• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

TheExodu5 said:
Hmmm so I could just supersample myself?

Yes.

How well does supersampling work if the resolution isn't a multiple of the screen resolution? Could I, for example, use 2048*2048 internal res for my 1680*1050 output? Or should I be keeping it as a multiple?

I've tried different ratios and did not notice a difference. Above a certain point your frame rate will be limited by the GPU.

TheExodu5

Banned
Awesome. Thanks.

So, judging by the fact that PCSX2 uses SSE, I take it that the initial rendering is done mostly by the CPU...the GPU just takes care of filtering/supersampling/etc...Tested that out a bit when trying Viewtiful Joe, which wasn't quite running at 60fps, and changing the graphics rendering resolution had zero effect on performance. That means I should be able to pump up the resolution quite a bit with my GTX 275.

neoism

A guys, I have no clue how to play PS2 games on my new PC.
I really want to play FF12, I have two copies, how do I go about getting it on my computer playing from the disc. Can you just put it in and it works? I'd really like to see how good I can get that game to look!
i5 coreX4 2.6G
Redeon 5870
8G DDR3

datamage

Xavien said:
Yes, its also good to force 16:9 ratio as well. Be warned though, setting the Internal Resolution to the same as the display resolution will increase system load by quite a bit. But it shouldn't be a problem, for example i have a Q6600 @ 3Ghz and a 8800GT and i can run FFX and FFXII smoothly at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 (with Internal Resolutions to match).

You'll need to set cycle rate to 1.5x (don't use 2x, it breaks too much) and activate every speed hack except IOPx2, Min/Max and status flag. It will also help to get the r1888 beta and get at-least r2150 of the GSDX plugin (google it) (as this fixes the flickering issues in numerous games and flickering FMV's in FFXII).

Finally, force AFx16 and MSAAx2 (with transparency AA) in your ATI/Nvidia control panel for the emulator and you'll have incredible quality graphics up there with the best screenshots in this thread at 50/60fps (depending on region).

It also helps with loading if you rip your games to the HDD and play them as ISO's on the Emulator.

Can someone share r2150 of the GSDX plugin? Perhaps my googling skills are lacking due to sleep deprivation.

TheExodu5

Banned
neoism said:
A guys, I have no clue how to play PS2 games on my new PC.
I really want to play FF12, I have two copies, how do I go about getting it on my computer playing from the disc. Can you just put it in and it works? I'd really like to see how good I can get that game to look!
i5 coreX4 2.6G
Redeon 5870
8G DDR3

Best to run it off an ISO. Download ImgBurn:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Quick and easy to use. Creates an ISO that works fine with PCSX2. Got that recommendation from the GAF Wii Homebrew Wiki.

You can play from the disc if you download a plugin that will let you do so, but I've always found that with FMVs and the like, discs are a no go on the PC (speaking from experience outside of PCSX2 though).

TheExodu5

Banned
God damn Persona 4 looks hot.

Running at 3200x3200 internal resolution. Outputting at 1600*900 (windowed). :lol

persona4.png

Or 4:3 if you prefer:

p4_43.png

Chris R

I gave up on trying to get Xenosaga Episode 1 to work, going to see if DQVIII or MGS3 or FFXII are playable on my system now.

looking at these screenshots makes me feel sad cause i fear we'll never play japanese games again since they all suck now unless you want to wear panties and play a ds or something

TheExodu5

Banned
Found the perfect settings for me as far as IQ goes.

1600x900
4:3 (or 16:9 if the game supports widescreen)
Internal res: 2400x1800 (because this would be 2x2 supersampling for a 1200*900 window)

Seems to produce near pristine IQ...even better than my 3200x3200 setting. Here's a shot:

p4_great_settings.png

I'm running in a 1600x900 window just because it's the right height. Persona 4 is being run in 4:3 since it doesn't support widescreen.

Bebpo

Banned
Eh, the models are good in that P4 pic but there's so many 2d low-res textures everywhere that the overall picture is bad imo

*edit, meant the pic outside. The house one looks a lot better.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bebpo said:
Eh, the models are good in that P4 pic but there's so many 2d low-res textures everywhere that the overall picture is bad imo

*edit, meant the pic outside. The house one looks a lot better.

