• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Left 4 Dead 2 |OT| The South Rises Again

Twig

Banned
Volcynika said:
PC gamers don't need balance.
50 special infected vs. 1 survivor is the only true balance. You have to make it hard for the survivor or it isn't rewarding.

20ptpxj.jpg

Aaaahh good ol' I-10

Grew up 5 minutes from it in Florida.

love Love LOVE L4D2's environments! :D :D :D

Aeris130

Loving all the new weapons, glad they made shotguns less godly than they were in l4d1. Is there a difference between the tier 1 weapons? It seems there's two different versions of the minigun that spawn randomly.

Amir0x

Banned
I still think Francis and Bill are great characters from L4D1, on par with the L4D2 cast. But Louis and Zoey lose out to the L4D2 cast.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm liking all of the new cast more than I thought, except Rochelle. She just seems incredibly generic, but maybe she'll get some good lines in the full game.

Aeris130 said:
Loving all the new weapons, glad they made shotguns less godly than they were in l4d1. Is there a difference between the tier 1 weapons? It seems there's two different versions of the minigun that spawn randomly.

The silenced one is slightly more powerful(25 per hit apposed to 20) but is less inaccurate IIRC.

The Chrome Shotgun is also tier 1 but I think the main difference there is the spread.

Love how weapons randomly spawn now. Just found the magnum for the first time tonight :D

Trying not to play the demo too much as I don't wanna burn myself out

Twig

Banned
Amir0x said:
I still think Francis and Bill are great characters from L4D1, on par with the L4D2 cast. But Louis and Zoey lose out to the L4D2 cast.
Step off, Louis is king. ):<
LovingSteam said:
It is displaying perfectly for me.
Probably already in your cache, so it loads no problem.

Amir0x

Banned
I always played as Louis, he was my man. I just think his comments and his "personality" were fairly empty by comparison to the rest of the cast except Zoey.

like:
-whatever the new machine pistol is at the beginning of the demo. didn't see it anywhere else in the level but it's damage, fire rate, and spread was amazing.
-lighting and environments. a lot of it reminds me of houston. (you can take that as good or bad)
-the new special zombies. dunno how i feel about the dude with the big arm though.
-zombie attacks, hoards, and overall the way the attacks happen seem more believable and dynamic than on l4d1. i always felt like, oh noes, here's another wave, but with the sequel it's less noticeable.
-im glad they left all of the original stuff in the game like weapons and the old special zombies.

dislike:
-the deagle. could they make it any less accurate? even crouched sitting still it's spread is terrible. at least they kept it infinite ammo i suppose. works decently as a 'shit im caught in a reload' fix.
-the adrenaline shot and the biobomb seem kinda pointless. i don't notice anything different when taking adrenaline and the biobomb is only useful if the other players took all of the pipes and molotovs.
-melee weapons. just not feelin it.
-the overall feeling that it all seems more like a big expansion moreso than a sequel. i hate admitting that i fall into 'that group' but i just didn't feel like it was a whole new game, but just a continuation with some additions.

definitely buying on the first price cut.

Sibylus

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
;_;

OH NO
I can kinda see where Ami's coming from (I play Louis the most), he didn't talk about his job or his past doings much. I'm hoping Valve plays up the reporter angle in Rochelle. I figure a news reporter would have something interesting to say about the apocalypse.

Amir0x

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
like:
-the adrenaline shot and the biobomb seem kinda pointless. i don't notice anything different when taking adrenaline and the biobomb is only useful if the other players took all of the pipes and molotovs.

definitely buying on the first price cut.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Adrenaline shot and not noticing anything different on it.

On Adrenaline you gain a small amount of health, you move SUPER FAST, and you perform all actions faster - defibrillator, healing up, helping friends up. It doesn't have as wide a range of possible uses as pills, which is an all-encompassing upper, but it does have viable uses in specific situations. Particularly, it is great during any scenario where you have to run to turn something off.

Biobombs are fanTASTIC. Cast one boomer bile bomb on a Tank, and there goes your horde problem and the Tank gets roughed up for you. It's an extremely useful new item, I know personally I'll be using it over pipe bombs whenever possible.

Twig

Banned
Botolf said:
I can kinda see where Ami's coming from (I play Louis the most), he didn't talk about his job or his past doings much. I'm hoping Valve plays up the reporter angle in Rochelle. I figure a news reporter would have something interesting to say about the apocalypse.
I just want her to say clever reporter things.

"TANK! News at 11!"

credit goes to notsol337 for this specific quote

The more think about it, the new cast isn't that bad, Coach is by far the best, the only exception is that I hate Rochelle with a passion, there is just something about her I can't stand, would rather have zoey back, actually I changed my mind I'd rather have the old cast back, plus Coach and maybe Nick, 6 player co-op FTW.

Amir0x said:
I'm not sure what you mean about the Adrenaline shot and not noticing anything different on it.

On Adrenaline you gain a small amount of health, you move SUPER FAST, and you perform all actions faster - defibrillator, healing up, helping friends up. It doesn't have as wide a range of possible uses as pills, which is an all-encompassing upper, but it does have viable uses in specific situations. Particularly, it is great during any scenario where you have to run to turn something off.

Biobombs are fanTASTIC. Cast one boomer bile bomb on a Tank, and there goes your horde problem and the Tank gets roughed up for you. It's an extremely useful new item, I know personally I'll be using it over pipe bombs whenever possible.

i didn't notice any speed improvements with the adrenaline. i was the short guy in the green shirt. everything turned black and white and i was carrying on business as usual. i'll have to try it in different spots on the demo next time. i know it wouldn't be in the game if it didn't have SOME significant use. thanks for the help.

ahh that makes sense. all i thought it did was make the zombies go to where i threw it, sort of like the beacon on the pipe except without an explosion. next time i'll throw it on the tank or the guy with the big ass arm. :D (my AI team mates usually slay all of the zombies before my pipes/molotovs can be of much use. didn't seem this way in the first one.)

The demo left me wanting MORE!! Love the look of the environments. There are some nice refinements and additions and the gore definitely makes it more satisfying. Slashing down hordes of zombies with the machete is amazing. :D

Papercuts

i didn't notice any speed improvements with the adrenaline. i was the short guy in the green shirt. everything turned black and white and i was carrying on business as usual. i'll have to try it in different spots on the demo next time. i know it wouldn't be in the game if it didn't have SOME significant use. thanks for the help.

The adrenaline is crazy useful in the right situations. I had everyone downed and I was in yellow health at the top of the crescendo by the alarm. I tried picking one of them up but the zombies climbed it to quickly...so I took it out, smacked them off, injected and was able to get both of the people next to me up along with me healed before they got back up.

JRW

lol Wow.. the gore in this game is INSANE. I was incapacitated on the ground shooting at zombies that were stomping on me, then a nearby pipebomb explosion literally ripped one of the zombies in half right in front of me: FULL RES SHOT

Resized:
c5m2_park0033r.jpg

GWX

JRW said:
lol Wow.. the gore in this game is INSANE. I was incapacitated on the ground shooting at zombies that were stomping on me, then a nearby pipebomb explosion literally ripped one of the zombies in half right in front of me: Link

wow

fuckin' wow

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh god, after just discovering how awesome Left 4 Dead 1 was, im really hyped for this.

I just hope the port is as good as the first 360 game.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but someone online told me that the "RE: Your Brains" song on the jukebox will spawn a horde. I tried it out a couple of times in single player and it's true. When he sings the line "FYI you're all gonna die" a horde spawns on the word die every time.

Red Scarlet said:
It's only up to 2 players + 2 bots offline, unless you can link up 360's or something.
When I played it on 360, it was 2 players only, at least (offline).

So you could probably play online with 2 people where you are + 1 person somewhere else + 1 bot or another person somewhere else.

Either way, I think the most # of human players per console is 2.
I see. Thanks for the help.

I should've waited for a response before inviting two friends over to play it ;_; Which one to turn away...D:

Amir0x

Banned

No problem, I just found it a little strange that you missed the speed boost aspect of it. That's literally the first thing one notices outside of the "tin" sound and the effect on the visuals; you move like the goddamned Flash or something. And all actions you take, from healing to reviving, are significantly sped up. Today when I was playing on expert, a tank came and one of my friends got downed. My friend JP used Adrenaline on himself and picked him up in seconds with a tank barreling down on him. That's the type of situations it is useful in.

Whenever we're playing that Climax event near the end of the second level, we all jack up on Adrenaline before we run. This way we get to our destination quicker and with less damage taken.

ahh that makes sense. all i thought it did was make the zombies go to where i threw it, sort of like the beacon on the pipe except without an explosion. next time i'll throw it on the tank or the guy with the big ass arm. :D (my AI team mates usually slay all of the zombies before my pipes/molotovs can be of much use. didn't seem this way in the first one.)

Yeah you can slay all the zombies with pipes in first game too, if you're so inclined, though it's a waste of ammo. In the first game you can never run out of ammo unless you're shooting wildly in the air, but in this game it seems like it's much more possible to run out particularly with the shotguns. They're much more fickle ammo-wise.

Boomer Bile bombs are total distractions, but they're definitely best against Special Infected and Tanks. They're going to be devilish in Versus mode :D

Had a good expert run with Amirox and our buddies, we were all red heading to the safe room when a charger spawned right in front of us and charge right into us, incapping us all. God I cant wait to the full game comes out

Amir0x

Banned
GhettoGamer said:
Had a good expert run with Amirox and our buddies, we were all red heading to the safe room when a charger spawned right in front of us and charge right into us, incapping us all. God I cant wait to the full game comes out

That was hilarious. All four of us were like at 10 health or less, and we were hobbling over and EUG saw that Charger spawn right in front of us, and it was totally an "ah fuck" moment when it like killed one instantly and incapped two others in the charge, and I got killed by the horde trying to come back :lol

Papercuts

My best moment so far was having two people left both at 1hp. A witch was walking near the path to the saferoom so we were limping right behind it, a horde was about to come right when we got near, I was close enough to the safe room but my friend wasn't. I threw boomer bile at the witch and got in the safe room, she stops going after you when that happens and just massacred the incoming horde allowing him to limp to it. :lol

-the overall feeling that it all seems more like a big expansion moreso than a sequel. i hate admitting that i fall into 'that group' but i just didn't feel like it was a whole new game, but just a continuation with some additions.
My question to this is always "what would make it not an expansion?" They added pretty much everything they could add in a L4D sequel. It just seems like a backlash of entitlement because Valve was excited to get the sequel done fast instead of waiting a few years where everyone would just be excited that there's a new Left 4 Dead.

Cynar

Papercuts said:
My best moment so far was having two people left both at 1hp. A witch was walking near the path to the saferoom so we were limping right behind it, a horde was about to come right when we got near, I was close enough to the safe room but my friend wasn't. I threw boomer bile at the witch and got in the safe room, she stops going after you when that happens and just massacred the incoming horde allowing him to limp to it. :lol

I threw boomer bile on the witch ones and she ran right at me instead and ignored the horde. Sounds like a lucky break for you. :p

Amir0x said:
No problem, I just found it a little strange that you missed the speed boost aspect of it. That's literally the first thing one notices outside of the "tin" sound and the effect on the visuals; you move like the goddamned Flash or something. And all actions you take, from healing to reviving, are significantly sped up. Today when I was playing on expert, a tank came and one of my friends got downed. My friend JP used Adrenaline on himself and picked him up in seconds with a tank barreling down on him. That's the type of situations it is useful in.

Whenever we're playing that Climax event near the end of the second level, we all jack up on Adrenaline before we run. This way we get to our destination quicker and with less damage taken.

hmm, i was circle strafing around a big pile of zombies beating up my AI buddies and didn't notice any speed improvement. should i have just ran straight forward? playing more tonight when i get home.

Amir0x said:
Yeah you can slay all the zombies with pipes in first game too, if you're so inclined, though it's a waste of ammo. In the first game you can never run out of ammo unless you're shooting wildly in the air, but in this game it seems like it's much more possible to run out particularly with the shotguns. They're much more fickle ammo-wise.

Boomer Bile bombs are total distractions, but they're definitely best against Special Infected and Tanks. They're going to be devilish in Versus mode :D

weird, i was always running out of ammo on the first game, and then on the L4D2 demo there was plenty of ammo piles and new guns laying around to swap out with. err, well i ran out of machine pistol ammo in the beginning pretty fast and had to switch to pistol, but right after finding the deagle ammo was never an issue.

i really want to go find the bile bomb again and try it on a jockey. with my luck though my AI buddies will snipe him right as im tossing it. :lol

Papercuts

Cynar said:
I threw boomer bile on the witch ones and she ran right at me instead and ignored the horde. Sounds like a lucky break for you. :p

Yeah, boomer bile sucks on her. But if you shoot a witch and then go into the safe room she just turns around and runs away. Since I threw the bile she did that but also killed the infected that were going to attack her. A rare case of it being useful to get her to work for you!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
JRW said:
lol Wow.. the gore in this game is INSANE. I was incapacitated on the ground shooting at zombies that were stomping on me, then a nearby pipebomb explosion literally ripped one of the zombies in half right in front of me: FULL RES SHOT

lol, Chicago Ted is an amazing name

Has anybody noticed differences in the Tank AI? He seems a lot more ... fair? Like, everytime weve encountered him we get to move around a bit mre instead of being overwhelmed ASAP ... and of course the Boomer puke helps a lot against the Tank, amazing addition.

Also, I love melee weapons, great when youre surrounded and need to GTFO

Cynar said:

Boomer Bile + Witch sounds like such an enticing proposition, but in practice it's more of a death trap for the thrower. I've seen her get trapped by a horde and forced to fight them, only to the entire horde apart and then successfully take down a survivor.

Raging Spaniard said:
Has anybody noticed differences in the Tank AI? He seems a lot more ... fair?

He seems like he's got less health and isn't as deadly, but he's smarter; he'll go after other survivors after incapping one, instead of staying on the incapped one and trying to kill him. I'm pretty sure Valve took the player data from L4D's Versus and applied it to the Special Infected here, since they all seem to coordinate their attacks better.

Papercuts

Raging Spaniard said:
lol, Chicago Ted is an amazing name

Has anybody noticed differences in the Tank AI? He seems a lot more ... fair? Like, everytime weve encountered him we get to move around a bit mre instead of being overwhelmed ASAP ... and of course the Boomer puke helps a lot against the Tank, amazing addition.

Also, I love melee weapons, great when youre surrounded and need to GTFO

Eh, the area he shows up in is pretty open, it might be different in other levels. I feel like they nerfed his health but at the same time he is even more lethal. Instead of downing a survivor and staying there to kill them while he gets filled with lead he acts like a Versus tank and downs someone and moves immediately to the next, so he'll aim to incap all 4 instead of completely killing them.

But yeah, puke is GREAT on him.

Amir0x said:

Another nice feature of the Bile Bomb is that although it doesn't kill the common infected really, it distracts them for a lot longer than a pipe-bomb. For me it's a godsend during the crescendo event on the demo, once you've thrown it and taken the adrenaline you can be up on the scaffolding before they really start coming after you again, giving you the advantage.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Perhaps the greatest thing about melee weapons is that AS SOON as I see a special infected, I take out my frying pan :lol

Few things are more satisfying than hearing that "CLANK" noise off a Smokers face

Sibylus

Banned
I once shot a zombie's crotch off and he still lived. It was during the crescendo and he was below me, so he was running through the maze while his nether regions left a meandering blood trail on the ground. Ouch.

Amir0x said:

?! Louis and Zoey are my favorite. :( Then Francis, then boring Bill.

dragonlife29 said:
I see. Thanks for the help.

I should've waited for a response before inviting two friends over to play it ;_; Which one to turn away...D:

That's what happened to me..went to a friend's house who had it for 360, and was all I'M GONNA TEAR SHIT UP, then found out only 2 could play. He should get a link cable, he has like 10+ 360's (repairs them or something).

Top Bottom