• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Beartruck

Quick Q: I'm importing an oldschool white pc engine but it has no ac adaptor. Is the turbo adapter or any of the US genesis adaptors compatible?

Edit: Genesis model 1 adaptor seems to work.

kiun

I'm thinking of listing my doujindance RGB modded duo r (complete with box) on ebay. Before I do that, I wanted to do an interest check in this thread to see if a fellow gafer is interested. Looking for $450 shipped (US). PM me if interested.

piggychan

Got my copy today. First time I've bought this mag, paper quality isn't great.

3cR7MXs.jpg

piggychan

Excellent! I haven't got my copy in the mail yet. How many pages are dedicated to the PC Engine article?

just 8 pages. I still haven't received my copy in the post but while I was shopping for groceries I saw this there and picked it up.

EDIT

Cross posting due to common interest

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1428440

Issues 33, 34, 35 of 1993 unofficial console fanzine ELECTRIC BRAIN from the UK. They were obsessed with PC Engine. Enjoy!

Thanks. I remember seeing this fanzine in the stores back in the day but mostly gave it a miss with my snobbish attitude :/

Was disappointed with the Retro Gamer PC Engine article.

All it was, was them talking to a few people that hyped the console up in the UK, not very much about the PC Engine apart from that.

Shame as an in-depth feature spending time over the hardware and software (as well as the import scene etc) would have been grand.

Nice to get a copy of Super Play with it though - even though it feels like a 'paid by nintendo' promo mag for the Snes Mini.

woodypop

Got my copy today. First time I've bought this mag, paper quality isn't great.
It probably won't arrive at my newsstand for another three weeks. =(

Yeah, there has been a gradual decline in the paper quality, first in the cover stock, then the interior pages. Coupled with hikes in the cover price makes for a tough pill to swallow. But it's still my favorite gaming mag. I really should look into subscribing again, but international shipping can be a real deal-breaker. (That, and getting my copy in the mail after it's hit my newsstand on occasion. =/)

Beartruck

Was disappointed with the Retro Gamer PC Engine article.

All it was, was them talking to a few people that hyped the console up in the UK, not very much about the PC Engine apart from that.

Shame as an in-depth feature spending time over the hardware and software (as well as the import scene etc) would have been grand.

Nice to get a copy of Super Play with it though - even though it feels like a 'paid by nintendo' promo mag for the Snes Mini.
Sums up my feelings. I was like "cool intro to the system, now lets see what games they recommend" and then I turn to a 2 page spread of the NES advantage. >:|

Surprised they lasted as long as they have if so.

They try to cover a huge swath of time, like late 70s up to 2000. Each issue is a grab bag of different systems, with a massive tilt towards the various British 80s PCs. They would benefit from focus, like if half this issue was PC Engine and then the rest was the grab bag then maybe?

Also lot of their articles aren't very well written. But they're kind of the only game in town for this kind of thing.

IrishNinja

Retro Gamer is always like that...

this is the thing - i love the coverage/layout but they're not known for in-depth stuff, really. it's just that they're one of the only retro mags in print all this time.

HG101 books cover a lot more ground for me, but i know they're not for everyone.

IrishNinja

Which ones do you consider must own? I only got a couple, namely the Castlevania one and the Konami shooters one.

as a classic Sega fan, the 2 volumes of that are fantastic - they pick some popular ones but a lot of focus goes on cult classics & lesser known titles.

some of the specific game ones (Strider, Contra, Bionic Commando etc) are great if your'e a fan of those, they recently dumped all of them as e-books if you donate $10 to their patreon, if even for a month. that's how i got many of the ones i was missing, still going through them.

can't wait for their SMT one

as a classic Sega fan, the 2 volumes of that are fantastic - they pick some popular ones but a lot of focus goes on cult classics & lesser known titles.

some of the specific game ones (Strider, Contra, Bionic Commando etc) are great if your'e a fan of those, they recently dumped all of them as e-books if you donate $10 to their patreon, if even for a month. that's how i got many of the ones i was missing, still going through them.

can't wait for their SMT one

Definitely one I'd pick up.

Not a huge SEGA fan boy myself, but always interested to learn about gaming history in general.

