• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaTen x Fire Emblem announced (Wii U)

Roman

Question: Does this mean that SMT, much like Dragon Quest, is likely to be released on Nintendo systems now?

You mean like these?

MIDevilSurvivor_cover.JPG
Shin_Megami_Tensei_Devil_Survivor_2.jpg
SMTStrangeJourneyJPcover.jpg
31-shin-megami-tensei-iv-2.jpeg

You mean like these?

devilsurvivor3ds_faithful_boxartreveal-1-300x272.jpg
shin_megami_tensei_strange_journey_ds_box.jpg
06-devil-summoner-soul-hackers-2.jpg

Oh you edited in Strange Journey lol

Yea really, Nintendo has all the Megatens now:

Devil Survivor
Devil Survivor 2
Devil Survivor Overclocked
SMT Strange Journey
SMT 4
Devil Summoner Soul Hackers

All Playstation has on PSP and Vita is the Persona series

Persona 1 Portable
Persona 2 Innocent Sin
Persona 2 Eternal Punihsment
Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden

Heh, that was kind of a dumb question, I know. Still, I'm amazed that Nintendo went for something like SMT, what with Mara and all :p
Tho I think it would be unfair if Nintendo also went for Persona 5... Imagine the outrage.

devilsurvivor3ds_faithful_boxartreveal-1-300x272.jpg
shin_megami_tensei_strange_journey_ds_box.jpg
06-devil-summoner-soul-hackers-2.jpg

Oh you edited in Strange Journey lol

Yea really, Nintendo has all the Megatens now:

Devil Survivor
Devil Survivor 2
Devil Survivor Overclocked
SMT Strange Journey
SMT 4
Devil Summoner Soul Hackers

All Playstation has on PSP and Vita is the Persona series

Persona 1 Portable
Persona 2 Innocent Sin
Persona 2 Eternal Punihsment
Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner was on the PSP
But that was like nearly a decade ago
iOS and Android have SMT1 and SMT2 :D

Roman

Heh, that was kind of a dumb question, I know. Still, I'm amazed that Nintendo went for something like SMT, what with Mara and all :p
Tho I think it would be unfair if Nintendo also went for Persona 5... Imagine the outrage.

Yes. Imagine. I hear there is betrayalton talk on 2ch.

Personally I think P5 on Wii U (even as multiplat) is unlikely, with what that series released on this gen. Atlus just doesn't jump on platforms this fast. But who knows...

The "big 4" legacy JRPG franchises all started on Nintendo (FF, DQ and MegaTen on Famicom, Tales on Super Famicom) so it makes sense Nintendo would be eager to have them all come back "home". Especially given the losses they had in the 64-bit era.

The "big 4" legacy JRPG franchises all started on Nintendo (FF, DQ and MegaTen on Famicom, Tales on Super Famicom) so it makes sense Nintendo would be eager to have them all come back "home". Especially given the losses they had in the 64-bit era.

Heh, funny.
Nintendo kept Dragon Quest and MegaTen and Sony kept Final Fantasy and Tales of (Kind of)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yes. Imagine. I hear there is betrayalton talk on 2ch.

Personally I think P5 on Wii U (even as multiplat) is unlikely, with what that series released on this gen. Atlus just doesn't jump on platforms this fast. But who knows...
Seems silly to skip over Wii U, considering. It seems pretty likely it'll be on 360, and SMT's got infinitely more cache with Nintendo fans than it does with MS fans.

Codeblue

Stealing our games.

I don't know about P5, but I think there will be a lot more "DQIX for DS" type anger this generation. Japan has gone heavily for the 3DS so far. If the PS4 doesn't do big numbers then a lot of JP studios will probably choose to put their games that rely heavily on home market sales on the system that has the largest userbase and the cheapest development cost.

randomkid

I do not support the inclusion of Tales in any sort of legacy "Big 4" RPG franchise category.

I do not support this one bit.

Including Megaten means sales are irrelevant to this categorization, so #4 would be Phantasy Star in any case.

Roman

Seems silly to skip over Wii U, considering. It seems pretty likely it'll be on 360, and SMT's got infinitely more cache with Nintendo fans than it does with MS fans.

Based on what? Did I miss something?

Stealing our games.

I don't know about P5, but I think there will be a lot more "DQIX for DS" type anger this generation. Japan has gone heavily for the 3DS so far. If the PS4 doesn't do big numbers then a lot of JP studios will probably choose to put their games that rely heavily on home market sales on the system that has the largest userbase and the cheapest development cost.

It will all depend on PS4 price and focus. I agree in that I think we'll see more and more symptoms of Nintendo dominating that region and being very aggressive with 3rd parties.

Realistically I can see Japan to either stay with PS3DS for a while or gradually move from PS3 to Wii U since it's a similar incremental upgrade as PSP to 3DS.

Based on what? Did I miss something?

It will all depend on PS4 price and focus. I agree in that I think we'll see more and more symptoms of Nintendo dominating that region and being very aggressive with 3rd parties.

Realistically I can see Japan to either stay with PS3DS for a while or gradually move from PS3 to Wii U since it's a similar incremental upgrade as PSP to 3DS.

I'm guessing he means because Catherine was PS360 and aren't P studio using the engine from that to make P5?

I do not support the inclusion of Tales in any sort of legacy "Big 4" RPG franchise category.

Including Megaten means sales are irrelevant to this categorization, so #4 would be Phantasy Star in any case.
If we are including Phantasy Star, then Sony still gets it.
PSP got Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2, and Vita got Phantasy Star Online 2. I believe that the Phantasy Star Collection or something was recently released on PSN and I assume it was released on the PS2 originally. Still, Phantasy Star also gets around since Xbox had Phantasy Star Universe and (I think) PSO2 is available on PC, not to mention the GameCube had a few Phantasy Star games. All the DS got was Phantasy Star Zero tho.

Roman

I'm guessing he means because Catherine was PS360 and aren't P studio using the engine from that to make P5?

No, they are using a new internal one.

Hashino shared one technical bit about P5. For Catherine, Team Persona made use of a third party engine. They've since completed work on their own engine. With this new internal engine, Hashino believes that converting their ideas into game form will go considerably smooth.

Nintendo systems have actually always been Megaten's console home, with the exception of 3 games during the PS2 era. Megami Tensei was a Famicom game, and Shin Megami Tensei 1&2 debuted on Super Famicom and were only later ported to other systems. Nocturne is the only main line SMT game that didn't begin life on a Nintendo console.

randomkid

If we are including Phantasy Star, then Sony still gets it.
PSP got Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2, and Vita got Phantasy Star Online 2. I believe that the Phantasy Star Collection or something was recently released on PSN and I assume it was released on the PS2 originally. Still, Phantasy Star also gets around since Xbox had Phantasy Star Universe and (I think) PSO2 is available on PC, not to mention the GameCube had a few Phantasy Star games. All the DS got was Phantasy Star Zero tho.

Sure, sure, I wasn't really following this platform discussion, I mainly wanted an excuse to denigrate Tales. And like the post above says, mainline Megaten has a storied history of going to successful platforms in Japan, so 3DS is not a surprise. Weird spinoffs like this one can go wherever though, whether its the Wii U or Xbox or the PC or Saturn.

Fire Emblem already has its own made up religions and has had the player fighting gods and demons already, so that's probably what they'll do in this one, just make up a religion for an SMT-type deal so they can avoid ratings trouble. Those goddess icons gotta come from somewhere.

Fire Emblem already has its own made up religions and has had the player fighting gods and demons already, so that's probably what they'll do in this one, just make up a religion for an SMT-type deal so they can avoid ratings trouble. Those goddess icons gotta come from somewhere.
After all the discussion of how fucked up Fire Emblem can be, this crossover does not seem so strange anymore.
Breaking up srs discussion because lol:
is she looking at his horrible shoes or what

Come back to me when Phantasy Star is an RPG again. Tales is a big fucking deal.

Dantis

Nothing to do with the topic, but I'm curious, did you sell your Wii U?

Nope, fortunately. I figured there'd be either an Atlus game or a Fatal Frame at some point, so I might as well keep it, else I'd just be buying another one further down the line (Minus the scratches, I guess).

Never expected to hear anything so soon though. I'd be absolutely kicking myself if I'd sold it now.

As an aside, I got Ninja Gaiden 3 for it, and I'm loving that at least, so that's something.

Itll be an MP only 1 v 1 SRPG where one picks SMT and one picks FE.

It had bloody well better not be. :(

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Tales gets around. I bet they'll do a Wii U one at some point. Vesperia was a 360 game, 'fer Christ's sake, that's not even supposed to be an option.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Symphonia remake for Wii U at this years Tales fest. 10th anniversary for one of the more popular instalments should at least see something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Symphonia remake for Wii U at this years Tales fest. 10th anniversary for one of the more popular instalments should at least see something.

They should just port that game to Wii U, 360 and PS3. Release it digitally, maybe even retail in Japan. Everyone loves HD remakes.

Oh, wait. Scamco. Hmmm. :/

Tiu Neo

Nope, fortunately. I figured there'd be either an Atlus game or a Fatal Frame at some point, so I might as well keep it, else I'd just be buying another one further down the line (Minus the scratches, I guess).

Never expected to hear anything so soon though. I'd be absolutely kicking myself if I'd sold it now.

Haha, good. And yes, Ninja Gaiden 3 is really good, really underrated game. I skipped it on the PS3 because of all the hate, glad I got it for the Wii U.

Perfect title for Fire Emblem Musou.

Ohhhh, I want this :O

Dantis

Haha, good. And yes, Ninja Gaiden 3 is really good, really underrated game. I skipped it on the PS3 because of all the hate, glad I got it for the Wii U.

I have the 360 version. It's really, really bad. Razor's Edge is great fun though. If you ignore the awful bosses (Which are carried over from the original, and not feasibly fixable, I guess?), I'd probably put it on par with NG2 in terms of how much I enjoy playing it.

Please look forward to a surprising scoop in this week's famitsu!

I'M ALREADY HYPED.

A.E Suggs

As an aside, I got Ninja Gaiden 3 for it, and I'm loving that at least, so that's something.
See things really do come to those who wait :D. That and its not like there wasn't ever going to be other games that wouldn't at least catch your eye.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Stealing our games.

I think when DQXI inevitably gets announced for 3DS, people won't be nearly as upset since they will (well, they should) be expecting it.

DONT EVEN JOKE. SMTIV was already depressing enough. This should be the first HD next-gen[ish] game for both SMT and FE, right? THERE CAN'T BE SPRITES. EVER. XD

I can only hope they don't use sprites, seriously.
Also, I hope they don't use the little legs thing they did with FE A.

I don't think I can wait for E3 now :/

I wonder how it'll look graphically?

So long as they make some sort of effort to make the character models okay and not just have nice portraits, I will be content.

Never played an SMT game so I can't comment on those games, but I was severly disappointed in IS last main console effort with the character models in Radiant Dawn

At least, Awakening's models (barring the feet) looks good.

Top Bottom