• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Jhoan

Heading to NYC for a weekend. Want to see the Statue of Liberty, Empire State, One World Trade. Do I need a tour group?

Also what area is the best place to stay? Looking for Airbnb.
As far I know for the Statue of Liberty, you can a purchase a ticket individually from the Battery Park kiosk by the South Ferry. This website has the all the info you need on it: http://www.nps.gov/stli/index.htm

Empire State buiding I would say to avoid at all costs because it's a massive tourist trap and do Top of The Rock instead which is much cheaper and not full of tourists. You'll get the same views of the city, plus tour NBC studios, plus Rockefeller Plaza/5th ave nearby, and Nintendo World in the same vicinity as a bonus.

One World Trade Center, again, you can buy tickets individually in this website. However, I'm pretty damn sure you can get some discount code because admission is otherwise pricey but that ultimately depends on your budget for your trip.

As for the best place to stay at, I personally can't say since it ultimately depends on what you want to do/see. It sounds like everything that you want to see is in Manhattan in this case so you might want to consider somewhere close to midtown/the Hell's Kitchen area. Plus if you want to do Brooklyn/Queens, you have a bunch of trains in the area easily accessible. Each borough is another world in and of itself.

Conversely, you can go for an Airbnb place that's further up north in Manhattan but still easily accessible to downtown Manhattan. My advice with Airbnb is to be wary of price gouging and use your best judgement.
Hey guys!
I'm going to be in NYC from November 1st to the 6th. Any of you up for meeting up and getting a beer?

Flying in from Germany - would be nice to meet some Gaffers.
I should have a surplus of money coming in by the first week of November so I would be down to drink a beer or two. Many GAF members work a 9-5 job/late night job and/or have class but I think it wouldn't be a problem because it would be during Happy Hour (in a nutshell, drinks/food are discounted between the hours of 14:00-17:00 or even 18:00 in some bars). I'm pretty damn sure I can round up DoktorEvil, number47, Penguin, and whoever else is interested can post in the thread/show up once the place/time gets ironed out.

Personally, I'm usually free on Mondays after 4PM (16:00), 6:30PM (16:30) on Tuesdays since those are the two days of the week I'm always in downtown Manhattan. I'm free every other day as well. If it's beer you want, two places with a good beer selection immediately stick out to me: Pony Bar and Valhalla. There's also a few German pubs in the midtown area that I can think of including Reichenbach Hall and Bierhaus.

NY Gaf, have any of you guys dealt with unemployment before? Like a lot.

Mine ran out in August. My friend was telling me I can file for an extension cause I am a full time student now. Is that a thing and if it is, how does the process go?

I have a job interview this week but I thought I'd look for back up plans for a source of income.

Jhoan

Oh boy! I just realized that Stream Con is this very weekend. Talk about bad timing but I understand the reason behind the date so as to move it away from NYCC and out of people's minds. I know a few con friends who are gonna be working at that event. Is anyone planning on going to that?

Details for next week's impromptu beer with Pringle meet up will come soon. I'll sleep on it for another day and post it eventually with the time. Quick fancy banner too.

Lulubop

As far I know for the Statue of Liberty, you can a purchase a ticket individually from the Battery Park kiosk by the South Ferry. This website has the all the info you need on it: http://www.nps.gov/stli/index.htm

Empire State buiding I would say to avoid at all costs because it's a massive tourist trap and do Top of The Rock instead which is much cheaper and not full of tourists. You'll get the same views of the city, plus tour NBC studios, plus Rockefeller Plaza/5th ave nearby, and Nintendo World in the same vicinity as a bonus.

One World Trade Center, again, you can buy tickets individually in this website. However, I'm pretty damn sure you can get some discount code because admission is otherwise pricey but that ultimately depends on your budget for your trip.

As for the best place to stay at, I personally can't say since it ultimately depends on what you want to do/see. It sounds like everything that you want to see is in Manhattan in this case so you might want to consider somewhere close to midtown/the Hell's Kitchen area. Plus if you want to do Brooklyn/Queens, you have a bunch of trains in the area easily accessible. Each borough is another world in and of itself.

Conversely, you can go for an Airbnb place that's further up north in Manhattan but still easily accessible to downtown Manhattan. My advice with Airbnb is to be wary of price gouging and use your best judgement.

I should have a surplus of money coming in by the first week of November so I would be down to drink a beer or two. Many GAF members work a 9-5 job/late night job and/or have class but I think it wouldn't be a problem because it would be during Happy Hour (in a nutshell, drinks/food are discounted between the hours of 14:00-17:00 or even 18:00 in some bars). I'm pretty damn sure I can round up DoktorEvil, number47, Penguin, and whoever else is interested can post in the thread/show up once the place/time gets ironed out.

Personally, I'm usually free on Mondays after 4PM (16:00), 6:30PM (16:30) on Tuesdays since those are the two days of the week I'm always in downtown Manhattan. I'm free every other day as well. If it's beer you want, two places with a good beer selection immediately stick out to me: Pony Bar and Valhalla. There's also a few German pubs in the midtown area that I can think of including Reichenbach Hall and Bierhaus.

I'd be down.

Midtown bars tho D:

Pringler

Jipan, I've sent you a PM!

I'm down for whatever, doesnt' have to be German beer or location - I can live without Germany for a week.

I've no plans as of yet. Just sleep in and walk around some neighborhoods I haven't been to.

Jhoan

No German bars narrows it down to a few places. I'm gonna kick my brother off the laptop and get to designing a quick and dirty banner in a little bit with the details.

Suffice to say, it's going to be on Monday, it's going to be somewhere in the Midtown with a good selection of beers, and it's going to be from 5PM to 10PM (17:00-22:00) and will include hopping if necessary. Happy hour meet up confirmed. Rather than make a roster list, I think folks should simply show up.

Jhoan

I'll just leave this here.

6rF41Xv.jpg

Have a great Halloween weekend folks! If I don't see some of you at the NYC Craft Beer Festival, I'll see you on Monday. I definitely won't be late this time around since I'm gonna be downtown a few hours beforehand. ;)

diffusionx

Gold Member
No German bars narrows it down to a few places. I'm gonna kick my brother off the laptop and get to designing a quick and dirty banner in a little bit with the details.

Suffice to say, it's going to be on Monday, it's going to be somewhere in the Midtown with a good selection of beers, and it's going to be from 5PM to 10PM (17:00-22:00) and will include hopping if necessary. Happy hour meet up confirmed. Rather than make a roster list, I think folks should simply show up.

There's a place that opened on maybe 30th and 5th called Holland House that has a nice selection of beers from everywhere. It's pretty big and looks nice.

Jhoan

Yeah... I think I'm looking to postpone this meet up to Wednesday since Pringler would have to leave at 8 today. Got a laundry list of things I need to do coming off of Halloween weekend by tomorrow. I wouldn't be able to do tomorrow evening because I have to meet with my boss from 5:30PM-6:30PM near Columbus Circle.

Jhoan

^^Fantastic!

So after getting the greenlight from Pringler, Wednesday it is. Gonna go with the place diffusionx mentioned above, Holland House. Time will be 5:30PM-11:30PM since I suddenly agreed to give a workshop on Wednesday at my alma mater which would be from 2PM-4PM (14:00-16:00). I will lay out the details for you guys all nice and neat below. This post will be edited with an image at a later point to supplement it:

NYC GAF Happy Hour Drink and Talk
Place: Holland House-5th Ave. b/w 30th and 29th st. (thanks to diffusionx for the place). It's near Korea Town as point of reference.
Time: 5:30-11:30 (17:30-23:30). Might include plans to hop places at some point if need be; thread will be updated as necessary.
Who: Join visiting Germany GAF member Pringler and I as we discuss G/A/F, life, city stuff, and more over drinks, food, and what have you. It's happy hour so come and unwind with us. Come and go as you please since I'm not really going take a formal tally for this meet up but do feel free to post in the thread if you plan on coming! Drinking is of course, optional. Latecomers are welcome.
How to spot the group: I have wildly long hair these days so it should be easy enough. Spot the Hispanic man with the thick, black framed glasses and you're golden. When in doubt, holler "Believe!" I might be wearing a GAF shirt on that day.

Lulubop

Will try and make it. Trying to save money atm tho.

While I'm here, I might as well ask. Any single bros looking to bar hop and pick up chicks(or at least try) on Fridays and Saturdays, let me know.

Hi NYC Gaf,

I’m off to New York in April to marry the woman of my dreams and was after some local knowledge.

The ceremony is being held in Central Park and I’m after some recommendations on venues for afterward, I imagine the ceremony will be finished around 15:30-16:00 so we’re after somewhere to go for a few drinks and snacks etc for a couple of hours then move onto a restaurant and then finish the evening up somewhere with a little bit of life and dancing is a must.

I’ve had a look online but I’m a little overwhelmed by all the venues available so was hoping some local knowledge would help.

Party size is around 20, no kids just adults.

Also, wondered if anyone could recommend a photographer for the ceremony, we’ve been given a price via the wedding organisers and it just seems so exspensive!

If you want any more info to help with the recommendations just let me know.

Jhoan

Will try and make it. Trying to save money atm tho.

While I'm here, I might as well ask. Any single bros looking to bar hop and pick up chicks(or at least try) on Fridays and Saturdays, let me know.
Aren't we all my friend? Aren't we all. I have things to use with money for future goals but doesn't mean I'll be spending a fortune.

As for your request, I've been looking to go to bars more often myself so if I'm not doing anything on a weekend and find myself wanting to go out, I'll take you up on an outing or two.

As to the poster above, my advice would be to put out a post on craigslist looking for a wedding photographer. As for venues, what venues have you been looking at as a reference point?

All right, so update on tonight's meet up:
Pringler is out but I'm still in so I'm not going to cancel this outing again. At most, it'll go until 11PM. Again, if you're gonna go, simply show up or post in the thread that you're going. I do not have a connected phone so texting/exchnanging numbers is sadly out of the question for another week or two.

Lulubop

Well I haven't been to work in two months due to a broken arm and I'm not being compensated, so a little different lol.

Jhoan

Going to be heading out in a few minutes. Should be there a little after 5 so roughly 35-40 mins walking quickly. I'll be sketching a few things while waiting.

I'm interested in NYC. My mom is from Queens and my grandparents still live there. I have visited Queens/NYC quite a few times but never got to spend more than a few weeks there at a time.

Does anyone have any cool pictures of the Manhattan Sky Line? I never got to explore much myself, so I never got to see it up close a whole lot, but I imagined if I lived there, I would know where to go to see it since I like big buildings. And NYC has a lot of big buildings.

Cheers.

This is kind of embarrassing but have any of you guys delt with subway anxiety? I use the subway every day to get to work and get around in general (no car) but the past few days due to obvious things with Paris and that ISIS video I've just been really anxious even though I know it doesn't do anything or make me safer.

I'm somewhat knew to the city (less than a year) so this I guess is my first time being fearful or anxious (more accurate) which I hate.

I've not stopped riding but I just want to know if these feelings are normal and pass? I imagine they have for many over the years for those who have lived here longer.

Penguin

Honestly never felt that way

Through storms and snow and 9/11... I mean... I never think of them being attacked.

Heck, it's weird when we have a bad enough storm to shut em down.

Gallbaro

Banned

Through storms and snow and 9/11... I mean... I never think of them being attacked.

We have only had one storm that was bad enough to shut them down.

All the other times were Cuomo being an arbitrary idiot.
Or the once in a few decades TWU strike.

I literally didn't until Wednesday.

Then my Wikipedia session reminded about 7/7 and Madrid... I mean I know the chances are low I just hate all the anxiety. I figure it will go down on its own as distance adds and the news reports less on it.

I think it will definitely go away with time...I usually never have flight anxiety but after all this news I couldn't help but get a little nervous when flying back into the city on Sunday...I doubt that feeling will last though.

Pau

This is kind of embarrassing but have any of you guys delt with subway anxiety? I use the subway every day to get to work and get around in general (no car) but the past few days due to obvious things with Paris and that ISIS video I've just been really anxious even though I know it doesn't do anything or make me safer.

I'm somewhat knew to the city (less than a year) so this I guess is my first time being fearful or anxious (more accurate) which I hate.

I've not stopped riding but I just want to know if these feelings are normal and pass? I imagine they have for many over the years for those who have lived here longer.
I don't get anxiety on the subway, but I get anxiety just living in NYC knowing that it could be a target for mass attacks. No idea how people managed to live through the Cold War.

I don't get anxiety on the subway, but I get anxiety just living in NYC knowing that it could be a target for mass attacks. No idea how people managed to live through the Cold War.
See that's the irrationality. I don't fear being in time square or any other places just the subway because of its enclosed space.

I know there's no real reason to fear one over the other but I do.

Zabka

I'm interested in NYC. My mom is from Queens and my grandparents still live there. I have visited Queens/NYC quite a few times but never got to spend more than a few weeks there at a time.

Does anyone have any cool pictures of the Manhattan Sky Line? I never got to explore much myself, so I never got to see it up close a whole lot, but I imagined if I lived there, I would know where to go to see it since I like big buildings. And NYC has a lot of big buildings.

Cheers.
I have two fairly recent ones of the new WTC.

Far away
Really close

xsarien

daedsiluap

What I did in the wake of 9/11? Slowly realize that being afraid of things that are fundamentally and completely out of my control is just a waste of mental energy. It helped immensely when I moved out to San Francisco and had to suddenly learn a lot about earthquake prep.

Save the stress for when it comes. :)

Jhoan

Eh, I feel safe as a whistle that it's never once crossed my mind to really think about it. I think that all the news reports about ISIS wanting to target NYC are terribly exaggerated. I think it's something to scoff/roll my eyes at whenever I hear the words terrorists and NYC getting tossed around in one sentence.

Besides I'm almost always drawing people in the subway/bus to even get anxiety so if anything, I'm pretty observant/alert about people. The city spends way too much damn money on the NYPD that they're practically everywhere. Hell, I see cops patrolling my neighborhood at night from time to time. However, the same can't be said of people living in high crime neighborhoods out in The Bronx and Brooklyn.

Pau

What I did in the wake of 9/11? Slowly realize that being afraid of things that are fundamentally and completely out of my control is just a waste of mental energy. It helped immensely when I moved out to San Francisco and had to suddenly learn a lot about earthquake prep.

Save the stress for when it comes. :)
I'm no stranger to things completely out of my control affecting my life (like my dad's kidnapping, family members being in bombings, etc.) but it's just made me more anxious. :( Doesn't help that I have a huge fear of death... I do pretty okay nowadays not dwelling on the stuff but it's always at the back of my mind. Maybe the type of mindset you're talking about comes with age... I still feel like my life's barely started and I'm so afraid to lose it so quickly.

Lulubop

I need to sub to this thread, I always lose track of it.

I grew up and still live relatively close to the WTC. I was shook like everyone right after, and I had a ton of anxiety over a possible attack on the Con Edison power plant I live right by... but after that first or so year I never felt that way again.

You guys heard of the Gambino family right? So this Saturday, turn out one of my customers is a member of the Gambino family. If I disappear, you guys know what happened to me.

number47

You guys heard of the Gambino family right? So this Saturday, turn out one of my customers is a member of the Gambino family. If I disappear, you guys know what happened to me.
Wait a sec. My stalker senses told me you moved to Asia.

And no anxiety. You can die anywhere. People should really remember that

I live in an apparment supposedly owned by the mob. Don't know if it makes me feel safe or scared...
And no anxiety. You can die anywhere. People should really remember that
I know. And to be honest I should talk to a professional but I just feel too young if I had a kid or family I would weridly feel less fear because I wouldn't be as scared of death.

I just have to wait for the fear to die down with time. I mean I just think how many people, how many cops, how many people looking, how many other cities, how many other cities have had attacks that I've used the subway (London, Madrid, Paris).

The chances are so small it would happen let alone affect me but I have such horrible anxiety.

I just hope it goes away and I'm sure it will. I still got to get around in our holes. I'm selling my car!

Enough about this. We still live in the greatest city in the world.

Anyone going to the parade tomororw?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I want to, but it will be packed and I want to sleep in. I did go tonight to check out the balloons being inflated. Shit was still packed.

New ideas for fun things to do on Christmas day? We never had weather like this before, and I'm thinking about just going out tomorrow. But most of the shit is closed tomorrow.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Went to flushing for Eve. Haven't been here in two years or so. Some things look newer but some things remain the same.

Top Bottom