• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

Roussow

So. Should I just play Okami? The Allies have been talking about it quite a bit lately with the new remaster announcement, and they all seem to have deep reverence for it. I think I have it on PS3 thanks to a PS+ years ago, although I never touched it. I was thinking on picking up the PS4 version when it releases, but I assume that PS3 port would suffice for a first playthrough, hopefully it's compatible with a dualshock 4.

I've seen footage of Okami, but I still don't even know what sort of game it is, or how it plays. Is it as notable a classic and as I've been led to believe, and a mandatory play?

So. Should I just play Okami? The Allies have been talking about it quite a bit lately with the new remaster announcement, and they all seem to have deep reverence for it. I think I have it on PS3 thanks to a PS+ years ago, although I never touched it. I was thinking on picking up the PS4 version when it releases, but I assume that PS3 port would suffice for a first playthrough, hopefully it's compatible with a dualshock 4.

I've seen footage of Okami, but I still don't even know what sort of game it is, or how it plays. Is it as notable a classic and as I've been led to believe, and a mandatory play?
Okami is really great. I'd categorize it as a Zelda style adventure game. Just know going in A) the start of the game is slow and a bit of a slog and B) the game is really long. There's a reason the game has the joke of being 3 games in one

But if you own it it's absolutely worth giving it a try. I played it when it came out on PS2 and really enjoyed it

Bahorel

Okami is amazing! Most people compare it to Zelda gameplay wise I would say. The art style alone is a treat. The only drawback is unskippable long form dialogue which can be fine enough the first time but after subsequent playthriughs is maddening. Despite that it's fantastic and charming and def go for it. I don't know if there's going to be a huge leap of difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions anyway especially if you don't have a 4k tv.

However I'm guessing the PS4 version will let you draw the ink gestures with the touchpad, while the PS3 you'll have to draw with the joysticks

Ian is Ian

I appreciate where you're coming from but until that someone actively says otherwise you probably shouldn't assume/call something else, especially when no one else is doing it (and not in a spiteful way or anything)

Not that it's really something to be discussed but the vibe I've gotten is Ian is more about fluidity than anything else

Bahorel

Ian is Ian

I appreciate where you're coming from but until that someone actively says otherwise you probably shouldn't assume/call something else, especially when no one else is doing it (and not in a spiteful way or anything)

Not that it's really something to be discussed but the vibe I've gotten is Ian is more about fluidity than anything else

This.

Plus when it's served with a backhanded compliment it's easy to see it as mocking

ToonLink

Ian is up there as one of my favourite allies. <3

Regarding NnK 2 and Monster Hunter World, I think MHW would probably benefit from a launch purchase more, but I'm more invested in NnK so I'll get that first for sure. I'll settle for watching Ben and Huber's weekly hunts for my MH fix instead.

Ian is Ian

Ian responded on twitter that any pronoun is fine and Ian regularely uses female pronouns and has "hostess of easy update" in the intro/bio. I thought it was her/his prefered pronoun since it's used all the time and got used in the last episode. i tried to be respectful. getting outraged that i used "she" is just dumb.

This.

Plus when it's served with a backhanded compliment it's easy to see it as mocking

what backhanded compliment? people get annoyed of other people's ticks, that's not a personal attack in any way. if you meant the other part: the surreal style of easy update had to grow on me.

Wow I was coming in here wondering about that because normally it didn't seem that straight forward personally but I was also a bit afraid to ask.
Also worried that maybe I had not done so correctly when referring to Ian in the past.

the1npc

Hearing about patreon drop bums me out. I only started the podcast this summer when ps i love you died (eza is so much better imho) and now im in school and broke. I could maybe squeeze $1 a month but things are a bit tight.

Also kyles voice for "rank the significance" this week killed me

Bahorel

Hearing about patreon drop bums me out. I only started the podcast this summer when ps i love you died (eza is so much better imho) and now im in school and broke. I could maybe squeeze $1 a month but things are a bit tight.

Also kyles voice for "rank the significance" this week killed me

It's actually gone up about a 1000ish in the last month so it may be recovering. Or maybe new sponsors

the1npc

It's actually gone up about a 1000ish in the last month so it may be recovering. Or maybe new sponsors

Thats good to hear. im hoping ill have my stuff together by next summer and can support them better and maybe even get some of the new games they talk about.

I've fallen off a bit from EZA. Can't really say why; I just... have. I still download all the podcasts, but I find myself just completely skipping Frame Trap because it's so long, and for regular podcast I go on YouTube and just skip to the parts I'm interested in. Movie podcast I'll always listen to; Nintendo when it's about something I'm interested. Also there for the reviews, usually.

Almost never watch streams / other YouTube content though. I just think it's because it's stuff I don't care about like Tabletop and whatnot, or games I have no interest in seeing (fun game Monday / most group streams / the random play throughs. On the play through note, it doesn't help that episodes are usually soooooo far apart from each other it's hard to stay invested). Would really like if they put more of an effort into full play through Fridays. Also won't lie, I'm still put off a bit by their sub-only chat during E3; totally ruined it for me.

However the day Jones plays GoldenEye again I'm there :p

ShadyK54

I've fallen off a bit from EZA. Can't really say why; I just... have. I still download all the podcasts, but I find myself just completely skipping Frame Trap because it's so long, and for regular podcast I go on YouTube and just skip to the parts I'm interested in. Movie podcast I'll always listen to; Nintendo when it's about something I'm interested. Also there for the reviews, usually.

Almost never watch streams / other YouTube content though. I just think it's because it's stuff I don't care about like Tabletop and whatnot, or games I have no interest in seeing (fun game Monday / most group streams / the random play throughs. On the play through note, it doesn't help that episodes are usually soooooo far apart from each other it's hard to stay invested). Would really like if they put more of an effort into full play through Fridays. Also won't lie, I'm still put off a bit by their sub-only chat during E3; totally ruined it for me.

However the day Jones plays GoldenEye again I'm there :p

giphy.gif

Bahorel

They did change the rules for chat to be more open mid e3 but I don't remember the circumstances. I'm pretty sure it was anyone inbetween conferences and subs during the actual conference. They would bring back people during reactions (I think that's how it was anyway)

It makes sense to me anyway. The thought being that it would go too fast to read or be modded during the reveals

Mikey Jr.

They did change the rules for chat to be more open mid e3 but I don't remember the circumstances. I'm pretty sure it was anyone inbetween conferences and subs during the actual conference. They would bring back people during reactions (I think that's how it was anyway)

It makes sense to me anyway. The thought being that it would go too fast to read or be modded during the reveals

Yeah, sub only was for literally only when the conference was happening.

And EZA wasn't going to read your comment in a comment section going at a million miles per hour.

So who cares?

Eh explained all of this during E3 to deaf ears, here's a quick summary I guess.

-Sub chat or no the allies weren't going to read chat during conferences, so why opt for more extreme option over something like follow only chat?
-If allies were screaming and jumping out of chairs, why is chat held to a higher standard (IE: "oh, without sub chat you can't have a conversation") when people would also enjoy yelling, it happens once a year and it's supposed to be a fun, hype event, the post-mortems and deep conversations happen, well, post-mortem
-Many streamers with higher view counts were doing fine with either no chat restrictions at all or something less destructive like follow mode, slow mode, delay, etc, so why did allies feel the need to go from 0 to sub mode
-Even when it WASN'T sub mode, allies had a ridiculous like 30-45 second slow mode in chat anyway (honestly think there were times when it was 90 seconds, but can't quite remember), so chat was neutered for the entirety of E3, not just press conferences.

Szeth

The best part of twitch chat is to watch it go nuts during crazy reveals. I'd argue it should have been the other way around with sub only most of the time then let loose during the conferences. Doesn't need to be modded anyway as everyone is busy watching and freaking out.

Doesn't matter anyway as it should have just been on followers only +30s slow mode the whole time.

ShadyK54

Yeah, sub only was for literally only when the conference was happening.

And EZA wasn't going to read your comment in a comment section going at a million miles per hour.

So who cares?

This, really. It's over and done with at this point anyway.

My original gif response was just me wondering how one could be miffed about it still. Seems so miniscule in hindsight IMO.

This, really. It's over and done with at this point anyway.

My original gif response was just me wondering how one could be miffed about it still. Seems so miniscule in hindsight IMO.

I mean, I don't wake up every day thinking "I can't believe you've done this," but it's pretty clear that it's a system they're going to keep so it'll pop up every time there's a conference I would have preferred to watch on their stream as opposed to ones with free chats.

Discussion today prompted by above comments about Patreon supposedly going down? Was just throwing feedback.

Auctopus

As someone living in rural England, having a game "not work" because you're at 6.7mbs instead of 300 is the ultimate 1st World problem. I'm living it up on my 7mbs Wi-Fi-driven Crucible.

MrMette

I don't know if this is the main cause but Ian mentioned they lost people after the nazi discussions.

Good riddance if they unsubscribed because they didn't agree with one discussion. People should understand that other people can have different opinions than them.

And it's not because of the topic it was about (I did agree with the allies here, but I usually am quite good in seeing other people's perspective even if I don't agree with it), but just in general.

Communities work better with open minded people anyway (imo). I understand that they unsubscribed if they couldn't handle it (and they should if they felt this strongly about it), but I don't think it is a big loss if the reason was that they didn't agree with one discussion.

I don't know if this is the main cause but Ian mentioned they lost people after the nazi discussions.

Good riddance. I'll up my pledge just to spite those hateful idiots more.

Edit: And done. Do I need to change around my podcast RSS feed or does that update automatically?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I would think Jones would make time for it. Seemed like he enjoyed the one he streamed awhile ago, from what I remember.

Fingers crossed then. I decently liked the first one but not to the point I'd buy the second on release I missed that other steamworld game as well. But something about the buzz for steamworld dig 2 and me being exhausted of rpgs(which is bad since cold steel 3 arrives early next month for me) kinda yearning for a small game to reset.

abrack08

Fingers crossed then. I decently liked the first one but not to the point I'd buy the second on release I missed that other steamworld game as well. But something about the buzz for steamworld dig 2 and me being exhausted of rpgs(which is bad since cold steel 3 arrives early next month for me) kinda yearning for a small game to reset.

At the very least Ian mentioned playing it while waiting for the internet to get fixed so we'll hopefully get at least some impressions the next time she's on Frametrap.

At least with this weeks bump it has a chance of staying above the $40k mark. A couple more sponsors would be nice. I don't want to have friend code and reaction shots suspended

Karu

Felt the same about the first one. Bought 2 Day One anyway because of sai@ buzz on GAF and yeah, totally fell in love with it, fantastic sequel.

Hasney

I'd have voted for it if it was multiplayer. Screw single player modes for a group stream when there's multiplayer there.

Voted Not pokken so FIFA since it's the largest not pokken option.

This will be a real test to a Nintendo game always winning or not theory

It'll probably still win

Top Bottom