• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I am really surprised with how precise and tight the controls are. Even though the spacebar controls everything and more I never have any issues with it. Anytime anything goes wrong its cause I screwed up by panicking or by not paying attention.

The English Conquistador said:
Is the sentinel any good? I mentioned earlier that I've unlocked a Turian one, but I haven't had the chance to test it just yet. My Engineer has been awesome so far, so it'll be tough changing to another character if the Sentinel ends up being a good class to play.

Theyre pretty good. Thats what I originally rolled with up to lvl 19. Tech Armor is shit, but having warp and throw makes you a biotic bomb fiend and the Turian Sentinel is pretty nice for having both Warp and Overload cause you always have an option with enemy defenses and you get a big bonus to your shields. Otherwise theyre not exactly the masters of anything, so if you prefer Biotic explosions go with an Adept, if you like being in the fray and messing fools up go with the Vanguard.

aranth

I just found out that charging an Atlas with a vanguard is a really bad idea. The biotic charge usually staggers them for a second, but sometimes it fails and the Atlas just grabs you and crushes your body without a chance to escape. When the stagger works its just funny and absurdily op, charge Atlas to nova, step back while the cooldown refreshes and repeat the charge.

Human vanguards are really fun to play, carrying a shotgun only the biotic charge has a 2 ish second cooldown. You can abuse the charge to nova to charge (or nova, charge to refresh the shield and nova again) and only fear turrets and missed charges that inexplicably fail and leave you defenseless. Vanguards lose their shine on gold though, going on melee range with all the phantoms and guardians is quite suicidal and the charge/nova damage is not enough to be a good trade-off.

exYle

So I was playing with randoms last night and one of them pulled an exploit where, by getting out of the map, the rest of us experienced immediately recharging health - almost to the point of invincibility. It was hilarious - as a Vanguard, killing everything with only Novas.

Then we tried Gold with the same exploit. We lost. That's how impossible Gold is - even immediately regenerating health and shields, there are literally dozens of enemies running around with one hit kill capabilities.

Just played another round as vanguard and figured I'd charge spam the atlas to see how long I'd last. Turns out if you've maximized powers force you can actually stun lock them which is hilarious.

Okay, I have a question about reinforcement packs; I unlocked the Salarian Infiltrator a while ago (by the way, he fucks shit up so much, almost to the point where I'm willing to say he's OP) and I want to get more customization options for him. Will he show up in recruit packs more often, or will I have to get veteran packs again, hoping that it's either a new character or him?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Something I like; the points you get are proportionate to how much damage you do. So kill steals aren't irritating. :)

Yep. Even if you only get assist, you can still get a majority of the points for doing the most damage. I really do like that.

Walshicus

The Multiplayer in ME3's demo is maybe the best surprise I've had in gaming..

I went in with a sense of pure dread...

Came out singing about roses and daffodils etc.

An abrubt 180 degree turn that has left me stoked.

Bring on release day!.. hurry up!!

Same here! So nice to be wrong.

rozay

Banned
Something I like; the points you get are proportionate to how much damage you do. So kill steals aren't irritating. :)
Regardless, the score doesn't seem to matter as everyone's points are added up and distributed to everyone at the end. Don't know if the people who get pissy at me for charging and nova-ing enemies realize that or not.

Okay, I have a question about reinforcement packs; I unlocked the Salarian Infiltrator a while ago (by the way, he fucks shit up so much, almost to the point where I'm willing to say he's OP) and I want to get more customization options for him. Will he show up in recruit packs more often, or will I have to get veteran packs again, hoping that it's either a new character or him?
It's a "gold" item which I'm assuming is a rare or uncommon item, so he probably won't show up in recruit packs. I honestly have no idea though, but both times I've gotten one they were in veteran packs.

squidyj

Regardless, the score doesn't seem to matter as everyone's points are added up and distributed to everyone at the end. Don't know if the people who get pissy at me for charging and nova-ing enemies realize that or not.

Wait, you charge then you nova? :l

Smo21

am I doing it wrong?

level up the recharge and you can charge, nova, shoot for like 1 second and charge again. Unlock charge giving 100% barrier and shit gets crazy

BTW if you use Vanguard pistol with scope is the best, gives you range and a good hip fire weapon

rozay

Banned
level up the recharge and you can charge, nova, shoot for like 1 second and charge again. Unlock charge giving 100% barrier and shit gets crazy
I have the nova upgrade that makes it only use up 50% of my barrier, charge that restores 100% of my barrier and I run around with only a shotgun with the weight capacity upgrades or only a phalnax. The only time I die is if I'm an idiot and don't spot a turret.

Smo21

I have the nova upgrade that makes it only use up 50% of my barrier, charge that restores 100% of my barrier and I run around with only a shotgun with the weight capacity upgrades or only a phalnax. The only time I die is if I'm an idiot and don't spot a turret, and I don't think this is a viable playstyle above bronze.

I find if you work together you can agro the enemies while your team mates pick off. Asari adept + vanguard is to powerful.

Good lord;

-Adept
-Only one weapon (Carniflex IV)
-Recharge Time - 200%
-Shockwave & Warp fully upgraded

The_Biotic_God_Niftu_Cal_by_Fanimusmaximus.jpg

Can you unlock more than two races in the demo? I've unlocked a Krogan Solider and Drell Vanguard, haven't gotten anything since, though.

Also, headbutting a room full of guys to death is one of my new favorite things.

Good lord;

-Adept
-Recharge Time - 200%

Thank god right? Biotic was so boring in ME2... and it seems like (at least in the MP) that Health plays a bigger role. In ME2, once you get them down to health (finally can use biotics) it just took a few shots to kill em so there wasnt any point of the fancy stuff.

Neki

only reason I don't like engineers is because I get exposed by phantoms. incinerate + cryo blast do nothing against barriers. :(

Holy fuck, after origin fucking the other day my computer to the point I had to format it, I could at last play the multiplayer.
What and amazing experience. The multiplayer is just pure fun.
Been playing with a firend, and then with some strangers. It was strangely good with strangers becuase we beated the enemy waves without too much sweat and they were really helpfull at all times. No that im level 9 in the last match I played I can play as good as them and had a really good time.
Amazing, good job Bioware.

Also the unlock system that reminds me of buying cards to see which cards were inside when i was smaller. Its really addictive.

yeildrikk

Neo Member
Good lord;

-Adept
-Recharge Time - 200%

I play very similarly, except that I use a shuriken VI in place of the Carnifex so I can more effectively deal with shields.
That leaves me with a 200% recharge time as well, but I prefer the singularity/Warp combo (both fully upgraded) and use the shockwave to scatter enemies for a quick escape after being revived, or to stop a teammate being executed.

you just feel powerful as you rip through those assault troopers like wrapping paper. Or when you fling a singularity at a guardian at just the right angle so it lands behind him, and he gets lifted helplessly off the ground.... and then explodes when I warp him.

Serious

only reason I don't like engineers is because I get exposed by phantoms. incinerate + cryo blast do nothing against barriers. :(

Overload is such a fantastic skill now. I definitely think the Human has a much better skillset than the Quarians. Drone is debatable against the Turret, but I'm liking Overload way more than Cryo.

Neki

Overload is such a fantastic skill now. I definitely think the Human has a much better skillset than the Quarians. Drone is debatable against the Turret, but I'm liking Overload way more than Cryo.

I really like Cryo Blast though, very good CC. Turret/Drones are both crap, but I might have to go back to my Human Engineer because Overload is so useful against shields.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Just spent a couple of nights with the demo, definitely more impressed with it than the single player portion. Add me on Origin as KaiLengWuvCereal, I'll be going through the list right now!

X-Frame

Can someone explain the Krogan Soldier's "Fortification" ability?

It says activate it to reinforce armor but then 'purge' it to send the energy to my arms for increased melee damage. What does it mean by 'purge'?

this guy

Just beat Silver with some randoms using my level 5 Vanguard. Shit got intense at the end when there was only me and another guy left alive, with two data points left to capture. We managed to cap the data points, kill all the phantoms, and kill the two Atlas's despite neither of us having rockets. Woo.

Can you unlock more than two races in the demo? I've unlocked a Krogan Solider and Drell Vanguard, haven't gotten anything since, though.

Also, headbutting a room full of guys to death is one of my new favorite things.

You can get an Asari adpet and quarian engineer in the demo aswell.

Can someone explain the Krogan Soldier's "Fortification" ability?

It says activate it to reinforce armor but then 'purge' it to send the energy to my arms for increased melee damage. What does it mean by 'purge'?

It probably works like tech armor in the you have to trigger the ability by pressing the button a second time to cause the effect. I really wish it functioned like it did in ME 2 where once the shield got popped the effect would trigger or you could cause it not really sure why they would remove that effect out.

So what happen to the all melee class they talked about at last E3? Was that something I made up in my head or was that really something on the table at some point. I mean I guess the vanguard fills that roll all things considered, but still.

jgminto

I think I'm done with the demo now. Just maxed out my infiltrator. It was quite fitting that the game I ranked up on was the first full silver game I won. It was pretty intense. On round 10 I was last alive with an Atlus, a Phantom and a Combat Engineer after me. Luckily I was able to win my CQ battle with the phantom and went on to win. And then I got 2 useless weapon upgrades as rewards.

Serious

I really like Cryo Blast though, very good CC. Turret/Drones are both crap, but I might have to go back to my Human Engineer because Overload is so useful against shields.

I think Overload is actually the better CC. Right now, mine arcs to a second target (I could spec to arc to the third target, but the other option is just too good), and has no travel time. The lack of travel time is notable because the enemy's combat rolls seems to also function as a dodge, while they can't dodge Overload. While you can spec Cryo Blast to hit more than one, I find that it's a lot easier to get more than one guy with Overload. On the other hand, Cryo CCs for longer, plus they take more damage when frozen.

Eh, Overload just seems so much better. "Hey look, I can destroy shields and barriers with ease, and stun two at a time, with no travel, with the same button." I barely use Incinerate anymore against normal enemies, unless I need to arc it around obstacles.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Managed to do silver with 3, all of us made it out alive. I'm almost always in 3rd or 4th, is it me or is it human soldier? :) Hit 20 on that one too so I can try something else(better).

Niblet

Overload is beautiful. Great CC if you spec it that way. My question is how important is speccing for dmg for gold difficulty? Will I be missing out if I don't choose the 100% bonus damage instead of the CC ability?

Also how are you guys loading out with weapons? I love using abilities so much that on my adept and engi I'm running pistol only.

So what happen to the all melee class they talked about at last E3? Was that something I made up in my head or was that really something on the table at some point. I mean I guess the vanguard fills that roll all things considered, but still.

Krogan soldier is designed to be a melee-centric class.

Stantron

I tried out the PC version. Visuals look crisper. And I really like that you can run around continuously in a way not possible on 360. The mouse lets you aim and see where you're running when making 90 degree turns, and you don't need to stop to reposition. But in general I really suck with WASD keyboard controls, it's just so not intuitive to me. Not a big deal because most of my friends are already on 360 for MP, and my ME2 save file is too. But I really wish they allowed you to increase camera speed more on 360.

Can someone explain how the radius works in MP when your hacking a terminal or whatever. If I go out for 20 seconds or so to refill ammo, will that take away from total credits you can earn? What if one teammate never enters. Also, with the final extraction... does it matter weather or not your in the radius, as long as you're there when the timer reaches zero? It's not like the timer speeds up if all players stay within. And how long can I go out without affecting total credits earned, or the "full extraction medal".

Niblet

Can someone explain how the radius works in MP when your hacking a terminal or whatever. If I go out for 20 seconds or so to refill ammo, will that take away from total credits you can earn? What if one teammate never enters. Also, with the final extraction... does it matter weather or not your in the radius, as long as you're there when the timer reaches zero? It's not like the timer speeds up if all players stay within. And how long can I go out without affecting total credits earned, or the "full extraction medal".

The credits earned is based on the completion time. Quicker completion, more credits. Everyone gets the same credits. The meter fills faster* with more players inside the radius. Therefore if you are out of the circle for 20 seconds, the meter ends up filling a little bit slower and everyone gets a little less money.

* I cannot confirm this is correct, it is based on my perception in previous games.

Magik

An Asari Adept with a full upgraded Statis with Bubble effect is fantastic as a support class.

I'm just spamming it all over the place while my teammates finish enemies off.

Even though its just two levels, I'm still having so much fun with the MP. I can't imagine the amount of time I'm going to sink into the MP when the game comes out.

An Asari Adept with Stasis is a support class.

An Asari Adept with Stasis and a Carnifex pistol is a top of the leaderboard always and forever class.