Yeah, for sure. Closeups like that are quite rare though. I should have posted a better shot in the first place.

Dash

Does anyone know how PCSX2 runs on an AMD 955 vs. an Intel i5-750? I was originally going to go i5 as I heard it's much better for PCSX2 and Dolphin, but I can save almost $150 CAD by going AMD. As such, I'd much prefer to go AMD, but if it runs emulated games at half the frame-rate as the i5, I'll have to pass. So anyone with an AMD care to share your experience with the emulators ?

Bebpo

Banned
Does your bios have to match the region of your game? My PS2 collection is 99% JP titles and I want to see how they look on this.

Bebpo

Banned
luka said:
And now for something completely different...
Mushihimesama at 1080p running in tate mode on my 32" lcd. A significantly flawed port suffering from blurriness and interlacing is cured of all visual shortcomings. :D

rsr0wo.jpg

28webdf.jpg

143g6f5.jpg

14vpo5c.jpg

xlmm4m.jpg

Not doing well at all, but it's hard to take cool looking screens while trying for a high score. ;)

How do you get it to look sharp and pixely like this? I tried and it still looks assy like the PS2 game.

This is what it looks like on mine (and it runs choppy despite saying 60fps)
mushishishi.jpg
:( Looks like the PS2 version

I run my PCSX2 different than most people since I have an HTPC and can display the game on my CRT.

I always use Direct3D9 Hardware, Resolution @ 640x480p, then run the internal resolution @ 1280x960p or double to triple the actual games resolution which is usually a multiple of 512x448.

MNC

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I run my PCSX2 different than most people since I have an HTPC and can display the game on my CRT.

I always use Direct3D9 Hardware, Resolution @ 640x480p, then run the internal resolution @ 1280x960p or double to triple the actual games resolution which is usually a multiple of 512x448.
HT= Hyperthreading right? I tried that once... The framerate is quite horrid :lol

No-one has risen to supply me with the wonderment of what Zone of the Enders 2 will look like at this HD quality.

Which is a crime I will have each and everyone of you convicted of and hunted down for until you do so >:|

Dash

xemumanic said:
Go Intel.

I've played emulators for a LONG damn time, and Intel > AMD as far as emulators are concerned.

Thanks. I've heard similar things from others, so I think I'll just pay the Intel premium to get a better PCSX2 experience

SOLDIER

FFX is the one game that I've gotten to run almost flawlessly. The only issue I've had is that on two occasions, the game would slow to a crawl when one of the following effects were activated.

The first boss's Demi spell.

The explosion from Rikku's grenade.

Any idea how to fix this, or is this a lack of CPU power?

Also, is r1888 still the best build, or was something better released?

ArjanN

SOLDIER said:
FFX is the one game that I've gotten to run almost flawlessly. The only issue I've had is that on two occasions, the game would slow to a crawl when one of the following effects were activated.

The first boss's Demi spell.

The explosion from Rikku's grenade.

Any idea how to fix this, or is this a lack of CPU power?

Also, is r1888 still the best build, or was something better released?

I think the newer releases break a bunch of things in order to inplement a new GUI and other stuff. So IMO you're better off waiting 'til a more stable release.

theox2g6

Neo Member
Sanjay said:
I'm running Pcsx2 0.9.7.r2283, I can get it running but I can't get it locked down at 60FPS no matter what I do. Anything I can try to get it running like the video you posted?

My PC Specs
E8400 @ 3.8ghz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 260 216 Core, Windows 7 64 bit OS.
Speed hacks, GSDx 1076m gives a significant performance boost due to fog and some post processing effects turned off, Turn on Interlacing 1/2 fps which makes lower framerates seem smoother, Priority high from Task Manager, that's all I can think of. And actually it runs locked at 60 fps in realtime but it isn't always smooth because of the speed hacks. Instead of slow down, it just lags or hitches on rare occasions like every other game on pc. It just so happens that the Hades Boss Battle runs very well.

mr_nothin

Banned
I have an AMD Phenom II 810 (quad) @ 2.60ghz and I cant seem to run any of the "full-speed" games at....well full speed. FFXII will not run consistently. Is the phenom just not enough juice? I cant overclock right now since I just swapped the insides of my old pc with my friend to get a Quad + DDR3 so its an HP (will upgrade the motherboard soon though).

Any tips?
I've even tried the maetel version. Oh and it also says 60fps but it's chugging. What's with that?

Oh and this is at "native" resolution. It should be running much better right? Pcsx2 is more dependant on the CPU right?

datamage

mr_nothin said:
I have an AMD Phenom II 810 (quad) @ 2.60ghz and I cant seem to run any of the "full-speed" games at....well full speed. FFXII will not run consistently. Is the phenom just not enough juice? I cant overclock right now since I just swapped the insides of my old pc with my friend to get a Quad + DDR3 so its an HP (will upgrade the motherboard soon though).

Any tips?
I've even tried the maetel version. Oh and it also says 60fps but it's chugging. What's with that?

Oh and this is at "native" resolution. It should be running much better right? Pcsx2 is more dependant on the CPU right?

That's odd, I'm sporting a C2D @ 3.3 GHz, and FFXII runs flawless for me. (1080p internal) With a GTX 275, if relevant.

I'm using pcsx2 r1888 with GSDX r2150- running in DX10.

mr_nothin

Banned
datamage said:
That's odd, I'm sporting a C2D @ 3.3 GHz, and FFXII runs flawless for me. (1080p internal) With a GTX 275, if relevant.

I'm using pcsx2 r1888 with GSDX r2150- running in DX10.
Well maybe it's because I still have the integrated graphics on there :lol
I just thought it was more CPU dependant. Even though it's integrated, it's the best damn integrated card out. ATI 4200 HD sir!

I thought that should have been good enough :/

mr_nothin said:
Well maybe it's because I still have the integrated graphics on there :lol
I just thought it was more CPU dependant. Even though it's integrated, it's the best damn integrated card out. ATI 4200 HD sir!

I thought that should have been good enough :/

I'm sorry but "integrated" is like auto-fail. :(

mr_nothin

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I'm sorry but "integrated" is like auto-fail. :(
Yea, I thought so.

But i cant find the GSDX r2150 anywhere. you sure it's 2150? highest i see is 1873..even for the beta plugins. Also, I cant find any windows 7 64bit dual shock 3 drivers. Tried like 2 and they didnt work.

I'm playing FFXII right now and it stays around 60-90fps. But it slows down even though it never drops below 60fps. It's weird. I didnt have this problem on my last motherboard and that had integrated graphics too (ati 3200 hd).

rbenchley

mr_nothin said:

Any tips?

Until you can overclock your CPU, you're not going to be running anything full speed. When you have a chance, get a nice Gigabyte motherboard and a decent HSF and you should be able to push the clock speed to around 3.5ghz. Also, get a better video card. PCSX2 and Dolphin are more CPU dependent, but you can still benefit.

SOLDIER

I have a personal favor to ask. I'm going to be posting my specs, which are found here:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP35-DS3L
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.54 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.37 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB

I was thinking of asking for some upgrades for Christmas, and I wanted to ask for your recommendations on what I should upgrade to, and what the most affordable option is. Should I get a new CPU, GPU, both, etc, and what would I need in order to run this emulator along with Dolphin at a much more improved rate?

The closest game I can run almost 100% is Final Fantasy X. The only issues I have with that game is some slowdown during spells like Yuna's summoning or Rikku's grenades, and some missing textures like one of Tidus' hair bangs and Wakka's shoulder pads.

I potentially want to run the games on 1920x1080, fullscreen on my TV.

So please tell me which components I should upgrade to. In return, a gorgeous FFX shot.

ffxy.jpg

rbenchley

SOLDIER said:
I have a personal favor to ask. I'm going to be posting my specs, which are found here:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP35-DS3L
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.54 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.37 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB

I was thinking of asking for some upgrades for Christmas, and I wanted to ask for your recommendations on what I should upgrade to, and what the most affordable option is. Should I get a new CPU, GPU, both, etc, and what would I need in order to run this emulator along with Dolphin at a much more improved rate?

