• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

AgeEighty

For anyone who's played it already: How is the note charting on Expert? My biggest problem with GH was always that they added in notes that weren't really in the song in Expert just to make it artificially harder. RB has always had far more accurate charting.

Baboro

Neo Member
I was pretty confused with the difference between the on-disc songs and the streaming songs. I kept seeing songs getting announced but it wasn't clear to me which setlist those songs were getting added to. Thank you so much, OP, for clearing that all up. I'm not too into their on-disc setlist, but I like how they're trying different artists you probably wouldn't expect to see (Eminem, Skrillix, etc.).

I'm very interested to see if this all works well for them. I like that they're trying new things and the streaming pass doesn't sound like a bad deal. Unfortunately I'm still the type of person that prefers buying/downloading my music as opposed to streaming it, so the GHTV stuff doesn't appeal to me too much (despite the obvious benefits of it, like discovering new music).

I also hope people stray away from the GH vs RB debates. Reminds me too much of console war bs. They're both music games, but I feel they're doing different enough things from each other that they should be reviewed on their own.

Shinjica

OP updated with SV's info. Apologies for the misinformation.

I'm sorry that 3 songs with guitar put you off a guitar game because you didn't like them.

Is not that 3 songs, i dont like the direction of the game. They made so many different kind of genre to make more people happy but if you try to make everyone happy, normally no one will be happy.

JPS Kai

For anyone who's played it already: How is the note charting on Expert? My biggest problem with GH was always that they added in notes that weren't really in the song in Expert just to make it artificially harder. RB has always had far more accurate charting.

The chords are closer to what you'd expect the actual song to feel like. You can really tell the difference between Regular and Expert given how much of a Regular song you're not actually playing.

BearPawB

Banned
Is not that 3 songs, i dont like the direction of the game. They made so many different kind of genre to make more people happy but if you try to make everyone happy, normally no one will be happy.

what are you even talking about.
You want every song in a 240 song set list to be specifically tailored to your tastes?

AgeEighty

The chords are closer to what you'd expect the actual song to feel like. You can really tell the difference between Regular and Expert given how much of a Regular song you're not actually playing.

Yeah, I just want to make sure Expert doesn't add a ton of fake notes like GH is notorious for. I've generally been a bigger fan of RB's more accurate note charting.

I'm really interested to see the reviews. I tried the game out a couple weeks ago and thought it was fun, but was bothered by how the kiosk was littered with prepaid "GHTV Cash" cards.

iKhayal18

For those who say that they have preordered for 79€.. WHERE?!
Here in Spain if does not get lower than 90€ at most shops, even at Amazon.es :/
I think I'll still have to wait until Christmas to see if the prices drops a little bit and when it does I'll end up getting the Wii U version :) (they deserve support just for creating a Wii U version).

vg260

Sounds good to me. GHTV seems like a step towards what I always thought these games should be. Hopefully they're able/willing to support it for the foreseeable future.

If it's just essentially the fully mixed track and video with no track separation, that feels like a step away (less interactive) from what I think these games should be, like just playing on top of some music. That's what I don't like about this GHTV thing. I feel like it's Activision not "getting it" when it comes to interacting with music in a game and counter to the original spirit of GH and what made it special.

I would love some sort of subscription model, but still have actual separated tracks.

Is there going to be any regular DLC or just the on-disc list and the streaming?

Jb

For those who say that they have preordered for 79€.. WHERE?!
Here in Spain if does not get lower than 90€ at most shops, even at Amazon.es :/
I think I'll still have to wait until Christmas to see if the prices drops a little bit and when it does I'll end up getting the Wii U version :) (they deserve support just for creating a Wii U version).

It's 75EUR on amazon.fr, don't know about the shipping cost to Spain though.

mackattk

Already got RB4.

This is on its way from Best Buy and will be here tomorrow. Reason why I jumped in were three reasons. First, After GCU and reward zone cards, game/guitar is effectively $69.99. Second, the 3x2 configuration will be a nice change from the regular formula we have had for these games in the past. Third, GH:TV will mean that I won't have to pay any extra for DLC or to play/try out new songs.

The price of admission is low enough for me to jump on it and spend some time with it. I just wish it would have come out at another time because of all the other games coming out in the next few weeks.

killroy87

While I still wish I had the option to purchase songs that I really enjoy, I've really warmed up to the idea of GHTV. It seems like a fun, constantly evolving way to do DLC, and is surprisingly wallet-friendly.

JPS Kai

While I still wish I had the option to purchase songs that I really enjoy, I've really warmed up to the idea of GHTV. It seems like a fun, constantly evolving way to do DLC, and is surprisingly wallet-friendly.

GHTV has the one thing I wish Rock Band could develop a model for:
All-You-Can-Play for $5.99/night.

I'll probably pick it up, just wondering if I should go for the PS3 or Wii U version.
Probably Wii U though, as the U's disc reader doesn't make nearly as much noise as the PS3's.

My only concern with it is how long it'll last if this game underperforms.I'm hoping it does well, but I just don't know.

Do we have any sense of how well Rock Band 4 has sold, as a comparison?

I love the new direction they're talking the series, in fact it's my favorite part of the game.

I'm glad that they're no longer playing quality catch up to Rock Band and instead playing their own game and doing something different and awesome. The FMV stuff? Killer idea. Simply checking.

I'd be all over the pop songs if the game was more party oriented, but oh well! I like metal lots but I'm way down for party oriented stuff over songs I'd love but never touch a party.

I'm not a fan of the first person crowd stuff. It's ridiculous you do well all song and mess up a handful of times to have the crowd hold up you suck signs and everything. Lol. I like the live tracks that just have the music videos.

killroy87

My only concern with it is how long it'll last if this game underperforms.I'm hoping it does well, but I just don't know.

Do we have any sense of how well Rock Band 4 has sold, as a comparison?

They've given themselves a pretty clever exit strategy if the game tanks. Since it's all on-demand, you can't really argue that you're money/DLC is going to waste if they stop supporting it.

I'm not sure about RB4 sales, but the game seems to have come and gone like a fart in the wind (not that GHL is exactly the talk of the town either). I've personally never seen a RB4 set in store, but I don't know if that's a testament to demand, or to a very conservative initial run.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm not a fan of the first person crowd stuff. It's ridiculous you do well all song and mess up a handful of times to have the crowd hold up you suck signs and everything. Lol. I like the live tracks that just have the music videos.

I quite like the idea tbh

Excited to try at least

I just preordered. You can add me to the camp of someone who just like last generation will now own both music games. Got RB4 a few weeks ago and have been having fun with it, I'll be grabbing GH:L tomorrow. Bought Rock Band for XB1 because of my legacy DLC, I'm picking up GH:L for PS4 though just because that's where I have the most friends, etc.

The one thing I'm concerned about is that the master tracks aren't used in GHTV songs. You'll get a lot from a song, but when you compare customs done in the past to their eventual release, there can often be a lot missed out through the mix. Plus if it uses music videos they're often cut for single releases. I also prefer to have the songs readily available at any time rather than the streaming option, although I appreciate them trying something different and it's a ridiculously good start to catching up with RB4's DLC library. Other than that, I'm willing to give it a try, although probably not at launch. Maybe as a Christmas gift to myself.

BearPawB

Banned
The one thing I'm concerned about is that the master tracks aren't used in GHTV songs. You'll get a lot from a song, but when you compare customs done in the past to their eventual release, there can often be a lot missed out through the mix. Plus if it uses music videos they're often cut for single releases. I also prefer to have the songs readily available at any time rather than the streaming option, although I appreciate them trying something different and it's a ridiculously good start to catching up with RB4's DLC library. Other than that, I'm willing to give it a try, although probably not at launch. Maybe as a Christmas gift to myself.

The music videos using the single cut is potentially really sad. Like it would be my luck that Titus Andronicus would get in, and then they would use the substantially worse single cut of A More Perfect Union.

But it should be noted the songs are available at any time, you just have to use the tokens you earn while playing (or pay for) to play them. So you don't just have to wait until the song you want comes up

antitrop

So you really can't use the old guitars on this one? They've completely revamped the mechanics and the tools that go along with it?

2x3 is entirely different from 1x5. I suspect the change came from equal intentions of innovation and forcing you to buy a new peripheral.

I completely welcome the change with open arms, it feels fresh and this genre needed something new. I played rock band 4 a couple of days ago and felt burned out an hour into it because it's more of the same I've been playing for years. For GH I'm having a blast trying to master the new controls, the chords are a pain in the ass for me but I'm getting it slowly.

Was thinking about buying the game and suddenly gamestop offers the game for 9,99. Went to a local Shop, which had 20% off all games and bought New yoshis Island and zelda a link between Worlds for 16€ each. Went to gamestop and preordered without problems.

Cant believe i am getting this game for 42€ :D

pacman85

I have gone all digital with the XBone this console generation. Any word on if I can get the guitar by itself and then the game digitally? I don't see a game page for it on xbox.com and don't see a way to get the guitar separately.

JPS Kai

I have gone all digital with the XBone this console generation. Any word on if I can get the guitar by itself and then the game digitally? I don't see a game page for it on xbox.com and don't see a way to get the guitar separately.

You could try finding someone that's getting the 2-pack and see if you can buy a guitar off of them perhaps.

Willectro

Banned
Review embargo lifts tomorrow. You can wait or you can take the dive right now.

Wish I could, but release day embargos on a game like this are insanely anti-consumer. Would be nice to be able to pre-order shit, but as long as companies try to play games with consumers, I'll wait. Are they worried this will end up with a score under 79 on Metacritic?

deoee

Wish I could, but release day embargos on a game like this are insanely anti-consumer. Would be nice to be able to pre-order shit, but as long as companies try to play games with consumers, I'll wait. Are they worried this will end up with a score under 79 on Metacritic?

My guess: This game will be reviewed very very subjective because it's something different from the 0815 formula which not everyone will like + the playlist is subjective too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cheat code you really should, if avaialble, list the GHTV songs on the OP, even ff its for appearances. people are already saying "omg only 40 songs"

Willectro

Banned
My guess: This game will be reviewed very very subjective because it's something different from the 0815 formula which not everyone will like + the playlist is subjective too.

Oh for sure. If RB4 was at 59 instead of 79 on Metacritic, there wouldn't be an embargo though.

Top Bottom