Serious

Overload is beautiful. Great CC if you spec it that way. My question is how important is speccing for dmg for gold difficulty? Will I be missing out if I don't choose the 100% bonus damage instead of the CC ability?

Also how are you guys loading out with weapons? I love using abilities so much that on my adept and engi I'm running pistol only.

Well it's double damage vs Shields/Barrier against 15% more damage on everything and to arc to a third target (or second, but the first Chain Overload is a much easier choice). I'm not entirely sure off the top of my head if you can one shot Phantom Barriers on Gold with both Chain specializations, but my instinct is that it's not quite enough. My gut feeling is I'd rather have the extra Atlas/Phantom killing ability than the extra CC.

Pistol only is the best way to go if you don't have any weight talents, and even then it's probably enough (you can bring along an SMG for a backup weapon for "free", but you almost never need to use it). I actually run Pistol/Shotgun on my Engineer. I have both the Phalanx and Scimitar at level X, and I have all the weight talents. I take an extremely minor hit to my power spamming ability (186% recharge vs 200%, not a big deal) in exchange for having a shotgun for close quarters. It's not optimal for sure, but it's a lot of fun. Engineer can play surprisingly aggressively in hallways/buildings with a maxed out Overload, and it helps keep things fresh. The last point in Alliance Training is probably better spent elsewhere though, probably in Fitness. But hey, shotguns.

Milly79

I basically use only the Turian Sentinel because of the warp/overload. It's pretty OP.

Also, Asari Adept with statis - good lord.

Shuriken/Carnifex combo is deadly as hell. I rarely have to whip out the Shrukien. It's also really good with the Turian Sentinel for the recharge speeds. With the Asari it's not too bad, but you only get +130% opposed to +170%.

Overall the mode is a ton of fun. I wasn't expecting to like it as I thought they were actual missions, not horde mode with some objectives mixed in every few waves. Silver is a blast with everything they throw at you.

rozay

Banned
You can get an Asari adpet and quarian engineer in the demo aswell.

It probably works like tech armor in the you have to trigger the ability by pressing the button a second time to cause the effect. I really wish it functioned like it did in ME 2 where once the shield got popped the effect would trigger or you could cause it not really sure why they would remove that effect out.

There was no "heavy melee" class, it was a mistranslation of something related to heavy melee attacks

rozay

Banned
Also anyone have any good strategies as a vanguard for dealing with engineers/turrets? If he's already laying down the turret, is it a better idea to being shooting at the turret in his hands/the ground than killing him? I'm assuming the turret starts with full shields/armor but I've seen it explode without doing much before so I'm a little confused.

I'm more scared of guardians and engineers than phantoms on silver now. It sucks.

Need to figure out if I want to get the +100% armor/shield/barrier damage for nova or go with a solid 25% health and shield boost. I really wish they gave just 1 more point so we could max every skill and have 1 point in the last. I kind of regret choosing shockwave even though it's the easiest way to deal with guardians in my experience.

Mindlog

Yeah a Krogan is pretty much all melee.
I know for certain a developer said an all melee Vanguard run is possible. If multiplayer is any indication Vanguards are going to tear through insanity.

Played 2 more maps. In the lobby we were all fairly high level, but the difficulty was random on bronze. Even though everyone's N7 rating was high the actual characters in use ranged from 6-14. Breezed through bronze no problem. I switched my character and equipment then raised the difficulty to silver. Everyone else agreed without saying a word. I was watching the loadout screen and everyone starts equipping amps.

We managed to get the level 6 Vanguard through the map even though she kept getting herself killed. Universally smart use of cobras was extremely impressive. I hope randoms keep getting better.

I'm more scared of guardians and engineers than phantoms on silver now. It sucks.
Guardians are really easy to deal with. Just charge and shoot them in the head. If you need a little more time charge and step to the left. Sometimes it wont stun them. Just roll back and repeat.

Turrets are the reapers. You need to know for certain how much armor damage you can do when charging one. The turret will not have shields until it's set up completely. If you catch one setting up charge it and shotgun it until it dies (or you die.) It's possible to circle the turret without taking damage, but you'll be vulnerable to everything else around it. The best thing to do is charge back out and shoot it from range. Let your useless teammates do something for a change.