The closest game I can run almost 100% is Final Fantasy X. The only issues I have with that game is some slowdown during spells like Yuna's summoning or Rikku's grenades, and some missing textures like one of Tidus' hair bangs and Wakka's shoulder pads.

I potentially want to run the games on 1920x1080, fullscreen on my TV.

So please tell me which components I should upgrade to.
You might be able to squeeze extra performance out of your current setup by overclocking your CPU. The E8400 can be overclocked fairly easily to 3.6ghz and some people have had pretty good results pushing it to 4ghz. PCSX2 and Dolphin are dependent on high CPU clock speeds for performance, so I would get some good thermal paste and a good HSF and see if an overclocked E8400 gives you gives you the speed increase you're looking for. Also, even though PCSX2 mostly depends on CPU, you do need a decent video card, although it doesn't have to be anything amazing. An 8000 series Nvidia or ATI HD 4000 series GPU will do nicely.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
rbenchley said:
You might be able to squeeze extra performance out of your current setup by overclocking your CPU. The E8400 can be overclocked fairly easily to 3.6ghz and some people have had pretty good results pushing it to 4ghz. PCSX2 and Dolphin are dependent on high CPU clock speeds for performance, so I would get some good thermal paste and a good HSF and see if an overclocked E8400 gives you gives you the speed increase you're looking for. Also, even though PCSX2 mostly depends on CPU, you do need a decent video card, although it doesn't have to be anything amazing. An 8000 series Nvidia or ATI HD 4000 series GPU will do nicely.

Yep. As far as emulation goes, the cpu is the most important thing. I have the same overclock at 400 MHz fsb x 9 at 1.38 vcore (don't go higher than 1.4 on the e8400). No emulators really support more than 2 cores so that's probably the best you can do outside of getting an i7.

SOLDIER

I've never tried overclocking because I was afraid of potentially damaging my PC, but my CPU does have a large fan on top of it including paste, so if it's simple enough I'd be willing to try it.

I have no idea how to do something like that, though.

What about my video card? Is that worth an upgrade?

rbenchley

SOLDIER said:
I've never tried overclocking because I was afraid of potentially damaging my PC, but my CPU does have a large fan on top of it including paste, so if it's simple enough I'd be willing to try it.

Overclocking isn't difficult and there many guides to overclocking the E8400 that you can find via Google and sites like Tom's Hardware, Extreme Overclocking, etc. If you decide to go for the overclock, be sure to download SpeedFan (measures voltage, temperature and fan speed) to make sure that you CPU isn't getting too hot (your CPU shouldn't be more than 65 C under full load, probably quite a bit cooler) and a program like OCCT to test the stability of the system at full load. When you overclock, do it in small increments, measure the temperatures at idle and during a full load. If everything seems stable, you can push it a bit further. Realistically, 3.6ghz is probably the sweet spot where you don't have to worry about the CPU running too hot. It's a nice 20% over stock and PCSX2 should perk up quite a bit. As for the video card, what do you have right now? A better video card can help, but it will be minimal compared to overclocking your CPU.

hmm, is the i5/i7 really that much better than a Phenom II X4 955? I thought that with respect to games their performances were very similar. I'm looking to build a new rig and I seem to have all of my parts down, but if the difference is big enough en an extra $40 won't hurt.

TheExodu5

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Yea, I thought so.

But i cant find the GSDX r2150 anywhere. you sure it's 2150? highest i see is 1873..even for the beta plugins. Also, I cant find any windows 7 64bit dual shock 3 drivers. Tried like 2 and they didnt work.

I'm playing FFXII right now and it stays around 60-90fps. But it slows down even though it never drops below 60fps. It's weird. I didnt have this problem on my last motherboard and that had integrated graphics too (ati 3200 hd).

The 60fps counter is just the PS2 emulation speed, not your graphic card's rendering rate. If you run FRAPS, you'll see your framerate will likely be much lower.

