• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Minamu

Luck builds are most definitely hollow. Unless you use anri's sword exclusively, the hollow infusion allows you to take any weapon and have it scale off luck, the extra 5 luck points you get for being hollow is not worth throwing away just cause you dont like looking frail imo...you can use the rings form Yurai to look normal, if that's your gripe. I suppose not being able to hire two phantoms is a gripe some may have, but I never hire help, the most I need is one to hire the NPC to forward their story....and otherwise I only offer assistance.
I wanted to role-play as the Joker :lol Good point about the ring though! You can't hire two people if you're hollow or what do you mean? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyhbDLGAvI

this is the sacred flame glitch, right?
Yea, I got hit by that once. I survived with like 15% HP.

I wonder if I should take my main character to NG+, or retire him until DLC and start a new character.

Apparently the jump form NG to NG+ isn't a huge difference. At least, not like it wasin DaS 1 & 2. I personally made a second character, I'd say wait for the DLC to drop so that way you can get more goodies from the DLC by going into NG+ and so on.

silva1991

Just got the platinum and i'm not satisfied in the slightest.

farming for darkmoon items and getting all the +1/2 rings was probably the worst souls experience for me

BB was perfect to platinum even though defiled dungeon was annoying at least all I needed is to finish it once and it only took a day.

I will probably not touch the game until the DLC is announced or released.

Manu

farming for darkmoon items and getting all the +1/2 rings was probably the worst souls experience for me

BB was perfect to platinum even though defiled dungeon was annoying at least all I needed is to finish it once and it only took a day.

Is this your first Souls platinum? Other than Bloodborne I mean.

Demon's is still the absolute worst.

I found Dark Souls 1 to be pretty obnoxious. Reinforcing a weapon of every type to its absolute maximum. The slabs were a bitch to get, so were green titinites.

silva1991

God no, I platinumed them all

DeS's platinum was bad, but it took me a much shorter time than DS3 so, to me DS3 is worst at platinuming.

myco666

Easily worst to plat.

Nah. You need to get Pure Bladestone once. Here you need to do double the amount of farming time because covenants won't work.

2AdEPT

I wanted to role-play as the Joker :lol Good point about the ring though! You can't hire two people if you're hollow or what do you mean? :)

unless they patched it you can only hire one phantom at the highest level of hollowing. Lots of people trying in futility while I waited for them to find another phantom when i could see they were hollow and it was futile! they just thought it as bad connection i think.

burgerdog

This is going to be an easy plat for me because the only thing I had to farm was the sword grass and that only took me about 90 minutes. The rest of the items I just got by playing the game and having fun.

NeoBob688

I had taken a hiatus from this game for a few weeks. Is it true that the recent PC patch has introduced a lot more performance problems, i.e. stuttering?

I had taken a hiatus from this game for a few weeks. Is it true that the recent PC patch has introduced a lot more performance problems, i.e. stuttering?

Yea. The game will freeze for a couple seconds. Apparently it has something to do with the graphics card going into idle mode for a second. someone posted a picture explaining it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've seen graphical "bugs" quite a few times, but this one is particularly egrigious. When you enter the room with , if you turn around and look above the entrance, there are a ton of completely untextured stones as part of the wall.

Wo07gyUh.jpg
There's a bunch of outright untextured sections like that in the game. Like they just forgot to. lol. Dat A-team!

Yeah, and the only zone where Way of the Blue doesn't work. I've tested it, no Blue EVER! This would be the perfect zone but nope, ganking the host it is.
Dunno why From thinks the gank is fun.
Well, it's the only place in the game where gankers are more typically invaders than hosts, so I guess it's payback. xD

Invading at the High Wall with those first five orbs you can get sure is a hoot... It's nothing but legit gank squads comprised of three or more scaled down end-game characters with super badass gear and crazy spells. Thankfully I was able to secure my Pale Tongue with my last orb, the rest of my invasions were completely unwinnable situations.

Despite all that armour hosts and phantoms are still afraid to approach reds though, lol.
Weird. When I invade in the High Wall (you can get the red orb pretty early btw, no need to use cracked orbs, if you need the first Pale Tongue there's one as loot early on too), I mostly get newbie questers, though sometimes I get low level fight clubs and/or camping gankers too. It's a lot of fun though, 'cause you're mostly paired with cooping players, but they're usually terrible at PvP so it's very winnable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyhbDLGAvI

this is the sacred flame glitch, right?
What is the glitch part? I mean it's pretty strong/OP, but I don't know about the glitch. He casts Iron Flesh to not be interrupted, then he does the grab move which is part of the spell itself.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man, spent all morning making my way through fucking F
arron
K
eep
. What a hellhole that place is, although compared to Blighttown it was a breeze. I think I actually prefer Earthen Keep to this place though, as far as poison Souls areas go. Definitely had my most deaths of any area so far, and that's without fighting the boss yet. Think I need a break before I go any further into that big door I just opened lol.

What is the glitch part? I mean it's pretty strong/OP, but I don't know about the glitch. He casts Iron Flesh to not be interrupted, then he does the grab move which is part of the spell itself.

The damage is based on your weapon's critical damage if you cast Sacred Flame while two handing a White Hair Talisman for some reason, and does significantly more damage than the regular Sacred Flame.

It's like riposting without having to parry.

Minamu

unless they patched it you can only hire one phantom at the highest level of hollowing. Lots of people trying in futility while I waited for them to find another phantom when i could see they were hollow and it was futile! they just thought it as bad connection i think.
Hmm, I see, I think that has happened to my main as well. Good to know.

Man, spent all morning making my way through fucking F
arron
K
eep
. What a hellhole that place is, although compared to Blighttown it was a breeze. I think I actually prefer Earthen Keep to this place though, as far as poison Souls areas go. Definitely had my most deaths of any area so far, and that's without fighting the boss yet. Think I need a break before I go any further into that big door I just opened lol.

I actually liked Earthen Peak for the most part. The only part I hated was the stupid obscure torch you had to light to drain the poison.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This video does a pretty good job at showing the glitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCbKNi7vL8
The damage is based on your weapon's critical damage if you cast Sacred Flame while two handing a White Hair Talisman for some reason, and does significantly more damage than the regular Sacred Flame.

It's like riposting without having to parry.
Huh. So the glitch is by using that particular talisman? 'Cause yeah he's doing insane damage (lol @ 1hko on the AW boss, and that's probably NG+ too since I think the pyro is after AW in NG) and yet he doesn't have the stats requirements?

Without this talisman, using a normal pyro glove say, how much damage would it do on a regular player by using it normally (with Iron Flesh to avoid being staggered of course)?

I actually got hit by that thing once. I had taken some damage (it was some chaotic 1v1v1 invasion or something) and thought he was just doing really good damage and using a clever strategy, didn't realize it was a glitch and that it'd one-shot everyone.

The video claims it works on "bad players" but, well, that seems unfair, if you are not expecting it you'll just attack some guy through their Iron Flesh and then get grabbed right away, it doesn't seem easy to escape unless you know what to expect.

Huh. So the glitch is by using that particular talisman? 'Cause yeah he's doing insane damage (lol @ 1hko on the AW boss, and that's probably NG+ too since I think the pyro is after AW in NG) and yet he doesn't have the stats requirements?

Without this talisman, using a normal pyro glove say, how much damage would it do on a regular player by using it normally (with Iron Flesh to avoid being staggered of course)?

I actually got hit by that thing once. I had taken some damage (it was some chaotic 1v1v1 invasion or something) and thought he was just doing really good damage, didn't realize it'd one-shot everyone.

I don't think it's just the talismen, it's using the multihit weapon to make that scared flame hit multiple times, thus uping it's damage a lot. I got it by it in PvP too and was like Da fuq? That shit is powerful. When I told my friend he mentioned the glitch, and I figured I got hit by a dude exploiting the glitch.

Btw, if anyone needs a Dark Sword I have 30...just hit me up on PC :p

2AdEPT

Spears > Washing pole for phantom range in 2.

