• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

The 2 largest factors in the disappointing launch was price and a lack of a killer 1st party title, as well as a post launch drought.

I think you're oversimplifying the variables here. The price complaint I think has less to do with some notion that $300-$350 is too high a price for video game hardware in as much as it is that $300-$350 is too high given the perceived value of the Wii U. The perceived value of something can be increased by features. Yes, having a better looking Call of Duty may not hide the fact that people want a 3D Mario or Zelda or Smash type first party game at launch, but I do think they could have generated some buzz if a side-by-side comparison did clearly indicate that the Wii U had the best versions of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and so on. Better graphical tech has traditionally been a pretty strong selling point for convincing consumers to buy new hardware.

When you lack that hook, you need something else to fall back on. With the Wii, obviously, the Wiimote gambit payed off. With the Wii U, they seem to have opted for features with dubious appeal -- those being the GamePad and a console that has low power consumption. That, in my opinion, is the big problem. I don't think they focused on the right features in terms of attracting mass market appeal.

Sure, it would have done better with a 3D Mario at launch and a $250 pricepoint, but I disagree that this gets to the crux of what went wrong with the Wii U launch, which is that I don't think they made the right tradeoffs in its design.

Perfect. Nintendo is the king of milking, yet people point fingers at Activision.

Hmm it must be because Nintendo games are basically treated in another manner or take different approaches sometimes. Mario is basically dynasty and Nintendo is basically royalty in terms of brand power. When people look at both they automatically think high quality game or very fun games that is family friendly.

I wonder what it'll be like if Nintendo didn't have their brand to fall back on and their established ip. The quality would be there, but would it make the same impact?

MrT-Tar

Perfect. Nintendo is the king of milking, yet people point fingers at Activision.

I disagree. Outside of a few exceptions (Mario Party in the 6th gen for example), Nintendo is pretty restrained with its franchises, despite some of them being mega popular. The same can't really be said of Activision. For example compare Zelda and CoD over the course of the 7th gen. Zelda saw 4 installments: TP (not sure whether it would count though), PH, ST and SS. CoD on the other hand had 9 iirc: 2 (might not count, like TP), 3, MW, WaW, MW2, Mobilised, BO, MW3, BO2 and probably one later this year.

Wat.

Unless you consider Wii Music a new exciting franchise from Nintendo...

The last new note worthy character based I.P. Nintendo did was Pikmin. That was 12 years ago.

To be fair if you look past EAD you'll find some interesting new IPs but yeah, Nintendo proper has been running the well dry for the better part of the decade. In the other thread people are complaining about the potential PS4 launch, yet Sony at least launches one major 1st party IP at retail every year (The Last of Us this year, Gravity Rush last) to say nothing of their downloadable entries.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yes, having a better looking Call of Duty may not hide the fact that people want a 3D Mario or Zelda or Smash type first party game at launch, but I do think they could have generated some buzz if a side-by-side comparison did clearly indicate that the Wii U had the best versions of Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and so on. Better graphical tech has traditionally been a pretty strong selling point for convincing consumers to buy new hardware.

I just don't see it. Even if the Wii U version performed the best, it was still going to be the same game with the same engine, with no noticeable differences to 99% of the potential audience. Would it have generated some good will on forums like gaf? Sure. Would it have made a substantial part of the PS360 audience buy a Wii U? I doubt it.

I agree that Nintendo needed a game that really wowed graphically instead of 2D Mario- I disagree that a 3rd party would have provided that game.

Vire

nope, just because it might not be games you are not really interested in, doesn't mean they are not new IPs. These are all games published or created by Nintendo.

Nintendo Wii

Art Style
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Wii Play
Endless Ocean
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Captain Rainbow
Common sense of people power TV
Tact of Magic
FlingSmash
Dynamic Slash
And-Kensaku
Pandora's Tower
Kiki Trick
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Zangeki no Reginleiv

Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
You, Me and the Cubes
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

Wii-U

P-100
Panorama View
Nintendo Land
X

Game Boy Advance

Golden Sun
Magical Vacation
Napoleon
Kuririn
Horse Racing Creating Derby
Stafy
Tomato Adventure
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Drill Dozer
Rhythm Tengoku
bit Generations

Nintendo DS

Polarium
Nintendogs
Jump Super Stars
Electroplankton
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
Clubhouse Games
Magnetica
Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Trace Memory
Master of Illusion
Slide Adventure MAGKID
Soma Bringer
Jam with the Band
Fossil Fighters
Style Savvy
Glory of Heracles
Friend Collection
Walk with me! Do you know your walking routine?
Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat?

Dsi
Aura Aura Climber
Art Academy
Kappa Trail
Pinball Pulse: The Ancient Beckons

Nintendo 3ds
Steel Diver

3DS Ware
Harmo Knight
Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
Pushmo
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors

Way to go in listing 60% games NOT made by Nintendo. I'm talking about being developed internally from Nintendo themselves.

Secondly, you are seriously listing Gamecube and Gameboy Advance games? That's over 10 years ago.

majik13

he said character based IP so that he could exclude certain data sets, silly.

maybe i am not following, the comment I replied to only said
"Their investment should have been in the software and the creation of new ips for years."

I dont see anything about character based in the full comment either.

Way to go in listing 60% games NOT made by Nintendo.

So the only IP Microsoft has is Flight Simulator? What?

EDIT:
maybe i am not following, the comment I replied to only said
"Their investment should have been in the software and the creation of new ips for years."

you need to L2GAF; when you make a broad sweeping statement, make a pointless exclusionary addendum so that it 'proves' true, despite evidence to the contrary.

e.g. - "Nintendo hasn't made a new character based IP with only their internal studios for over a decade".
Pushmo? Steel Diver? Harmoknight? They don't count that way.

majik13

Way to go in listing 60% games NOT made by Nintendo.

you can clearly see that I said published and created in my post. How is publishing not an investment in new ips, as what was the comment I was replying too. Why are people trying to downplay this list with minutia?

Way to go in listing 60% games NOT made by Nintendo. I'm talking about being developed internally from Nintendo themselves.

Secondly, you are seriously listing Gamecube and Gameboy Advance games? That's over 10 years ago.

hush, they want to think nintendo created exciting new ips, let them!

Vire

you can clearly see that I said published and created in my post. How is publishing not an investment in new ips, as what was the comment I was replying too. Why are people trying to downplay this list with minutia?

Your original point of contention was:

but they have created a tremendous amount of new IPs over the years.

Now you are switching the story to "published and created" so you can pad out a completely ridiculous list.

Way to go.

I agree that Nintendo needed a game that really wowed graphically instead of 2D Mario- I disagree that a 3rd party would have provided that game.

If the Wii U was capable of having Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed run closer to the PC's high settings as opposed to worse than the 360, I do think some buzz may have been generated. I'm not saying it would have generated massive amounts of hype, mind you, but I think it certainly could have helped create some enthusiasm. I think there's a disconnect here where you think that a better looking third party title would have required massive investments of resources, whereas what some of us are referring to is just that if the hardware was more capable -- was undeniably a step up in every regard from current tech -- improving the graphics wouldn't have required a substantial effort. Higher end PCs can already run the same game in a fashion that looks superior to the 360 version. Superior Wii U hardware would theoretically be able to do something similar with minimal effort.

nope, just because it might not be games you are not really interested in, doesn't mean they are not new IPs. These are all games published or created by Nintendo.

Nintendo Gamecube

Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
GiFTPiA
Donkey Konga
Battalion Wars
Geist
Chibi-Robo!
Odama

Nintendo Wii

Art Style
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Wii Play
Endless Ocean
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Captain Rainbow
Tact of Magic
FlingSmash
Dynamic Slash
And-Kensaku
Pandora's Tower
Kiki Trick
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Zangeki no Reginleiv

Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
You, Me and the Cubes
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

Wii-U

P-100
Panorama View
Nintendo Land
X

Game Boy Advance

Golden Sun
Magical Vacation
Napoleon
Kuririn
Stafy
Tomato Adventure
Drill Dozer
Rhythm Tengoku
bit Generations

Nintendo DS

Polarium
Nintendogs
Jump Super Stars
Electroplankton
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
Clubhouse Games
Magnetica
Elite Beat Agents
Trace Memory
Master of Illusion
Slide Adventure MAGKID
Soma Bringer
Jam with the Band
Fossil Fighters
Style Savvy
Glory of Heracles
Friend Collection

Dsi
Aura Aura Climber
Art Academy
Kappa Trail

Nintendo 3ds
Steel Diver

3DS Ware
Harmo Knight
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors
What's sad is that I can tell you have this list saved on your computer somewhere so you can post it anytime someone accuses Nintendo of not having enough new IPs.

