• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection releasing on June 6

Shaneus

Aww, for a second I thought you were excited about them offering the slipcover in Australia. That'd mean I wouldn't have to get a third copy from ozgameshop...
That was exactly what I thought when I first saw it :/

I think I've opted to not get the slipcover one AND the steelbook. Can't justify it, especially when I've done things like by two copies of Driveclub but hardly looked at the still-shrinkwrapped steelbook. And there's no mention of any themes coming with the ozgameshop one, either.

That was exactly what I thought when I first saw it :/

I think I've opted to not get the slipcover one AND the steelbook. Can't justify it, especially when I've done things like by two copies of Driveclub but hardly looked at the still-shrinkwrapped steelbook. And there's no mention of any themes coming with the ozgameshop one, either.

I wouldn't do this for any series other than WipEout, but it's my favourite series bar none. It's also comparatively cheap at launch, has bonuses that I unabashedly love, is a chance to show Sony that there's still fans (unnervingly rabid ones lol), and it'll make a good present for a friend. That said, might cancel the slipcover if I'm strapped.

Xbudz

I just ordered Wipeout Omega and the Steelbook

I'm hoping for a PS4Pro price drop, until then I'll be playing on my roomies PS4

Maddrical

Forgot this was almost out! So keen for my steelbook to arrive. Haven't turned on my PS4 aside from Netflix & Plex in quite a while now, be good to give it a spin.

Deband

How did the online work on ps3? Modes and lobby setups. Think I played it once, but I can't remember if it s any good.

How did the online work on ps3? Modes and lobby setups. Think I played it once, but I can't remember if it s any good.

Well it's still had a relatively active community despite all these years. Can only imagine it's more refined now. Races, Eliminator, Zone Battle...

Shin-Ra

John Broomhall talks with supervising sound designer Loic Couthier about re-imagining the soundtrack of an iconic franchise

“It has twice the music of previous incarnations,” said Loic Couthier, supervising sound designer on the collection. “28 licensed tracks from WipEout legends like The Prodigy & The Chemical Brothers through to unreleased tracks from breaking artists. We have a range of DSP effects applied to the music in real-time, based on gameplay. Like the reintroduced resonant high-pass filtering as you jump/fly with your ship. Plus, everything’s mixed in 7.1 exclusively for the game!

“Our music supervisor, Duncan Smith, approached all labels/artists for multiple stems to enable us to dynamically pan them in real-time and up/downmix the soundtrack on-the-fly depending on speaker setup, perfectly maintaining audio quality/content no matter the channel count.”
“Every sound I identified as iconic (as a fan) is remastered,” said Couthier. “A combination of EQ, redesign/ re-synthesis, adding new layers to fill gaps in the spectrum, and increasing impact and dynamic range. Almost all other sounds have been totally redesigned with modern tools. We’ve added real-time parameters in code (such as altitude, acceleration, doppler) to better represent gameplay with audio.”

With PS4 developers encouraged to achieve an average loudness of -24 LUFS, Couthier knew he would have way more headroom compared with previous titles released during the ‘loudness war’: “The original games’ mixes were (as you’d expect) very flat, but the new standard allows much more dynamics.”

Everyone looks so hyped about this, I feel like when it was announced people were kinda disappointed? Did something change or am I completely misremembering? Because I want to be excited for this and it looks like I should be.

Everyone looks so hyped about this, I feel like when it was announced people were kinda disappointed? Did something change or am I completely misremembering? Because I want to be excited for this and it looks like I should be.

The only reasons I can imagine for being disappointed is that this is a re-release of games we've already played before, and there's no VR support. I think there was some concern early on about whether the career and racebox modes from all the games would make it in but that's all been confirmed now.

If you aren't concerned about the two things I listed above, I'm not sure why this wouldn't be exciting. Wipeout on PS4, man!

The only real disappointment is that for being an Omega aka "ultimate" collection, it does not include the iconic PS1 titles. But if you're okay with that, it looks to be a fantastic package.

Fantastic news! This is definitely a series that needs someone on the team who cares about sound design. I'm liking what I'm hearing about increased dynamic range.

The only real disappointment is that for being an Omega aka "ultimate" collection, it does not include the iconic PS1 titles. But if you're okay with that, it looks to be a fantastic package.

Fantastic news! This is definitely a series that needs someone on the team who cares about sound design. I'm liking what I'm hearing about increased dynamic range.

Also some people think it needs to be in VR.

If it was implemented like Thumper, it would indeed be great. But this game is still going to be a blast as-is.

The full track list:

1. ADDIKTION – Shake It (Wipeout Omega Instrumental Edit)
2. Airwolf – Talking Bass feat. Stace Cadet (Taiki Nulight Edit)
3. Black Sun Empire & State of Mind – Kill That Noise (Wipeout Omega Edit)
4. Boys Noize – XTC (The Chemical Brothers Remix)
5. Brodinski feat Louisahhh – Let The Beat Control Your Body
6. Carbon Community vs. Burufunk – Community Funk (Deadmau5 remix)
7. David Tort & Danielle Simeone – You Got To (Wipeout Omega Edit)
8. DC Breaks – Breathe (Instrumental VIP Mix)
9. CODE:MANTA – DFCK
10. Dillon Francis & NGHTMRE – Need You (DJ Hanzel & Drezo Remix)
11. DJ Kentaro feat. Matrix & Futurebound – North South East West (Tha New Team Remix)
12. Emika – Double Edge (GeRM Remix)
13. James Talk – Remote (Deadmau5 Remix)
14. Jerome Isma-Ae & Paul Thomas – Tomorrow (Luke Chable Remix)
15. Krakota – Lust Thrust
16. Matrix & Futurebound – Glow Worm
17. Matt Anthony – Headlights
18. Memtrix – IC YR PAIN
19. Metrik – Bring It Like That
20. Movement Machina & Timo Vaittinen – Upsides Have Downsides (Wipeout Omega Edit)
21. Noisia & The Upbeats – Dead Limit
22. Red One – Born Free
23. Soundprank – Obsidian
24. Swanky Tunes – Give It
25. Swedish House Mafia vs Knife Party – Antidote (Swedish House Mafia Dub)
26. The Chemical Bros – C-h-e-m-i-c-a-l
27. The Prodigy – Invaders Must Die
28. Warden – Get Down

The only reasons I can imagine for being disappointed is that this is a re-release of games we've already played before, and there's no VR support. I think there was some concern early on about whether the career and racebox modes from all the games would make it in but that's all been confirmed now.

If you aren't concerned about the two things I listed above, I'm not sure why this wouldn't be exciting. Wipeout on PS4, man!

All of this sounds good to me! I think it might have also been OST fears now that I think about it? But that got released now too and I'm happy with it so yeah, extremely hyped now!

I'm a huge fan of the series but I see no reason to buy this since I already own the games.

I'd be on board for a new WipEout for sure.

Shin-Ra

WipEoutOmegaACCESSflyover.gif

Shin-Ra

How does 7.1 to 5.1 normally get down mixed? L/R channels mixed slightly more into the rear-L/R than the front-L/R?

How does 7.1 to 5.1 normally get down mixed? L/R channels mixed slightly more into the rear-L/R than the front-L/R?

Depends on the receiver. The most common downmixes are either a straight BR→SR | BL → SL or the back content is actually split between both the surround speakers, volume favouring the source side (e.g. BR content goes 80% SR and 20% SL).

Shin-Ra

Depends on the receiver. The most common downmixes are either a straight BR→SR | BL → SL or the back content is actually split between both the surround speakers, volume favouring the source side (e.g. BR content goes 80% SR and 20% SL).
The game probably mixes according to the output channels, taking the individual's receiver out of the equation.

Top Bottom