For those that care, the washing pole is based on a REAL sword in Japanese lore:
Weapon:
from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojirō
[see my bold]
Sasaki's favored weapon during combat was a straight-edged nodachi with a blade-length of over 90 cm (2 feet, 11.5 inches). As a comparison, the average blade-length of the regular katana are usually 70 cm (2 feet, 3 inches) but rarely longer. It was called monohoshizao (Clothes/Laundry-Drying Pole, 物干し竿, often translated into English as "The Drying Pole"). Despite the sword's length and weight, Sasaki's strikes with the weapon were unusually quick and precise.

Swallow Cut[edit]

Kabuki actor Ohtani Tomoemon as Sasaki Kojiro in the ill-fated duel with Miyamoto Musashi at Ganryu Island.
His favorite technique was both respected and feared throughout feudal Japan. It was called the "Turning Swallow Cut" or Tsubame Gaeshi (燕返し, "Swallow Reversal / Return"), and was so named because it mimicked the motion of a swallow's tail during flight as observed at Kintaibashi Bridge in Iwakuni. This cut was reputedly so quick and precise that it could strike down a bird in mid-flight. There are no direct descriptions of the technique, but it was compared to two other techniques current at the time: the Ittō-ryū's Kinshi Cho Ohken and the Ganryū Kosetsu To; respectively the two involved fierce and swift cuts downward and then immediately upwards. Hence, the "Turning Swallow Cut" has been reconstructed as a technique involving striking downward from above and then instantly striking again in an upward motion from below. The strike's second phase could be from below toward the rear and then upward at an angle, like an eagle climbing again after swooping down on its prey. Sasaki created this technique around 1605.

Blinck

Finally finished the game!

Overall, really really enjoyed it.

Much more consistent in quality than Dark Souls 1 and 2.
Izalith
still sucks though... I feel like it's a joke on the developers part, lol.
But seriously, I really enjoyed most areas, and some of them are really beautiful and others have a very cool atmosphere. The bosses were pretty damn cool as well - in fact, I think they are probably the best set of bosses of all the games along with BB when it comes to design and overall challenge. I don't think any boss was a big throwaway like many in the previous Souls.

My biggest criticism on the game is that it feels very linear. While the areas themselves are pretty big with plenty of secrets and pathways, the progression is extremely linear compared to previous souls games ( except Bloodborne, which suffered from the same problem).

Even though I'm still discovering the lore and I loved to explore Lothric and it's secrets, it's definitely time to end this universe - the cyclical nature of the story just doesn't work anymore IMO.

But overall, loved it.

Bloodborne is the best, though :)

P.S. - I still feel like properly using and upgrading a bow in any souls game makes it at least 40% easier. I just cheesed so many stuff I was disgusted with myself :p

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ok this is a common thing? Damn I hope they take care of it soon because it's annoying as hell.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the A
byss
W
atchers.
Ugh, what an annoying fight. Had to resort to summoning an NPC to help me out at the end because I hate fighting bosses that throw multiple enemies at you. Just seems like a cheap way to increase the difficulty.

Now I have to decide between Boulder Heave and Havel's Ring. I'm a pyromancer so I'm tempted to get BH, but at the same time if it's going to be replaced later by another spell then I may just get Havel's Ring so I can equip some better gear. I'm currently wearing some light armor because I'm pumping my points into INT/FTH/ATT/VIG/END.

Beat the A
byss
W
atchers.
Ugh, what an annoying fight. Had to resort to summoning an NPC to help me out at the end because I hate fighting bosses that throw multiple enemies at you. Just seems like a cheap way to increase the difficulty.

Now I have to decide between Boulder Heave and Havel's Ring. I'm a pyromancer so I'm tempted to get BH, but at the same time if it's going to be replaced later by another spell then I may just get Havel's Ring so I can equip some better gear. I'm currently wearing some light armor because I'm pumping my points into INT/FTH/ATT/VIG/END.

A little info about that fight
The first Abyss Watcher that gets summoned will fight against you, a little bit after another Abyss Watcher will rise up and fight the other Abyss Watchers. You can tell he's fighting against them because of the red eyes.
The fight is really cool and I enjoyed it a lot

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Beat the A
byss
W
atchers.

