• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

ccharla

I like the DAS quite a bit, but the typing angle wasn't quite right and the keys didn't depress quite deeply enough for me, so I went back to an old-school IBM keyboard from 1984. Made in USA. No Windows key, but utterly indestructible and loud as hell. I'm sure I could have gotten used to the DAS if I had to, but with the heavy iron lying around, there was no need to...

www.pckeyboard.com

Unicomp is the only company that manufactures buckling spring switches anymore, and I love the hell out of my board. And having used all available mechanic switches out there I definitely prefer my unicomp board.

Wow, they upgraded their 90's looking website. Anyway, I also recommend buying a keyboard from them, mine is excellent!

Filco Majestouch here. It's fantastic. Tip: if you're not absolutely certain you won't miss the numpad, don't get a tenkeyless keyboard. I did and after a few months sold it on eBay and got another with the numpad. I really missed it!

Edit: oh, mine has Browns by the way. A good compromise. Has a satisfying noise, but not as loud as some, and also gives lovely feedback. If it ever breaks, I'll immediately buy another one exactly the same. Not that it ever would break. You could put a jewelry store window through with it!

Orayn

I'm completely lost reading all this. Is there a link you guys could give to make me understand why a mechanical keyboard is better or more preferred?

Simply put, they feel nicer to type on and have a much greater operating lifespan than membrane-based keyboards. This is because each key has a mechanical switch with metal contacts, rather than simply being a carbon pad embedded in a big silicon sheet.

larvi

I like the DAS quite a bit, but the typing angle wasn't quite right and the keys didn't depress quite deeply enough for me, so I went back to an old-school IBM keyboard from 1984. Made in USA. No Windows key, but utterly indestructible and loud as hell. I'm sure I could have gotten used to the DAS if I had to, but with the heavy iron lying around, there was no need to...

Yeah, I bought the das when it was onsale during BF week at newegg but I miss the feel of the IBM, something about the way it was curved seemed to flow right when typing. Or maybe it's just what you are used to as you said.

Maxrunner

I have quite a few in my collection:

2x HHKP2
Das keyboard the original.
Two original model m from ibm
an white alps one.
Topre 85
3xcherry g80-5000

Some have US layout others EU.

Still im thinking of gettint another cherry blue

Orayn

that is the worst keyboard I have ever typed on. the keys themselves non-withstanding, those macro keys to the left are a sin against humanity.

They're not that bad. It took me about a week to adjust to the slightly altered hand placement when I first got my Blackwidow.

Niblet

So happy I was able to test out all the switches. Red is my favorite barring complicated alps white (IIRC) and knowing that saved me from buying brown -- I don't like brown as much. Blue is fun and if I was to get a 3rd mech it would be blue. Buckling springs more than fill that role though.

Also, I love keyboards.

therapist

got a steelseris 7 recently , very nice , didnt think it would make a diff but it very much does , barely have to press the keys in

Zeth

Oh my.

Listening to a Das Pro on this youtube video is borderline ASMR-triggering.

This post made me discover ASMR, something I've been experiencing and not being able to identify/read about for my whole life. Just wow.

TheExodu5

Banned
So happy I was able to test out all the switches. Red is my favorite barring complicated alps white (IIRC) and knowing that saved me from buying brown -- I don't like brown as much. Blue is fun and if I was to get a 3rd mech it would be blue. Buckling springs more than fill that role though.

Also, I love keyboards.

I haven't tried the rest, but I really don't like the browns. The tactile feedback is not very crisp and makes the keys feel rather gritty.

Venfayth

that is the worst keyboard I have ever typed on. the keys themselves non-withstanding, those macro keys to the left are a sin against humanity.

Hah. I love mine. The macro keys are extremely useful for repetitive tasks, and after using this:

41WVAHJQQ7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

for a few years, you get used to finding your hand position without using the edge of the keyboard.

Not to mention the cherry blues are fantastic. My only gripe is that it's glossy finish makes smudging it easy, but the backlighting settings make up for it.

I have a Cherry G80-3000 with blue MX (got it for 50, brand new) and I'm very happy with it. Typing on standard rubber dome keyboards just sucks and screw the people that complain about the noise. It's like a typewriter, the best noise you can make while typing. I love it.

That said, the keyboard is getting old and I think that the keys don't feel as good anymore, so I'm going to get a Filco this year (like the design). It will be nice to have an actual case around the pcb and the keys. :lol

obonicus

Something's wrong with me. I got a ducky brown (and a black, but I don't like that one), loved it, then got a leopold blue, loved it, but now I think I'm going to shell out $300 for a Topre this year, and I've never even used a Topre keyboard.

www.pckeyboard.com

Unicomp is the only company that manufactures buckling spring switches anymore, and I love the hell out of my board. And having used all available mechanic switches out there I definitely prefer my unicomp board.

I've been using the same Unicomp keyboard for about a decade now, through 3 full system rebuilds. Still works and feels like new. When I got it, IIRC, they were the only company making mechanical keyboards. I guess people started to realize how awesome they are, and now they have more competition? Anyway, I don't know much about the other brands and have never comparison shopped, but I can say that Unicomp boards are durable as hell.

Wallach

Also, they have Topre switches, which are the best of the best of the best.

I don't know if I'd say they're the best. They don't have the best lifespan, and I wouldn't call the difference in their action from a Cherry superior in any worthwhile way. I like them a lot, but they are definitely less crisp than most other mechanical switches (they are still rubber dome switches after all). On the plus side, they are quiet and the HHKB specifically probably has my favorite typing sound of any keyboard.

Orayn

I don't know if I'd say they're the best. They don't have the best lifespan, and I wouldn't call the difference in their action from a Cherry superior in any worthwhile way. I like them a lot, but they are definitely less crisp than most other mechanical switches (they are still rubber dome switches after all). On the plus side, they are quiet and the HHKB specifically probably has my favorite typing sound of any keyboard.

Haha, I guess I meant "best" in the sense of those diamond-encrusted cell phones. Luxurious to be sure, though not ideal for everyone.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't like the sound of Topre switches. Cherry MX Blues sound sogood.gif

Wallach

Haha, I guess I meant "best" in the sense of those diamond-encrusted cell phones. Luxurious to be sure, though not ideal for everyone.

Yeah, they are definitely boutique 'boards.

Seriously though, they just sound awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPH7FAUfUY

Figure most people would he happier with a normal Topre board if they are going to drop that much money though. I much prefer the compressed layout anymore though; I go back and forth between the HHKBP2 and the Poker. At the very least, I will not ever go back to using a layout where Caps Lock and L Ctrl aren't swapped.

ghst's mini keyboard looks perfect for gaming, If i was looking for something like my Microsoft natural keyboard 4000 what switches should i get?

remz

I have a Das Keyboard ultimate (model S or whatever?) and holy crap does this thing rule, I'd recommend it to anyone that does a serious amount of typing.

Look and feel of this thing is incredible, and then when you go back to typing on a plain ole keyboard (ie. the g15 i used to have) The non-mech KBs feel like crap.

All this is subjective of course, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Reikon

Smart layout, great keycaps, great switches. It's expensive because it is a boutique item from Japan, but the product is still quite good.

I'd say the layout is bad without the corner ctrl keys. Switching caps lock with ctrl seems awkward too.

And before you guys get a $150 keyboard, I think an SSD is a much better upgrade for about the same amount of money. My friend bought an expensive keyboard but I can't get him to upgrade to an SSD. I would much prefer a $10 membrane keyboard and an SSD than a $150 keyboard and a HD.

adg1034

Guess who spent almost the entire evening researching mechanical keyboards on Overclock and GeekHack?

:(

I'm typing this on my quasi-venerable ABS M1, which apparently uses a Simplified Black Alps switch, so it's been interesting comparing it to, say, Cherry switches. And I'm this close to ordering a white-backlit Ducky Shine (well, I would be if the Cherry Brown model wasn't on backorder). ~$150 though, plus shipping... Hmmm.

Orayn

I'd say the layout is bad without the corner ctrl keys. Switching caps lock with ctrl seems awkward too.

And before you guys get a $150 keyboard, I think an SSD is a much better upgrade for about the same amount of money. My friend bought an expensive keyboard but I can't get him to upgrade to an SSD. I would much prefer a $10 membrane keyboard and an SSD than a $150 keyboard and a HD.

Couple of things about this post... Switching control and capslock is a very reasonable change. Most of us don't use caps THAT often. SSD and keyboard upgrades are completely different areas and depend entirely on one's individual priorities.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I really love the look of that Noppoo Choc Mini. Might be time to upgrade.

Is eBay my only real option for one here in the States?

Naka

Posting this from my new WASD Keyboard with Cherry MX Browns. Man this keyboard is awesome. I really like the feel of the browns. They are definitely easier to press than the blacks on the SteelSeries 6GV2 I had for a few days. I'm curious how blues feel compared to this too. I might have to order a second one to use at work!

Top Bottom