• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs

You seem pretty hell bent on convincing people that there's absolutely no correlation to any of this. Do you know something?

I'm not hell bent on anything. I just think its ridiculous the extent we're going to act like this is anything other than standard business. People change jobs all the time for various reasons; money, location, family, etc...

I'm not hell bent on anything. I just think its ridiculous the extent we're going to act like this is anything other than standard business. People change jobs all the time for various reasons; money, location, family, etc...

I like this post.

Also it's weird seeing so many people call the doom of Naughty Dog when the director of Uncharted 3 leaves, I thought the majority hated that.

RaikuHebi

Banned

Exactly. I was thinking how this probably happened a lot in previous gens and didn't create big stories, but these days gaming has turned into 24 hour news.

They are forming a new Studio!!!!!

Good Cat!

chadboban

What the hell!? I leave GAF for like an hour and something like this happens! Just hope this means nothing bad for UC4.

I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Don't forget, Amy Hennig was also a Director on all three Uncharted games.

Yeah. She was the main director on Uncharted 1, but wasn't for Uncharted 2 and 3 (I mean, she wasn't the main director, but still had a directing role).

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on GAF who liked Uncharted 3. :(

I love Uncharted 3. I prefer Uncharted 2 overall, but Uncharted 3 is way up there.

We're entering parody levels here now. I used to joke that Kaz Hirai will be the only person working at Sony by the end of the year - now it's looking like it'll actually happen.

Seriously though, what the fuck is going on over at Naughty Dog.

Lingitiz

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on GAF who liked Uncharted 3. :(

I liked it too, but it was just uninspired in comparison to Uncharted 2. They pretty much made the exact same game with shockingly similar plot points. That's not a bad thing, it was just a lot less effective and the novelty began to wear off.

StuBurns

Banned
This fire's only going to get bigger, you can smell the fumes. This shit's going to be an inferno by the time E3 rolls around. When that happens Sony needs to step the fuck up and show the world they still got that first party swagger. They need to blow us away.

Call me crazy, but this tickle in my brain tells me they won't be able to do that.
You can't possibly believe people care about this?

How many people of the PlayStation audience have any idea who Justin Richmond is? They only care if UC4 is good or not, not who made it.

If Sony has a good showing at E3 or not, and I'm sure they will, this 'mass exodus' is going to have zero impact on PS4's market performance.

Squalor

I think most people here liked U3. However I think most people feel it was a step back from Uncharted 2, myself included.
He's not talking about that. He's talking about the people who are disparaging the game in this thread as if it were garbage.

They're just the vocal minority, though. The people who like the game don't need to shout their approval from the rooftops because the overwhelming majority of people already know it's a really good game.

I wonder what is happening at Sony. I think Yoshida or someone high up is making changes and requests based on financial restructuring that is affecting everyone at WWS. That is the only explanation I can think of of why so many people are being laid off, top dogs are leaving and projects are getting cancelled.

I hope Sony knows what they are doing...

modsbox

Has anyone even pointed out the location aspect of all this? Guy works at a studio in Santa Monica, thus lives where he has a good commute to it. If he doesn't want to move his family (kids in good nearby schools, etc) or have a bad commute he only has a few choices right there in Santa Monica right? Activision, Treyarch and Riot.

My guess is he sent a few emails, answered a few linkedins when the Amy/Uncharted stuff went down; Riot came up with a compelling offer and he went for it.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
We sure Riot just didn't drive up with a Brinks truck to his house? They seem to be in the business of poaching developers with the insane amount of cash they have.

i bet naughty dog asked their higher ups to lay people off, and the higher ups refused, so they took a stand and left themselves.

similar to what happened with ed catmull at lucasArts

Squalor

Oh man, if only Uncharted 3 was actually any good. I can't even pretend to give a crap.

Quite possibly the most offensive video "game" I've ever "played" in my life.
HYPERBOLE ALERT!
That guy's post is a perfect example of what I just talked about, the vocal minority who feel as though they need to disparage the game just because a large majority of people have agreed it's good, really good, or great.

I liked it too, but it was just uninspired in comparison to Uncharted 2. They pretty much made the exact same game with shockingly similar plot points. That's not a bad thing, it was just a lot less effective and the novelty began to wear off.

And the aiming in that game at launch really was atrocious.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Why are people so sure that he would be working on LoL? I'm sure Riot is working on other shit, they would be dumb not to be.

Wait and see is better than coming to rash conclusions in my book and just because people think that this isn't something to be concerned about doesn't mean it's "fanboy BS" as you put it. .
There is nothing rash about believing it as an option. I was fine with it, but this has been happening on a weekly basis, and this is coming from a company that doesn't fire workers as much as the bigger teams unless you compare them to Nintendo. I just find it absolutely shocking that people seem to be putting it off as the usual.

What other evidence is there?
Because other than when the 2 studios were shut down by Shu (which some of their workers still went to WWS), this is the biggest in terms of big name players/scale of people leaving/being fired at WWS? Do you seriously have to ask?...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
eh
lastofusjnjpc.png

scoobs

Why are people so sure that he would be working on LoL? I'm sure Riot is working on other shit, they would be dumb not to be.

They've been hiring a lot, I would be shocked if they didn't have a new game in the works. Having said that... you need lots of employees to keep that rabid fan-base happy.

Exactly. I was thinking how this probably happened a lot in previous gens, but these days gaming has turned into 24 hour news.

Uhu, I'm only nerdy enough to know individuals and how and when they left for a few franchices, but look at something like Silent Hill. There was a new director for every Silent Hill game with team silent... and producers were also changed around all the time. They still maintained to be pretty damn consistently awesome and even though the director of SH1 left completey, SH2 is still pretty much regarded as the best one... and SH3 being pretty damn popular too which was a new director again, who then joined Kojima. It seems pretty damn normal for people to move around a lot like this.

I'm sure there's still lots of people at ND that have worked on the different uncharted games and can carry the ideas over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom