• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

Crash331

Alright, I don't get it guys. I don't get why everyone is griping over in the review thread. I mean, yeah, more cars and tracks would be nice, but most seem to be griping about the always online requirement. I have to tell you, I LOVE this aspect of the game. The ratings and the way they sell it as a service, it feels like a casual iRacing without all the cost.

Also, you were right about motion controls. They are legit. Sure, if I want immersion I'll throw on my Rift and play pcars2 or AC using my Fanatec wheel on my PC, but if I just want a quick race every night but I still want precise controls with a DS4, the motion controls work perfectly.

Just had one of the worst GTS races, seemed like half the field was just ramming each other (and me). Must be road rage from the server downtime or something. Got a Red and afaik none of the collisions were my fault. :|

Played some arcade races during maintenance. I really like how in a close battle the AI picks a line on the outside or inside and actually adheres to it. Makes for some nice races once you have a good read on what the AI is doing.

edit:

The AI bmw defended inside line on entry and left the door open on outside for a pass. Love how the AI is not glued on rails this time.

I also played two hours of arcade while the servers were down and yeah the AI is definitely improved, would probably call it Driveclub level.

Also, played it long enough to notice sometimes the AI will use hazard lights while taking a corner, don’t know if it’s supposed to mean they took the corner poorly or something?

I mean, yeah, more cars and tracks would be nice, but most seem to be griping about the always online requirement. I have to tell you, I LOVE this aspect of the game.
What is there to love about not having offline support? One online competitive mode shouldn't require sacrificing all of the game's features when offline.

Alright, I don't get it guys. I don't get why everyone is griping over in the review thread. I mean, yeah, more cars and tracks would be nice, but most seem to be griping about the always online requirement. I have to tell you, I LOVE this aspect of the game. The ratings and the way they sell it as a service, it feels like a casual iRacing without all the cost.

Also, you were right about motion controls. They are legit. Sure, if I want immersion I'm ll throw on my Rift and play pcars2 or AC using my Fanatec wheel on my PC, but if I just want a quick race every night but I still want precise controls with a DS4, the motion controls work perfectly.

I think because you're exactly the kind of player that they're aiming the game at? Unfortunately lots of people are not looking for this particular experience and the game isn't aimed at them.

A gift from above netting me the mid-tier SVT Tomahawk as my daily car, and just as I was wrapping up testing on the starter model. Almost 15 seconds faster on the east outer loop. Up to 502hm/h on the massive straight, which puts it on par with what is now the old standard in insanity (the RB X2011). All non-auto assists (TCS, ASM and countersteer) and I can barely keep it on the road. All of the middle sector is flat-out, including that nasty left-right chicane.

I need the test track back! Or at least Daytona where you can keep it floored. It had legs yet at 500 but no room left to test them. Think I got a headache just trying to keep up my focus in the trial setting, though. PS5 with standard 120hz output plz.

magawolaz

U5P9b9v.gif

Wonder if they'll put up the full versions of Suzuka or Brands Hatch next week? Playing today in arcade I thought at least people have practiced the first few turns of these races compared to a totally new track like Lago Maggiore ... which will be absolutely crazy if they restrict it to hard tyres.

Great, these assholes dumped new down to D with their rear-ending and ramming me off the road. So fucking sick of this. Oh, and also, the last two races have been 50% D ranks already, so not a big surprise that the races were a shitshow. The matchmaking needs some serious work.

Anyone who can do 0:57 on brands Indy circuit with the civic got any tips? I am hammering at the door but can't quite get it done.

From the start finish line the sweeping downhill right does my head in. It seems you can start braking left, center or right and still get it done. It's a case of brake at just the right point, or too late. But whats best?

The tight u turn, is hugging the inside at 40mph and waiting .. and waiting .. the only way?

The next downhill to the left is sort of ok although if you cut it too much there is a penalty. Do you accelerate on the green felt or inside?

Then there is a left that I think you take off throttle and no brake then a right that you can use a bit of throttle to approach. But finally there is this awful turn that will decide the speed down the straight. I am never sure on how that corner works..

I just know people who can do 0;57 or 0:56 top ten can drive and talk round this track in their sleep! So what
are the secrets?

Crash331

What is there to love about not having offline support? One online competitive mode shouldn't require sacrificing all of the game's features when offline.

I mean the same can be said about Destiny or Diablo and both of those can be treated as entirely single player games if you want. With GTS, it's an integrated experience. And it's not like they hide it, it's written right there on the front of the case.

Hell, my whole damn PlayStation requires an internet connection or I can't play any digital games because my son's PS4 is set to the primary on my account.

It's not a big deal, IMO.

Great, these assholes dumped new down to D with their rear-ending and ramming me off the road. So fucking sick of this. Oh, and also, the last two races have been 50% D ranks already, so not a big surprise that the races were a shitshow. The matchmaking needs some serious work.

Where are you located? Every race I've had is all the same SR and maybe one or two different DR.

I can never win a race so the best part for me is seeing half the field get dumped out of level B S-Rating after the race.

Crash331

the golf is a great purchase, everyone i know is happy with their golf.

It was a fun car to play with in my 20s. It was easy to chip and get more HP and tons of torque with minimal work. Other cars were more modable like the WRX, but I was happy with my GTI. I still drive it 10 years later as a daily driver.

Where are you located? Every race I've had is all the same SR and maybe one or two different DR.

I can never win a race so the best part for me is seeing half the field get dumped out of level B S-Rating after the race.

West coast NA. It might be because it's late here, but this is the second night that I've had mixed rank races.

JJShadow

Anyone who can do 0:57 on brands Indy circuit with the civic got any tips? I am hammering at the door but can't quite get it done.

From the start finish line the sweeping downhill right does my head in. It seems you can start braking left, center or right and still get it done. It's a case of brake at just the right point, or too late. But whats best?

The tight u turn, is hugging the inside at 40mph and waiting .. and waiting .. the only way?

The next downhill to the left is sort of ok although if you cut it too much there is a penalty. Do you accelerate on the green felt or inside?

Then there is a left that I think you take off throttle and no brake then a right that you can use a bit of throttle to approach. But finally there is this awful turn that will decide the speed down the straight. I am never sure on how that corner works..

I just know people who can do 0;57 or 0:56 top ten can drive and talk round this track in their sleep! So what
are the secrets?

Yeah, I'd like to know this as well. I can't for the life of me get in the 57s, my best time right now is 58.3

In Suzuka my best lap is 54.6 using the Nissan GTR

GHG

Gold Member

are the secrets?

I'm 58:2 at the moment and can see where I can get more time. It's the first, third and last corners are most important as they have the longest straights directly after them so it's important to carry as much speed as possible coming out of those corners.

The first one down the hill, stay left, brake early and then set up the car at the right angle and hammer the throttle, use an upshot midway down the hill if you're suffering with torque understeer.

The last corner take a sweeping late apex from the left.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeh seeing how little you have access to when offline was shocking this morning.

I can imagine the pain if you don't have all the circuits unlocked yet.

And also you can't even buy cars? That's bullshit. I wanted to take the viper round green hell this morning but couldn't.

Browsing brand central feels bad, way too empty. Then again, I'm already struggling to find a car I want to buy, got 45 now through playing and got a lot of good stuff already.

Sayad

I don't even look at the gift screen during the demo/beta because I got tired of being disappointed when I got the only hatchback in a field of supercars. Thankfully the full game has been much kinder.
Does it have anything to do with your performance in the race or is it completely random?

danowat

Banned

are the secrets?

I can do a 57,so I'll try and help.

Paddock Hill bend, turn 1, early braking and tight apex is essential, the speed you lose of turn in you gain massively on exit.

Tight u turn, I assume you mean turn 2? If so, you can almost take it as a double apex turn, take the first part tight, wash out a little, then take a, slightly later apex to gain speed on exit.

Next turn, again, early braking is very important, so brake and turn in early.

Last turn is crucial, late apex makes all the difference.

I'll try and record a lap and post it up.

Well just completed the circuit experiences. All 100% and all gold. Also have the driving school at 100% and all gold. Iam at 97% campaign right now. Just have to do 24 missions and its conpleted.
Never touched online since release so got that waiting after 100% campaign.

Chanc3r

Neo Member
I feel stupid asking this, but how do you set qualifying laps in the daily races? Can't for the life of me figure it out.

I join an event with plenty of time before the race starts, run laps using the qualifying section, then when the race starts the top 3-4 cars have qualifying lap times and mine is blank along with everyone else's.

Top Bottom