• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Lufia (Estpolis) will be announced soon

madara

Stopsign said:
In honor of this game being announced want to have a returning to Lufia 2 thread? My last one completely failed, but I think with enough people getting excited about this remake, I think we could be successful. I'm really excited to see what they do with this remake, as long as it's still a good game I'm all for it.

I figure the story and game cant be 100 fresh in this remake. If I avoid playing Lufia 2 until I try this the experience maybe mostly fresh to me since its been a few years. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
speedpop said:
I wouldn't mind playing through it again but I've got about 100 games to finish.
You know you'd want to prioritize the better game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
lucablight said:
Gades is the best sinistral.
Erim was hot and bad ass, she's the best.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Seiken said:
You know you'd want to prioritize the better game.
Problem is over the past year or three I've tried to replay Lufia II. It's one of those gems I never bothered to replay when I had the SNES still hooked up simply because beating the game in my room upon my bed was close to being legendary.

So when I do get all uppity and decide to replay it, I get Maxim to Sundletan where he consequently shits himself upon experiencing the earthquake... and for some reason I quit.

Johann

Seiken said:
Erim was hot and bad ass, she's the best.

I know! You just have to slice and dice the NADS of the other Sinistrals and they're dead. Seriously, all your sword strikes hit the crotch!

But Erim doesn't have those things!

jman2050

Johann said:
I know! You just have to slice and dice the NADS of the other Sinistrals and they're dead. Seriously, all your sword strikes hit the crotch!

But Erim doesn't have those things!

Well I'm fresh out of ideas...

Not sure about the ARPG direction of this game, but any extra exposure Lufia 2 gets is fine by me, so I'll follow this with interest.

Laguna

Banned
Cool trailer, and I´m happy that it isn´t just a remake.

Night_Trekker said:
:|

If I buy this in support of the Lufia IP, do I send the message that the series is financially viable or that I want another Lufia ARPG?

There won´t be a turned based Lufia anyway, so why don´t you buy or don´t buy it based on if it´s a good game or not? I know that´s a crazy idea but I read somewhere that there are people that do it this way.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If it wasn't Lufia I would be excited as hell, that presentation is top notch for a 3D DS game, but eh. Which parts are remakes from previous levels? I couldn't seem to find any

faridmon

yeah, it was impressive.

i am still shocked that SE si still happy with the DS after its meh sales of Blood of Bahamut, Nanshi no gemu 2 (but that game looked to have the minimum budget) and Saga 2. Also 4 WoL game was not hot either.

but enough of that, its damn Lufia game
which is a series I never played
, i just hope they don't bastardize it like they did it with Grandia III

Laguna said:
There won´t be a turned based Lufia anyway, so why don´t you buy or don´t buy it based on if it´s a good game or not? I know that´s a crazy idea but I read somewhere that there are people that do it this way.

I'll pass. This doesn't look that appealing to me.

Dragona Akehi said:
Except now Maxim is Douche Central of the land of Doucheia from the planet Doucheonia.

:mad:
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Estpolis, the retellings in the Chronicles series for Resident Evil... More and more, I'm starting to thoroughly dislike this recent trend of "bastardizations" of great games.

I mean, look at that trailer. This is a completely different game, it's hardly even recognizable as Lufia II. Why not just write an original story instead of making a thousand changes?

Prime Blue said:
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Estpolis, the retellings in the Chronicles series for Resident Evil... More and more, I'm starting to thoroughly dislike this recent trend of "bastardizations" of great games.

I mean, look at that trailer. This is a completely different game, it's hardly even recognizable as Lufia II. Why not just write an original story instead of making a thousand changes?

The one thing I adored about the Lufia games was that the protagonists were never the typical shounen male lead "I BELIEVE IN MYSELF AND MY FRIENDS". They were intelligent and often played the straight men to the comical characters around them (such as Aguro or Dekar). Maxim and Maxim's Descendent were very refreshing characters.

Hobbun

Laguna said:

Maybe because he prefers turn-based?

I feel the same. I think it's pretty lousy they changed the combat as well. Considering Kojima's reason is so lame. Because "turn-based isn't new anymore?" And action-RPGs are new?

I don't know, if the game ends up being that good, has rave reviews, I probably will pick it up. But I am not too thrilled right now on the change.

Besides, it probably won't even make it to NA, anyways.

Im playing Lufia 2 for the first time right now!

I read some of the spoilers and I really hope Tai gets a good shake this time . . . she is my most useful character as of right now and I like her tude!

duckroll

Dengeki has an interview with the developers as well as the S-E producer. It confirms that the people making the game are the same people who created Lufia.

Director: Masahide Miyata (director of Lufia 1 and 2, and the Rune Factory series)
Main Planner: Naoyuki Ukeda (main planner of Lufia 1 and 2, director of Shining Force Neo)

Miyata is not only directing the game, but he's also writing the scenario, and handling game design along with Ukeda.

duckroll said:
Dengeki has an interview with the developers as well as the S-E producer. It confirms that the people making the game are the same people who created Lufia.

Director: Masahide Miyata (director of Lufia 1 and 2, and the Rune Factory series)
Main Planner: Naoyuki Ukeda (main planner of Lufia 1 and 2, director of Shining Force Neo)

Miyata is not only directing the game, but he's also writing the scenario, and handling game design along with Ukeda.

*glances at optimism meter*

Coulda sworn it budged a little.

Red Scarlet

Was interested until seeing it's an action game now. I really should play through the original again, it's been however many years since the game came out.

duckroll said:

Well, that's something.

Shouta

I'm digging Tia's new design. Something about it that I really like, well orange hair and the fact it's Tia helps too.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Shouta said:
I'm digging Tia's new design. Something about it that I really like, well orange hair and the fact it's Tia helps too.
Yup, she looks hot hot hot!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Wait, this is an action RPG now?

Fuck. Boycotting this out of pointless nerd-spite, then. Unless, you know, people say it's really good.

But yeah, hype -1000.

Shouta said:
That girl with the orange bob cut and goggles is supposed to be Tia?!?

.....................................................................Does not compute.

duckroll said:

Maxim is still a douche now!

Hey guys, you remember Tia don't you?

k9hs2v.jpg

Ah, good old Tia. With the orange hair and the teddy bear suitcase.... and that chain monster thing..........................

jman2050

I'll admit, there's this really strong and perverse curiosity buzzing about in me as to what they're going to do to this game's plot.

Gunloc said:
Hey guys, you remember Tia don't you?

Ah, good old Tia. With the orange hair and the teddy bear suitcase.... and that chain monster thing..........................

To be fair, any retool that that makes Tia not a whiny useless bitch would be a vast improvement by default.

Why yes, I did leap for joy when I realized she left my party for good, why do you ask?

I don't even know what this is anymore. The style of game play is quite out of the norm for the series, and almost all of the character designs are so strangely different than the source material. And it's not even that the designs are that bad, because I don't really mind any of them. But this is taking the whole reboot thing a bit too far.

This should have been a new game in the series. Does Square Enix/Neverland think the Lufia II characters and setting are so vital to the game's success that they must reuse them despite the fact that they obviously want to go in a completely different direction? It's not like new fans are going to be drawn in by the fact that they are "remaking" the second game, and most old fans that I've talked to so far are not really impressed with what they are doing to the characters and lore.

Who exactly are they trying to target with this game? Because it certainly doesn't seem to be the long time Lufia/Estpolis players.

I know it's a bit early to be saying this, but the more I see of this game, the less impressed I am. It actually seems to just make me feel more depressed about the current status of this series. Will we ever see a traditional Lufia game again?

Lov Tia!

pissed that she had to leave the team . . . stuck with weak magic now in the first boss fight after the time jump. >_>

jman2050

Dragona Akehi said:
She looks like someone from the Shia clan...

She still sucks.

Maybe the devs will retain one of their better decisions from the original game and write her out of half of it.

Top Bottom