• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube announces support for 60fps videos

jetsetrez

There's also Firefox. If there are two alternatives and you don't want to switch then the issue is really with you.
Maybe he likes Safari just fine. Why should someone have to switch browsers to be able to view a thing on the Internet? The whole point of the Internet is that it's supposed to be the one universal, inclusive platform.

In any case, I thought those two videos looked awful. They look fake, like the display modes TV manufacturers put in HDTVs that up 24/30 fps content to 60. I'm glad that this is now an option, but it looked poorly done, and the compression was still poor.

Tried it in 1080p fullscreen? That's how it works for me.

Hmm, doesn't seem to work for me in Firefox 28 and whatever Chrome version I have installed, thanks though! Is there maybe a new Flash version we need?

Well, on Chrome I can't even seem to get out of HTML5, and tested there as well and the videos ran at 30.

Yep. It's kind of dumb because I can use the x2 speed option without issue.

Guess it's broken for some people then still :(

Hmm, doesn't seem to work for me in Firefox 28 and whatever Chrome version I have installed, thanks though! Is there maybe a new Flash version we need?

In Cyberfox 30 it runs under the settings I said just fine. Tried it with Chrome just now, it runs even with 720p no full screen fine.

AmyS

All I expect from YouTube 60 FPS is just that, 60 frames per second on a Windows 7/8 PC using Google Chrome or IE. I do not expect the quality to be anything but way below average with massive amounts of compression.

If I want a high bitrate I'll watch Gamersyde's 1080p60 streams (much improved recently BTW) or I'll simply download Gamersyde's MP4 or WMV.

Blim Blim / Gamersyde is the Gold Standard for framerate and quality / bit rate, and YouTube 60 isn't gonna change that.

With that said, it's truly awesome to know that the sheer number of 60 FPS game videos on the interest is about to skyrocket right into the stratosphere.

My hope is that casual gamers may start to notice the smoother-moving visuals even if they have no clue what FPS / frame rate means.

But much more importantly, the masses of younger non-casual "core" gamers that started gaming on PS360 within the past 9 years (or even on PS2 / OG Xbox) the ones that are aren't yet or may never be truly the hardest of the hardcore, will eventually begin to expect & demand 60 FPS from devs that make games in the genres that really need to be at the highest possible frame rate. Most games can really benefit from from 60 FPS.

The exceptions being RPGs, some action-adventure games and most open-world sand box games like GTA that can get away with just 30 FPS in order to make their worlds larger, more detailed and more seemless. Also in some games where more detail per frame and heavy post-processing effects make 60 FPS less feasible with a given console's hardware limitations.

We will never, ever have a generation of game systems with only 60 FPS games. We will always have games with bad frame rates that dip into the 20s or worse. It is my sincere hope that we eventually get more & more games that at least reach for 60. And more that are locked at 60.

There will always be good & positive reasons for *some* games to be locked at a solid 30 FPS, as well as bad reasons why games of either 30 or 60 FPS don't maintain a locked frame rate that dip down significantly below 30.

Ya know what's gonna be awesome sometime this Fall ? The PS4 Youtube App + SHARE direct-to-YT with the new YouTube60FPS. and the equivalent combo for Xbox One.

It's borked in Firefox. I get 30fps with the Flash player at 1080p and the HTML5 caps at 720p, also 30fps. Works on Chrome and IE11.

In Cyberfox 30 it runs under the settings I said just fine. Tried it with Chrome just now, it runs even with 720p no full screen fine.

It randomly started to work for me in Chrome now but still no dice in Firefox even after a Flashplayer update :/ Oh well I don't feel like updating to Firefox 30 due to having a self-made custom UI and I'm not sure it still works past 29 so I guess I will turn Chrome on for whenever I have to watch something in 60fps on Youtube.

I guess it's something about Youtube's implementation of it as Gamersyde's 60fps videos works flawlessly with Firefox 28.

H4r4kiri

SO I use firefox. In youtube Center what should i do . Html5 or flash ?

And what is up with all the Bitrates talk ? Why is a high bitrate good with Players ?

Baleoce

Good news. I wonder if they'll ever be able to optimize the ways videos re-encode when being uploaded, too.

All I expect from YouTube 60 FPS is just that, 60 frames per second on a Windows 7/8 PC using Google Chrome or IE. I do not expect the quality to be anything but way below average with massive amounts of compression.

If I want a high bitrate I'll watch Gamersyde's 1080p60 streams (much improved recently BTW) or I'll simply download Gamersyde's MP4 or WMV.

Look at the 60fps videos on Youtube. The quality is just fine for being able to watch without downloading.

Respawn

Banned
https://twitter.com/YTCreators/status/482322459413053442

RnbkJDg.png

Ya Mon
tumblr_mu2hiubAps1qlmdtco1_500.gif

Tu101uk

I don't usually use hashtag memes, but this news is a real #gamechanger. Gamersyde and this are (hopefully) gonna push games presentation on the Internet to the next level, especially for genres where 60fps is a mainstay, like fighting and racing games.

My Avermedia ExtremeCapU3 and GTX 760 with ShadowPlay are weeping with joy. Got a bunch of 60fps footage I can upload once it's up and running. Even a slightly lower compression isn't too bad, means I can upload longer vids.

Really excited at where things are going.

Lnds500

It'd be nice if they still have the original video files for 60fps videos which were downgraded to 30fps in the past.

atbigelow

Interesting thing: 720p will also display at 60 FPS. Wonder if they just figure 480p is low-res enough not to bother keeping the original framerate.

Either way, this is the best YouTube update.

Ty4on

You just can't please some people. Is this not a step in the right direction? Did you see the 60fps Titanfall video? It looks fine.
Couldn't stop myself :p
Interesting thing: 720p will also display at 60 FPS. Wonder if they just figure 480p is low-res enough not to bother keeping the original framerate.

Either way, this is the best YouTube update.

They may have changed it, but they used to tie audio quality to the quality settings so they've probably done the same with framerate for those with poor bandwidth.

I wish they didn't because I'm often somewhere with poor internet and would love to watch 360-480p in 60fps.

Had to re-enable hardware acceleration for flash on FireFox (which was borked in some version years ago) to get 60FPS. HTML 5 still doesn't work on Gamersyde for me with FF.

Top Bottom