Got a mint copy of Star Parodier comeplete with spine card in the mail today, owned a copy (without spine) years ago which I sold, glad to have it back in my collection. Got it for only about $70, good deal I'd say. One of, if not my favorite comical shmup of all time, I'd love to know more about the story behind this game. Was it a direct answer to Konami's Parodius or were Kaneko and Hudson just having fun? I wish I could see more art or magazine scans for the game (paging AmyS). I honestly don't know how anyone could not enjoy this game, you have the ship from Star Soldier, a cute anthropomorphic PC Engine mech and a Bomberman mech.
gotta love the authentic Bomberman boss fight later.
Solid gameplay, nice variety of power ups, colorful, detailed graphics and a lovely soundtrack all worthy of the SCD format. Some pics:

EnfQ3LP.jpg

qBjKi38.jpg

zdvSOGS.jpg

Cl5OMYh.jpg

jEa64Od.jpg

263IpEP.jpg

Qrd3aQD.jpg

Anyone here own Parasol Stars? If so how do you like it? I have a copy on the way, was able to get a CIB copy of the U.S. version for about half of what it usually goes for. Really excited as I have wanted the game for years and based on videos it looks like a colorful mix of Bubble Bobble and Mizanbaku/Liquid Kid's water throwing gameplay. I was always intrigued that it was created for the PCE/TG-16 exclusively before being ported to Amiga and NES later. Also read a rumor Taito supposedly had an arcade PCB in the works at one point based on PCE hardware.

piggychan

Anyone here own Parasol Stars? If so how do you like it? I have a copy on the way, was able to get a CIB copy of the U.S. version for about half of what it usually goes for. Really excited as I have wanted the game for years and based on videos it looks like a colorful mix of Bubble Bobble and Mizanbaku/Liquid Kid's water throwing gameplay. I was always intrigued that it was created for the PCE/TG-16 exclusively before being ported to Amiga and NES later. Also read a rumor Taito supposedly had an arcade PCB in the works at one point based on PCE hardware.

one of the better Taito pce games and it's the best version. It's quite a long game though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D6euvpJ7gY

http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?pas

piggychan

When I originally had this back in 90's I hated it because my pc engine controller didn't have auto fire so I was getting no where in this game. Now I like it a lot more. I don't remember seeing the pc engine / Supergrafx compatibility displayed as such back in the day but I did know about the enhancements.

picked up Darius Plus for 25 gbp from a forum member. One of the better NEC Avenue ports. Also NEC Ave did some amazing instruction booklets.
Also known as super darius for pc engine CD-rom

According to my mail tracking I should be getting my copy of Parasol Stars very soon.

When I originally had this back in 90's I hated it because my pc engine controller didn't have auto fire so I was getting no where in this game. Now I like it a lot more. I don't remember seeing the pc engine / Supergrafx compatibility displayed as such back in the day but I did know about the enhancements.

picked up Darius Plus for 25 gbp from a forum member. One of the better NEC Avenue ports. Also NEC Ave did some amazing instruction booklets.
Also known as super darius for pc engine CD-rom

Great pics, there is so much Taito goodness on PCE. Did NEC Avenue port using the source code or was it reprogrammed from the ground up? I still plan on getting PCE Darius even though I have the Hamster ACA PS4 port because I love playing and comparing arcade ports like these from the 8/16-bit days. Also reminds me that I need to re-buy a Supergrafx one of these days.

Beartruck

According to my mail tracking I should be getting my copy of Parasol Stars very soon.

It's probably my favorite Turbo game, hope you enjoy it.

I'm waiting to go home right now so I can dig into a lot mailed to my house. Got Valkyrie no Densetsu, Side Arms, Gaiflame, Bomberman and Bomberman '94 all in case. Valkyrie in particular is very high on my hype list, as I've already played Whirlo for SNES, but not the series it was inspired by.

(I'm still collecting Turbo games by what I find in person only, but I got a white PC engine and I've started trading online for some things.)

It's probably my favorite Turbo game, hope you enjoy it.

Sweet, glad to hear it. I'm sure I'll love it, there is just something magical about one screen Taito action platform games.

I'm waiting to go home right now so I can dig into a lot mailed to my house. Got Valkyrie no Densetsu, Side Arms, Gaiflame, Bomberman and Bomberman '94 all in case. Valkyrie in particular is very high on my hype list, as I've already played Whirlo for SNES, but not the series it was inspired by.

