• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School |OT| Korean Horror Cult Classic Returns

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I was confused also since I pre-ordered a physical copy on Amazon and it says it isn't coming until the 25th of September. Which I think is absurd.

In the questions section on Amazon it seems the developer commented on this actually this is what they stated:

"Hey, let me jump in and just address the question about the release date. So, the release dates are as follows:
22nd Aug - Steam
25 Aug - EU PS4
29 Aug - US PS4
However, as noted the Amazon release date in America has been pushed back to Sept. That was out of our (PQube's) hands and not something we requested. In America White Day is still launching on 29th Aug on PSN, and VideogamesPlus.ca is shipping retail copies (with the soundtrack CD too) for/from launch. It's only the Amazon supply that's available later on due to gremlins"

So basically looks like they don't even know, but buy it from somewhere else if you want it on time?

Thanks, I guess I'll import it then.

tonypark

I wish they were that dedicated with actually releasing the game on ps4 :/

I think what pisses me off the most now is the fact the PS4 version was only delayed to coincide with the PC version. Now, not only is it coming out after EU, its a week after PC.

I normally try not to bag on pc players but jesus christ

Not going to lie i am a bit salty about this also... i wonder what happened.
At least now we only have to wait until the 29th.

Luminaire

Woof, controller on PC ain't so hot. Wonder if it's just mine...

The main char keeps walking a bit further when I let go, and the sensitivity makes me miss aiming at things. Swapped to KB+M which is better but there's like no menu controls with the mouse.

Anyone know how the PS4 versions controller handles? I'd like to play this in the dark on my couch at night.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

ranmafan

Yes, to respond thoroughly English and Korean dubs are available, and there's subs for English, Korean, French, Italian, German, Russian, and Spanish. There is a Japanese version of the game, but not in this version of the game which I describe below.

Unfortunately not, but there is a reason. The Japanese version is being tackled by another publisher and for the Japanese release they're doing some drastic localization changes. IE, all the characters names have been changed in the Japanese version to new Japanese names, the dialogue has been changed to reflect Japanese culture more than Korean, and I believe there's other changes in the game to make it more themed at Japan than Korea. So the Japanese version is its own entity entirely basically, I also think the Japanese version of the game only has a Japanese dub while the rest of the world version has English and Korean dubs. So the mixture of the publisher for the Japanese version being different than the publisher that helped with the ROW version, plus the Japanese version taking some creative liberties to 'Japanese-ify" the game for a Japanese audience making some changes to the game not present in the ROW version, since the ROW version just takes place in Korea.

That's very interesting to hear about the Japanese version of the game. Certainly knew there were some changes considering the slightly different covers, but it sounds like it's even more extensive. I have that version coming tomorrow to play and looking forward to it. May have to get the western release too to get the more original feel of the game as well. Either way I'm looking forward to trying this out tomorrow.

how the fuck am i supposed to avoid the janitor?

He can appear everywhere, and there's absolutely no way to run or hide once he found you...

i can't explore anything on the second floor, sometime he appear as soon as i arrive, sometime when i go into the hallway, and so on.... he killed me 5 times already at this floor, i don't run, i don't switch lights on, etc...

he can even kill you in the small cutscene when you see the classroom number

Genki

Unfortunately not, but there is a reason. The Japanese version is being tackled by another publisher and for the Japanese release they're doing some drastic localization changes. IE, all the characters names have been changed in the Japanese version to new Japanese names, the dialogue has been changed to reflect Japanese culture more than Korean, and I believe there's other changes in the game to make it more themed at Japan than Korea. So the Japanese version is its own entity entirely basically, I also think the Japanese version of the game only has a Japanese dub while the rest of the world version has English and Korean dubs. So the mixture of the publisher for the Japanese version being different than the publisher that helped with the ROW version, plus the Japanese version taking some creative liberties to 'Japanese-ify" the game for a Japanese audience making some changes to the game not present in the ROW version, since the ROW version just takes place in Korea.

I see, thanks for the detailed response!

h0tp0ck3t

He can appear everywhere, and there's absolutely no way to run or hide once he found you...

i can't explore anything on the second floor, sometime he appear as soon as i arrive, sometime when i go into the hallway, and so on.... he killed me 5 times already at this floor, i don't run, i don't switch lights on, etc...

I haven't played this version but on mobile you can hide in the bathroom stalls and as long he didn't see you enter he'll give up chase after a few minutes

Reedirect

How long does a single playthrough usually take? I'm looking for a shorter horror experience right now, so anything above 10 hours is probably too much.

pronk420

I had that problem too, the first time I saw the cutscene he walked through the door in the middle of it and killed me. It feels like if he sees you then you're more or less dead.

Dusk Golem

Steamlord

I miss being able to hide behind desks. I feel like the protagonist is too tall in the remake.

Mostly though I'm disappointed in the changes they made to the floating head ghost. I cannot think of a scarier, more perfect piece of game design than the original floating head ghost.

Other than that though I'm loving it so far.

These are three things I've found, the last one being that when you open more routes to maneuver it generally gets easier. I actually think the janitor in the first building is harder at first since the first area is such a straight line with little pathways to take.

Yeah, it makes it a lot easier if you unlock and open all the doors as you go during the first boss sequence, since the janitor doesn't spawn during it.

Dusk Golem

Steamlord

The floating head ghost is what's suffered the most in the remake, I agree. She was one of the creepiest things in the original game and an ingenius bit of game design, but now she's more an annoyance than anything. She's not terrible, but the way they changed her mechanically is less interesting in my opinion, her sounds are less creepy, and the less subtle approach when she catches you with a jumpscare isn't great.

On the other hand, I think a variety of the entities have seen good improvements. I don't know how far you are, but the second janitor is actually distinct and creepier now I feel, some segments like the pool are better realized than they were originally. Some of the hidden ghosts are legitmately terrifying, too.

I like the remake a lot, but I have some notes of things I think the remake improves and dampens on from the original. However I'm having fun working for more endings on replay and trying to unlock the new character in the game (I found out how to unlock her and her new route, now just working towards it).

Yeah, I still don't completely get how she works in the remake. In the original she would just make a constant beeline for you, but it seems like she just randomly spawns in the remake. I usually don't even see her, I'll just hear her, run away because I don't know where she is, and then potentially get jump scared or have the whispering arbitrarily fade away. I don't really see a way not to alert the janitor when she's near you because you can't just slowly move away from her like you used to be able to.

I've only just reached Main Building 2, I'm taking things kind of slowly.

Also I reeeaaally hope they drastically reduce the frequency of the
locker ghost.
As it is now it's just obnoxious.

Dusk Golem

pronk420

I had a lot of difficulty at first too, but I think it gets easier when you begin to get accustomed more. Here's the three things I've learned by beating the game 1.5 times on hard mode now.

Thanks, I think that should help a bit. I did notice there seems to be an audio cue (like a constant noise) when he is nearby, unless that is something else..

The times I’ve tried to run from him whenever I looked behind me he was right behind me, so I’m not sure how you can get away? How do you close doors while you are running away? Even just turning around slowed me down enough for him to be right on top of me.

Don’t want to sound like I’m trashing the game, its great, very atmospheric and has some really cool story stuff, I love the ghost stories you find lying around. Please no spoilers but I’m guessing they tie into some of the things you encounter in the game.

hampig

The floating head ghost is what's suffered the most in the remake, I agree. She was one of the creepiest things in the original game and an ingenius bit of game design, but now she's more an annoyance than anything. She's not terrible, but the way they changed her mechanically is less interesting in my opinion, her sounds are less creepy, and the less subtle approach when she catches you with a jumpscare isn't great.

On the other hand, I think a variety of the entities have seen good improvements. I don't know how far you are, but the second janitor is actually distinct and creepier now I feel, some segments like the pool are better realized than they were originally. Some of the hidden ghosts are legitmately terrifying, too.

I like the remake a lot, but I have some notes of things I think the remake improves and dampens on from the original. However I'm having fun working for more endings on replay and trying to unlock the new character in the game (I found out how to unlock her and her new route, now just working towards it).

Can you show me a video or something of the original floating head ghost? What made the original so good?

Dusk Golem

Steamlord

One other thing I love about the floating head ghost is that
you can only see her in your peripheral vision, and if you look directly at her she turns invisible. It makes for some great moments where you briefly see her and turn to look, and nothing's there. You feel really vulnerable having to keep her to your side instead of in front of you to keep track of her. Fortunately they kept that element in the remake, but since she's not as omnipresent in the map it doesn't work as well.

Linkura

One other thing I love about the floating head ghost is that
you can only see her in your peripheral vision, and if you look directly at her she turns invisible. It makes for some great moments where you briefly see her and turn to look, and nothing's there. You feel really vulnerable having to keep her to your side instead of in front of you to keep track of her. Fortunately they kept that element in the remake, but since she's not as omnipresent in the map it doesn't work as well.

I was watching the video Dusk Golem linked of his LP of the original and kept watching for several thinking she'd "show up." I eventually realized what was going on and felt very dumb.

Dusk Golem

ranmafan

My copy has arrived. Going to put some time into it tonight, once I can pull myself away from Dragon Quest XI for a while. Cant wait to play!

ranmafan

Well I put in a little bit of time into the game tonight. The beginning is a bit intense for sure. They certainly know how to frighten the player well. I like that great classic horror game feeling.

By the way, heads up for anyone thinking about getting the Japanese version. As expected, it contains only a Japanese dub and sub. No English or other languages at all. Not a huge surprise but it would've been nice to have other language options like the other versions apparently do. So yeah for me it's no problem really but for others who might want that version it could be a problem to keep in mind. But overall nice game so far, looking forward to playing through more of it this week.

Gradon

I decided to start with hard, and I'm getting wrecked constantly. This is very hard. Not sure whether to start again on normal.

Zetaero757

Neo Member
So i am in korea now and im thinking about playing this with my fiance. Is there a way to have english subs and korean dub? Or is this a one or nothing kind of system?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's first-person so...what's the point of DLC costumes again?

Anung

Un Rama
Got this yesterday but wanted to finish Lost Legacy before I started. Which I have so I'm starting this tonight. Really looking forward to it.

ranmafan

Wait, GAF, I'm confused. How are people buying this physically if it's not released yet? Is it an imported version?

Yeah it released physically in a few regions such as Japan where I am. Although not a very easy game to find outside of online. Didn't see it for sale at my local game store and they get every new release. Thought that was a bit odd.

Zareka

I mostly-blind bought this thinking it was third person. I'm still enjoying it but I cannot handle first person horror. It didn't help one of the reviews said the ambient noise never amounts to anything so that freaking floating head caught me COMPLETELY off guard.

I'm trying to chip away but it's the middle of the day and I still can't do it. I hit pause the second I heard those damn whispers again. Nothing happened but then I walked through a door and the janitor came at me from down the hall. I suck at horror games.

My biggest barrier really is that head. Reading what's been posted here helps a little but knowing it can jump me anytime, at random? Euurgg. I'm letting myself get killed by the janitor instead of running because running into that head while being chased would end me.

Edit: reading how the ghost used to be sounds much better, primarily cuz I can handle a red flash better. The new jump scare just feels really cheap.

theyturkerjurbs

Neo Member
Is this worth the price tag gaf? Not a huge amount of buzz but I dig most interactive horror. How prevalent are the old school horror aspects like inventory management? Are there enemies that can be killed or is it always hide n seek? Is it really story heavy?

Reedirect

Is it just me or is the janitor much more aggresive here? I'm playing on normal, and I'm already getting wrecked in places I breezed through in the original.

theyturkerjurbs

Neo Member
No inventory management, no weapons (although several ghosts and "bosses" need to be killed through puzzles), and somewhat story focused.

White Day mainly achieved cult status because it was the first decent hide&seek horror game released way before the whole business became popularized by Amnesia.

Much appreciated 👍

Top Bottom