• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom completely denies that their COO says SF5 could have pay2win mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

From the Article

No thank you, just let the franchise die off.

That's impossible as SF2, 3 and 4 will be played for years to come :V

Besides you're all bitching now but once SF5 gets released and by its 2nd/3rd iteration it'll be the main stay of the FGC.

Kieli

Wait a second... wait a second?!?!?!

Pay for advantage. FUUUCK NO.

I want execution to be a bit more forgiving, but not like this Cacpcom... not like this!!!

Skilletor

I'm ok with this. I can barely pull of a 3-hit combo with Ryu in SF4:AE.

Like, c.LP --> c.LP --> c.MK has never been this hard in other games like Skullgirls or P4A... I tap them and the character does them. In SF, the characters don't do anything after the first button press until I time it perfectly. -.-

That's because the other games have chain combos and you're trying to do a link. SFxT is what you want to play.

But whatever, they've said this about every game, and the games always end up taking tons of skill to play. Glad they've said they're working on it.

This sounds exactly like gems, which had a negligible impact on anything other than hatred of SFxT (which is an awesome game).

DryvBy

As a means to achieve that (prevent unskilled players from losing instantaneously), Capcom is looking into possibly implementing some kind of pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.

WTF is this ish?

No, devs. Please stop making my games easier. If Demon's Souls/Dark Souls taught you guys anything, making a game harder and fair is the way to go. SFIV is great for new comers. If they want to get good, play until you learn or use the training room!

I suck at fighters for the most part. But I play with a few Gaffers online every now and then to get better.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Really Hope this game comes to PC ......

pay-for-advantage system

well.....maybe not

I really hope they dont go this route. This is not what street fighter needs at all

Bizazedo

As a means to achieve that (prevent unskilled players from losing instantaneously), Capcom is looking into possibly implementing some kind of pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.

Didn't they learn from SFxTekken?

Or....

"Pay for advantage is to pay to have a pro play some of the matches for you. It will be on rotation by month.

Month 1? Combofiend himself will watch and take control of some of your matches!"

Seyavesh

"We'd like to steer away from making the next game such that skilled players will win, but unskilled players will lose almost instantaneously," Tsujimoto said.

lmao

hey look it's a guy who literally does not understand the appeal of fighting games on a competitive level

the pay for advantage thing is sfxt continued but look at that quote

look at that quote

"We'd like to steer away from making the next game such that skilled players will win, but unskilled players will lose almost instantaneously," Tsujimoto said.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
LOL in other words, because there are shitty players out there, they need to put this in otherwise that would be unfair. Capcom are clearly not capitalistic, they're communist and want everyone on the same level. /s

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So how long did SFIV take to make?

I'd imagine they're going to build on the same foundation, so I'm expecting something a bit shorter than that length of time.
3+ years.

And they for sure won't use MT Framework, Ono said they'll look into the Panty raid engine if it makes sense.

Also, Ono said not to expect anything until 2018. Development starting this year or next year at the earliest makes sense. Ono even tweeted himself working on gameplay concepts a few weeks ago.

petghost

Banned
that sounds worrying...hopefully they keep that kind of philosophy away from the development. the fact that SF is a skilled based game with reads and execution and strategy etc is why it is a prestigious franchise and why people play it...

RIP streetfighter franchise

How dumb do you have to be to alienate your guaranteed fanbase in the hopes of attracting some fleeting casuals who will zone out and wander off to a different game within a day/week , never to look back.

The pay for advantage thing is hilarious, so they're just putting the tekken system of being able to give your friend x percent more health behind a paywall, only without the other player having to give his consent for the advantage.

Riposte

You assholes been talking to Sakurai!?

I just want Alex, Necro, and Q to finally make the cut. Oh, and trim down the focus on all the one-frame links, please. Oh, and don't throw every damn character under the Sun into the game either.

Better music too, please :)

k4n3

Banned
pay for advantage.... so if i spend $100 i get auto block and 3 button combos that knock off 50% health right? ;\

bigkrev

That's impossible as SF2, 3 and 4 will be played for years to come :V

Besides you're all bitching now but once SF5 gets released and by its 2nd/3rd iteration it'll be the main stay of the FGC.

I know that Gems were like the 7th thing terrible about SFxT, but I could see the FGC ignoring the game if it is pay-to-win.

Skilletor

SF4 is here to stay baby!

10 more years!

SF4 was always here to stay.

The great thing about SF4 compared to other fighters is that the sequel doesn't replace its predecessor. Not immediately, at least. People will play SF4, just like they continued to play SF3, just like they continued to play A3 all the way back to ST.

FACE

Banned

Hit the jump to read more on what the Capcom president and COO has to say about Street Fighter 5.

it5vzP1txwAwd.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seems like way too soon for a Street Fighter title. Was expecting an anthology type release for next-gen before this.
It's already long overdue. They should have stopped putting band-aids on SFIV and switched over a long time ago. 10 years between titles is excess by any measure.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about fighting games, so it's probably high blasphemy for me to say this, but... The New Millenium controls don't sound like the worst thing in the world. Is it possible that allowing people to work on understanding the function of each move separately from execution would make the learning curve less intimidating without totally ruining the game forever?
New Millenium already exists, it's called Easy Mode and it changed nothing in the games it exists. A person who does not want to learn a game will not learn it no matter how easy it is.

Also for the record, Sirlin is a fool.

Pungza

What does it mean by Pay for advantage?

Spending actual money, or game mechanic using portion life or something for damage boost

Varjet

Ryu said:
A defeat learned from is more important than an empty victory.

For shame, Capcom :p

Anth0ny

rip in peace fighting games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What does it mean by Pay for advantage?

Spending actual money, or game mechanic using portion life or something for damage boost

Given everything Capcom has been doing lately, and that this guy is a financials person talking to a newspaper, almost assuredly actual money.

nikos

Any sort of payment system will be rejected by the FGC and would not work in a tournament setting. As my most anticipated game, I really hope they don't go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom