• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JRPG series you're most excited about the future of

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im always both excited and scared for Persona but especially Shin Megami Tensei, but since Persona 6 is bound to be made by new blood and SMT V's trailer seems to evoke Nocturne vibes, I'm more excited than scared for both this time around!

Mostly for SMT though, my god! First HD SMT game on the horizon!

I want to say I'm excited for Xenoblade as well but X2's trailer raises so many red flags it's basically a miracle I still have hopes that it'll be good, and that's only thanks to how great the original is.

Not seeing where the red flags are coming from, in the gameplay and exploration part of X's game, even if your down on it overall, it was a major improvement over the first game, ontop of that they said they're moving back to a main story focus like the 1st game, since X was mostly about getting themselves accustomed to HD

Opa-Pa

I haven't played X so I'm expecting it to be more like the original either way, but the red flags for me are the terrible art style, bland designs, the girl with the exposed ass, her apparent devotion for the main character and the "sword waifus" theme.

Of course it could still turn out great, but I can't not be worried... Also I've been avoiding new info since I found out about these things, so maybe some stuff has changed or been debunked, I don't know.

Secondly would probably be Final Fantasy. That is because I think we will see a FFXVI that goes back to the franchise's roots. ATB, Turn-based, magic crystals, classes, plenty of weapons, dungeons, state of the art graphics as usual. All the stuff everyone loved about I-X.

Dude.

Why do this to yourself?

I'm going to echo all of the love for Legend of Heroes. It's not my favourite JRPG by any stretch--I generally dislike stories that have such a heavy focus on world building--but it seems to have the brightest future right now. I think that excitement comes from both the devs in Japan and the very passionate localizers at Xseed, and its kinda hard to not get caught up in it.

On the other hand, Final Fantasy is interesting me for the first time in years, but I'm still wary of their future.

I'm a pretty big Atlus fanboy too, so pretty much all of their output from Japan interests me--Re:Fantasy especially. I'm just too worried about the state of Atlus USA to be too excited.

New mainline Pokemon title for the Switch is what I'm most excited for. Wonder how different it's going to be coming from Sun and Moon. My guess is that it'll stil have the top down perspective.

Excited for Ni No Kuni 2 as well. Ghibli come to life.

Xenoblade 2 interests me as well. The first Xenoblade was one of my favorite Jrpgs because of the exploration aspect of it.

Currently playing DQ8 3DS as my first Dragon Quest game, and I'm loving it. So yeah, looking forward to DQ XI.

I'm not interested in Kingdom Hearts 3 until the day before it actually releases.

Lynx_7

I'm pretty excited for SMT HD. I hope they go all out with it. I'm curious about project Re;Fantasy but I can't say I'm really excited yet considering I know next to nothing about how it'll play. I'm 50/50 on Persona 6. I'm not sure if they currently have someone who can properly replace Hashino and the other key members that are now part of Studio Zero, but I'm also very interested to see a new director's take on the franchise.

Fire Emblem having its first console entry since Radiant Dawn is also something to be excited about. I'm curious to see if they'll take the franchise somewhere new or just keep expanding on Awakening's foundations.

Paertan

I wish I could say Suikoden. No other JRPG series has come close to matching the experiences I've had with Suikoden.

I wish Konami would just give the license to someone else.

But other than that I would say Kiseki. Enjoyed first Trails game and will get SC when I am done with Persona 5. Was not blown away but it was good and love consistent worlds.

oSoLucky

Star Ocean.
giphy.gif

Release of 3 reminded me how good that series once was.

In all seriousness, Final Fantasy. I think Square is set on bringing it back to the top. They seem to be taking feedback to heart of late and I'm hoping they break out again with 16. I wonder how many years it will be with all the other projects on their plate. I would imagine that most of their talent is deep in FF7R, KH3 and DQ11 plus the numerous spinoffs and remasters for those 3 series.

Pokemon.

Sun and Moon proved that Pokemon could be focused more on character development and story while also having interesting new ways of progression.

Stars will be the first mainline entry which is also meant for consoles. I love the idea.

Pokemon still has HUGE potential in pretty much all aspects

you say this but the plaza online system was a downgrade, so im not sure what to expect at all from that franchise and its always been going up and down in terms of quality
its also likely the most iterative rpg out there

the new progression was worse at times outside of 1 or 2 trials
still had random shit blocking your path, making it super linear

Pokemon.

Sun and Moon proved that Pokemon could be focused more on character development and story while also having interesting new ways of progression.

Stars will be the first mainline entry which is also meant for consoles. I love the idea.

we're still just accepting this as a confirmed game?

Squire

Banned
A question for people who are excited about the next Trails and Tales of games.

What is the thing that makes you excited about the next entries in those series? Do you think they could change and shake up their franchises and get to that next level. Or do you mostly just wanna see new entries with new cast and story?

I ask this because I also like both of those series (well, for Trails I just like Cold Steel), but besides getting new storylines and characters, I don't expect to see them do anything that different. So, I wanted to know if I'm missing something that would make me more excited about the future of those franchises.

So I only just recently started finally playing through the Trails in The Sky games. Opinions will differ on whether the changes are good or bad or in the middle, but having finished First Chapter, I do think the combat and structure are being pushed forward in ways you notice and I'm certainly in the camp that appreciates them (though that's not to say FC is poorly designed by any stretch at all).

The next Trails game is obviously Sen III and while I initially wasn't sure it'd move the needle much further from Sen II, I'm not sure now given everything they're saying about the new battle mechanics, the characters that are turning up, and honestly even just the look of the game. It seems to be quite a looker for Falcom standards.

I definitely think the combat is evolving much more than I expected and I'm very curious about the overall scope and structure, but again, the characters appearing (and past plot events) have me thinking they're going wider with that, too.

Wagram

Hmm. I think Xenoblade has something to prove after X so i'm excited for that.

Ys is going to be amazing so I have no doubts.

Probably Final Fantasy. I hope they do something fresh and new, and I feel they have a greater grasp on how to develop large AAA games after FFXV.

I'm also just interested too see what Yoko Taro does since Automata was a pretty big for him.

I'd be more interested if they pushed Persona into new and exciting territories but I don't think they will..

MLH

Etrian Odyssey.

Haha just kidding it's dead in the West.

image.php

:(

Still interested in where EO is going to go in the future, mapping is integral with the experience and there are no dual screen systems anymore.

Also very excited for the next SMT, such an excellent series

Then there's Pokemon, maybe we'll see another gen 7 game port to Switch before it's own entry, but it'll be cool to see a big jump in immersion.

MoonFrog

image.php

:(

Still interested in where EO is going to go in the future, mapping is integral with the experience and there are no dual screen systems anymore.

Also very excited for the next SMT, such an excellent series

Then there's Pokemon, maybe we'll see another gen 7 game port to Switch before it's own entry, but it'll be cool to see a big jump in immersion.

Even if it isn't EO, Atlus needs to make an EO successor for Switch, maybe without the mapping element (or maybe they find a new way to do it). I'm a very recent convert but...damn solid classes, battles, and dungeon delving and it needs to continue in some way.

Kuraudo

Banned
Final Fantasy, still. I've enjoyed all the recent titles despite their, sometimes significant, flaws, so I know I'll have fun with VIIR and whatever else SE produce, even if they're not as good as the golden age of Final Fantasy.

Definitely the Bravely series*

*It seems like that team has moved on to Octopath Traveler, which is totally fine. All I want is more games from this team. This team has really been honing its skill at making JRPGs to an extreme degree. I'm really excited to see how they continue to develop.

Exentryk

I want to see more from:
Ni No Kuni series
Bravely series
NieR series
Kingdom Hearts series

Definitely the Bravely series*

*It seems like that team has moved on to Octopath Traveler, which is totally fine. All I want is more games from this team. This team has really been honing its skill at making JRPGs to an extreme degree. I'm really excited to see how they continue to develop.

No, Bravely series will still continue. Looking forward to Bravely Third. I wonder if they'll make it for the 3DS or Switch?

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Ni No Kuni 2 for me. Loved the first one. I am a huge ghibli fan and because of that this was the first jpg..ever..that i've played to completion. As it was the first one for me, did not notice any gameplay "flaws"...so they say the flaws are removed now...great!!

SoulUnison

Banned
Final Fantasy.

I actually greatly enjoyed my time with XV, and SquareEnix always try to top themselves with every entry.

XVI should be insane.

If they could get the production values of XV on a more focused, narrative driven experience, it'd be fantastic.

Waji

Xenoblade and maybe what the next games from people who made Setsuna. Hope to see them with more budget/time/people/whatever.
Maybe also the Bravely/Octopath team. But I didn't like Bravely enough to be "excited". And of course always curious about Atlus.

It's sad how different my expectations are now.
I stopped hoping too much after PS2 era.
Almost everything disappeared.

Monolithsoft is pretty much my last hope for the type of RPG I like.
Square Enix does nothing I enjoy. Only the poor little teams are interesting. Makes me remember of Saga. Hope to see more. Scarlet Grace was very nice.

And Falcom is my new Square. I loved their games so much. But since they went "full 3D" with Sen, for some reason the quality dropped hard. Sen, Ys8 and TokyoX all feel the same and as expected, only shine a little when their differences kick in (but it's burried behind this new direction that feels much more cheap fan service or something).
It's sad because I love the first episodes so much from Sora/sky to Ao/blue.

Ys. Ys 8 is coming soon and looking good.

And I'm very excited for Trails of Cold Steel 3. Trails in the Sky the 3rd has made so much more clear that I'm now very interested in where the overall mythos is going

bwakh

Definitely the Trails series. The battle system is awesome, the moves flashy, the characters are well done but the world building throughout the series has been nothing except amazing.

kromeo

SMT and it's spinoffs I guess, they give them decent enough budgets for me and no sign of them going the open world sidequestathon route

Xenoblade 2 is the game I'm most looking forward to but they already had a dud for me with their last game

Secondly would probably be Final Fantasy. That is because I think we will see a FFXVI that goes back to the franchise's roots. ATB, Turn-based, magic crystals, classes, plenty of weapons, dungeons, state of the art graphics as usual. All the stuff everyone loved about I-X.

I think there's more chance of Konami announcing their new console at E3

Raitaro

In random order:

- FFVII Remake, mostly because I'm really interested to revisit familiar things shown in a new light and from a new perspective. FFVII remains one of my favorites of old as well.

- The next Yoko Taro game, whether that's Nier: Automata 2, Nier Remake, Drakengard 4, or something new. Nothing comes close to his stories.

- Secret of Mana - I just want a good new colorful action-adventure game in this series with fun combat, or a localised version of the Switch collection.

- The next game by FROM and Miyazaki, whether this is a new Souls game, a Souls-like or something new. Environmental storytelling at its best.

- Ni no Kuni 2. I never played the first one but this sequel seems quite interesting.

- Fire Emblem Switch. I've been waiting on a new console FE since the Gamecube and Wii installments and with the increased popularity and budget(?) of this series in mind I'm really looking forward to this new one.

That's mostly it. I have to admit that most currently running RPG series have never interested me all that much and I'm kind of bummed out that they remain so prevalent to the potential cost of others I do care about. Y's I've never tried, admittedly, and I have yet to try Persona as well (though I'm sceptical about how much I'd like it due to its strong focus on time management), but the Dragon Quest series, Kingdom Hearts series, Xenoblade series, Tales of... series and modern Final Fantasy series never did much for me despite multiple attempts to get into them.

Instead I can't help but miss games like Grandia, Chrono Trigger, Legend of Dragoon, Skies of Arcadia, Vandal Hearts, Paper Mario (TTYD style), and Super Mario RPG but none of those seem likely to return unfortunately.

Edit: Forgot about Platinum's Granblue Fantasy as mentioned below. I'm hoping it will scratch the Kingdoms of Amalur itch in terms of open world action RPG's with flashy combat.

Heyt

Banned
Hard to choose:
  • Monster Hunter stories looks so charming and exciting, amazing production for 3DS
  • Grablue Fantasy looks like it is going to be big, and Platinum combat tends to be ultra amazing
  • Dragon Quest looks like it is going back to the classic formula with an up to date look... finally!
  • Tales of is not going to be limited by PS3 hardware anymore and it really could go places

sasliquid

I don't think it can be considered a series yet but Project Re:Fantasy Fromm Atlus is enticing. I'm mean Hashino made Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1+2, Persona 3-5 and Catherine so I've got faith it'll be great, the only question is how great

EhoaVash

Xenoblade 2 i'm looking forward to the most, even if i'm kind of worried about it lol

I loved Xenoblade 1 and X more so lol, I love the huge open world exploration of these games. they'er sooo fucking fun to just run around in BUT

combat is ehh, pretty meh and confusing so I would like to see them change this about the xeno series, but i doubt they will for xenoblade 2 ._.

also another thing that bothers me about 2 is the direction of which they're taking their character models. once again monolith are the gods of environmental designs, yet they really should find a new character artist lol.....wish they would take FFXV's characters as inspiration ;d ;d But i'm glad that they're focusing on story this time too, but keep the big open world of XCX in this too !!

the characters in xeno 2 so far look like Tales of characters =/ a series I like to think of as cheap quick cash in games.

