• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Memes you're getting tired of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasae

Banned
Nekofrog said:
Some memes are funny. Some memes are stupid. Some memes should never have been a meme in the first place. Some memes never get old, some lose appeal after time.

You have read the word meme seven times now.

What meme(s) do you want to see never used again?

Myself, I am tired of "my body is ready" meme and any variant of it (not ready, etc).

"You are already dead" meme is still good, but sometimes people use it in inappropriate threads (ie no relevance) and it gets closer and closer to wearing out its meme-appeal.

By the way, ten memes now. Oops, eleven.
tUto9.png

Ahem...

BY2K

Membero Americo
Captain Pants said:
Definitely 'My body is ready'. Shit is played out.

Oh please. My body is Ready DEFINES GAF.

The only thing bad about that meme is that a lot of people don't know where it comes from.

I don't usually care about these things. But the derp meme is just lame.

It's up there with Umad for not ever adding anything to a conversation/thread.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
"DAT __________"

I saw people use it so much during E3 I wanted to punch them through the Internet.

I'm generally indifferent to the memes themselves. The problem I have is people use them lazily instead of at least attempting to be a lot more creative. It also depends on the situation. I don't mind people using memes in less serious threads or replies to posts that are clearly stupid/trolling/really weird, but not so much with the more serious threads.

The ones that always irritate me however are the ones that stereotype a certain group of people, no matter who they are [LOL JAPAN or the MEANWHILE IN _____ are examples of this]. But that's usually because I rarely find stereotype jokes funny because most of the time the people saying it come off less as witty and more trying to hide their biases by trying to be funny. Or if they're not biased, they come off like that, and that's not good.

Trolling is another one I find irritating, mostly because it's used in situations where it wouldn't make sense to troll someone, making them sound like some sort of conspiracy theorist. No, random video game company are not out to troll you specifically just because they have yet to release one game. Or calling someone a troll just because they don't agree with you or have not-so-popular opinions, though this is where things get a little sticky since the line between being genuine and trolling can get easily blurred.

One that involves a certain person and what they have done whether who they are [M. Night for example tends to be used not because he's an Indian-American but because his films are known to have twists that may or may not make sense] I don't have issue with, as long as it's not completely inappropriate.

I do like how in GAF someone will post some random GIF that captures their thought on a post more than words could ever do.

I will add the CSI one though. Then again, it's only the YEEEEAAH thing I hate... which kinda is the point of the entire meme but eh.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Honestly? The only meme I've seen around GAF that I'm actually tired of or bothered by is "fail".

That is merely because fail has become internet shorthand for being proud of ignorance. "I don't get this thing/person/idea and don't like it, so I say it FAILS." Fails... what? A written and/or oral examine? Being weighed and metered? Failed to secure a jelly donut at a cop convention?

Otherwise, oddly, I am not bothered by any or most memes. Perhaps it's that internet meme as a subject is still new and unexplored. We don't actually know that much about the parameters of the concept, even just as a form of comedy. So it's interesting to see it evolve and assimilate discoveries.

But then for all some folks have expressed displeasure at *any* memes whatsoever, they need to realize that if we're talking about just GAF at least, GAF is far more responsible in meme-usage that many places on the net. Sure, people may post memes, but even the same people who do, contribute as much, or more, actual conversation and content.

Being sour about memes, in that context, seems a bit spoilsport. Most here actually take the time to say intelligent and interesting things. Let them have their fun.

None that I can think of. I don't really get sick of memes but I will get sick of people using them badly. Someone saying they have a cough and the reply being "You're already dead" isn't clever, while the one yesterday that combined it with the plane meme was amazing. It's all about how it's used.

Murkas

One's that get spammed to fuck like "you are already dead." My body is ready is only funny if the Reggie pic is with it.

Phrases like U Mad? and haters gonna hate I still don't have that much of a problem with, troll/rage/all other comic faces aswell. I at least get a few laughs out of them.

I was shocked that there are people who still find RickRollin and Chuck Norris facts funny, it's been fucking YEARS. Let them die.

If I don't see them that often, I won't have a problem with it. It's the spamming it in all threads/message boards I get tired of. Especially if they are used wrong.

y2dvd

Forever Alone cannot die for me. I'm at a con at the moment. Elevators were always hella crowded so they got volunteers allowing only 9 at a time. Most people were in groups and the elevator were at 8. The volunteer ask if anyone solo wants to take the last spot. This pouty dude with a big head steps up and walks in. I fuckin shouted "FOREVER ALONE!" which got a good laugh lol.

You are already dead is hilarious when used correctly (and sparingly!!!) but it's unfortunately become glaringly obvious that 90% of GAF has no idea how to correctly use it, and every incorrect use just makes me groan harder.

MetalAlien

Banned
Only pictures that bother me are the ones you can't scroll past fast enough. Lotus/botfly for example. Memes don't bother me, used properly or not.

Air

Banned
herp, derp, or any of the variants. Its not that I'm tired of them, but I hear people say it in person, and it sounds dumb. I wish it would stay on the internet.

NGAMER9

y2dvd said:
Forever Alone cannot die for me. I'm at a con at the moment. Elevators were always hella crowded so they got volunteers allowing only 9 at a time. Most people were in groups and the elevator were at 8. The volunteer ask if anyone solo wants to take the last spot. This pouty dude with a big head steps up and walks in. I fuckin shouted "FOREVER ALONE!" which got a good laugh lol.
Wow, dick move.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
BY2K said:
Oh please. My body is Ready DEFINES GAF.

The only thing bad about that meme is that a lot of people don't know where it comes from.

Once in a while is fine, but so many threads leading up to E3 had way too many people saying it over and over. It loses any comedic value when you've got dozens of people saying it one thread.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
If used correctly they can bring epic, but sadly after the first time i see most i'm sick of them from there on out.

Angry Fork

123rl said:
I'll never get tired of Troll Face/Troll Dad/Troll Science.

trollracingp1.gif
Couldn't stop laughing. I love shit like this. If anyone else has these images on real videos i'd love to see gifs of them. I never get tired of the 4chan troll face kind of stuff, ever.

The one thing that does make me smh now is when someone says anything relating to their "wallet" whenever a plethora of games comes out in a certain period of time, or Steam deals or something. They'll see "wallet am cry" or something of those lines. It's so old now. My body is ready is definitely done as well but it doesn't bother me.

I love meme's in general, I don't really get tired of any of them. Some of them are used more than others but it's not that big of a deal. The trollface/Y U NO/ etc. kind of faces are definitely the best though imo.

edit - Found one I saved a while back.
WYGlX.gif

Whogie

NeoGAF isn't guilty of this, but I hate it when I see "good sir." Memes don't really annoy me, but that's a strong exception.

Love a good "you're already dead," though.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
most of the memes i hate are gaming related.

i hate that whole wallet am cry shit, cake is a lie, dudebro, etc. etc.

everything else that's random and weird is hilarious to me tho.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I hate the fighting game sayings ones. Calling people salty and eluding to chips or pringles for block damage is stupid.

Really just the salty one because it sounds so stupid.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sp3eD said:
I hate the fighting game sayings ones. Calling people salty and eluding to chips or pringles for block damage is stupid.

Really just the salty one because it sounds so stupid.

Is that what that is from?

We use the word "salty" all the time in NFL-GAF to basically describe people getting defensive and angry because they're drowning in their salty tears when their team loses.

I like pretty much most memes. I still laugh at a well timed "you're the man now dog". The nice thing about old memes is when they finally do come back around, it's funny again sometimes.

It's when I start hearing people use it in everyday conversation that it becomes terrible. Some people's entire vocabulary and sense of humor in the real world is basically just repeating internet memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom