• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Veelk

Banned
Really stupid question.....how the fuck do you rez with the new mercy? Literally smashing left trigger and not getting rez off.

Do you have Rez assigned to left trigger?

Rez is no longer an ultimate (ability 3). It's either Ability 1 or 2. You either have to rebind or else learn to hit the correct button.

jviggy43

Do you have Rez assigned to left trigger?

Rez is no longer an ultimate (ability 3). It's either Ability 1 or 2. You either have to rebind or else learn to hit the correct button.
I was literally smashing left trigger on a dead person and nothing happened. And then someone said they were reporting me in quick play for throwing. Like... man what luck

Trying again...still not working. How the fuck does this work? Lol I feel like a moron

Alright, I can't take quick play and arcade anymore. I prefer to wait until I see gaf members in comp cause I refuse to soloq anymore. But I can't do these other modes anymore either, they're infuriating.

As a Winston mainer I'v always prefered having Zarya, her bubbles give me a good extra few seconds before having to use mine, and Graviton makes getting multi kills so easy, especially when she nabs characters like Mercy and Tracer in it.

As far as counter dive, good ol Reaper blasting right into Winstons face tends to do the trick. I like Hog and Junkrat as well, characters with lots of health or who can easily melt the squishy flankers.

I always have found DVa is better with Winston (I play both) because she can dive in with you and either DM you before you bubble, or peel the peelers. With her new abilities, she can take out a support on the way in, as well.

Veelk

Banned
I was literally smashing left trigger on a dead person and nothing happened. And then someone said they were reporting me in quick play for throwing. Like... man what luck

Trying again...still not working. How the fuck does this work? Lol I feel like a moron

Well, like I asked, do you have Rez assigned to left trigger?

Go to Options, go to Controls, select Mercy from the hero drop down menu.

The new Rez is her "Secondary Fire", and check whats assigned to that.

jviggy43

Seriously does anyone know what rez is now on console? Says it's left trigger but I keep smashing it and nothing happens? Do you have to do something specific? Tried to Google it and can't find any answers and my left trigger works cause I've been playing destiny all day.

A lot of the discussion in this thread is weird and riddled with shitposts. I agree with you though OP replaying story missions and adding higher difficulty modifier to all missions would be a great addition. They could even attach some kind of reward to it though it seems like that would mess up the economy they’ve established in this game.
Agreed. In the article i posted the author brought up that in D1 adding a difficulty modifier rewarded you with better rewards which would be nice.

Ok nothing was assigned to it. So the game just automatically doesn't assign a button for that ability?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
the game really needs something to work towards unlocking outside of events

even golden guns have lost their luster to grind.

jviggy43

Well, like I asked, do you have Rez assigned to left trigger?

Go to Options, go to Controls, select Mercy from the hero drop down menu.

The new Rez is her "Secondary Fire", and check whats assigned to that.
Sorry my post copied and pasted the wrong post. Nothing was assigned to my rez but the hero details listed it as LT. Wasted an entire match trying to figure out why it wouldn't let me rez. That's so strange that it wouldn't automatically set it for you, no?

Veelk

Banned
the game really needs something to work towards unlocking outside of events

even golden guns have lost their luster to grind.

Didn't they already say that they think making golden guns as an incentive for comp was a bad idea? So I doubt they'll be doing that.

Which makes me a bit sad. I don't like the golden weapons, so I was hoping they'd do a better with something else.

Sorry my post copied and pasted the wrong post. Nothing was assigned to my rez but the hero details listed it as LT. Wasted an entire match trying to figure out why it wouldn't let me rez. That's so strange that it wouldn't automatically set it for you, no?

I think they do for PC, but not console. I remember Bastion's new repair didn't have an assigned button until I set it. I don't know why, other than Blizzard going "console players lol"

The Hero Details don't match what you change your settings to, so it's a bad idea to look toward those.

I was wondering if they would add invincibility frames to Lucio and Rein while they're winding up. Seems only fair.

Nothing for Genji. Never anything for Genji.

Why would they? I think if you see an enemy winding up for an ult and react to interrupt them, it's only fair that they should lose it.

Soldier being able to get away with his ult is the real crime here, as always.

Really stupid question.....how the fuck do you rez with the new mercy? Literally smashing left trigger and not getting rez off.

Same thing happened to me in my first match as her, and even worse it was a comp match. You'd really think the skill would have gotten auto binded to something.

Owzers

I think my overwatch return was a good summary of the game, some good, a thrower, some terrible, and I’m ready for more tomorrow.

jviggy43

Same thing happened to me in my first match as her, and even worse it was a comp match. You'd really think the skill would have gotten auto binded to something.
Glad I'm not crazy. I googled it and nothing came up and when I looked at hero details it showed up as LT. I didn't know it was under alternate fire (for whatever reasom) which was automatically set as nothing. Like...why? Haha. I had a kid report me and said my whole team did because from their perspective I was literally walking up to their dead bodies and just standing there. Hopefully i dont get in trouble for that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm HARD.

tumblr_ovvnwqMIGN1vao3k0o1_400.gif

Went 4-0 tonight on my main and 1-3 on my alt account. Good night on my main. Bummer that I couldn't get much out of my alt account tonight. Tomorrow will be better, I hope.

maomaoIYP

Glad I'm not crazy. I googled it and nothing came up and when I looked at hero details it showed up as LT. I didn't know it was under alternate fire (for whatever reasom) which was automatically set as nothing. Like...why? Haha. I had a kid report me and said my whole team did because from their perspective I was literally walking up to their dead bodies and just standing there. Hopefully i dont get in trouble for that.
Do you play with customized controls for Mercy? For example my Mercy has jump/glide on L2, so resurrect came unbound with the new patch. Same for DVa's missiles.

Chance

Do you play with customized controls for Mercy? For example my Mercy has jump/glide on L2, so resurrect came unbound with the new patch. Same for DVa's missiles.

I've got a setup on PS4 I really like for Mercy:

R1 = Blue
R2 = Heal

L1 = Guardian Angel
L2 = Jump

R3 = Swap Weapon
L3 = Melee - this feels super-wrong at first, but I put so much time into Mercy it's second nature now.

Triangle = Rez - because you've spent a year with triangle as rez, it just feels right.
X = Valkyrie. This allows you to quickly tap triangle-X-triangle to do a double rez at the start of your Valkyrie.
Square = Reload
Circle = Crouch

The only thing that's not great for me is circle on crouch. It's super uncomfy to hit for descent during Valkyrie, but I'm not prepared to lose any other shoulder buttons, and I'm growing used to it.

Veelk

Banned
L3 = Melee - this feels super-wrong at first, but I put so much time into Mercy it's second nature now.

....Heh....

I might try this out, but it's gonna be SUUUPER hard to unlearn. And it's impossible with some characters that I have set up (like Ana), but it might be useful for Genji.

Chance

....Heh....

I might try this out, but it's gonna be SUUUPER hard to unlearn. And it's impossible with some characters that I have set up (like Ana), but it might be useful for Genji.

If you already have swap weapon in a super comfy place where you can switch, might not be worth it - but I need to swap while aiming, so it has to be an R or L button. It took a LONG time to adjust to melee on L3.

Veelk

Banned
If you already have swap weapon in a super comfy place where you can switch, might not be worth it - but I need to swap while aiming, so it has to be an R or L button. It took a LONG time to adjust to melee on L3.

I believe you, but it might really the ideal choice for some characters, like Mercy. But if I'm gonna change it for one character, I should change it for all of them, since that means I can just transfer the muscle memory to other characters.

For me, the only characters for whom a melee on L3 won't work is Ana (I need all her buttons for something else) and Orisa (L3 is a better place for her ult)

I've got a setup on PS4 I really like for Mercy:

R1 = Blue
R2 = Heal

L1 = Guardian Angel
L2 = Jump

R3 = Swap Weapon

Triangle = Rez - because you've spent a year with triangle as rez, it just feels right.
X = Valkyrie. This allows you to quickly tap triangle-X-triangle to do a double rez at the start of your Valkyrie.
Square = Reload
Circle = Crouch

The only thing that's not great for me is circle on crouch. It's super uncomfy to hit for descent during Valkyrie, but I'm not prepared to lose any other shoulder buttons, and I'm growing used to it.

Thats a cool idea for swapping guns and melee, I gotta change to that. I had been using a pretty much identical set to yours otherwise, it makes Valkyrie so much more deadly when you can easily hover/ascend while shooting downards, also you can spam bunny hops for extra survivability lol.

Though I'm 90% sure I'm gonna keep Valkyrie on X and Ult on Triangle, my brain would get too crossed otherwise and I'd much rather accidentally hit X and do nothing than pop Valkyrie in the middle of nowhere.

Veelk

Banned
Hey, console ana's.

How important is it to put Nanoboost on L3? This whole melee on L3 thing is kinda working, and while it's obviously better to have it on L3, how necessary is it? Can I mitigate the damage by messing with the sensitivity?

Veelk

Banned
I have swap weapon on L3. In my case I don't see the point of putting that on R3.

A lot of abilities work much smoother on R3 than anywhere else. Orisa lets you aim and fire both your main gun and the halt at the same time. I can put Genji's deflect there and it doesn't feel awkward the way it being on L3 does. McCree's flashbang is a MAJOR improvement since I can now throw it and instantly fire. And I talked before about how scoping in using R3 actually feels pretty good while also freeing up a button.

I tried to put a lot of abiltiies on L3, but I could never get used to it for some reason. But melee is something you mostly infrequently use doesn't require precision or cooldown management, and can be universal to ALL characters. I'm still not used to it, but it works a lot better for me this way for a lot of characters.

Except Ana. Damn her and her need to aim everything she does.

A lot of abilities work much smoother on R3 than anywhere else. Orisa lets you aim and fire both your main gun and the halt at the same time. I can put Genji's deflect there and it doesn't feel awkward the way it being on L3 does. McCree's flashbang is a MAJOR improvement since I can now throw it and instantly fire. And I talked before about how scoping in using R3 actually feels pretty good while also freeing up a button.

I tried to put a lot of abiltiies on L3, but I could never get used to it for some reason. But melee is something you mostly infrequently use doesn't require precision or cooldown management, and can be universal to ALL characters. I'm still not used to it, but it works a lot better for me this way for a lot of characters.

Except Ana. Damn her and her need to aim everything she does.

I don't really like using L3 that much, since I use melee very frequently I'd rather have it on R3 or L1 in some specific cases (Orisa and Zarya come to mind).

You mentioned McCree and Orisa, I can do what you mentioned without using R3. McCree I have the flashbang on L2 with primary and secondary fire being on R2/R1. Orisa the halt ability is on R1 while the primary fire is on L2.

L3 works pretty well with Genji's deflect but I can't imagine putting melee there, I use melee so much with him and Tracer that it has to be R3.

In the end it's a matter of preference, feeling confortable is all that matters.

Veelk

Banned
I don't really like using L3 that much, since I use melee very frequently I'd rather have it on R3 or L1 in some specific cases (Orisa and Zarya come to mind).

You mentioned McCree and Orisa, I can do what you mentioned without using R3. McCree I have the flashbang on L2 with primary and secondary fire being on R2/R1. Orisa the halt ability is on R1 while the primary fire is on L2.

L3 works pretty well with Genji's deflect but I can't imagine putting melee there, I use melee so much with him and Tracer that it has to be R3.

In the end it's a matter of preference, feeling confortable is all that matters.

L2 is used for Jump with literally every character. I've gotten so used to it that I can't unlearn it. I need jump on L2 for genji, and there's little reason not to have it with certain other characters that have free slots there. But after a while, especially if I have a long session with a character that uses L2 for jump, my muscle memory didn't differentiate between characters and kept trying to use L2 to jump for everyone. In the end, I had to use L2 for jump on every character. I still like it. It lets me feel I ahve more control of the character. Some characters this isn't as much a benefit to (Reinhardt for example), but it messes with my head if it's not there, so I basically need it to be.

As a result, I've had to map atleast one ability from every character elsewhere. And for the most part, it's worked fine, since nearly all characters have one non aim dependent ability I can just hit. Except for Ana.

L2 is used for Jump with literally every character. I've gotten so used to it that I can't unlearn it. And then there's the universality aspect. I need jump on L2 for genji, and there's little reason not to have it with certain other characters that have free slots there. But after a while, especially if I have a long session with Genji, my muscle memory didn't differentiate between characters and kept trying to use L2 to jump for everyone.

In the end, I like Jump on L2 too much to move it now. It lets me feel I ahve more control of the character. Some characters this isn't as much a benefit to (Reinhardt for example), but it messes with my head if it's not there, so I basically need it to be.

As a result, I've had to map atleast one ability from every character elsewhere. And for the most part, it's worked fine, since nearly all characters have one non aim dependent ability I can just hit. Except for Ana.