Heavy armour is crap in this game, so you don't need Havel's Ring unless you're wielding a really heavy weapon. Buuuut to be honest I never used that spell so I have no idea if it's any good.

Has anyone been experiencing difficulty being auto-summoned? I've been waiting at least and hour for
Farron
to auto-summon me, and nothing. So I keep grinding the covenant drop through mobs while I wait.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
A little info about that fight
The first Abyss Watcher that gets summoned will fight against you, a little bit after another Abyss Watcher will rise up and fight the other Abyss Watchers. You can tell he's fighting against them because of the red eyes.
The fight is really cool and I enjoyed it a lot

Yeah I know, I managed to get through that portion of the fight most of the time. But I always used up so much of my Estus during that section that the next section became incredibly difficult due to the fire attacks. After like 7 tries I said fuck it and summoned.

Heavy armour is crap in this game, so you don't need Havel's Ring unless you're wielding a really heavy weapon. Buuuut to be honest I never used that spell so I have no idea if it's any good.

Why is heavy armor crap? Wouldn't it give me more protection if I got hit?

Minamu

Heh, guess I screwed up. I leveled my Anri's Straight Sword to +2 and I haven't beaten the tree boss yet, so I'm not really finding anyone to invade in the previous areas anymore :lol

SDR-UK

Has anyone been experiencing difficulty being auto-summoned? I've been waiting at least and hour for
Farron
to auto-summon me, and nothing. So I keep grinding the covenant drop through mobs while I wait.

You'll get used to it.

Some people just cannot be summoned so your stuck with farming, unfortunately.

working as intended.

Lol, I hope that never goes away until they make poise useful again. Trading hits is so annoyingly stupid.

Yeah I know, I managed to get through that portion of the fight most of the time. But I always used up so much of my Estus during that section that the next section became incredibly difficult due to the fire attacks. After like 7 tries I said fuck it and summoned.

Why is heavy armor crap? Wouldn't it give me more protection if I got hit?
The way I beat them was by
smacking the boss till one rose up, then I played the "run for your life" game until the second spawned, then I would go and kill the first one that spawned so the second guy helps me with the boss. Rinse and repeat.

Heavy armour hasn't really be very useful since like DaS 1. I find medium armour to be really good for DaS 3 though.

Skii

Not significantly enough to sacrifice weight and/or a ring slot.

I'd just prefer it in the next Souls game (whenever that is) to get just get rid of the stats and weight on armour. Fashion Souls is more important than the negligible increase in defence you get between different sets.

There'd still be an equip load but it would only affect weapons. Maybe this is making it too similar to Bloodborne...

I'd just prefer it in the next Souls game (whenever that is) to get just get rid of the stats and weight on armour. Fashion Souls is more important than the negligible increase in defence you get between different sets.

There'd still be an equip load but it would only affect weapons. Maybe this is making it too similar to Bloodborne...

Stat req came in because of twinkers I think. Taking away the weight would make vit basically useless, which I don't think they want.

Also no more souls games :( our lord and soulvior Hidetaka Miyazaki said DaS 3 was the end of the soul series for him. Like, if a woker asked if they can make a DaS 4 he won't stop em, but he won't have anything to do with it.

Tarkus

Stat req came in because of twinkers I think. Taking away the weight would make vit basically useless, which I don't think they want.

Also no more souls games :( our lord and soulvior Hidetaka Miyazaki said DaS 3 was the end of the soul series for him. Like, if a woker asked if they can make a DaS 4 he won't stop em, but he won't have anything to do with it.
I'd love another Tanimura-san game. The last one was absolutely brilliant with the best PvP of the series.

Why won't
Patches
go to Firelink? On my first playthrough, I met him at the Tower, and found him in Firelink Shrine thereafter. But this time I met him in Cathedral Deep, and he's still hanging around there even though I'm much further on now. I don't have the "Talk" option either (I can only buy and sell stuff). I want to
send Greirat to Irrithyl, but want to tell Patches where he is, so he can save him.

Deku Tree

I was only ever able to summon one helper in r
oad of sacrifices
. In earlier places I could always summon two. Does that area have some kind of a summon restriction?

Top Bottom