• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tengai Makyou Zero complete fantranslation available in october 22

Holy shit man, you really don't know how I waited this. Almost 15 years since DeJap dropped the project...

And finally, is true: A complete translation of Tengai Makyou Zero (also know as Far East of Eden Zero) for SNES coming right on october 22.

IJOulVI.jpg

https://twitter.com/RetroTranslator/status/921249534121984002

For those who don't know, this was one of the most ambitious RPG ever made on Super Famicom using the SPC7110, a data decompression chip that allows for more data to be stored on a cartridge than a typical Super Famicom game. The game also makes use of a real-time clock accessed via the SPC7110, which, much like recent games in the Animal Crossing and Pokémon series, results in different special events in the game taking place depending on the time of day, and even the time of year.

tmz2.png
tmz9.png
tmz6.png

It works on a real SNES and the latest version of BSNES/Higan. I'm really, really hyped for this.

You can learn more about this franchise on this excellent HG101 article.

Ekid

For those who don't know, this was one of the most ambitious RPG ever made on Super Famicom using the SPC7110, a data decompression chip that allows for more data to be stored on a cartridge than a typical Super Famicom game.

So I guess it's not gonna work on the Snes Mini ?

Aeana

Fully translated packaging and maps, etc have been released, btw.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1rdmclp1kfpqkjo/AAB_mkjdbMm4IYqC5GqfCfhga?dl=0

That's Canoe, right? Doesn't RetroArch emulate the SPC7110 via its SNES9x 2005 core?
There needs to be an additional change made to support this translation since the ROM was expanded.

Also, please don't call the game Far East of Eden Zero. That's not correct. Far East of Eden is a prefix used for the name, relating to a book that the series is loosely based on, it isn't a translation of Tengai Makyou.

Also, please don't call the game Far East of Eden Zero. That's not correct. Far East of Eden is a prefix used for the name, relating to a book that the series is loosely based on, it isn't a translation of Tengai Makyou.

I know, but I'm afraid this is the name almost everybody knows outside Japan thanks to nineties magazines.

oooooh god I can't wait to start this up soon. Been wanting to play a (core) game in this series for ages.

Hoping the SD2SNES gets an update to support the SPC7110 soon. I'd love to play this on native hardware if possible.

inner-G

Banned
The title more literally would be something like: ‘devil world outside of heaven’

Here’s a YouTube vid that gives an overview and some of the game systems and some wonkiness with the dates (I guess it only counts up to 2014): https://youtu.be/NTXPLQJzhfY

Great news. I played this back when it was released, and I have great memories of the game. I remember it included a clock, I daren't check my cartridge to see if it’s still working.

Thanks to this thread, I also learned 428 had been confirmed for the west.
Machi when?

Aeana

It's out now for people who requested it early. Still waiting on Romhacking.net to update so everyone can get it.

I'll say though that it works beautifully with the new Higan retroarch core!

Santar

Excited to finally give this a go!
Does anybody know if it'll work on Snes9x 1.54?
I prefer it over Retroarch.

manzo

And I just replaced the dead battery in my own cart because the RTC kept resetting.

So how do I get to play this on real hardware? Replacing the mask roms?

MrT-Tar

I've always wanted to play this series, so this is very welcome news!

I remember reading a while ago that Working Designs and/or Gaijinworks were considering officially translating and localising the Saturn game (4th Apocalypse iirc).

Vamphuntr

Carts seems affordable on ebay too. I'll buy this as I never played anything in this series before which is kind of rare for me RPG wise. Screenshots look really great.

Beartruck

I hope the humor comes across in the translation. I played a bit of Tengai Makyou IV: The apocalypse with a guide and the game is so much weaker when you don't understand the jokes.

Aeana

Unfortunately, it seems that the only emulator that is playing this game completely correctly is bsnes v087. Very, very old. The newest Higan versions -- even with the Japanese ROM! -- don't seem to save/restore the RTC correctly, which is a major hit to this game. The modified snes9x also seems to have a similar issue. Correct functioning of the real-time clock is extremely important.

I really hope this can be sorted out soon. :(

Tizoc

Unfortunately, it seems that the only emulator that is playing this game completely correctly is bsnes v087. Very, very old. The newest Higan versions -- even with the Japanese ROM! -- don't seem to save/restore the RTC correctly, which is a major hit to this game. The modified snes9x also seems to have a similar issue. Correct functioning of the real-time clock is extremely important.

I never expected a specific hacking or modding method on a ROM could affect whether certain emus can run it :X

Aeana

What do I need to get this to work on a real SNES? All I have is an ancient 90s era flash cart lol

It uses a special chip called the SPC7110. You won't be able to make it work on a real SNES unless you have a donor cart with the same chip (so, most likely, the Japanese version of this game itself).

Has someone told byuu?

Nairume

Banned
I remember following the translation projects for this when I was in middle school. Now I'm at the tail end of a doctorate.

I guess all this leaves for major SFC games left untranslated are the four remaining MegaTens, the couple remaining Super Robot wars, and Fire Emblem 5.

Taruranto

Did anyone try console emulators, like Vita's retroarch or the 3DS's one?

I remember following the translation projects for this when I was in middle school. Now I'm at the tail end of a doctorate.

I guess all this leaves for major SFC games left untranslated are the four remaining MegaTens, the couple remaining Super Robot wars, and Fire Emblem 5.

There's about three dozen or so SFC JRPG's left to be translated. Hopefully they all get done at some point.

Top Bottom