If only Sony released a official controller with paddles :\

L2 for jumping does feel pretty good, I use it there for some characters.

Blues1990

nice

hope she got some new pre-match interactions too, she's only had exchanges with Torbjorn and Lucio for what feels like forever

nice

hope she got some new pre-match interactions too, she's only had exchanges with Torbjorn and Lucio for what feels like forever

I would like it if she complements on the achievements the science & engineering-focused heroes have gained, such as Winston with the Chronal Accelerator or Mei in the field of Cryogenics. Maybe show that she isn't
(always)
antagonistic towards others.

Holy SHIT finally!!! I remember her VA saying some time late last year that she was definitely down to say some stuff in Hindi for Symmetra, so Blizzard finally going through with it is great!

Would love if they would also give her an enemy ult voice line in Hindi as well. Love this either way though!

Maybe this will be the start for the other heroes to speak a line or two in their native tongue. Jonny Cruz did say he would be down to learn some Portuguese (at least to speak it at a competent/fluent level) for Lucio, but that is on Blizzard's call.

I’ve noticed that when we have a mccree we are more likely to lose, at least up to mid platinum. I hate it. I can almost guarantee a loss when we have one.

Also, I’ve been playing mercy in comp and it must be a bad night because I’m getting paired with absolute morons. We just can’t win. Getting a lot of widow, hanzo, etc.

This season has been so bad for pairings. I sort of wish Blizzard would look at the top 3 or so characters someone has played and do their best to pair up people how like to tank with those who like to heal and those who like to DPS. Rather than just in a pot, stir and HEY LOOK A TEAM!

Veelk

Banned
Okay, after putting a few hours into her....ana doesn't really feel satisfying. I wish I had tried her back when she had her 80 damage shot, because 60 damage truly does nothing. I know that made her a bit overpowered on PC, but I think she'd be hard to use even with that damage. And then there's the whole aiming thing.....

She is fun to play in the sense that I like sleeping enemies and snipe healing from the back. Maybe if, once i get fully used to her controls, I try her in competitive and it'll work a lot better with people who communicate, because she really does require an order of magnitude more teamwork than any other character. But that really makes her hard to practice solo.

NeoRaider

Okay, after putting a few hours into her....ana doesn't really feel satisfying to play. I wish I had tried her back when she had her 80 damage shot, because 60 damage truly does nothing. I know that made her a bit overpowered on PC, but I think she'd be hard to use even with that damage. And then there's the whole aiming thing.....

She is fun to play in the sense that I like sleeping enemies and snipe healing from the back. Maybe if, once i get fully used to her controls, I try her in competitive and it'll work a lot better with people who communicate, because she really does require an order of magnitude more teamwork than any other character. But that really makes her hard to practice solo.

Out of all the healers her survivability is the worst. Bad DMG and mobility. If you don't have sleep dart ready or if you miss it, you are done.

At first I was concerned about D.VA. Not being able to eat soldier, reaper, pharah ults and not being able to do the primary duty of protecting WInston / supports seemed rough. And then staying in the mech was difficult at first because DM goes so quickly.

HOWEVER, now I've changed my play style to be far more aggressive and really, really digging it. You have to be a little careful diving in solo because you are vulnerable, but you can simply erase so many characters by boosting firing rockets, and using your normal attack and then finally bumping/melee'ing to finish them off. Anna, Zen, Soldier, Hanzo, Widow, Mercy are ~almost guaranteed kills if I can get a clean shot at them.

It is a crazy change in that it is such a completely different purpose for her. I'll be interested to see how it changes the pro game as she really does enable WInston to dive deep. The game has changed pretty drastically the past couple of weeks.

rulerk1

went 2-1-0 on my alt account. The draw happened because this dude had to play Hanzo first round so we couldnt do much. Next round on defense he plays Genji and we full hold them. Like why couldnt he just play that from the start. I had this duo of Mercy mains trying to play ana/mcree and droppping the ball. Wasnt until i switch mercy did we start doing anything.

sidenote: its actually concerning that a tracer can live 1 v 5 so long at times. If I died the Tracer wouldnt be killed until I respawn several times I had 70-100 kp on her as well. Wat

Got the game for the PS4 and never actually played... just finished building a new PC and after playing around on a friends account and this free weekend happening I decided why not.

Lets see how long it takes for me to go from shit to suck.

It really is daunting coming in this late.

Top Bottom