• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League is coming to Switch tomorrow

deathsaber

I downloaded last night around 2am and played an hour on the handheld.

In short- its Rocket League on a handheld. Yes, they made graphical compromises- I'd say if console games had a PC like graphics detail slider- the game is probably set somewhere between the low and mid setting, and we know this is running at lower resolution than other platforms. Everything is muddier, less detail, etc.

But the gameplay is perfect, its running at 60fps, all game modes and content is there. If you wanted Rocket League on a handheld platform, don't hesitate to buy this, as its in all its glory.

Pila

You guys are gonna use Samus car?

aka best Nintendo licensed car

It's awesome and I want it but it's been 200+ hours driving the Breakout :/ body maybe not ready.

newsguy

You guys are gonna use Samus car?

aka best Nintendo licensed car

It's awesome and I want it but it's been 200+ hours driving the Breakout :/ body maybe not ready.

I did and went back to breakout as soon as I unlocked it. Samus car is awesome, I’m just a creature of habit.

Portugeezer

I watched a few minutes of the GameExplain gameplay video and it's looking rough. Most Switch games look great, but some of these ports really show the limitations of the system.
They kept the 60fps gameplay which is quite good actually considering the hardware.

Fbh

Ok so I wanted to wait but I got half drunk and made an impulse purchase.

So far I have to say it's better than I expected. Yes there were visual compromises and yeah I obviously can tell the difference from playing on my 4K TV on my PRO but when all is said and done it's still the same Rocket Legue running on a handheld.

Visuals take a big hit and in handheld mode where its definitely blurry, but some of the comments I've seen are clearly hyperbole (it looks clearly worse bit it's not like "omg Ps2 level graphics!!").... but it honestly hasn't bothered me. It still plays well and visuals are still good enough that it's easy to read the game. I'm just not quite sure it's 60FPS in handheld mode. It doesn't feel choppy or anything but somehow it doesn't feel as smooth as on my Ps4 (still perfectly playable, just won my first 5 qualifying marches for ranked... and I'm not very good at this, Im silver on PS4).

I haven't had much trouble getting used to playing in portable mode. It took me 2-3 games to get used to the controls and then it feels fine (then again I've never been that good at this so I'm sure more skilled players might have more issues)

I'd say it's worth a purchase for anyone who wants Rocket Legue on the go (or anyone who doesn't own another platform that can run it). If you want the exact same visuals and performance as Rocket Legue on your PC or console you'll be disappointed but if going portable has any value to you I think that you'll be able to overlook the downgrade

Guys I'm sorry. I've played for about an hour and I can't get over the visuals. I usually play at 165 fps and 60 isn't cutting it for me and with the added lower visual fidelity its pushed me away. I don't care for the portable aspect as I game 100% docked.

I have failed you all.

Just bought it yesterday after blowing dust off my switch. It's such a perfect purchase on the Switch if you don't already own it. Playing online against all the psynets is great. Haven't seen many Nintendo players.

DilWSTS

damn mine definitely didnt feel 60fps, maybe i need the ethernet adapter, coz online seemed quite frame droppy

This version must fare very well if a friend of mine, who has played it for hundreds of hours, could pick up a single Joy-Con and easily get to grips with the controls while handily beating me 15-0...

My only niggle with local multiplayer is how it asks the second player to create a user profile within the game. The Switch doesn't support guest profiles so you have to create a new user on the device. If you want to play online together then they need a Nintendo Account as well.

Top Bottom