Vanguard #1

*There is an especially bad consequence when a great Vanguard dies to a turret. The team tends to feel an obligation to revive you and we end up with 2 or 3 bodies lying in front of the same turret. It's hilarious. I always know where engineers are now because of how many times that has happened. If I hear a turret sound or see an engineer that takes priority over everything else.

Just seen the list of weapons in the full retail game on the mass effect forums.

Jesus

Spoilers below

Geth Sniper that penetrates EVERYTHING
Black widow sniper, Upgrade of the Widow with multiple shots per clip
Assault Rifle Sniper Hybrid

My Asari Adept is going to destroy with the above.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just seen the list of weapons in the full retail game on the mass effect forums.

Jesus

Spoilers below

Geth Sniper that penetrates EVERYTHING
Black widow sniper, Upgrade of the Widow with multiple shots per clip
Assault Rifle Sniper Hybrid

My Asari Adept is going to destroy with the above.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Those sound insane. Maybe Gold won't be so bad after all.

EDIT: Good god at the full list. It looks like one of my biggest complaints with ME2 is solved. I'm pretty sure that list is for the campaign, but it would be awesome if all of those weapons (minus the DLC) made it to the multiplayer.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Those sound insane. Maybe Gold won't be so bad after all.

Beware Tagged spoilers and a spoiler link below

ScreenShots

Entire weapons list data mined from the demo

As far as i know all can be upgraded to level 10

Weapons

Assault rifles :

M-8 Avenger
M-96 Mattock
M-76 Revenant
Geth Pulse Rifle
Collector Assault Rifle
M-15 Vindicator

Cobra (New)
M-37 Falcon (New)
M-99 Saber (New)
N7 Valkyrie (New, DLC)
M55 Argus (New, DLC)
Chakram Launcher (New, DLC)

------------------------------------------------

Pistols:

M-3 Predator
M-5 Phalanx
M-6 Carnifex

M-77 Paladin (New)
Ivory (New
Scorpion Defensive Ordnance Pistol (New)
M-358 Talon (New)
Thor (New)
N7 Eagle (New, DLC)

Shotguns:

M-23 Katana
M-22 Eviscerator
M-27 Scimitar
M-300 Claymore
Geth Plasma Shotgun

The Disciple - new
Graal Spike Thrower - new
Striker - new
Centurion - new
N7 Crusader (DLC) - new
AT12 Raider (DLC) - new

Submachine guns:

M-4 Shuriken
M-9 Tempest
M-12 Locust

M-25 Hornet - new
N7 Hurricane (DLC) - new

Sniper rifles :

M-92 Mantis
M-97 Viper
M-98 Widow
M-29 Incisor

M-13 Raptor - new
M-90 Indra - new
Black Widow - new
Javelin - new
N7 Valiant (DLC) - new

Heavy weapons :

M-622 Avalanche
M-920 Cain
M-451 Firestorm
M-100 Grenade Launcher
ML-77 Missile Launcher
M-490 Blackstorm
Arc Projector
Collector Particle Beam

Geth Spitfire - new
M-51 Havoc - new
Black Star - new
Hydra Missile Launcher - new

rozay

Banned
Guardians are really easy to deal with. Just charge and shoot them in the head. If you need a little more time charge and step to the left. Sometimes it wont stun them. Just roll back and repeat.

Turrets are the reapers. You need to know for certain how much armor damage you can do when charging one. The turret will not have shields until it's set up completely. If you catch one setting up charge it and shotgun it until it dies (or you die.) It's possible to circle the turret without taking damage, but you'll be vulnerable to everything else around it. The best thing to do is charge back out and shoot it from range. Let your useless teammates do something for a change.

Vanguard #1
Now I REALLY regret putting a point into shockwave early on. Why can't we respec? :mad:

So the turret doesn't have shields when it's first deployed? I'll keep that in mind next time, might be viable to try blowing it up then charging straight into the engineer.

Stalker, are the DLC guns or the collector rifle in that link? Just curious

Now I REALLY regret putting a point into shockwave early on. Why can't we respec? :mad:

So the turret doesn't have shields when it's first deployed? I'll keep that in mind next time, might be viable to try blowing it up then charging straight into the engineer.

Stalker, are the DLC guns or the collector rifle in that link? Just curious

Yes, and you can respec in the full game dont worry, its a item from one of the store packs

Top Bottom