• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro:LL supports SSAA, DX11 faster, tesselation modes: certain objects or everything

Momentary

Banned
I already got corrected earlier responded earlier that I would be wrong if this was just a cutscene and not actual physics running during gameplay.

Really made the scene less impressive when I realized this.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I already got corrected earlier responded earlier that I would be wrong if this was just a cutscene and not actual physics running during gameplay.

Really made the scene less impressive when I realized this.
Looks like it's real time, in engine.

MrBig

Looks like it's real time, in engine.

Yes, but that's not what I believe he was referring to. It's unlikely that the fidelity of the interaction in that gif can be created in real time. A character with a static animation is pulling it off, and you can see the cloth scrunching where he grabs it. Would be extremely difficult to dynamically have that interaction occur without a pre-made animated sequence for the cloth. It's cool but not really impressive in that case.

Daingurse

Optimization, good, good.. .

family-guy-good-good-o.gif

Durante

I agree with them that AA should be the responsibility of the programmer, but if you accept that then just offering FXAA on top of downscaling (that is, ordered grid ssaa) is a bit weak. Something like the higher SMAA modes is far more efficient. And it's perfectly possible to implement sparse sampling AA methods in DirectX 11.

Unrelated to the technical aspects but does anyone know when the embargo is? Can't believe it's coming out so soon, can't wait!

legacyzero

Banned
^This post worries me a bit since I'm buying a decent gaming rig for the upcoming next gen games like metro, bf4 and so on

Is it still a good idea to buy a EVGA gtx 670 ftw sig. edition?

Yeah, running some of the next gen tech demos (3D Mark 11), I'm worried too lol

shuri

Banned
^This post worries me a bit since I'm buying a decent gaming rig for the upcoming next gen games like metro, bf4 and so on

Dont worry, a 500$ pc will give you a solid 5 years of gaming, more or less

TheD

The Detective
I agree with them that AA should be the responsibility of the programmer, but if you accept that then just offering FXAA on top of downscaling (that is, ordered grid ssaa) is a bit weak. Something like the higher SMAA modes is far more efficient. And it's perfectly possible to implement sparse sampling AA methods in DirectX 11.

I am more worried about how it sounds like they are running 2 post AA effects on top of each other (AAA and FXAA).

Lingitiz

You'll be more than fine. I'll likely be playing this on a 460 and I don't have too many worries. I've been able to get lose to maxing out some games with such an old card.Of course I won't be able to max it out, but it will still look fantastic.

Your card is a noticeable step up from what's expected for next gen. Paired with an i5, it should be more than enough for a few years.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Only my GTX690 & SSD are ready. The rest of the components are warming up till release date so they don't self destruct. I don't know but for some reason I think it'll be a mess optimization wise...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What's AAA? Haven't heard of that one before and it's tough to Google since I don't know what it stands for.

Not too impressed, his hand clips right through the fabric and the physics seem "off"; too floaty or something. Is this PhysX?

What kills it for me is that the collision geometry the cloth is sliding on doesn't conform to the shape of the car. You can see like a big bump where the hood is and then when he pulls the cloth back there's nothing there.

Maybe it's nitpicking and not something you'd notice without a repeating gif.

XOMTOR

What kills it for me is that the collision geometry the cloth is sliding on doesn't conform to the shape of the car. You can see like a big bump where the hood is and then when he pulls the cloth back there's nothing there.

Maybe it's nitpicking and not something you'd notice without a repeating gif.

Yea, noticed the cloth doesn't correctly conform to the shape of the car either. I guess it is using PhysX which usually comes off looking a bit wonky.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I think we're going to see the rise of some new post processing techniques very quickly into the next generation. The TAA method that UE4 had in the Infiltrator tech demo was pretty impressive to me. A tad bit blurry but cleaned up jaggies quite well. I hope it's low enough impact to run on consoles. It'll be nice if it'll work on all platforms since it's built into the UE4 toolset. I also wonder if Sony is going to put any AA methods directly in its tools, like they did with their version of MLAA.

What's AAA? Haven't heard of that one before and it's tough to Google since I don't know what it stands for.

It's their own implementation since the Metro 2033 days. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-interview-metro-2033?page=2

Digital Foundry: Your engine is said to support MSAA, analytical anti-aliasing and even deferred super-sampling. Are all of these technologies in both 360 and PC builds of Metro 2033? How is super-sampling used, and what actual analysis technique do you use to detect edges? Does it use 2D screenspace or something better?

Oles Shishkovstov: The PC version has all of these techniques available (although we aren't sure yet what to allow in the final build). The 360 was running deferred rotated grid super-sampling for the last two years, but later we switched it to use AAA. That gave us back around 11MB of memory and dropped AA GPU load from a variable 2.5-3.0 ms to constant 1.4ms. The quality is quite comparable.

The AAA works slightly different from how you assume. It doesn't have explicit edge-detection. The closest explanation of the technique I can imagine would be that the shader internally doubles the resolution of the picture using pattern/shape detection (similar to morphological AA) and then scales it back to original resolution producing the anti-aliased version.

Because the window of pattern-detection is fixed and rather small in GPU implementation, the quality is slightly worse for near-vertical or near-horizontal edges than for example MLAA.

Top Bottom