• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Just started Yakuza 5. Can someone tell me the song in the beginning, when the taxi driver is "revealed" to be kazuma?
I skipped through the whole soundtrack on YouTube, but the song was not there.

Edit: Oh, seems like it is a replacement song for "still the one" from the japanese version.

BOTEC

I just started up this game last night, and lost a bunch of hours to the taxi driving missions. I wish I'd know about this part of the game sooner (part of that is on me since I never watched any trailers or pre-release coverage). I've always wanted an open world game that rewarded good driving. Too bad the area is so small and featureless

IrishNinja

^haha right? its crazy addicting for something you wouldn't think would be. i finished it up and had to play Tokyo Bus Guide on DC, haha

BOTEC

11 hours later I finished Kiryu's chapter. Just heard on the radio
Majima's dead!?
Legit shocked if this stays true. Don't tell me, I want to find out myself. This fucking game is GOOD!

BOTEC

I just spent Sunday hunting bears on a mountain.
And then punched the big one the fuck out.
This game just keeps getting better. Seriously, why wasn't this on more GOTY lists?

I just spent Sunday hunting bears on a mountain.
And then punched the big one the fuck out.
This game just keeps getting better. Seriously, why wasn't this on more GOTY lists?

Digital only release in the west, and in December 2015 when everyone had pretty much moved on to the PS4 :(

Hopefully the inclusion on PS+ is gonna help get more people interested in the series, particularly for Y0.

BOTEC

Digital only release in the west, and in December 2015 when everyone had pretty much moved on to the PS4 :(

Hopefully the inclusion on PS+ is gonna help get more people interested in the series, particularly for Y0.

Yeah, you're right. The timing and circumstances of its release sucked. Hell, that's why it's taken me this long to finally get into it.

BOTEC

Just finished Saejima's chapter and started up Haruka. Saejima started off strong, the prison and jailbreak/mountain side were cool, but once it got to the city it felt shallow. There story missions were lame, and the sidequests weren't very interesting either.
Except for the one where you had to fight a bear, but I already did that on the mountain, and it had way more impact there than saving a few passersby from an escaped zoo animal.
Hopefully that story line goes places by the finale.

Haruka is a lot of fun so far. The rhythm minigames as battles are great. I have one question though. There is no time limit on story quests right? I can do all the other events on the schedule and the story quest will just wait for me to click on it. Another words, I can't fail it by taking too damn long?

Just finished Saejima's chapter and started up Haruka. Saejima started off strong, the prison and jailbreak/mountain side were cool, but once it got to the city it felt shallow. There story missions were lame, and the sidequests weren't very interesting either.
Except for the one where you had to fight a bear, but I already did that on the mountain, and it had way more impact there than saving a few passersby from an escaped zoo animal.
Hopefully that story line goes places by the finale.

Haruka is a lot of fun so far. The rhythm minigames as battles are great. I have one question though. There is no time limit on story quests right? I can do all the other events on the schedule and the story quest will just wait for me to click on it. Another words, I can't fail it by taking too damn long?

Yes. You can play any chapter of the game at your own pace. No reason to rush yourself.

jett

D-Member
6 months ago I abandoned this game after reaching the Shinada chapter. In the last few days I acutally went back and finished this sunnavabitch.

In the end, it was the same ol' Yakuza. Intensely repetitive, archaic, lots of loading, moronic storyline. And yet charming and entertaining. Favorite part of the game was definitely the taxi missions.

All I can say is I'm super glad that you only play as Kiryu in Y6. I've had ENOUGH of having to level up multiple characters from the ground up several times, and having to do the same side-missions (restaurant crap, mentor training) every time. Even after six months in the backburner, everything felt repetitive. I think I liked Y4 more, that didn't wear out its welcome as much as this game.

Honestly, sadly, my interest in Y6 has gone down a bit after being reminded what Yakuza really is like. :p

IrishNinja

ahh im giving you shit, i just personally like the variety the extra characters & their tasks add to the series - with 6, that'll be 4 games of just kazzy. i'm gonna miss kicking dudes 80 thousand times with akiyama.

I'm up to Part 5 Chapter 4 now, a.k.a. my last chance to play as Haruka, and I'm trying to get everything done with her. I was originally going to go for 100%, but it's only in the last few hours of play that I've really come to appreciate the nightmarish chasm of gameplay hours yawning ahead of me, and I don't think I can face it. I'm closing in on 70 hours and I'm only at 42% :p

But I figure I might always get a spark of motivation a few months down the line, so my plan is to get Haruka's stuff squared away now in case I ever want to come back and finish off the rest. Right now I just want to see the end of the story, because my hype levels are at maximum. 5-3 spoilers:
A rooftop showdown with four consecutive one-motion shirt/jacket/tie removals, two consecutive bossfights, and then Kiryu and Saejima decide to duke it out just for funsies? I'm in Yakuza heaven here. I can't wait to see what the actual final chapter has to offer.

DrKelpo

Banned
Ok, so relatively at the beginning of the Haruka section when you start your career, you get a job performing in some back alley. Concrete all around and you stand on some stained plates of plywood.

For some reason, I need a screenshot of that alley or at least the name of the "quest".

Please help me out, Gaf.

cj_iwakura

Ok, so relatively at the beginning of the Haruka section when you start your career, you get a job performing in some back alley. Concrete all around and you stand on some stained plates of plywood.

For some reason, I need a screenshot of that alley or at least the name of the "quest".

Please help me out, Gaf.
It's the lower southwest corner, right? Morbidly curious about why.

DrKelpo

Banned
It's the lower southwest corner, right? Morbidly curious about why.

found it.
0wAmAb3.png

uuuhm..... reasons..

Double post but it's for a good cause. Can anyone help, I've encountered a potentially game-ruining bug.

The game keeps getting stuck in an endless loading screen loop whenever Haruka and Ms.Park go to Club SEGA for the story mission where they go shopping.

I've tried reloading a previous save and heading to club SEGA on my own and it works but for some reason this story mission is the only place it happens.

Using a 160 GB Slim and my copy of the game is digital (PS+) if it makes a difference.

played 50 hours of this thing when it released, stopped during akiyama's chapters, picked it up again this week, put another 15 hours into it.

Just past the 4 man rooftop battle

yknow, i played every god damn yakuza game released in english to completion (except dead souls, cuz really, a man's gotta have a limit for jank), and if there is one thing that still pisses me off about the series, it is how it doesn't give a single fuck about creating a fast interface.

They released 7 yakuzas on ps3, and everything related to item management and saving remains a slow, plodding, royal pain the ass. Just....why? Why in god's name would you keep making it so god damn slow? Even when the coliseum finally opened up, everything continues to be sluggish. You got a load for all the fighters, then another load for the title card, then another load for the fight, then the intro, then the fight finally starts, then the enemy has gobs and gobs of health even if you're nuking them with saejima, then there's the win animation, then there's the post fight scorecard, then you're finally dropped in the hallway again. God fucking damn it. Always cleared the coliseum, but i just can't take this kinda shit anymore.

Heck, even when you're gonna open the lockers, there's an animation for opening the thing, then you get a splash screen with the item, then you get a message that your inventory is full, then you finally get the menu to send the item to the item box. Everything is just...sluggish, and there's no god damn reason why it should be.

Fuck's sake, makes me concerned for yak 0, because i just can't see myself stomaching this kinda shit for 50 hours again.

I'm nearly at the very end of the game and basically tying up loose ends at this point....

Can anyone tell me what the best time-to-reward-ratio unlocks I should do if I haven't already (upgrades, moves, weapons, whatever)? I've already done Tatsuya's sidequests for all characters. I just found out IF8R will unlock more heat bars and you can earn soul points, so I might try that out with all the characters.

The Coliseum just unlocked for me but haven't spent any time there.

Not really looking to 100% this, just to get the best return on my time.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This game went from Shenmue to Hatsune Miku real quick

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow, Shinada's chapter is depressing. I think I might like his area the most out of all of the places I've visited so far (although the snowy city Saejima visited was nice, too).

IrishNinja

Wow, Shinada's chapter is depressing. I think I might like his area the most out of all of the places I've visited so far (although the snowy city Saejima visited was nice, too).

yeah, he's the brokenst dude you know! it gets more uplifting as it goes, and not just with bootycalls

SolVanderlyn

Beat the game. Loved it, even if it felt a bit bloated.

Why did Haruka quit her idol career? It makes no sense to me... the ending felt rushed.

Why did Haruka quit her idol career? It makes no sense to me... the ending felt rushed.

Because she had to completely cut herself off from Kiryu and hide any connection to him in order to keep her career going. She decided that she would rather have a life with him in it than live that career cut off from the people she loved.

BOTEC

Finished it last night. +70 hours, 18% completion, wut?

It starts off strong, the first three chapters are great. However I had to force myself to get through the washed-up baseball guy chapter. That was dumb (in a bad way) at every level.
Dojima shows up out of the blue because they went to the same high school together, and helps him expose the crime syndicate that's made up of bartenders and sex workers that got him kicked out of baseball. The fuck?
The finale was predictable J-melodrama, but getting to finally stomp all those dudes faces into the pavement was satisfying. I agree on the ending though. It felt like the developers suddenly realized they were out of time and just rolled the credits. Everything else got a 15 minute long exposition scene, why couldn't that part? Overall, I can't help but feel the game is "good," not "great." Still, bring on 0.

Finished it last night. +70 hours, 18% completion, wut?

It starts off strong, the first three chapters are great. However I had to force myself to get through the washed-up baseball guy chapter. That was dumb (in a bad way) at every level.
Dojima shows up out of the blue because they were went to high school together, and helps him expose the crime syndicate that's made up of bartenders and sex workers. The fuck?
The finale was predictable J-melodrama, but getting to finally stomp all those dudes faces into the pavement was satisfying. I agree on the ending though. It felt like the developers suddenly realized they were out of time and just rolled the credits. Everything else got a 15 minute long exposition scene, why couldn't that part? Overall, I can't help but feel the game is "good," not "great." Still, bring on 0.

Believe me when I say that 0 is going to seem like a game dropped from the heavens compared to 5. The pacing is some of the tightest I've seen in Yakuza, and the story is just phenomenal.

Finishing this up before I play 0 and God the Haruka chapter is awful. Just as bad as the orphanage stuff from 3.

Whoever thought it was a good idea was hoefully fired.

Tenrius

I'm 94 hours in and I JUST got Akiyama for the first time. I don't really understand why it's taking me longer than most people in this thread/howlongtobeat.com.

IrishNinja

I'm 94 hours in and I JUST got Akiyama for the first time. I don't really understand why it's taking me longer than most people in this thread/howlongtobeat.com.

im gonna assume you've been doing every substory/completion thing up to that point? either that or you left the game on pause for a while, haha

Finished the game! Ending thoughts:

Aizawa, of all people, as the final big boss is maybe the dumbest thing I've seen in a Yakuza game. Doubly so because after all of the shit Kurosawa pulled, all of the backstabbing and skullduggery and whatnot, Aizawa's basically like "lol I don't care about Tojo vs. Omi and also I stabbed my best dude because he said I wasn't as good as you Kiryu lol." You have basically no motivation as a player to beat Aizawa into the ground aside from "this guy's a dick, he's kind of asking for it."

Can I just say, though, that I actually love the comedy club minigame even though I don't understand Japanese? Like, it's interesting to finally run across a Yakuza minigame that really does suffer from the lack of English VA, and despite that you still get the sense of how the comedic timing is supposed to work. Also it's fun watching Haruka yell at people, she never gets to do that in her main story.

Tenrius

im gonna assume you've been doing every substory/completion thing up to that point? either that or you left the game on pause for a while, haha

All available substories, side stories (Saejima took forever, although I still have a couple of contract jobs to through) and quite a bit of mini games / hostess clubs as well. I mean, isn't this the way to play these games?! (I play all of them except 0, but I'm getting straight to that after I finish 5). I think I left the game running for like 8 hours at one point, too, but that doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I'm 107 hours in now. Just got to the Shinada part and it's a refreshing change of pace.

BOTEC

All available substories, side stories (Saejima took forever, although I still have a couple of contract jobs to through) and quite a bit of mini games / hostess clubs as well. I mean, isn't this the way to play these games?! (I play all of them except 0, but I'm getting straight to that after I finish 5). I think I left the game running for like 8 hours at one point, too, but that doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I'm 107 hours in now. Just got to the Shinada part and it's a refreshing change of pace.

I played like that in the previous installments, and burned out after a ton of hours. The only Yakuza game I actually managed to finish is 5, and that was after I decided to mainline the story and skip the side stuff after like 40 hours. At some point there is just too much content in there. I'm currently playing through 0, going from story beat to story beat, and occasionally doing side stuff if it pops up in front of me. That feels like a better way to play that game.

Blastoise

Banned
I know this is a bit of a bump. But....

Finishing this up before I play 0 and God the Haruka chapter is awful. Just as bad as the orphanage stuff from 3.

Whoever thought it was a good idea was hoefully fired.

This is a real big problem for me. Haruka's chapter has knocked out all the wind from this game. I was pretty happy with the pacing before this (yes even the hunting stuff).

Is it ok if I just do story missions with her, will anything negative happen?

I really hate the dancing and singing gameplay.

cj_iwakura

I know this is a bit of a bump. But....

This is a real big problem for me. Haruka's chapter has knocked out all the wind from this game. I was pretty happy with the pacing before this (yes even the hunting stuff).

Is it ok if I just do story missions with her, will anything negative happen?

I really hate the dancing and singing gameplay.
Just means her final battles will be harder. The missions give lots of practice and abilities.

Blastoise

Banned
Ok thanks.

The sub stories about shaking hands and dancing for corperate events is creepy. I don't know if that was the intention, but I'm not enjoying it at all.

cj_iwakura

Ok thanks.

The sub stories about shaking hands and dancing for corperate events is creepy. I don't know if that was the intention, but I'm not enjoying it at all.

It's pretty intentional. It's a glimpse at how ugly idol life is. The only ones worth doing are her sidestories on the street. The jobs suck.

Running Girl is ultra creepy.

Blastoise

Banned
Okay so eventually the Haruka chapter opened up. I thought the jobs in the schedule were the only missions she could do.

So I finished most of her story. I'm half way through Part 3
and my favourite character showed up and is playable!

So I'm back to being happy with this game. Still don't like the Haruka gameplay tho.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I understand now how this game feels bloated, I'm only up to Chapter 4 of Act 1 and it feels like everywhere I go I'm filled with all this extra padding. Recommending restaurants, Fight Club, Noodle mini game, trash collector, Revelations (ok so they're in all the games but still, they come pretty early).... I dread to think how many more once the locker keys, tickets and other characters unlock.

I do regret starting on Normal difficulty, the last 2 I played on hard but this seems a walk in the park and after 15hrs game play I can't be arsed restarting in Hard. Plus Kiryu is already level 16. Probably have them all up to 20 by the end of the game.

Gen X

So is the Trophy for acquiring the Taxi decal missable? I read you need to be level 24 or 25 and after completing all the Taxi missions and races in Chapter 1 I'm only at level 22. Do you get more taxi missions later in the game or is that it?

evilalien

So is the Trophy for acquiring the Taxi decal missable? I read you need to be level 24 or 25 and after completing all the Taxi missions and races in Chapter 1 I'm only at level 22. Do you get more taxi missions later in the game or is that it?

Do free races to max out your level.

Gen X

Do free races to max out your level.

I tried that and thought I just got points to spend on car bling as I didn't see the Level Bar screen after the race like you do on all other missions. Probably too late now, I'm busy smashing bears and taking names with Saejima.

Top Bottom