• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game |OT| Cards of Cthulhu

XShagrath

VWvO2j0.png

fyagjjp.png

Arkham Horror: The Card Game is a cooperative "living card game" set in the "Arkham Files" universe. This universe is ripe with Lovecraftian mythos, but with more of a pulpy tone. This means that players actually have a chance at succeeding against the Elder Gods and other otherworldly horrors, although it's not an easy task.

This game expertly merges aspects of traditional CCG-style card games, board games, and roleplaying games. Players will take their character (called an investigator) through a series of interconnected scenarios that form a campaign. Depending on how things go for the players, the scenarios will mold and shift in different directions, giving a very rich and dynamic experience, in which it is very easy to get wrapped up in the story. Additionally, the investigator will grow by replacing cards in their deck using the experience gathered through the scenarios.

Arkham Horror works very well at all player counts, by scaling various aspects of the game, such as clues needed, enemy health, and encounter cards drawn. Additionally, the game has four difficulty levels, so the player will be able to customize their experience and make it as easy or as difficult as they wish.

GdKodkW.png

While all classes can perform all actions, some do certain things better than others, and end up fitting a certain "role" within a group.

Tv2LUTj.png
Guardian - The fighter/healer
CSqalBw.png
Mystic - Very high risk/high reward
3lqhbFM.png
Rogue - A jack of all trades
3IdxI5N.png
Seeker - The heavy duty clue gatherer
eyxCtTg.png
Survivor - The underdog

ihPqtfQ.png

Before starting the game, players will choose an investigator from one of the five factions and construct a deck based on some rules that are unique to that investigator. These decks typically run 33 cards (although this can vary), with 30 cards chosen by the player, two cards unique to that investigator (one good, one bad), and a random "weakness" card, which is something the character is affected by (such as hypochondria or paranoia).

After the deck is constructed, the players will start their chosen campaign. During a scenario, there are two sets of cards that help to progress the game. One is the "Agenda" deck, which is essentially a turn counter that you will be racing against. After a certain number of turns, the agenda will advance, and usually something bad will happen to you. The other deck is the "Act" deck, which can be advanced by various means, depending on the scenario. This is usually by gathering clues (by investigating), or killing enemies. Whether you finish the act deck or the agenda deck, the scenario is over. At that point, you will be given a resolution to read out of the campaign guide and you progress to the next scenario in the campaign.

On a player's turn, they will take three actions, such as fighting an enemy, investigating a location for a clue, or gathering a resource. For most of these actions, a skill check is required. These are performed by taking an investigator's stat (such as intelligence), and comparing it against a value found on another card. Then, the player will draw a token from the "Chaos Bag," which will modify their stat for that test. The Chaos Bag works similarly to a dice roll, but is infinitely more customizeable.

In between scenarios, you will have a chance to upgrade your deck by purchasing new cards with the XP you have earned in previous scenarios.

blgVIwV.png

A Living Card Game is a game that can be expanded by buying additional content that provides additional player cards and scenarios to play. These are not randomly packaged, so there is no concept of rarity as found in other games, such as Magic: The Gathering.

Expansions can come in two forms: Deluxe Expansions, and Mythos Packs. Each new campaign will start with a Deluxe Expansion, which will contain new investigators, player cards, and the first two scenarios. The rest of the campaign is contained within the Mythos Packs, which come out approximately once a month. These will contain additional player cards and one scenario.

• Core Set
    The "Starter" set - A self-contained three scenario campaign. Set in Arkham, Massachusetts. The investigators must uncover the strange nature of a threat to humanity.

HCyYzOY.png

• The Dunwich Legacy
    The first full-length campaign, which takes place after the events of HP Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror.

VwJmDHo.png
    3UOhIjy.png
    zvMqLDf.png
    rxo3W94.png
    aNjFw9K.png
    BzZBtzP.png
    IvkaDmQ.png

• The Path to Carcosa
    The second full-length campaign, which is based around The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers.

dWAk4Jw.png
    oYlnX3F.png
    OdjQtrx.png

• Stand-Alone Scenarios
    These can be played individually, or in between scenarios in a campaign.

XisZMwZ.png
    Tj2DCmb.png

0QKx8yD.png

• FFG Product Page - Rules, campaign guides, starter decks, and the official FAQ can be found here.
  • Official FFG Tutorial Video - Polished tutorial video direct from Fantasy Flight Games
  • ArkhamDB - Deckbuilding tool (create your own or look at others)
  • Mythos Busters Podcast - A great podcast covering news, thoughts on cards, and loads of other content. They also have an excellent 2-part episode for new players. Drawn to the Flame Podcast - A more card-focused podcast. Mostly gives in-depth thoughts on player cards.
  • Arkham Chronicle Youtube Page - A number of videos on the game, including rules clarifications, scenario set-up guides and various other topics
  • Arkham Central - Repository of custom fan-made scenarios and campaigns
EIMo35P.png

• How many core sets do I need?
    You can play and enjoy the game with a single core set, although I would suggest playing on Easy difficulty. Buying the expansions will give you more versatility in deck customization, but will not equal what you have by buying a second core set. The core has many staple cards that do not have equivalent cards in the expansions, so having two copies of these is going to make your decks more consistent.

• Can I mix cards from different campaigns?
    Absolutely. LCGs are designed to have an ever-expanding pool of cards available to the players. Sometimes using later cards might make the game more manageable, but you can always adjust the difficulty level to compensate if desired.

• Can I take the same investigator through multiple campaigns?
    Sure. However, this is not how the game was designed to be played. This may make the game easier (by having upgraded cards from the start) or more difficult (by having a damaged and traumatized investigator).

• Is insert product name here out of print?
    No. FFG is very good at keeping all of their LCG product on shelves as much as possible. If you can't find a product available, that is because it is in between print runs and should be back on shelves within a couple of months.

Kx6CuF4.png

Quite a few of us have invested some additional resources into the game to "pimp out" the experience. There are varying levels of (in)sanity, but these little touches help to bring the game to life and make an already gorgeous game look even better.

RC1IHCU.png

26mm coin capsules are a nice way to add a better feeling to the chaos bag. Additionally, it makes the bag easier to "shuffle" and adds some weight to the tokens.

lBUOJZ7.png

Upgraded resource tokens add an extra level to the game, and help to differentiate what the tokens represent. This is what I use when I play. Most of these were purchased at Meeplesource.
Top - Sanity, Health, Doom, Clues
Bottom - Resources, Bullets, Generic Uses, Spell Charges

KYOoe3w.png

A lot of players also like to use a playmat to make the cards easier to pick up and move around. FFG has a number of Arkham themed designs, or you can get a custom design printed by a number of online retailers.

SFjyTZN.png

Instead of using the investigator cards that come with the game, some people like to use miniatures. FFG sells these individually on their website (some are out of stock/out of print), or quite a few of them can be found in their Mansions of Madness game.

Feel free to join the conversations and ask questions if they're not answered here. Please keep any scenario-related questions/topics in spoilers.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Great OT, looking forward to The Doom Awaits. They way my campaign had been going it's ain't going to be good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yessssss finally a place to discuss the only board/card game that matters anymore!

But seriously, Arkham LCG has been by far one of my favorite tabletop gaming experiences ever (and I've had many hundreds :p). You can really see the many years of experience FFG has had with the genre just distilled to its perfect essence here. And the artwork is amazing as you'd expect.

Have played through the base scenario about four times now, and we're all caught up on Dunwich with our regular 3-4p group as well. The game scales impressively well for 1-4, though the experiences and best decks at each player count vary dramatically.

zulux21

this thread already got me to buy 26mm coin capsules :p

hopefully with 2 core sets it's not to horrible with 4 people. deck customization isn't a big deal early on for me, and ideally as I get more sets more cards will open up things without another core set.

timmy

I bought this last week and have been going over the rules. I think I may give it a shot solo this weekend when I have some free time. I agree that the card art is outstanding.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
this thread already got me to buy 26mm coin capsules :p

hopefully with 2 core sets it's not to horrible with 4 people. deck customization isn't a big deal early on for me, and ideally as I get more sets more cards will open up things without another core set.

I ordered some a week ago. Can't wait to get them.. Sometimes the tokens would stick together. Need to get a nicer chaos bag too.

Arttemis

Amazing OT! I have thousands of dollars of FFG's Star Wars miniatures, but never got into their card games. I love Elder Sign, though...

Belfast

Love this game. Have already spent too much money on it. Alas, I can't seem to get a solid group of people to sit down and play it regularly, even when they have shown a lot of genuine enthusiasm after playing the introductory scenario.

Even my girlfriend, who does like board/card games (but typically not this style), doesn't seem super-interested in playing, and she would be my most reliable partner.

I know I can play solo easily enough, but I like having someone else to play with and it does make most scenarios a little easier. I've gotten through the second scenario *once* playing with other people at this point.

I'm not saying this to dissuade anyone. This is more my inability to organize play nights than any indication of the game's quality. At this point, I intend to finish buying the rest of Dunwich, but given the circumstances, I wonder if I should put my money elsewhere, once that's done.

It pains me to say that, even though I would urge just about anyone else to get into this game.

Subbed. I need to play my copy more. I only played once and only the first part. Been too busy with Overwatch and Persona to play anything else. Gonna pick up a second core set in the future.

I still need a chaos bag in general.

I think I have a disgaea prinny bag I can use though.

At the $1 section in Target, I found some drawstring bags that work perfectly. And Section Case #2 from Daiso (Japanese dollar store, but also in SoCal) works great for all the components.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I still need a chaos bag in general.

I think I have a disgaea prinny bag I can use though.
FFG has (I think it's official) a Cthulhu dice bag I grabbed on Amazon. I mean... what else would you use???

I've only done one adventure so far from Dunwich. Though I just picked up the first two packs tonight finally.

zulux21

At the $1 section in Target, I found some drawstring bags that work perfectly. And Section Case #2 from Daiso (Japanese dollar store, but also in SoCal) works great for all the components.

hmmm I will have to think about if I want to use something like that.

I have a billion small plastic bags that work well enough.

I first played this game at a friend's place for Christmas, after the initial confusion we all got addicted.

Could never beat anything other than the easiest boss though :v

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Love this game. Have already spent too much money on it. Alas, I can't seem to get a solid group of people to sit down and play it regularly, even when they have shown a lot of genuine enthusiasm after playing the introductory scenario.

Even my girlfriend, who does like board/card games (but typically not this style), doesn't seem super-interested in playing, and she would be my most reliable partner.

I know I can play solo easily enough, but I like having someone else to play with and it does make most scenarios a little easier. I've gotten through the second scenario *once* playing with other people at this point.

I'm not saying this to dissuade anyone. This is more my inability to organize play nights than any indication of the game's quality. At this point, I intend to finish buying the rest of Dunwich, but given the circumstances, I wonder if I should put my money elsewhere, once that's done.

It pains me to say that, even though I would urge just about anyone else to get into this game.
Aw man! I've actually played with several people I wouldn't usually play games with just because the heavy story aspect gets them hooked. In a lot of ways it's kind of like a light RPG. For these folks I mostly just do all the deckbuilding stuff myself though.

Noaloha

Love this game. November through January I was entirely sucked in, exploring the Core Set's variations, dumping a ton of playthrough vids on Youtube and even releasing two custom scenarios of my own (if you spot 'Limens of Belief' or 'Forbidding Desert', that's me!). Genuinely a ton of fun. The game's just extremely solid on a base mechanical level, even outside the theming. If you enjoy moment to moment puzzle solving based on a given board state, the core set alone has tons of replayability; sure, the story aspect disappears after a few playthroughs and you've seen the various resolutions and consequences but, for me personally, this is when the core set started to shine. I really enjoyed getting to know the scenarios and applying that knowledge strategically to later sessions. In that sense, the game experience evolves as you gain intimacy with each chapter -- the first few playthroughs of each are enjoyable as explorations of a specific story, not knowing what you'll face and following along with a narrative, with the experience then shifting into a more applied game in which you're able to engage with the threats pre-emptively and apply a bunch of decision making into minimising expected threats and taking advantage of known potential advantages.

I eased off on the game due to hectic real life stuff taking up much of my time these last several months, but I'm reeeeally looking forward to diving into the entire Dunwich Cycle sets some time over the Summer. I have tons of stuff to catch up on!

About this part in the OP:
How many core sets do I need?
You can play and enjoy the game with a single core set. However, your deckbuilding opportunities will really open up by buying a second. If you are playing a three or four player game, you will probably want to pick up a third set. You can technically play four players with two cores, but there will be no room for customizing decks at all.
There was a bit of a discussion on this in the boardgaming thread; just for the sake of covering my own thoughts on the matter, I'd actually say that the two observations there should be reversed. In my opinion, it's single core set + 2 players where you have "no room for customising" (about the only meaningful option is deciding upon starting skill cards), and double core + 4 players is a little better (and absolutely opens up greatly with the third) in that at least you do actually then get to focus on investigator strengths when you share out the card pool. I don't know if I worded all that very clearly, ha.

Bought this a month ago and still haven't played it! Going to do it this weekend.
For multiple core sets, I just would use sleeved printouts or "proxies". I'm just playing by myself, so who really cares.

Belfast

Aw man! I've actually played with several people I wouldn't usually play games with just because the heavy story aspect gets them hooked. In a lot of ways it's kind of like a light RPG. For these folks I mostly just do all the deckbuilding stuff myself though.

These are actually other board gamers, too! They're totally into the theme and the gameplay. Last attempt, after the intro session, both of the other players were even conjuring up ways to rebuild their deck because they saw the depth of possibilities available to them. I mean, these are people that play all sorts of games, including having just finished up a long-form Star Wars: Imperial Assault campaign.

But that excitement just hasn't translated into playtime. I'm not great at organizing these things are reinforcing play times. And it doesn't help that I don't have anywhere to host where I live, either, so it's dependent on one of them *wanting* to host. Plus, there are just too many other games competing for their attention. One of them got Captain Sonar and everybody was super into playing that every time we'd get together.

No room for poor old Arkham. It's a victim of circumstance. :(

But whether or not I continue to play/buy into it, I'm excited to see where it goes. Carcosa already looks super interesting.

TheGrue

Play this game with a group of 3 others and we love it. Play each pack as it comes out and stay with the same characters.

I have the core game and the two standalone expansion. Spent probably 4 hours across 3 different days trying to get the set up to work. But one of these days I'll find the time to really get into the game. If we can manage it, I think my GF will love it.

zulux21

I just bought the update, Eldtrich Horror. I'm excited to play when I get a chance.

actually you are confusing the board game with the card game.

that being said eldritch horror is in general a better version of the arkham horror board game.

still quite a bit different than what this thread is about though which is the card game that has a campaign to play though :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
actually you are confusing the board game with the card game.

that being said eldritch horror is in general a better version of the arkham horror board game.

still quite a bit different than what this thread is about though which is the card game that has a campaign to play though :p

yup! i do love eldritch horror still (very different experience from arkham card game)

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Survivor is the way to go, because nothing is worth doing in a Cthulu mythos game if you aren't surviving.

Actually it's just because I love Lucky! The Zoey deck I'm using for the Dunwich campaign has a couple of them and a baseball bat to boot.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
I'm a huge board gamer but haven't taken the plunge on this yet! Me and the wife are still working through mansions of madness. Thanks for the OT. I can't wait to get into this game.

zulux21

Eldritch is def better than Arkham Horror as far as board games go.
I need to go back and play arkham again at some point to compare them.

I can't recall which is the better actual game, but there is no contest which has the better rules.

eldritch it is actually possible to read the rules and play the game.
Arkham you need a team of scientists to decipher the rules @_@.

luckily the card game version is a lot more straight forward and wasn't to bad to read through and has a decent reference.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
For anyone who's played both, how difficult is this in comparison to the LOTR LCG? Cause that game is balls hard.

I can never get my friends to play the board game since it takes forever, and this looks really fun so I might pick this up. I assume this takes less time to play than the board game, heh.

zulux21

For anyone who's played both, how difficult is this in comparison to the LOTR LCG? Cause that game is balls hard.
I haven't played much of this, but my wife and I got destroyed by the boss in the first case lol
I can never get my friends to play the board game since it takes forever, and this looks really fun so I might pick this up. I assume this takes less time to play than the board game, heh.

from what I know it should take 1-2 hours per case.

Noaloha

A ball-park playtime is something like 60 minutes + 30 minutes per additional player over 1. Faster at a table where everyone's familiar with the game. Faster still if everyone's also familiar with the scenario.

