• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

sasuke_91

Shame the stream was 80% waiting in the lobby, because from what I saw from the matches it was really good. Tons of characters played on high level. Really cool.

Don't worry Sasuke, later events will go better, I'm sure.

There were some of the best European players playing in the tournament. Ice_Beam's team won in the end I think. It was at 4 AM though and I was already sleeping.

To be honest, participating in this tournament showed us that we still got a lot to work on and what we have to improve on. We weren't the worst team, but some of those players just overwhelmed us.
My friends jokingly gave me the nickname "Eternal Warrior" some time ago because I haven't left that rank since reaching it an eternity ago. We called ourselves "Eternal Yellow Ranks" because none of us ever managed to leave the yellow ranks. Most of the players in this tournament were red ranks and higher (a lot higher).

Sorry to hear your tournament experience wasn't as positive as you were hoping Sasuke. Hope the participation was still worth it!

Nah, it was still good. We got to play a bunch of high level players and it was fun! The chaos came from people not answering or reading the rules.
I talked to the organizers on Twitch while playing. They were a little overloaded the whole time. It was their first Online tournament and it was very hard to keep track of everything. You can't expect them to do everything right the first time, which is why I said earlier that NinthPixel has my respect for being able to manage such a thing. They had the stream running though and Funky_Button did a very solid job commentating, so I can't complain.
I might record one or two matches later and upload them.

The European Tekken scene is still alive and kicking though! I hope this is going to show us what we can expect to see once Tekken 7 drops :D

GrayFoxPL

Wow the PSX show was bad ass!

Yakuza Kiwami and 6 coming to the west!

Sega still loves us.
IVXx9f8.gif

Crash Bandicoot!

Ace Combat 7!

TLOU2!

Let It Die out now!

Garou! Windjammers! Mother Russia Bleeds!

Sweet, sweet stuff!

RE7 still dry as fuck for me, like 0 hype, shame.

qCSlRdE.gif

Tomorrow I'm diving into Let it die!

Harada's it's Capcom's turn will never not upset me. It's ALWAYS Capcom's turn. Why does Harada give a fuck about releasing a game that conflicts with Capcom when Capcom doesn't give two shits about Namco's release schedule?

Sayah

That was an amazing conference. I am very excited for MvC Infinite!!!! And I'll probably be buying UMVC3 if it has good netcode now.

And lol @ namco. They'll relegate new Tekken 7 news to a stream that maybe max ten thousand people are watching vs. an event that hundreds of thousands are watching. I'll see if namco has anything this month that can pull me to support but otherwise I'm just about done following Tekken 7 altogether.

GrayFoxPL

Harada's it's Capcom's turn will never not upset me. It's ALWAYS Capcom's turn. Why does Harada give a fuck about releasing a game that conflicts with Capcom when Capcom doesn't give two shits about Namco's release schedule?

Harada doesn't want to rival Capcom. He likes to be in that "Ono's poor buddy" position. Capcom and Ono can dance circles around him.

He stopped giving a fuck about the franchise long time ago, imo.

sasuke_91

Damn I missed PSX. Sounds like it was an awesome conference.

Is Crash a Remaster or a Remake? Can't watch any videos right now on mobile.

It's really weird to me too, it has been annoying for quite awhile.

Rajang

That conference was incredible.

- Wipeout collection in 4k
- Ni-Oh
- TLOU2 !

Damn girl.

You guys expected T7 news? A week before globals? Bruh..

lol

GrayFoxPL

So does Tekken with people who don't know how to play.

Animations are slow. My first real fighting game was International Karate with slow "distinct" moves, but still faster then this.

I'm guessing since this is some mmo hybrid, they need to have moves starting from ~25+ frames so that people from Alaska can play ppl from Saudi Arabia.

Doesn't look bad, just sleep inducing.

GrayFoxPL

I saw Nioh advertised a few times. But I take it the release date wasn't announced today?

Anyway, I've never been a big fan of Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but I did love me some Ninja Gaiden(and Tenchu, and the Shinobi remake, separately). For some reason this appeals to me, even though it's not a direct clone of any of those games.

Too bad it's slated for release right around T7 as well. Ugh.

Nioh disappointing me a little with the second beta demo. It was faster, more arcadey/mashy and they removed the sword degradation after stupid complains. Meh.

Totally loved the first Alpha demo.

Still gonna buy it, just hope the final game has not become just some crazy romp.

Rajang

Nioh disappointing me a little with the second beta demo. It was faster, more arcadey/mashy and they removed the sword degradation after stupid complains. Meh.

Totally loved the first Alpha demo.