(I'm still collecting Turbo games by what I find in person only, but I got a white PC engine and I've started trading online for some things.)

Bomberman '94 is soooooo good. Have played multiplayer so many times with friends and family over the years. Single player campaign is fun too with really bright, colorful levels and nice sprites.

Parasol Stars arrived, whoo! It's complete with box, case, Hucard and sleeve and in near mint condition.

Edit: Just played the first few rounds and am loving it so far. Enemy chaining is addictive and intuitive like other Taito one screen games and visuals and music are really nicely done. I like how you can float between platforms and also use the umbrella as a shield which adds some additional strategy.

pxdcCkl.jpg

Edit:

Man, I love this game, experiencing a Taito game for the first time is magic. Stage 7, first boss battle. lol @ the "Kick me" sign on the boss. Maybe not the best pic but the game looks great in s-video.

Qswa4hm.jpg

Am having fun getting a higher score in Parasol Stars. I'm glad this was a Turbo Booster supported game so it saves your high scores in the system memory if you have a Duo but it seems like the only time you get to see the leaderboard is when you die, have so far not seen the high scores display in between any of the attract screens.

The forest zone has multi-screen levels in addition to single screen which makes for some nice variety. Also gotta love these enemy types right now, mini lions, pink unicorns and these weird, potted bird-plant hybrid things, haha. Seriously nice sprite work in this game:

3urMG0p.jpg

Edit:

This boss is amazing, Biollante bird!

tLSw86x.jpg

piggychan

Getting better at getting a higher score in Parasol Stars. It's cool that the forest zone has multi-screen levels in addition to single screen. Also gotta love these enemy types, mini lions, pink unicorns and these weird, potted bird-plant hybrid things, haha Seriously nice sprite work in this game:

3urMG0p.jpg

Has your system stopped going black and white ?

If only OSSC supported s-video...If your TV has HDMI inputs you might be able to get an adapter that could switch s-video to RGB,Component or DVI and then output to HDMI.

EDIT
Only consider it if you are scanline anal.. I mentioned that Twinbee and Raiden had problems displaying on OSSC but this is infact an error. It is when the OSSC is fed into my Elgato Gaming Capture HD is when I get issues.

hX1w0DI.jpg

My cd-rom2 unit is choking, stuttering and unable to read discs right now it's going to be sent accross the Atlantic for a medical...

Has your system stopped going black and white ?

If only OSSC supported s-video...If your TV has HDMI inputs you might be able to get an adapter that could switch s-video to RGB,Component or DVI and then output to HDMI.

EDIT
Only consider it if you are scanline anal.. Also I noticed Twinbee and Raiden hucards seem to be incompatible with the OSSC as neither give an image.

hX1w0DI.jpg

My cd-rom2 unit is choking, stuttering and unable to read discs right now it's going to be sent accross the Atlantic for a medical...

It hasn't gone black and white at all so far this week. Hopefully it was just something like AV cord (which I'm only using for audio) being a bit loose or something but we'll see. Thanks for the helpful info. I might look into something like that until I either get an RGB monitor someday or a good upscale converter.

Edit: Took a short break from Parasol Stars to play a quick round of R-TYPE. Still amazing how close to arcade perfect it is and looks great in s-video, was able to get a couple of nice, clean shots:

jVm6iDz.jpg

MLjxcGL.jpg

Beartruck

Edit: Took a short break from Parasol Stars to play a quick round of R-TYPE. Still amazing how close to arcade perfect it is and looks great in s-video, was able to get a couple of nice, clean shots:

jVm6iDz.jpg
Playing through R-type right now myself, although its the PC engine version thats split into 2 cards (4 levels each). I suck at shmups so im currently stuck on level 3, but ill plow through.

Edit: Ran out of credits on the boss of level 4. So close!

piggychan

hmmm I got a refund for my online order from Future Publishing. I guess they didn't print enough copies of the current Retro Gamer mag?

There was no email to say why it was cancelled just an email from paypal to say I've been refunded. Good thing I picked up a copy in my local supermarket.

Listen guys, could you stop posting game screens and game boxes, because I have a ton of PCE Games and still end up seeing awesome stuff of here that I then have to buy.

With that said, a couple of years I picked up Burning Angel and Override because I saw them mentioned here, just for kicks and the price on those has doubled. - Mind you they are both amazing games!

Top Bottom