If anything, you just pointed out how many of Nintendo's new IPs are garbage.

schuelma

If the Wii U was capable of having Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed run closer to the PC's high settings as opposed to worse than the 360, I do think some buzz may have been generated. I'm not saying it would have generated massive amounts of hype, mind you, but I think it certainly could have helped create some enthusiasm. I think there's a disconnect here where you think that a better looking third party title would have required massive investments of resources, whereas what some of us are referring to is just that if the hardware was more capable -- was undeniably a step up in every regard from current tech -- improving the graphics wouldn't have required a substantial effort. Higher end PCs can already run the same game in a fashion that looks superior to the 360 version. Superior Wii U hardware would theoretically be able to do something similar with minimal effort.

My point is that superior ports of current gen games would have done little to change the value proposition.

Just because it's an exclusive doesn't mean it's made by Nintendo. What the hell.

Right, and Gears of War is made by Epic, Fable is made by Lionhead, Kinect Sports is made by Rare, Halo is made by 343 / Bungie, Forza is made by Turn 10, and Crackdown was made by Realtime Worlds / Ruffian.

So by your own
retarded
definition, the only IP MS makes is Flight Sim.

EDIT: Oh, and Solitaire and Minesweeper I guess.

Hell, I'd buy a Wii U with a pro controller instead of the tablet controller for $250 in a heartbeat. The tablet doesn't do anything for me at this point.

AzaK

I said this in the Rayman thread yesterday but whatever..

Nintendo should of held back on the release of Wii U until they had substantial software for it. Mario 3D, Mario Kart, Pikmin, 101, etc. They would be up against PS4/X3, but will be anyway.
Yeah and I feel they knew this drought would be here all along. Either due to Dev progress or deciding to save the games for Orbis and Durango counter punches.

Vire

Right, and Gears of War is made by Epic, Fable is made by Lionhead, Kinect Sports is made by Rare, Halo is made by 343 / Bungie, Crackdown was made by Realtime Worlds / Ruffian.

So by your own
retarded
definition, the only IP MS makes is Flight Sim.

Yes? Microsoft isn't a game software producer. They hire/own studios that make games for them.

Nintendo has been making game software themselves for 30+ years. I don't really see your point.

orioto

Good Art™
but they have created a tremendous amount of new IPs over the years. Miyamoto is even creating a new one as we speak for wiiu

They created new ips with new horizons in mind, and that worked for a time actually. What they didn't do is creating new ips, and modernizing their existing ones, to reach the actual gaming market. That's their problem right now.

Back at the very start of 2011.

Exactly, would be a big problem if they hadn't any appealing ips beyond their fans nor revolutionary control method.. Oh wait...

That's why i'm saying they could have focused on a classic hardware.. if they had been focusing on compelling and offensive software strategy in recent years... But that's not the case.

Nintendo needs to do 2 things. Release a console designed to compete for the traditional gamers (more power, better online/account systems), and branch out on their software development. They need to start setting up or buying (western) studios to create exclusive FPS, open world games etc. And they need to be big, and AAA. Then market them and push the shit out of them. Only then, when Nintendo gets their own Halo, Gears of War, GTA 3 etc. and it sells, will third parties care about putting their own equivalent games on the system. This is how Microsoft did it. Combine that with Japanese support and their existing first party franchises.

Yes? Microsoft isn't a game software producer. They hire/own studios that make games for them.

Nintendo has been making game software themselves for 30+ years. I don't really see your point.

Microsoft are;
- A software developer
- A publisher
- A console manufacturer
all at the same time.

Nintendo are;
- A software developer
- A publisher
- A console manufacturer
all at the same time.

I don't see your point.

AzaK

I agree. It would have helped generate buzz, kept them competitive when others jones come out and made western third parties happier and more likely to start their 'next gen' effort......mTbe

My point is that superior ports of current gen games would have done little to change the value proposition.

I guess we agree to disagree. Just to be clear, I'm not saying marginal improvements in their ports would have made the system fly off the shelves, but I do think solidifying in people's minds that the platform is technically superior could generate more interest, particularly when you have concrete examples you can point to.

I see that UK is still bomba land, it'll be interesting to see how next gen will perform.

In regards to the Wii U and Vita, how is the UK any different than any other region of the world? Both devices are disasters in all regions.

Giving the allusion that you're superior to 8 year old consoles would have gone a long way to change the value proposition. Instead what we got were a ton of reviews of games stating that the Wii U version was almost as good as their 360/PS3 counterparts. That's not good.

Nintendo Gamecube

Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
GiFTPiA
Donkey Konga
Battalion Wars
Geist
Chibi-Robo!
Odama

Nintendo Wii

Art Style
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Wii Play
Endless Ocean
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Captain Rainbow
Tact of Magic
FlingSmash
Dynamic Slash
And-Kensaku
Pandora's Tower
Kiki Trick
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Zangeki no Reginleiv

Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
You, Me and the Cubes
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

Wii-U

P-100
Panorama View
Nintendo Land
X

Game Boy Advance

Golden Sun
Magical Vacation
Napoleon
Kuririn
Stafy
Tomato Adventure
Drill Dozer
Rhythm Tengoku
bit Generations

Nintendo DS

Polarium
Nintendogs
Jump Super Stars
Electroplankton
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
Clubhouse Games
Magnetica
Elite Beat Agents
Trace Memory
Master of Illusion
Slide Adventure MAGKID
Soma Bringer
Jam with the Band
Fossil Fighters
Style Savvy
Glory of Heracles
Friend Collection

Dsi
Aura Aura Climber
Art Academy
Kappa Trail

Nintendo 3ds
Steel Diver

3DS Ware
Harmo Knight
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors

Fuck yes Common sense of people power TV

majik13

Your original point of contention was:

Now you are switching the story to "published and created" so you can pad out a completely ridiculous list.

Way to go.

whatever, some people think there last new IP was Pikmin, or Wii sports, as was already demonstrated here in this thread.
i try to show the contrary, and some how it is not true because of semantics.

Even taking away just published, or older games, there is still a significant amount of new IPS. But I wasn't aware there were all these qualifiers to make something legit, my bad.

Also, Nintendo is know for making big gameplay changes across IPs. Like Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, etc, that could be considered new IP if it weren't for the main character.

schuelma

In regards to the Wii U and Vita, how is the UK any different than any other region of the world? Both devices are disasters in all regions.

Wii U is still doing better in Japan user base wise and I am pretty sure it is doing much better in the U.S.

majik13

What's sad is that I can tell you have this list saved on your computer somewhere so you can post it anytime someone accuses Nintendo of not having enough new IPs.

what is sad is that you dont know about google, and that you probabaly didnt play most of these games.

Vire

Microsoft are;
- A software developer
- A publisher
- A console manufacturer
all at the same time.

Nintendo are;
- A software developer
- A publisher
- A console manufacturer
all at the same time.

I don't see your point.

The original discussion was that Nintendo hasn't made any new I.P's in quite a while. Not that they haven't owned companies who produced I.P's, not that they didn't publish new I.P's from other developers. It was that Nintendo THEMSELVES (Nintendo EAD, you know the people who only make Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Animal Crossing etc etc) have not produced a new original core game in a while.

I don't really see what is so hard to understand.

Probably. I really am curious to see how the market will response to sony and MS machines. I am not sold on the fact they will have easier than nintendo. Only advantage both have is they are also multimedia machines.
In that regard, though, will they be doing much PS3 doesn't? I know the PS3's multimedia capabilities were a big reason I got it, but since it's already there whether the new systems can play Blu-ray movies or video files from an SD card isn't a gain.
yurinka said:
As I know GameCube was always sold at profit
Ehh. I remember reports of them taking a small loss at launch, and considering how quickly they dropped down to $150 and then $100 it wouldn't surprise me if they returned to it for a while.

Wii U is still doing better in Japan user base wise and I am pretty sure it is doing much better in the U.S.

Much better than what? Total numbers maybe. Per capita though? Wii Us are gathering dust in stores all over America. I assume just as they're doing in the UK. This isn't a case of the UK market being in turmoil. It's a matter of the Wii U being the wrong console at the right time. Time will tell if the new Xbox and/or PS4 will be the right console at the right time.

The original discussion was that Nintendo hasn't made any new I.P's in quite a while. Not that they haven't owned companies who produced I.P's, not that they didn't publish new I.P's from other developers. It was that Nintendo THEMSELVES (Nintendo EAD, you know the people who only make Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Animal Crossing etc etc) have no produced a new original core game in a while.

So you're saying that Pokémon is not a Nintendo IP.

And you don't see anything amiss with your personal definition of what is and isn't a Nintendo IP...?

majik13

In regards to the Wii U and Vita, how is the UK any different than any other region of the world? Both devices are disasters in all regions..

I think it is only really bad in the UK, Everywhere else WiiU sales have began to pick up this last week, only marginally though.

The original discussion was that Nintendo hasn't made any new I.P's in quite a while. Not that they haven't owned companies who produced I.P's, not that they didn't publish new I.P's from other developers. It was that Nintendo THEMSELVES (Nintendo EAD, you know the people who only make Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Animal Crossing etc etc) have no produced a new original core game in a while.

I dont think that was made clear in the original post though. And why do they have to be held to a certain standard when compared to their competitors.

MisterHero

There's nothing wrong with having a organized reference list. It's not his fault others are extremely ignorant of Nintendo making new games.

That said, it doesn't change the seperate issue of Nintendo and localization.

The original discussion was that Nintendo hasn't made any new I.P's in quite a while. Not that they haven't owned companies who produced I.P's, not that they didn't publish new I.P's from other developers. It was that Nintendo THEMSELVES (Nintendo EAD, you know the people who only make Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Animal Crossing etc etc) have not produced a new original core game in a while.

I don't really see what is so hard to understand.

So why not say EAD if that's what you mean?

schuelma

Much better than what? Total numbers maybe. Per capita though? Wii Us are gathering dust in stores all over America. I assume just as they're doing in the UK. This isn't a case of the UK market being in turmoil. It's a matter of the Wii U being the wrong console at the right time. Time will tell if the new Xbox and/or PS4 will be the right console at the right time.

Uh what does per capita mean when comparing system install bases from 2 systems?

Drek

Going to go out on a limb here and assume you believe New Super Mario Bros U doesn't count as a Mario game for some reason, because that was the first time since the N64 a console launched with a Mario game.

Not even remotely.

What does NSMBU do to sell me on the tablet? Nothing. Its a regurgitated formula when the legitimate Mario games have successively been the "proof of concept" for Nintendo's hardware advancements.

The original Mario and it's NES sequels were perfect examples of what could be done on a home console versus the arcade. How much more content packed you could make a game if players weren't tied to quarters/a limited window to play in.

Super Mario World showed off the SNES graphical prowess with perfect clarity, making the hardware advancement obvious to all and justifying the additional buttons added to the controller.

Mario 64 truly kicked off the fully 3D revolution.

Mario Sunshine, while misguided and underwhelming, at least tried to highlight the advantages of the new controller, and did clearly use the enhanced visual fidelity of the gamecube to great effect.

Mario Galaxy and it's sequel are the two best arguments for core gamers as to the value of the Wiimote controller change, and is a solid response to the claim that the Wii's lack of graphical hardware made it incapable of delivering stunning games.

NSMBU does none of this. It's a repackaged DS game that itself was a repackaged NES game. It fails to validate the new hardware changes and that above all else has been Mario's job.

As for launching with it, how did the N64 do despite spotting the PS1 a sizeable lead and Sony using that to secure most major 3rd party exclusives? Fairly well, right?

How did the Gamecube, which did not have a Mario game at launch, fare? Not nearly as well.

The Wii caught on as a casual fad and that carried it to great hardware sales success, but how did it do with core gamers when it didn't have Mario at launch to provide that validation?

Nintendo's struggles in the home console segment align with Nintendo's continued failure to get a console defining Mario game out at launch. Do you think that's just a coincidence?

AOC83

Banned

Nintendo Gamecube

Luigi's Mansion
Pikmin
GiFTPiA
Donkey Konga
Battalion Wars
Geist
Chibi-Robo!
Odama

Nintendo Wii

Art Style
Wii Sports
Excite Truck
Wii Play
Endless Ocean
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Captain Rainbow
Tact of Magic
FlingSmash
Dynamic Slash
And-Kensaku
Pandora's Tower
Kiki Trick
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Zangeki no Reginleiv

Wii-Ware

Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
You, Me and the Cubes
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

Wii-U

P-100
Panorama View
Nintendo Land
X

Game Boy Advance

Golden Sun
Magical Vacation
Napoleon
Kuririn
Stafy
Tomato Adventure
Drill Dozer
Rhythm Tengoku
bit Generations

Nintendo DS

Polarium
Nintendogs
Jump Super Stars
Electroplankton
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age
Clubhouse Games
Magnetica
Elite Beat Agents
Trace Memory
Master of Illusion
Slide Adventure MAGKID
Soma Bringer
Jam with the Band
Fossil Fighters
Style Savvy
Glory of Heracles
Friend Collection

Dsi
Aura Aura Climber
Art Academy
Kappa Trail

Nintendo 3ds
Steel Diver

3DS Ware
Harmo Knight
Pushmo
Dillon's Rolling Western
Ketzal's Corridors

You´d have to pay me to play most of this garbage.

Vire

So why not say EAD if that's what you mean?

When people are talking about software Nintendo has produced, it is synonymous with Nintendo EAD. They aren't talking about The Wonderful 100.... they (Nintendo) have absolutely nothing to do with the making of that game besides exclusivity rights.

That's the A team, that's the bread and butter of their entire company.

Top Bottom