Still doubt this game is coming out in 2017, but if it does, damn do they work fast, and i'm worried this game won't be open world due to how fast development was :(

also I'm curious to see how the rumored pokemon stars game is going to look like on switch lol, finally HD pokemon

Aleh

Pokémon is gonna be so exciting. Gen 8 on Switch, DPP remakes, HD jump... Can't waaaait

FF has lost my interest after X so I don't know. FFVII is also one of the few games I haven't played so I'm not really excited about the remake either, and I don't have something to play it on anyways.

Anoxida

DQXI by default for me. Feels like we've seen far too little from any other upcoming JRPG (that I can think of at least).

MKIL65

The Kiseki/Trails series always excites me. Hopefully Falcom will improve upon the storytelling formula in the future.

Even if they don't, I still prefer the world, lore and NPCs compared to most Jrpgs that I grew up with.

I'm cautious about Persona now. Hashino and the dream team really earned their stripes and handing the reigns over can be really good or really bad. I'll stay optimistic, but I'm more looking forward to Project Re:Fantasy.
I want to see a new mainline Final Fantasy too. Emphasis on 'new.'
I hope the Dragon Quest makes it over, it looks like such a classic JRPG I'll love to play through. I'd like to play through VIII again...
FROM does their best work when not tied down by previous lore. I want something new from them. I mean I'll enjoy a Bloodborne II, but I'd rather they didn't limit themselves.

redcrayon

SMT (first HD game), Fire Emblem (l think it's going to be a big step forward from the 3DS games), and Dragon Quest XI (reminds me of DQVIII, looks like a return to form).

If Etrian Odyssey counts, that's top of the list, but I'd feel more confident about it if we had heard about a western release of EOV by now.

Trails of Cold Steel 1/2 pretty much killed my interest in that series, but I'm looking forward to Ys VIII.

Tales, FF and Star Ocean are all series I've pretty much given up on at this point.

Thud

I'm excited in the direction Ys and Trails will take after they delivered their next title.

For Ys that is the focus on a different gameplay mechanic. Trails will focus on a different point of view. The inevitable Calvard arc will be something else.

I have a desire deep in my bones for the Fire Emblem Switch game. The series first HD game, probably continuing in the direction of Awakening and Fates while incorporating some stuff they played with in Echoes. It could be the first time since Path of Radiance that the series has felt like a full generational leap.

And depending on the team they announce for Final Fantasy XVI, of course it will rocket to the front of my most anticipated games list. Or it could be another Tabata/Toriyama/Nomura joint and I'll keep on playing other stuff instead.

Other stuff to watch:
Atlus Studio 0's new IP
Whatever the Etrian Odyssey team does on Switch
Pokemon Switch
Maybe Tales if they stop looking like ass

Easily the next Bloodborne or whatever it will be called closely followed by Dragon Dogma 2 / Deep Down or whatever Capcom might still be working on.

I am still exited about the future of Final Fantasy. After the absolute shitshow that FF13 was and the unfinished mess that FF15 still is, I have hope that they will make a "FF15 definitive edition" some day and I am hoping that they won't repeat all the mistakes with FF16. A classic FF16 would be ace, but I doubt they will make this. Also exited about the FF7R.

I am/was a big Kingdom Hearts Fan but after all the spin-offs and waiting it feels hard to be still exited about KH3. Maybe when the release comes closer.

Tales of
Disgaea
Fire Emblem
Xenoblade
Final Fantasy

These series are some of the few series that still get me excited when one is release. I am always looking forward to more of any of these. Hoping Tales of continue to partner with Ufotable for the anime art.

Apart from the classics like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, I would like to see more games from Xenoblade and Persona/Shin Megami Tensei.
Also new games from the Tales series but being more ambitious and improved from past installments

Waji

SMT (first HD game), Fire Emblem (l think it's going to be a big step forward from the 3DS games), and Dragon Quest XI (reminds me of DQVIII, looks like a return to form).

If Etrian Odyssey counts, that's top of the list, but I'd feel more confident about it if we had heard about a western release of EOV by now.

Trails of Cold Steel 1/2 pretty much killed my interest in that series, but I'm looking forward to Ys VIII.

Tales, FF and Star Ocean are all series I've pretty much given up on at this point.
Not too far from what I feel and I'm sorry to say that YS 8 feels pretty much like "trails of cold steel", except with Celceta/7 battle system, maybe improved a little.

Top Bottom