am so tempted to try it right now. But 50$ and Diablo 3 around the corner... Argh!

Get an early start key, it'll allow you to play this weekend for free.

I'm not sure if you need to upgrade from a free to a paid plan in order to get full control and code in HTML or whatever though.
I think some of us would be willing to help you with that.

Tesseract

Banned
i love everything about this game but the character designs. the elin race makes me want to put a gun in my mouth. still, i'll be there day 1 for the world pvp fun.

EDarkness

Will we be able to make more than one character this time around? I'd like to get my warrior created to reserve the name.

Will we be able to make more than one character this time around? I'd like to get my warrior created to reserve the name.

8 per server.

i probably won't reach the next lvl cap with GW2 BWE but i definitely will use all of saturday to play. Sunday is a toss up on how well GW2 does on friday.

Great OT! Can't wait to jump back into Tera, I've missed it oh so much!

My i5 2500k and 2nd GTX 570 are arriving today, so my new PC's body shall be ready.

TGMIII

Trying to decide between a priest or a Mystic. I thought there weren't really going to be that many priests but checking out the forums there seems to be a decent amount compared to Mystics.

Visceir

I'm not sure what's happening here but LOL.

GW2 does have auto-lock-on tab-targeting click-combat.

Sorry to go off topic, but I thought GW2's combat was much like Tera's? Ateast I vaguely remember a trailer where they were showing off how you can dodge and stuff.

Muddimar

I'm going to play this weekend until my hands fall off. My Baraka Priest will hit as close to 32 as humanly possible, that is my goal.

Hixx

Shop-To just sent me my pre-order code and stuff. Downloading the client now, yay! :D

I only ordered my boxed copy from Shop-To on Tuesday I think? Paid for it upfront and got my code today.

Yeah think I'm gonna go with Shopto, few quid more but they've never let me down.

Sorry to go off topic, but I thought GW2's combat was much like Tera's? Ateast I vaguely remember a trailer where they were showing off how you can dodge and stuff.

Yeah you can dodge and all that like Tera but you are still locked on to targets, in Tera you have to aim with the crosshair. Though, GW2 has a nice auto target feature that targets the nearest enemy when you peform attacks if no other target it's selected.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, since this is what I've gathered up from videos and reviews etc.

Top Bottom