The good new is that if you get a better card, your CPU is running the game at full speed so you won't be bottlenecked.

SOLDIER said:

From what I've seen, the video card is really only going to effect what internal resolution you can run your games at. If you're getting full CPU speed, and you're fine with your resolution, then the 8800GT is lots. It should be able to do 1080p or at least 1680*1050 just fine, I'd think.

I have a GTX 275, and it mostly allows me to run at 1600*1800 internal res (running in a 1600*900 window). I can actually run up to 3200*3200 much of the time, but I've found a few situations that gave me a bit more slowdown. Mainly, you're supersampling when you're running at such a high resolution, so you're going to get very good image quality.

If you're fine with your current IQ, then you don't need to bother upgrading the card.

SOLDIER

Okay, so the CPU seems to be the primary target.

Could I get some idiot-proof links on how to overclock my CPU? I also seem to recall that the CPU came with official overclocking software. Should I use that instead?

If it turns out I'm not comfortable with trying out overclocking, what's the next step in CPUs? Would it be the I7 that people have mentioned?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
SOLDIER said:

Could I get some idiot-proof links on how to overclock my CPU? I also seem to recall that the CPU came with official overclocking software. Should I use that instead?

If it turns out I'm not comfortable with trying out overclocking, what's the next step in CPUs? Would it be the I7 that people have mentioned?
i7 or i5, i5 is basically a capped version of the former without HT, so it's still quad core, but of course the emu just benefits from two right now. I actually have an e8400, I haven't had too many problems with it actually, except when games are themselves not 100% compatible (which is most of them).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
SOLDIER said:

Basically all overclocking is done in your motherboard's BIOS which you access using POST at startup (usually it tells you to hit DEL or F2 or whatever to enter setup). Different motherboards/chipsets have different BIOS's so it's difficult to give you an idiot-proof step by step, but the thing you're looking for is the same. Just navigate around until you find it.

The two factors that determine CPU speed is the Host Frequency (or Front Side Bus) and clock ratio (or multiplier). Basically you want to make sure the multiplier is set to 9x and the FSB is at 400MHz. 400 x 9 = 3600MHz, or 3.6GHz. Afterwards you want to find the voltage controls and find the CPU voltage or Vcore. It's a bit different for every chip. Start low around 1.32v then if programs start crashing or the OS won't boot go back and increase the vcore some more. Mine is currently at 1.38v. Do not go above 1.4v.

However, a lot of motherboards don't report voltage properly so the power that is actually going to your cpu might by higher or lower than needed. Use SpeedFan to find out what voltage it's actually getting. Again, never go higher than 1.4 vcore on this chip because it could damage it in the long run. You shouldn't have to touch the RAM timings. It should automatically adjust the values to match the FSB. Leave everything but the 3 variables mentioned at auto.

Once it's reporting the proper clock speed and voltage, run some cpu stress tools like ORTHOS to test stability. If it crashes its either overheating or not getting enough juice. Sometimes you're unlucky and the chip is simply a bad overclocker. All chips have slightly different tolerances. All E8400s should handle 400x9 easily, so if it's crashing, give it a little more power and try again. Other intensive programs like games and movie players will also crash if the cpu doesn't have enough power, or the OS might just blue screen. This can also happen if the overclock is too high for your cpu or ram to handle. My e8400 needs way more power than is safe for the chip to go over 3.8, but some people are able to pass that and hit 4GHz stable while still under 1.4v.

It's not that difficult or risky as long as you don't start cranking your voltages way up without thinking. If you think you changed the wrong value and aren't sure what it was just exit and restart without saving the changes.

SOLDIER

Yeah, it was the motherboard that came with the overclocking software, not the cpu, my mistake.

So would the official software suffice, or am I better off downloading one of the ones you mentioned?

I'm still a bit leary of trying the overclocking due to the possibility of me messing up somewhere, so I have a few questions about the i7.

1. Would I still need to overclock it to achieve good results?

2. Is it easier to overclock it vs my current chip?

3. What's the cheapest place to get an i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom