• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafy

Drake Haven
rneu32dixjpy.jpg

Suddenly the cycle lands make a bit more sense. Since this also works with discard, do we have any good discard cards in standard that go with this?

DrArchon

On one hand it's a card that does absolutely nothing on it's own. On the other hand, 3 mana for a 2/2 flyer and a card is an amazing deal.

If you grab enough cycling cards or, God forbid, some way to cycle/discard any card, you'll dominate in limited.

Supast4r

With all of these -1/1 counters, I would heavily consider buying Melira since she gets rid of them for modern.

With all of these -1/1 counters, I would heavily consider buying Melira since she gets rid of them for modern.

I mean, that would require enough of the -1/-1 counter cards to be Modern playable. Even with previous -1/-1 sets that seems very questionable. Additionally, several cards here want -1/-1 counters on them so that's a bit anti-synergy.

Hero

It's too early to read much into things. We've basically seen Limited fodder, the cycle lands (which are legit), and a few random cards of which a couple might be Standard playable. Overall just a single mythic and a smattering of rares which have mostly seemed decent combined with a ton of commons and uncommons.

Yeah that's why I said 'so far.' Between Invocations being a huge miss and the first day of spoilers being pretty much, I'm not feeling the excitement. Today's cards are more interesting.

The only underwhelming things have been the borders and fonts for the Invocations and one of the 5 gods. Everything else has been fine, be it the new dual lands or the limited fodder we've been shown.

I'd wait a couple more days before throwing the entire set in the dumpster.

I just said 'so far.' The cycling lands are the best part for sure, everything has been under or just whelming.

DrArchon

Yesterday I was brainstorming the most boring God designs I could come up with, and I basically hit the nail on the head with the Blue one. It's just so... "Yep, that's a blue card."

Obviously a good card because, hey, 5/5 flying indestructible for 3 that can also draw cards isn't terrible by any stretch, but I wish that they were a bit more interesting.

OnPoint

How is stricly better? They are extremely different.

I think paying 4 to put two cards in your hand is good when you're trying to get to 7+. Plus you can return cycling lands to your hand late game to replace them with action. Plus it's a 5/5 flier, plus it costs one less.

Tunoku

Blue God has one important stat: 5 toughness
Key in a format with Avacyn and Heart of Kiran
It might be solid in Copy Cat as a lot of the cards in that deck replace themselves, but there's probably no room for it. I really wonder how popular all these Gods are gonna end up being in Standard. It works with Cycling, so yay?

That cycling Banishing Light is dope.

I should get excited about Essence Scatter, but it doesn't stop vehicles.

The mana dork is really cool design and probably my favorite card in the set so far.

EDIT: Funny how weird this set seems while having the most boring flagship cards.

It might be solid in Copy Cat as a lot of the cards in that deck replace themselves, but there's probably no room for it. I really wonder how popular all these Gods are gonna end up being in Standard. It works with Cycling, so yay?

That cycling Banishing Light is dope.

I should get excited about Essence Scatter, but it doesn't stop vehicles.

The mana dork is really cool design and probably my favorite card in the set so far.
They are indestructible. Toughness only matters for -/- effects/counters and cards like Bunr from Within or Bonds of Mortality.

5 toughness doesn't matter for those examples because it's Indestructible anyway. And, to be clear, when I say it's terrible I mean it's an awkward as hell card with a generally bad ability but which I also think has a decent chance of being in a top Standard deck because it's janky in just the right ways to allow that. It's actually a somewhat interesting card but, like its perverted friend, it's not going to excite the average player. So far we have two gods that seem to be either Spike cards or unplayable.

Rafy

With the gods being so boring so far, I hope that the planeswalkers are more interesting.

Edit: I updated my translation of the blue god card. It's full name is Kefnet the Careful

y2dvd

Open Heart will hit a lot of targets and should replace Transgress whenever it rotates out.

The split cards are still hella fugly imo. The bottom half is just a wall of text. I guess the thought as demonstrated in the spotlight is to turn it vertically in the graveyard so you can view it clearly. Problem is most players turn cards sideways to indicate a card has been exiled from the graveyard instead. And although you can play both spells in one turn, I’m guessing you can’t cast the sorcery portion alongside the instant spell at well…instant speed. Would be cool if a kicker cost would allow you to do so.

I love Channeler Initiate. It feels push and probably should’ve been a defender. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re all bitching about this card in the near future lol.

Does Temmet have a place in Bant Tokens?

What’s that 5cmc bird in Revolt that gives +1/+1 and vigilance to creatures you control? Tah-Crop Elite seems just as good, if not better for being 1cmc less.

Winding Constrictor additional counter isn’t a may ability. The BG Constrictor deck is gonna get hosed.

Exemplar of Strength may find a home if there are ways to cheat removing counters faster. I mean, it’s virtually a 3/3 for 2cmc by the time it gets to attack.

Not sure what to think of blue god. Seems pretty tough to have 7 cards in hand, and that’s even in older formats with way better card draws. Should be easy in commander though.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Yesterday I was brainstorming the most boring God designs I could come up with, and I basically hit the nail on the head with the Blue one. It's just so... "Yep, that's a blue card."

Obviously a good card because, hey, 5/5 flying indestructible for 3 that can also draw cards isn't terrible by any stretch, but I wish that they were a bit more interesting.

Alot of the UR Tower control decks could use this, they routinely have a full hand. Also I hope they make an Ebony Owl reprint (or just with Egyptian flavor) so OWLING MINE comes back to standard.

This card is cool and would be a fun 1-of in Mono-U Turns instead of Thassa but they are pretty comparable.

I just built turns and there is essentially 3 flex slots depending on how many Exhaustion/Gigadrowse you run. I was going to use the Fate Reforged time warp, but I was thinking about using Thassa as another win con that also set ups your Miracles.

Crocodile

75% of cycling cards in the past have been garbage or limited fodder in part because WOTC said they didn't want to put cycling on too many "good" cards and force awkward decisions. So far in this set, almost all the cycling cards have been great on their own and not overcosted. Has WOTC's design philosophy changed with regard to cycling?

Like 4 mana for a Banishing Light with flash isn't overcosted, its fairly costed. However it gets cycling too? I feel that wouldn't have happened in past sets.

The worst part about Kefnet is that it's a dumb big beater. Are all gods supposed to be that if you fulfill their conditions? Will none of them have their power be in their activated ability over their statline?

Does a set really need 5 mythics that are big dumb beaters?
Why do I like saying dumb beater so much?

A_Dang

...when will this spoiler season actually get exciting?

While there was excitement leading up to and during the Invocations getting spoiled they whiffed in a major way.

The two spoiled gods have been poorly received.

Aftermath cards have been underwhelming and were highly criticized for their template.

The good things from this spoiler season have been: the rule change about the CMC of split cards, Cycling returning and the cycling land cycle.

I'm not a big Limited guy, or Standard even, so I'm probably missing some good stuff...but for me I'm already just trying to pick out stuff that will fit into some of my Commander decks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alot of the UR Tower control decks could use this, they routinely have a full hand. Also I hope they make an Ebony Owl reprint (or just with Egyptian flavor) so OWLING MINE comes back to standard.

This card is cool and would be a fun 1-of in Mono-U Turns instead of Thassa but they are pretty comparable.

I just built turns and there is essentially 3 flex slots depending on how many Exhaustion/Gigadrowse you run. I was going to use the Fate Reforged time warp, but I was thinking about using Thassa as another win con that also set ups your Miracles.
It's a version of the bog standard blue finisher because blue isn't allowed to do anything different.

Santiako

I think paying 4 to put two cards in your hand is good when you're trying to get to 7+. Plus you can return cycling lands to your hand late game to replace them with action. Plus it's a 5/5 flier, plus it costs one less.

Yeah, but that's not what strictly better means. Like, if you are late game with no hand Hazoret is better, if you need some reach Hazoret is better, if you are topdecking Hazoret is better, etc

I think Kefnet is probably better, yeah, but not strictly better as there are times where you'd prefer to have Hazoret.

alternade

So 0-2 on these god cards. Did they seriously think that people would be excited for slapped on mechanics that require you to be behind on board just to have a big dumb beater?

Watch this happen
Black God - Be behind in life to attack
Green God - IDK have the weakest creature to attack
White God - Have less creatures to attack

Even that W/U legend is bizarre.. Pump a token??

Nah I think Hazoret is better. Easier to get live and a better beater because it attacks right away.
You don't need card advantage when you're closing out the game already and discard has a ton of synergy.

OnPoint

Yeah, but that's not what strictly better means. Like, if you are late game with no hand Hazoret is better, if you need some reach Hazoret is better, if you are topdecking Hazoret is better, etc

I think Kefnet is probably better, yeah, but not strictly better as there are times where you'd prefer to have Hazoret.

I think one more toughness for one less mana for easier to use and more all-around useful abilities is better, I guess except if you're in a situation where you need reach. If that one situation makes it not strictly, then I sit corrected.

I do think it's interesting how directly they wouldn't play well together in the same deck, though. Really makes you have to pick your god and devote yourself to them. It's really cool flavorwise.

ultron87

So 0-2 on these god cards. Did they seriously think that people would be excited for slapped on mechanics that require you to be behind on board just to have a big dumb beater?

Watch this happen
Black God - Be behind in life to attack
Green God - IDK have the weakest creature to attack
White God - Have less creatures to attack

Even that W/U legend is bizarre.. Pump a token??

I'm not sure how both "have lots of cards" and "having no cards" gets you to "behind on board". One I could see, but not both. I think the template is pretty well set at this point in that it'll require a not completely common circumstance that is appropriate, and good, for the color and the activated ability will help you get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom