• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

I want to be hyped by Injustice 2, but historically I know that fighting games are just not a good investment for me. I'll probably just watch Jaime's story on youtube.

Penguin

So was marvel final fight and contest of champions :p

I don't know which will sell better, and I don't even think MvCI looks better than Injustice 2, but a hardcore gaming community preferring to back the more hardcore competitive game shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Nor should it matter considering how regularly Gaf is wrong about a great many things
Yeah but I meant Injustice itself
You draw a straight line from the mobile and console game
MvC doesn't tie into a mobile game yet...

They don't need to pull data from superheroine movies. This is the mistake that Hollywood executives make all the damn time, and it is extremely frustrating watching people here excuse a line of thinking they'd typically condemn. She's a superhero. You market her like any other fucking superhero. Her being a woman doesn't change the fact that she needs a blockbuster marketing budget. The DCEU has 3 films that printed money on the backs of a huge promotion, and they decide to pull back with Wonder Woman? It doesn't make sense, outside of Hollywood doing what they always do when a movie starring a woman or a person of color that they don't seem to actually believe in releases.

I think misunderstanding my point or misunderstanding yours. From what I gathered with the Supergirl/Wonder Woman thing isn't that they don't market it as usual. But where they can focus to pull in a larger female audience as well.

And for that you need something more than your typical superhero metrics.

All she is saying is they learned a lot (as you should from any campaign) when launching Supergirl which was the most high focal superheroine product launch in the past decade. Why not use some of those lessons with Wonder Woman?

And you see it in smaller ways... or I guess ways we don't see.

The focus on Wonder Woman's pose which they find empowering, I guess. The Wonder Woman cosplay meet-up with Patty at WonderCon. Getting the cover of a magazine like W which you wouldn't see Batman or Superman on.

Loxley

I'm loving all the dialogue in Injustice 2. Instead of one line catch phrases, they actually have conversations before the start of the fight. Like when I heard

Batman: I don't have time for this, Damian.
Damian: A good father would make time.
Batman: A better son would deserve it.

I said daaaaaaaaaamn.

Ice cold XD

Ahasverus

I'm loving all the dialogue in Injustice 2. Instead of one line catch phrases, they actually have conversations before the start of the fight. Like when I heard

Batman: I don't have time for this, Damian.
Damian: A good father would make time.
Batman: A better son would deserve it.

I said daaaaaaaaaamn.
OMG no need for a fight, that's a flawless victory already.

That's not an opinion. Me even having to defend it is weird.

I think misunderstanding my point or misunderstanding yours. From what I gathered with the Supergirl/Wonder Woman thing isn't that they don't market it as usual. But where they can focus to pull in a larger female audience as well.

And for that you need something more than your typical superhero metrics.

All she is saying is they learned a lot (as you should from any campaign) when launching Supergirl which was the most high focal superheroine product launch in the past decade. Why not use some of those lessons with Wonder Woman?

And you see it in smaller ways... or I guess ways we don't see.

The focus on Wonder Woman's pose which they find empowering, I guess. The Wonder Woman cosplay meet-up with Patty at WonderCon. Getting the cover of a magazine like W which you wouldn't see Batman or Superman on.

I can understand taking a cue here and there from it, but a minimalist approach to promoting a Wonder Woman movie doesn't make sense, no matter how they might try and defend it.

Ross61

I don't know about this everyone knows about Wonder Woman thing when there are tons of people on this forum who mention they've never heard about WW until recently. So what is the truth?!

Penguin

That's not an opinion. Me even having to defend it is weird.

I can understand taking a cue here and there from it, but a minimalist approach to promoting a Wonder Woman movie doesn't make sense, no matter how they might try and defend it.

Yeah, I think we have a fundamental disagreement on the read.
It sounds like you are applying cause and effect, Wonder Woman has had minimalist TV presence up until now because modeling after Supergirl.

My read is simply they collected data from the launch of Supergirl and have a better idea of what works and doesn't work for launching this movie to a female audience.

Maybe it's a bit diff since heard her speak and not saw an article framing the argument in such a way

https://streamable.com/zdri0

Yeah, I think we have a fundamental disagreement on the read.
It sounds like you are applying cause and effect, Wonder Woman has had minimalist TV presence up until now because modeling after Supergirl.

My read is simply they collected data from the launch of Supergirl and have a better idea of what works and doesn't work for launching this movie to a female audience.

Maybe it's a bit diff since heard her speak and not saw an article framing the argument in such a way

https://streamable.com/zdri0

That doesn't even make any sense. A movie doesn't appeal to women more because it isn't being promoted as much as a typical summer blockbuster. Women more than anyone have lead the "where is Wonder Woman's marketing?" questioning over the last few weeks. And, as I said, Wonder Woman is a superhero blockbuster. You don't just market her to women. You try and get men and kids in the theater too. There's a way to add promotional efforts to try and get women more interested, but you don't apply the less is more approach and think it's gonna fly.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about this everyone knows about Wonder Woman thing when there are tons of people on this forum who mention they've never heard about WW until recently. So what is the truth?!
Cause they're full of shit. I can't honestly believe anyone that came into that thread saying "I thought it was already out". I can only believe people that thought it was out in May or later this year (maybe). Not knowing the EXACT date is whatever, I can believe that, but thinking it was coming out NEXT year or was already out are just people trying to stroke the flames and talk in hyperbole.

Ross61

I'm almost positive WW will review solidly. I'm more concerned at the think pieces that are gonna come when they finally see the movie and think they "wasted" the Amazons.

IconGrist

People have obviously heard of Wonder Woman but who she is and her story are mostly unknown by the masses. Everyone knows about Superman, Clark Kent, Krypton, kryptonite, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, etc, etc. Everyone knows about Batman, Bruce Wayne, Wayne murders, Robin, Catwoman, Gotham, Joker, etc, etc. What the hell do the masses know about Wonder Woman besides her lasso and invisible plane?

People have obviously heard of Wonder Woman but who she is and her story are mostly unknown by the masses. Everyone knows about Superman, Clark Kent, Krypton, kryptonite, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, etc, etc. Everyone knows about Batman, Bruce Wayne, Wayne murders, Robin, Catwoman, Gotham, Joker, etc, etc. What the hell do the masses know about Wonder Woman besides her lasso and invisible plane?

I never argued otherwise. But you saying "Wonder Woman" to someone and a mental image of her popping up in their heads is still a powerful advantage that most characters don't have, regardless of how much about the character's background story they may or may not know.

Which is pretty much why I always thought DC should've had the advantage in this. Not only do they own all of their characters, three of their properties extend beyond just being comic book characters. They're deeply engraved pop culture icons. Their execution has just been shaky.

okdakor

the mass barely know wonder woman. period.

And that's talking only about the US... In France you have people around my age linking "Wonder Woman" to the old TV show they remember from their youth, and others who just have the "image" in mind, from advertising or a piece of clothing. Maybe kids, from some DC animation.
I hope the movie is good, because it's its only chance abroad, it can't count on just brand recognition.

Boke1879

If the film is solid. It's will review that way is well.

It's an origins movie and most of us have our expectations in check. A competent movie, some good action set pieces, etc.

Dr Strange as an example. Nothing was truly out of the box for that movie outside of its visuals.

Boke1879

And that's talking only about the US... In France you have people around my age linking "Wonder Woman" to the old TV show they remember from their youth, and others who just have the "image" in mind, from advertising or a piece of clothing. Maybe kids, from some DC animation.
I hope the movie is good, because it's its only chance abroad, it can't count on just brand recognition.

But again. People know who she is. She's been in media for a while. From cartoons to comics.

Of course this movie will be her first push into a much bigger crowd, but people still know who she is in some form.

No, that Flash CW suit is garbage.

Movie suit is a million times better.

I can't help finding funny how everyday there's a "Let's complain about the DCEU" topic. It has become anedoctal at this point .

With that said Ezra's mask and body fitting uniform > Oval head Grant and garbage bag uniform to me

jrush64

Banned
The movie suit is great. The TV suit is great. I personally prefer the movie suit but hey, I'm not as picky as some people here. They always have something to complain about.

Top Bottom