Still gonna buy it, just hope the final game has not become just some crazy romp.

Same, I loved the Alpha more than the Beta.

One big reason for me was that you could get KI back by switching to low stance, by timing the KI pulse. Made dashing around easier and made the combat far more dynamic. They removed the KI pulse-low stance in the Beta. :(

So Akuma in SF5 will be released December 20th.

Waaay before Tekken 7. Where's that release date, anyway?

Great. Just great. =|

Edit: Good conference though. Marvel sounds promising. And Wipeout! Ace Combat will probably be good whenever it comes out.

sasuke_91

I don't like Akuma coming back to SF before Tekken even gets a release date for consoles.

As I promised, here are some of the matches from yesterday's tournament:

Me vs Nemouik
Casuals with JustSirDanN

My match against Arsenalty wasn't worth showing, but I pulled off this JFSR combo that I liked a bit :p

I lost all of those matches. Not because I was playing so bad. I was nervous of course, but things worked pretty well this time compared to the way I play in Ranked battles for example. My opponents were just so much better than me. Also, me being unfamiliar with bears... I fell for the same tech trap twice though, so that's not really an excuse.

sasuke_91

I saw you tried to sidestep that Bear unblockable at the end, I'll say I've never been able to do it myself
I don't think you can step it. When my opponent doesn't finish a combo I assume he dropped it and tech roll immediately. Shouldn't do that against bears...

GrayFoxPL

Only Practice always loved trolling (or isn't this about him being a troll?).

Guys I am happy. Both FF XV and The Last Guardian seem to have actually delivered. Can't wait to play both of them.

It is. I mean, no, it's about Lars.

I lost the hype for FFXV after all those years of waiting. The prequel movie was really weak, so that didn't help.

Gonna get TLG first. Kinda more in the mood for that. I don't have energy lately for action packed games.

AAK

I am SOOOO mad that Last Guardian performs like such junk on the PS4Scrub.

Man, do I regret not jumping on the trade in deals for the PS4Pro when it first launched....

AAK

Yeah, I still have my TLG preorder from years ago back when games were $60 in Canada, not $85. It's supposed to be coming this Wednesday.

sasuke_91

I am SOOOO mad that Last Guardian performs like such junk on the PS4Scrub.

Man, do I regret not jumping on the trade in deals for the PS4Pro when it first launched....

I didn't notice bad framerate in SotC back when I played it on PS2 (it's a very long time ago) and probably won't really mind in TLG either. 20-30 fps is pretty bad though.

I actually wanted to jump on the Gamestop trade-in deal, but the PS4 Pros were sold out everywhere, so I gave up after some time.

Onemic

I didn't notice bad framerate in SotC back when I played it on PS2 (it's a very long time ago) and probably won't really mind in TLG either. 20-30 fps is pretty bad though.

I actually wanted to jump on the Gamestop trade-in deal, but the PS4 Pros were sold out everywhere, so I gave up after some time.

Im the same way, though I;d probably notice it more in TLG because Im more sensitive to frame drops than before. Even then, I really think the framerate problems were overstated in that game, at least vs other 30fps PS2 games of the time.

Yeah, I still have my TLG preorder from years ago back when games were $60 in Canada, not $85. It's supposed to be coming this Wednesday.

It's out tomorrow. Luckily I have Amazon Prime so all new releases are $63 for me. As close to those $60 years as we're gonna get

Sayah

It just hit me that it's been over 2 years since we first saw Tekken 7 in action.

Lol..

We saw a CG trailer at EVO 2014 in July. First gameplay footage/location tests four months later in November 2014. The game has since been featured not once but twice at EVO as a main tournament game despite like 95% of the fans not having full-time access to the game. This is the front and center reason why I have lost the will to continue being a passionate Tekken fan. They learned absolutely nothing from Tekken 6. That game had to be price dropped instantly after releasing because it had a similar 2 year wait and people stopped caring by that point.

Meanwhile at Capcom, MvC Infinite had a CG and gameplay trailer within the same day and is set to release within a couple months, not years. I'm almost over Tekken and going to instead be following MvC:I, which is more likely to not have frustrating anticipation.

Detsuken

Sayah;

Look, I could not agree more. I used to be the hardest of the hardcore when it came to Tekken. But Namco's utter disdain of their fanbase, in their bottomless greed to extract EVERY last cent from arcade goers in Korea and Japan, has made me give up on the series. And looking at Tag 2s sales, I can't say I'm the only one. Tekken 6s ridiculous wait you've already mentioned.

This backwards focus on the arcades is just pathetic this day in age - and I started my gaming life in an arcade, so it's not like I ever wanted them to die - but things move on. Namco obviously sees things differently, thankfully there are many other fighting games to play, and Tekken isn't what it was anyway in terms of gameplay and innovation. Piss off Namco, Tekken and Harada.

Sayah;

Look, I could not agree more. I used to be the hardest of the hardcore when it came to Tekken. But Namco's utter disdain of their fanbase, in their bottomless greed to extract EVERY last cent from arcade goers in Korea and Japan, has made me give up on the series. And looking at Tag 2s sales, I can't say I'm the only one. Tekken 6s ridiculous wait you've already mentioned.

This backwards focus on the arcades is just pathetic this day in age - and I started my gaming life in an arcade, so it's not like I ever wanted them to die - but things move on. Namco obviously sees things differently, thankfully there are many other fighting games to play, and Tekken isn't what it was anyway in terms of gameplay and innovation. Piss off Namco, Tekken and Harada.

I don't think there are solid numbers and data on how good the game does in arcades versus the console releases, but we've been led to believe that arcades still make money for Namco and releasing the game on consoles will hurt their business.

sasuke_91

Low framerate is part of the charm of the series.

Hahaha kind of true.

Im the same way, though I;d probably notice it more in TLG because Im more sensitive to frame drops than before. Even then, I really think the framerate problems were overstated in that game, at least vs other 30fps PS2 games of the time.

I'm also more sensitive to frame drops, but saying that a game "runs like a slide show" is such an exaggeration.
Everyone knows that the only game where this is true would be Skyrim on the PS3.

Detsuken

Have a Nice Day;

Of course it makes them huge money in the arcade. But here's the rub. They claim releasing at home too soon would damage their arcade profits. They cite the example of Tekken 5, which they say hurt their arcade income, thus the quick release of 5.1 and DR soon after the PS2 version. But Tekken isn't just a game that sells in Japan and Korea. I mean, look at this here, from September 2013:

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013...ada-says-tekken-425-million-copies-sold-date/

That's 20 million sales, out of 42.5 million total, in Europe alone. How about the U.S.? How about all the other countries that are not Japan and Korea? How many out of 42.5 million do you think it comes out to then?

Now it should be VERY clear why many, many Tekken fans are angry. Because Namco's attitude is nothing short of being dismissive of the majority of their fanbase. Let's look at Tekken 7/FR. Since release they've only been available in Korea/Japan. How much would it really hurt them to release this game at home in other territories? If they are so concerned about losing arcade income - then release the home versions LATER in Japan and Korea. After all, the players there already have the arcade machines to play on if they want to, don't they? Beside the obvious fact that those countries have had the arcade machines an eternity before the home release anyway.

This entire Tekken debacle is a case of Namco being supremely arrogant and disdainful of most of their Tekken fanbase. There is NO way to justify this. What amazes me is those that are shitted upon continuously, and yet still support this series.

AAK

releasing the game on consoles will hurt their business.

Not if they release a FTP Tekken Revolution styled model on Steam /PSN /XBL of Tekken 7 where they can monetize the amount people play while making it region locked to Europe/NA/SA/South Asia/Middle East. And whenever they have the single player content finished they can release it as a full priced game on store shelves as the complete version for casuals.

That way they still make their money off Japan /Korea arcades and allow the rest of the world that cares to still pay and enjoy their product.

But Namco's gonna Namco.

lupinko

I'm taking a last minute trip for Global King of Iron Fist so it's going to be very tight. Visitors can come in from 8:30 to 9:25.

My night bus gets to Yokohama at 6am so I'll just go to the venue direct. There's a 400 person limit at the venue.

It's brutal, this might suck if I go and I can't get in.

Any gaffers going? I think Markman is going to be there?

Sayah

Sayah;

Tekken 7 is really just a repackaged Tekken 6 so I'm most definitely not going to disagree with you that there's lacking gameplay innovation. When Tekken 6 PSP mods are already easily replicating the core combos in Tekken 7, you know that to be true. Tag 2 already maximized the existing gameplay system and Tekken 7 really just needed to be a reinvention of the entire system. Namco clearly did not divert enough effort towards that, probably because they have/had Tekken project working on a shitload of other games (Pokkén, summer lesson, smash, lost reavers, etc.) Why the eff are they working on all this other shit when they can't even get their core game right?

At the end of the day, though, I can even tolerate that Tekken 7 is just Tekken 6 with worse character designs and more egregiously hideous customs but the wait is whats intolerable. And then they expect fans to stay positive in the face of all of this.

Top Bottom