I played the board game version a few times quite a few years ago and liked it a lot, though we found the time investment needed for a full game to be tricky to handle. Also, some of the rules were hard to keep track of with so much stuff going on at any one time. Is this game better in these regards?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I need to go back and play arkham again at some point to compare them.

I can't recall which is the better actual game, but there is no contest which has the better rules.

eldritch it is actually possible to read the rules and play the game.
Arkham you need a team of scientists to decipher the rules @_@.

luckily the card game version is a lot more straight forward and wasn't to bad to read through and has a decent reference.

I prefer the locations and the way the monsters move in Arkham compared to Eldritch. Enjoy both though

Haeleos

I find it less challenging than LOTR since AH doesn't require you to deckbuild around each scenario as much. This is because the rules expect you to carry the same deck through an entire cycle/campaign, unlike LOTR where doing so is more of an optional (suicidal) challenge. There are also several tiers of difficulty level that allow you to tailor the range of modifier tokens (Chaos Tokens) you draw from.

This game has so many great elements to it, I love it!

Been playing through the new Dunwich scenarios each month with another player, we're playing with Zoey and Rex, who have been a great duo so far.

I played the board game version a few times quite a few years ago and liked it a lot, though we found the time investment needed for a full game to be tricky to handle. Also, some of the rules were hard to keep track of with so much stuff going on at any one time. Is this game better in these regards?

It's somewhat streamlined, but still not exactly simple. However you also play a campaign in scenarios that only take about an hour to complete each.

zulux21

Didnt know there was a card game. The Board game is kinda bad I think?

nah, the board game is solid just the rules are very poorly done.

the sequel board game is far better done (eldrich horror) and far easier to understand the rules to. Is a solid game but can run quite long for what typically results in horrible losses :p

Belfast

It can be hard, but has some adjustable difficulty options. You can certainly "get better" at the game once you know generally want to expect from a scenario (most encounters and chaos bag pulls will still be random, though) and then build decks around anticipating the more "baked-in" aspects.

The thing is, though, that Arkham doesn't really expect you to win. Since it is tilted towards campaign-style play, you can "lose" a scenario and still continue. It will just affect how certain things play out later down the road. For instance, not killing a creature in "Scenario A" means that it might show up again to trouble you in "Scenario B," but actually killing it in "Scenario A" means that you might have an easier time down the road, so in future playthroughs, you might prioritize getting rid of it early.

There are all kinds of ways the game capitalizes on this, though. The basic engine of the game has a relatively simple gameplay loop, but it is the way in which each scenario bends and lays on top of these flexible elements that makes nearly every one of them unique so far. Until you've played through a campaign a couple of times, you might not even fully understand how completing/not completing tasks will affect you two or three or four scenarios down the road.

But that's one of the reasons that its so interesting. Winning and losing are not straightforward propositions, because, generally, you still get to keep going.

One day, one day ;(. Heard a lot of great things about this game and it combine a lot of elements I like in boardgames and CCGs. Unfortunate I'm tight on cash and don't really want to make a jump to another LCG (Married to Netrunner). I'll keep it on my wishlist, I know I can buy just the core set, but come on! The fun part is getting a lot of neat cards and having options when deckbuilding.

depths20XX

Didn't know this existed. I was a big fan of the original Arkham Horror by FFG but it became too difficult to get people into playing it. Long play times and rules drove people away I think.

I think I'll definitely pick this up as I love the universe.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Didn't know this existed. I was a big fan of the original Arkham Horror by FFG but it became too difficult to get people into playing it. Long play times and rules drove people away I think.

I think I'll definitely pick this up as I love the universe.
Oh man, if you love the universe you are in for a treat.

02178.jpg
01034.png

01060.png
01061.png

Yessssss finally a place to discuss the only board/card game that matters anymore!

But seriously, Arkham LCG has been by far one of my favorite tabletop gaming experiences ever (and I've had many hundreds :p). You can really see the many years of experience FFG has had with the genre just distilled to its perfect essence here. And the artwork is amazing as you'd expect.

Have played through the base scenario about four times now, and we're all caught up on Dunwich with our regular 3-4p group as well. The game scales impressively well for 1-4, though the experiences and best decks at each player count vary dramatically.

It can probably avoid the LCG woes of Netrunner because its a narrative coop game.

Top Bottom