• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation 4 gets graphically definitive version of Watch_Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mokubba

TBF the OP mentions the pc version and it doesn't state definitive console version. Also games like gears of war when they came out did indeed look better than almost all pc games so it isn't always a foregone conclusion (though in this generation it seems to be).

Basically this whole thread is hypocritical irony. PS4 owners shit on XB1 users because it's more powerful and PC users shit on PS4 owners because it's more powerful. Well no shit because that's precisely what many PS4 owners are doing, and yet for some magic reason pc owners can't do the same. You don't have to shit on the Xbox every chance you get (not talking personally), but many do so point the finger towards yourself before you point it at others.

But the XB1 and PS4 are consoles while PC is a completely different platform. There's a reason why we don't see PC being compared to iOS devices.

Obviously PC and consoles are compared because they share many multiplatform games but they are still different platforms with their advantages and disadvantages and we all know this.

otapnam

Because the PC has never, and will never lose a comparison.

You already know the answer. It's like we're doing post-game commentary on a race between two go-karts and a formula one car, it's pointless.

Its kind of like a race between an ok sports car vs a sports car that can get modded and tuned

Hmm let me just make sure I'm understanding this.

After observing literally months of "PS4 graphics are awesome. XB1 is shit banderas.gif" type discussions on NeoGAF....even when bringing up that fact is irrelevant.

I open this thread, see a post about how PC version will actually be the definitive version and all of a sudden a 12 page discussion about how dreadful it is to have a set of gamers who favour one platform to express said platforms superiority?

Yep, sounds like internet to me.

Never change.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I like how we have to pretend the PS4 won't be slaughtering the Xbone in comparisons just so PS4 fans still get to gloat when we actually see some.

Anything to justify the hypocrisy I suppose.

Mokubba

Yeah, it's obvious to me that he was only speaking on the console versions of the game. But I don't have a problem with people bringing up PC, either.

I wouldn't mind as well if bringing it up can be relevant to the topic and constructive but most of the time it isn't and the thread just gets derailed.

Salty tears?

Or is the PC-guys trolling just the ironic iceberg that is even claimed by the "definitive" anything? Maybe definitive.. is never so definitive. the multiverse works in mysterious ways my friends.

I see a lot of people quick to dismiss the source article due to it being from the Examiner, where "anyone can contribute." But I recognized the author's name from an earlier thread where his credibility was also questioned. The author is GAF's Pitmonkey, who has also posted a couple of times in this thread, albeit not presenting himself as the article's author for those of us who don't know. But reading that old thread that discussed his credibility and sources, it seems he was vindicated. Not saying that it makes this particular article true, but Mr. Gigantes does have a bit of a track record with rumors, and GAF has already done a bit of vetting on him in the past.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618996

And here's his post in this thread, for those who may have glossed over it, not knowing he was the author:

"Definitive" version was intended in comparison between the Xbox and PS4 - both are slated for 30FPS.

You already know the answer. It's like we're doing post-game commentary on a race between two go-karts and a formula one car, it's pointless.

I addressed this in my edit. The amount that the PC version is superior to the console version fluctuates wildly. In some cases where the dev has done a terrible porting job the PC version hasn't been superior at all.

I don't see how it's irrelevant anyway. When a game like watch dogs is released people have the option to buy it on PS4/xbone/PC. What exactly is wrong with letting people know which one is the definitive version and exactly what they're getting with each version?

You say it's worthless information. Here's my question what exactly is the problem with making the comparison? You can easily ignore it if you aren't interested in the PC version but at least that way all the information is presented.

But the XB1 and PS4 are consoles while PC is a completely different platform. There's a reason why we don't see PC being compared to iOS devices.

Obviously PC and consoles are compared because they share many multiplatform games but they are still different platforms with their advantages and disadvantages and we all know this.

How often can people keep making these ridiculously obtuse comparisons. How the hell is comparing home console games to PC anything like comparing it to ios? The reason you don't see the comparison to iOS is because it's a handheld device that isn't focused on games and doesn't even get the games in question. The PC is playing the exact game in question and is played in the same environment as the home consoles.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

These console's are basically custom built pc's with their own api's. Your essentially comparing a closed pc with an open one that no way similar to comparing pc's with ios devices which are built for and used under entirely different circumstances. There's no reason to compare it (It plays the same damn games) and will also come up in any DF analysis.

If gaming pc's could be as easily tracked, then there'd be no ro real reason not to use it as a comparison from a sales and user popularity point of view.

From a proficiency of running games point of view there's already as much reason for comparing a pc to a Ps4 as there is a reason for comparing Ps4 to xbox. We're not talking about super computer's here we're talking about consumer gaming pc's and they do have a rough limit based on bottle necks, if you compare relative price between different tiers it becomes even more important.

There's isn't that much discussion in this thread either way even without the pc comments if some tech people started talking about, the reasons for specific theoretical advantages being displayed in real word it may be constructed otherwise it devolves into woo platform x is stronger than platform y.

MogCakes

TBF the OP mentions the pc version and it doesn't state definitive console version. Also games like gears of war when they came out did indeed look better than almost all pc games so it isn't always a foregone conclusion (though in this generation it seems to be).

Basically this whole thread is hypocritical irony. PS4 owners shit on XB1 users because it's more powerful and PC users shit on PS4 owners because it's more powerful. Well no shit because that's precisely what many PS4 owners are doing, and yet for some magic reason pc owners can't do the same. You don't have to shit on the Xbox every chance you get (not talking personally), but many do so point the finger towards yourself before you point it at others.

Hmm let me just make sure I'm understanding this.

After observing literally months of "PS4 graphics are awesome. XB1 is shit banderas.gif" type discussions on NeoGAF....even when bringing up that fact is irrelevant.

I open this thread, see a post about how PC version will actually be the definitive version and all of a sudden a 12 page discussion about how dreadful it is to have a set of gamers who favour one platform to express said platforms superiority?

Yep, sounds like internet to me.

Never change.
So according to the both of you, it's okay to be childish because some other fanboys are childish? That's a piss poor attitude you've got.

SmokyDave

There are tiers of sexiness.

PC > Consoles > Handhelds > Smartphones / Tablets.

Ideally you'd expect things to be compared to other things within their tier, but shit's got messed up lately and lines are blurred all over. Hell, I'm not sure I was right to put smartphones behind handhelds, when what I really mean is behind the Vita. Even then it's down to the games that are being made and not the power of the device.

I've no idea where I'm going with this ramble, other than to say, yeah PC wins. It will always win. That's a given, provided you assume that PC means 'theoretical gaming rig more powerful than the consoles' rather than '5 year old Compaq with integrated graphics'. It seems daft to constantly compare PC to console, just as it's daft to judge handheld games by console standards. When you read the title of this thread though, what else can you do? Barring an intentionally gimped PC port, it's factually wrong.

I've typed yet more words but I haven't actually said anything of value. I need a coffee.

I wouldn't mind as well if bringing it up can be relevant to the topic and constructive but most of the time it isn't and the thread just gets derailed.

Yeah, that's fair. (I agree!) It used to bother me, I guess, considering I spend a majority of my gaming time on the console. I think the reason it gets brought up is because when people compare the specs of the consoles, it always defines which one is "better" for purposes of that discussion, and that brings PC gaming into the conversation. It's a way for PC gamers to tell PS4 gamers (in this case, and in this thread) to slow their role.

B_Boss

How can you say that when you have not covered every literal comparison that is possible lol? (then you'd have to state what kind of comparison, etc). To kill your argument one simply has to state one benefit of owning a console as opposed to a PC. Are you able to name just one? Careful if you can....

Frankly I don't understand the "Console vs PC" argument. Most of the time it comes off as very irrational to me. I notice the 'science' for about a nanosecond and then emotional woes come into play almost everytime.

Seanspeed

Banned
Lets say a game comes out on 360/PS3 and on the PS4.

And then a report comes out that talks about the 360 version being a little bit better than the PS3 version.

If somebody came out and then said that the 360 version was the 'definitive' version of this game, you know damn well plenty of people would, in no time, bring up the existence of the PS4 version.

Anybody disagree that this would happen?

B_Boss

And then a report comes out that talks about the 360 version being a little bit better than the PS3 version.

If somebody came out and then said that the 360 version was the 'definitive' version of this game, you know damn well plenty of people would, in no time, bring up the existence of the PS4 version.

That would be fair game, same genre is being compared. Home gaming console vs another. PC doesn't ever have to enter such a contest in that context yet it finds a way lol....

I disagree for the Wii Us sake lol

StuBurns

Banned
I addressed this in my edit. The amount that the PC version is superior to the console version fluctuates wildly. In some cases where the dev has done a terrible porting job the PC version hasn't been superior at all.

I don't see how it's irrelevant anyway. When a game like watch dogs is released people have the option to buy it on PS4/xbone/PC. What exactly is wrong with letting people know which one is the definitive version and exactly what they're getting with each version?

You say it's worthless information. Here's my question what exactly is the problem with making the comparison? You can easily ignore it if you aren't interested in the PC version but at least that way all the information is presented.
It doesn't serve the PC consumer, because the information is never tailored to their system.

If a Digital Foundry face-off used some sort of web-app that scanned your PC specs, gave you an accurate performance breakdown, and used that to compare it to the performance of PS4 or XBO, I'd say it had value, but they don't, and even if they did, that's irrelevant to the issue at the heart of this thread, which is 'which version is definitive', the PC version is, of absolutely every game ever made. Even the most infamously bad poor performing ports, Saint's Row 2, GTA4, they were still significantly better than their console counter-parts if your PC was sufficient.

If you have a PC, you know how it performs, and you know which version is going to give you the best performance, and if you didn't, these threads, and those comparison articles, wouldn't help you anyway.

MogCakes

Are you criticizing the thread title then? I agree the OP lacked foresight of what would happen. I disagree that if your theoretical scenario happened, a 12 page discussion would break out about PS4 vs PS3/360.

Fixed.

People that fight the system war in the name of PC are always speaking of "the PC" as a singular entity. They argue with super expensive hardware that most of them will never own and dealing with these people is just a pain in the ass. If you buy a PS4 then every version of this game will look the same. But if you buy a PC then the graphics will depend on a lot of different factors, mostly the money you can spend. Many PC gamers always try to obscure this fact. "Well, I have only a HD6870 and I'm playing in 1680x1050, but, hey, look at dat Titan! PS4 is crap!".

They're deceiving themselves if they really think that the PC version of Watch Dogs will run better in any case.

lol, so true.

There sure would be a couple idiots who do this.

Yea! Because you know, super expensive hardware is the only option for those using PCs! If those people with single HD6870s want to improve the performance of games on their PC's they have no choice but to buy newest most expensive parts!
/sarcasm

Why are you ignoring the fact that PC's are open platforms unlike consoles? You do know that those people with say, an hd6870, could simply buy a second hd6870 and their system will already be significantly more powerful than both the ps4 and the xbone?
You know, unlike consoles, with PC's, people have the choice to either upgrade individual components with a more powerful part, e.g. hd6870 to 7970 or to add an additional video card to improve performance significantly.

Sounds to me like super expensive Is relative. 2 hd6870s + accompanying hardware will be significantly more expensive than 1 PS4. Probably the point he was making.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This has nothing to do with PS4 elitism. Do you see PS4 fans enter Wii U threads and shit on Nintendo graphics?

Microsoft's PR is spinning FUD about the graphical capabilities of the new Xbox. They say that the numbers and specs don't mean anything and that we won't see a difference in launch games. They're the creators of DirectX, remember? That's why people are shitting on Xbox. It's the answer to annoying Microsoft PR.

All the time

It doesn't serve the PC consumer, because the information is never tailored to their system.

If a Digital Foundry face-off used some sort of web-app that scanned your PC specs, gave you an accurate performance breakdown, and used that to compare it to the performance of PS4 or XBO, I'd say it had value, but they don't, and even if they did, that's irrelevant to the issue at the heart of this thread, which is 'which version is definitive', the PC version is, of absolutely every game ever made. Even the most infamously bad poor performing ports, Saint's Row 2, GTA4, they were still significantly better than their console counter-parts if your PC was sufficient.

If you have a PC, you know how it performs, and you know which version is going to give you the best performance, and if you didn't, these threads, and those comparison articles, wouldn't help you anyway.

I don't KNOW how it runs until i actually buy the game and play it on my PC. Sometimes it's nice to know this information before you fork out 50-60$.

Who exactly is the comparison hurting? For those people interested in buying the game this lets them know all the information about all the versions. No one gets hurt whatsoever. If you're not interested in the PC version you can just ignore that discussion and continue looking at the PS4 and xbone version.

What exactly is the disadvantage here?

Edit: Some PC ports have been straight up broken. In other cases the difference between the home console and PC version isn't very big at all (and if your preference is consoles that might push you towards getting that version). More information is always better.

alan666

Banned
i have the X360 & WiiU DeadSec versions on order, i am now thinking of pulling the WiiU version all together & getting the normal X360 version because the mulitplayer will be better, they might as well not bother releasing on the WiiU at all

StuBurns

Banned
Sometimes it's nice to know this information before you fork out 50-60$.
From where? You don't know from Digtial Foundry either, or anyone else for that matter. Outside of going on a forum, finding someone with basically the same spec and asking them directly, which has nothing to do with these face off things at all.

Who exactly is the comparison hurting? For those people interested in buying the game this lets them know all the information about all the versions. No one gets hurt whatsoever. If you're not interested in the PC version you can just ignore that discussion and continue looking at the PS4 and xbone version.

It's hurting GAF right now, and I can't see that it's helping anyone. That's a net-loss as far as I can tell.
Edit: Some PC ports have been straight up broken. In other cases the difference between the home console and PC version isn't very big at all (and if your preference is consoles that might push you towards getting that version). More information is always better.
Games being broken is way beyond the scope of a face-off, that's just general news.

Name a PC game where the home console version is close. And shit like the ten year old version of MGS2 for PC versus the 360 version doesn't count.

Man

'Rumor: All multiplatform games this generation will look better on PS4.'

When both systems have the same base architectures with the PS4 having much better memory setup and 50% additional GPU power it is a no brainer that it will be the definitive console version.

Seanspeed

Banned
Are you criticizing the thread title then? I agree the OP lacked foresight of what would happen. I disagree that if your theoretical scenario happened, a 12 page discussion would break out about PS4 vs PS3/360.

No of course not, because nobody would get upset over it. That's largely my point.

Either way, 'definitive' means different things to different people I guess. Some would question the use of that word if you're going to ignore certain platforms. Others seem to not mind using it a bit more freely. Either way, there was no elitism going on. Just people being entirely too sensitive about shit. This would have never turned into what it is if people didn't get their knickers in a twist over nothing.

SmokyDave

I don't KNOW how it runs until i actually buy the game and play it on my PC. Sometimes it's nice to know this information before you fork out 50-60$.

I have an AMD Phenom II, 5850 twin frozr, and 32GB of DDR3 (1333, I think).

I don't need Digital Foundry to know that my PC would get outperformed by the PS4 or XBone. I think that was the point.

I'd be interested to see how cheaply I could upgrade it to match though. The processor seems to be the bottleneck at the moment, but if I replace that, the mobo will need doing too. Add in a new GFX card and I'm probably nudging the retail price of a PS4. Of course, Steam mess I'd save a shit ton of cash, so it does somewhat even out.

Again, I have no idea why I'm typing this. GAF needs a warning that says you might be posting rambling shit, are you sure you want to press reply?

ufo8mycat

Isn't 'definitive' subjective?

Heres what I mean.

So the PS4 version is better graphically then the XBONE version

BUT

Say 'Person A' is not sensitive to graphics and it makes no impact on their enjoyment of the game, this goes for performance also. They get the same 100% enjoyment/experience regardless if it's PS4 or XBONE version.

If it makes no difference experience/enjoyability wise to 'Person A', is the PS4 version still definitive?

'Technically' it would be, but otherwise it wouldn't matter at all, would still be the same for that person.

However if it makes a difference for 'Person B', then it would indeed be the 'definitive' version for him/her.

That they'd bring it up, solely in order to be pedantic, doesn't make it right though surely?

We all know what the comparisons are between, nobody would go into a Vita/3DS thread to post in a similar fashion.

Given the almost theoretically limitless upper performance of the PC as a platform, to use the catch all term "PC" without stipulating specs, then proceeding to compare it to anything is just pointless.

It's like using the term "race car". There's so little information given as to make it almost counter-informative.

B_Boss

Heres what I mean.

BUT

Say 'Person A' is not sensitive to graphics and it makes no impact on their enjoyment of the game, this goes for performance also. They get the same 100% enjoyment/experience regardless if it's PS4 or XBONE version.

If it makes no difference experience/enjoyability wise to 'Person A', is the PS4 version still definitive?

'Technically' it would be, but otherwise it wouldn't matter at all, would still be the same for that person.

However if it makes a difference for 'Person B', then it would indeed be the 'definitive' version for him/her.

E-fuckin-xactly. This is why its always best to define terms in any of these crazy arguments else its derailed before any conclusion is drawn or premise is stated lol. No /s intended bud.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"It's okay to be a jackass if I see others being jackasses!"

Come on now.

Nope but don't complain about others doing it before you complain about people with similar tastes doing it.

It's called understanding. If people said stop shitting on other consoles or pc full stop I could get behind. But choosing a specific platform just reeks of bias.

Heres what I mean.

BUT

We're talking here about the technicaly definitive console version.

MogCakes

No of course not, because nobody would get upset over it. That's largely my point.

Either way, 'definitive' means different things to different people I guess. Some would question the use of that word if you're going to ignore certain platforms. Others seem to not mind using it a bit more freely. Either way, there was no elitism going on. Just people being entirely too sensitive about shit. This would have never turned into what it is if people didn't get their knickers in a twist over nothing.

I agree with you man. It goes both ways too though. In your scenario, whoever was stupid enough to not read the context and bring up the PS4 would get nailed. IMO, the same applies to this thread.

Nope but don't complain about others doing before you complain about people with similar tastes doing it.

It's called understanding. If people said stopping shitting on other consoles or pc full stop I could get behind. But choosing a specific platform just reeks of bias.

Now that's a reasonable post. Why didn't you say that before? Your prior posts don't communicate this at all.

From where? You don't know from Digtial Foundry either, or anyone else for that matter. Outside of going on a forum, finding someone with basically the same spec and asking them directly, which has nothing to do with these face off things at all.

They may not tell me exactly how it will run on my spec of PC but they can give me a general idea of how well optimized the game is.

It's hurting GAF right now, and I can't see that it's helping anyone. That's a net-loss as far as I can tell.

Come the fuck on, how is mentioning the PC version of a game hurting GAF as a whole? How is it having anymore impact than the endless arguments and console wars that erupt when comparing just the console versions?

Games being broken is way beyond the scope of a face-off, that's just general news.

Name a PC game where the home console version is close. And shit like the ten year old version of MGS2 for PC versus the 360 version doesn't count.

Like i said it's not just about if they're better but by how much. If they're pretty much the same that may make the console version more appealing. Knowing how big the difference is makes a difference.

I have an AMD Phenom II, 5850 twin frozr, and 32GB of DDR3 (1333, I think).

I don't need Digital Foundry to know that my PC would get outperformed by the PS4 or XBone. I think that was the point.

How big exactly would the difference be? I really can't see what harm it does extending the discussion to the PC version. Again you can simply ignore that information if it's irrelevant to you.

Seanspeed

Banned
That they'd bring it up, solely in order to be pedantic, doesn't make it right though surely?
Just pointing out that this isn't some 'PC elitism' thing, because I'm damn sure plenty of console users would have done the same sort of thing in my example.

Some people just have a different idea of what 'definitive' means.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I agree with you man. It goes both ways too though. In your scenario, whoever was stupid enough to not read the context and bring up the PS4 would get nailed. IMO, the same applies to this thread.

Now that's a reasonable post. Why didn't you say that before?

That's what I've been saying the entire time. You just weren't paying attention.

So according to the both of you, it's okay to be childish because some other fanboys are childish? That's a piss poor attitude you've got.

I at no point said that it was okay.

I simply pointed out the hilarious irony of what has been almost community wide behavioural pattern that has had little to no "moral backlash" suddenly be a 15 page issue when that behavioural pattern is pointed ever so slightly in a certain direction with not even a smidgeon of the same ferocity or consistency.

I don't agree with it, but internet gonna internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom