• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuldar

Fillon got a convocation from the judges this morning to be indicted on March 15th, which is a few days before all candidates for the elections are officialized. And Fillon always said he would leave the race if he were indicted.
So a few hours later he does this press conference saying that the justice is targeting him specifically, that things are going too fast to be legit, and that everything is unfair to the electoral process ; and that as a consequence he is still running and asks voters to "do the right choice"

In theory if he's indicted before the elections but still becomes president, he will benefit from immunity for the duration of the presidency and would only be tried after it ends.
As a voter I'll certainly do the right choice concerning Fillon: not voting for him.

Fillon got a convocation from the judges this morning to be indicted on March 15th, which is a few days before all candidates for the elections are officialized. And Fillon always said he would leave the race if he were indicted.
So a few hours later he does this press conference saying that the justice is targeting him specifically, that things are going too fast to be legit, and that everything is unfair to the electoral process ; and that as a consequence he is still running and asks voters to "do the right choice"

In theory if he's indicted before the elections but still becomes president, he will benefit from immunity for the duration of the presidency and would only be tried after it ends.

So he is doing the same thing as Le Pen.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
An indicted candidate... That would be a new low.

Watch out, a wild Marine appears!

EU lawmakers vote to strip Le Pen of immunity over graphic tweets

European Union lawmakers voted yesterday (28 February) to lift the EU parliamentary immunity of French presidential candidate Marine Le Pen for tweeting pictures of Islamic State violence.

Le Pen is under investigation in France for posting three graphic images of IS executions on Twitter in 2015, including the beheading of American journalist James Foley.

Responding to a request from the French judiciary, the EU lawmakers in the legal affairs committee voted to lift her immunity, officials said. The committee’s decision will have to be backed by the whole parliament in a second vote, possibly this week.

Le Pen’s immunity shields her from prosecution; lifting it would permit legal action against her. The offence being considered is “publishing violent images”, which under certain circumstances can carry a penalty of three years in prison and a fine of €75,000.

Diamond

Summary? German media isn't reporting.

:)

G.O.O.

Summary? German media isn't reporting.
picture Fillon in front of the LR HQ with an explosive jacket and his hand on a trigger

basically he stays in the race, and my guess is that they just don't have anyone for a B plan. It would be a bloodbath in the party, and they only have two weeks before they have to give the 500 signatures to the Conseil Constitutionnel in order to seal the candidacy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I have to commend French conservatives for pulling such a stunt, though. You only see this kind of reckless, suicide behaviour among the left.

En Marche, Fillon!

Mac_Lane

Fillon's such a rotten piece of shit. I hope he crashes out badly in the first round, he makes me want to puke every time I hear him speak now.

La droite la plus bête du monde.

Meanwhile, the fallout continues:
- Lemaire and his people are withdrawing their support for Fillon. They don't feel bound by their word as Fillon is breaking his own. I expect UDI to follow suit, as it's an easy out for them.
- Macron says there shouldn't be a judiciary truce because of the campaign (i.e. "Fuck you, you're not a special snowflake") and accuses Fillon of losing his nerve and being delusional in his attacks.

Le Figaro readers/commenters are still living in their bizarre bubble, I guess.
Years of Dassault brainwashing. Their blogs and web exclusive content are even worse (Thatcherite FN).

As expected, UDI is meeting this afternoon and their support for Fillon is now a debate. They're not a large political force but they have enough local officials for their departure to drag Fillon down even more.
I assume they're looking at the legislative elections right now.

Alx

Odds on them dumping Fillon and begging to get Juppe back? Is that even possible?

It doesn't seem likely, the right would completely explode from internal dissensions. Apparently Sarkozy is openly opposed to Juppé being candidate, and Juppé himself doesn't want to look like he's into shady operations.

See description from le Monde below :
Comme il y a un mois, la situation paraît bloquée avec un candidat extrêmement fragilisé qui doit son sursis au fait qu’il n’a pas de remplaçant consensuel. « Le problème reste le même : le plan B n’existe pas », résume un dirigeant LR. Et comme il y a un mois, Nicolas Sarkozy aurait fait savoir qu’il était totalement opposé à une candidature d’Alain Juppé. Lequel ne veut surtout pas apparaître comme celui qui manigance en coulisses… Quant aux représentants de la jeune génération, comme Baroin, Bertrand, Wauquiez, ils se neutralisent entre eux. « Si un jeune loup tente d’y aller, les autres lui couperont la tête », explique un poids lourd.

En savoir plus sur http://www.lemonde.fr/election-pres...ique_5087200_4854003.html#w4q52l05OVroK4uG.99

tuxfool

Banned
Odds on them dumping Fillon and begging to get Juppe back? Is that even possible?

If they dump him quickly. Unless I misunderstood somebody above said they have 2 weeks. However it looks as if Fillon is quite entrenched still.

Ac30

It doesn't seem likely, the right would completely explode from internal dissensions. Apparently Sarkozy is openly opposed to Juppé being candidate, and Juppé himself doesn't want to look like he's into shady operations.

See description from le Monde below :

Yikes, let's hope Macron can pull this off somehow.

If they dump him quickly. Unless I misunderstood somebody above said they have 2 weeks. However it looks as if Fillon is quite entrenched still.

French politics has always been scandal ridden as far back as I can remember as an outsider but this seems rediculous. Running with an indictment? Seems like political suicide.

Since LePen's numbers had dropped a tiny bit and Fillon was up again I was having nice dreams of a runoff without LePen :(

Alx

If they dump him quickly. Unless I misunderstood somebody above said they have 2 weeks.

Yes we are in a crucial phase of the pre-campaign right now. Between February 23rd and March 17th, all would-be candidates need to gather official support from 500 mayors in the country to be validated. It's usually a formality for major candidates, but time is running out for last minute changes.

Alx

It's a close call, but I don't think they can postpone the election now, since Fillon will only be officially candidate on the 17th, and he'll be indicted on the 15th. Had it been the other way around, they could claim that the indictment of an official candidate is a disturbance of the election and could justify a delay.
It's probably the reason why Fillon was so angry about the date of the convocation, because it's clearly a worst case scenario for him.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's rich. Just what the election needed, more fuckery.

Putin doesn't even need to join in!

The hidden beauty about the French system (which I despise) is that if Le Pen gets trounced, Putin's ROI will be nothing but a big fat loss.

Here's hoping she doesn't make it to the second round.

Pacbois

France is greater than all of your mistakes guys

FydvuKl.jpg

Ac30

The hidden beauty about the French system (which I despise) is that if Le Pen gets trounced, Putin's ROI will be nothing but a big fat loss.

Here's hoping she doesn't make it to the second round.

Yes, but he could still target Macron, and I'm sure they can find and or make something up.

This whole thing is insane.

I mean, Fillon getting to the second round against Le Pen and then getting indicted was always the road she had to the presidency. So in that respect, this is good?

But if Fillon doesn't drop out AND somehow makes the second round, Jesus Christ.

Can Fillon even drop out? Would it matter? This all just makes it more likely for Macron v Le Pen, which seems good because Hammon already had no shot.

G.O.O.

Can Fillon even drop out? Would it matter? This all just makes it more likely for Macron v Le Pen, which seems good because Hammon already had no shot.
It's probably too late for him to drop out. There's no way the right could agree on a candidate in 2 weeks.

At this point the election might be Macron's to lose. We'll see how it goes when he unveils his program tomorrow to begin with. He's been good so far (and lucky af) but his inexperience might show at some point.

or dies
I mean, yeah, les républicains might aswell remain open-minded about their options at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom