• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia announces Titan V (V for Volta)

MultiCore

To be fair, this is obviously the highest end graphics card.

It's like saying you'll stick to a motorcycle after seeing the price of a sports car.
Nah, the fastest bikes go as fast as the fastest sports cars. And the bikes are way cheaper.

LordOfChaos

2k for a graphics card

I'll stick with consoles next gen

A 3K card almost entirely for deep machine learning proves what about this, lol?

The 8.5G consoles are more GPU than you could get for a total PC price for sure, but this is a silly comparison point. A 1060 is about PS4 Pro competitive.

GamingArena

Ordered mine this morning! Should be here tomorrow! Christmas just got a touch more interesting.

I hope you will use it for its real purpose (Deep Learning etc..) cause spending $3k USD to get 30-35% over Titan Xp in "gaming" is Pure madness OCD!

might as well get Xp SLi and get much better performance if you do games only...

The Ti has always come less than a year after the Titan announcement going back even to the original Titan...

Huh, get your facts straight each XX80Ti has released on 1.5 year intervals and the 1080Ti just released in March 2017, so I'd expect the next 80Ti card out end of 2018 or early 2019.

780Ti - 11/7/2013
980 Ti - 6/2/2015
1080 Ti - 3/10/2017

Vic20

I hope you will use it for its real purpose (Deep Learning etc..) cause spending $3k USD to get 30-35% over Titan Xp in "gaming" is Pure madness OCD!

might as well get Xp SLi and get much better performance if you do games only...

SLI is a hellscape these days.

Leonidas

Huh, get your facts straight each XX80Ti has released on 1.5 year intervals and the 1080Ti just released in March 2017, so I'd expect the next 80Ti card out end of 2018 or early 2019.

780Ti - 11/7/2013
980 Ti - 6/2/2015
1080 Ti - 3/10/2017

My post is accurate

OG Titan 2/2013
780 Ti 11/2013

9 months

Titan X(M) 3/2015
980 Ti 6/2015

3 months

Titan X(P) 8/2016
1080 Ti 3/2017

7 months

Titan V 12/2017
1180 Ti X/2018

Alebelly

Nah, the fastest bikes go as fast as the fastest sports cars. And the bikes are way cheaper.

Nah, the fastest riders on the fastest bikes are significantly slower than the fastest drivers in the fastest cars

Example

2017 Circuit of the Americas

Marc Marquez 2'04.899 on lap 15 (MotoGP)

Sebastian Vettel 1'37.766 on lap 51 (F1)

Vulkar59

Nah, the fastest riders on the fastest bikes are significantly slower than the fastest drivers in the fastest cars

Example

I think he was confused at the difference between speed and quick of acceleration. Motorcycles can be quick in the straight line but they can't corner as fast on a track like you pointed out.

Also, 3k is insane.

MultiCore

Example

On a track, sure, but that's moving the goalposts from what I posted.

And again, fast bikes are way cheaper than fast cars, and the whole analogy was bad to begin with.

Why assume the fastest bikes though? And a car does more functions than a bike.
Because the fastest bikes and the cheapest cars are both around 15 grand? Like I said, bad analogy.

And even cheap bikes are faster than almost all cars, relative to the number of both sold.

jonnyp

Are the tensor cores a waste of die space for gaming? If not, what applications can they be used for? Pathfinding, AI etc?

MultiCore

Are the tensor cores a waste of die space for gaming? If not, what applications can they be used for? Pathfinding, AI etc?
Unless someone writes a game that takes advantage of them, or Nvidia modifies their driver to apply them to the general gaming workload, they may be a waste.

Their biggest potential seems to be in AI, if someone bothers to write something specific for it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Buying one of these for gaming is shortsighted to the point of no words. Save yourselves.

I think they're only used for specific matrix multiplication, so they're unlikely to be of use for any game AI.

For gamers I expect an Ampere card with GDDR6 coming by spring, probably called something like GA102. They might even call the flagship with a new Titan-like name just to warrant another 999$ price tag.

dr_rus

Nvidia: "It will cost $3000".

Nvidia fanboys: "That's a decent price actually" *said whilst bent over*.

That's a decent price actually for a card with 7,5 TFlops of FP64 and 110 TFlops of tensor ops. This is about three times less than such card would cost you previously.

TfBc.png

But do continue missing the point.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mere $2,999 and it is yours:

techpowerup

NOTE: nVidia's Huang said that company spent $3 billion on developing Volta. nVidia's revenue from datacenter business peaked at 500 million in Q3 2017, so Volta hasn't paid for itself yet.

Q: How many (T/G/whatever) FLOPS?
A:
Titan X
CUDA Cores - 3584
Base Clock - 1431Mhz
Boost Clock - 1531Mhz
Gflops at base clock: 10,257 (cores * clock * 2 operations per cycle)
Gflops at boost clock: 10,974

Titan V
CUDA Cores - 5120
Base Clock - 1200Mhz (hmmm)
Boost clock - 1455Mhz
Gflops at base clock: 12,288
Gflops at boost clock: 14,899

Q: But why not $5,999?
A: That would go beyond "2 times last highest price" rule. Perhaps with Ampere.

When will we see this GPU or a pair of these used in DF’s PC vs Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro ;)? (Nothing wrong if they did that, but it shows why making comparisons against PC’s is meaningless without taking specs and cost into account... there is not such a thing as a PC, but PC configurations).

You joke but it will actually be close to that price, or at least the Ampere Titan will be, which will release before the Ti.

The Titan Xp is priced close to $1500 as is so maybe. Next Ti will likely be priced $800-900.

Also this is not a gaming card for those who complain about the price. It’s not aimed towards gamers and consumers..

This is even cheaper than the Quadro type cards anyway. This is a workstation card similar to those, but has video out.

LordOfChaos

Does anyone know if this is able to use NVMe storage as an extended graphics memory, caching needed things into vram and then ram before?

Vega Pro can do that and comes with 16GB of HBM2 vs 12 here, this is definitely much faster as a chip, but not as much memory available. Unsure of the NVMe SSD utilization bit.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
3000 vs 500 for your first console and 600 for your mid console cycle refresh that still isn’t as powerful.

MultiCore

Does anyone know if this is able to use NVMe storage as an extended graphics memory, caching needed things into vram and then ram before?

Vega Pro can do that and comes with 16GB of HBM2 vs 12 here, this is definitely much faster as a chip, but not as much memory available. Unsure of the NVMe SSD utilization bit.

Why an NVMe drive? They're an order of magnitude slower than actual RAM.
Why not just install more system memory and use it as a cache?
This kind of memory caching has been around forever, and used to be touted as a feature starting with AGP cards, as I recall. (And it's still in use with on-die graphics. They just carve out a chunk of system ram.)

thelastword

Banned
All that money and only a rounded 15TF GPU? Looking at the benches, it's not a world away from the TitanXP and 1080Ti's performance by any means. I really don't know what's up with NVidia and their prices....

I'll bet you six months later, you will get a GTX 1180 with even better performance and tflops for $799, followed by the 1180ti for $699 a few months after that.....

MultiCore

All that money and only a rounded 15TF GPU? Looking at the benches, it's not a world away from the TitanXP and 1080Ti's performance by any means. I really don't know what's up with NVidia and their prices....

I'll bet you six months later, you will get a GTX 1180 with even better performance and tflops for $799, followed by the 1180ti for $699 a few months after that.....
I think what you're trying to say is that Titan cards aren't really aimed at gamers...

Which is odd, because I'm pretty sure Nvidia has said that this card isn't aimed at gamers...

thelastword

Banned
I think what you're trying to say is that Titan cards aren't really aimed at gamers...

Which is odd, because I'm pretty sure Nvidia has said that this card isn't aimed at gamers...
Well we all know these were gaming cards all along. NV would never get away with saying a TITAN is a gaming card when a TI is half the price and sees similar gaming performance. It's a smart way to sell a card at a higher price. Funny enough, Titan only saw a major uplift in compute performance and non-gaming tasks just recently, so that says much about it being non-gaming focused in the first place ;)

Meh3D

Hi there. I can answer that for you. Don’t think of the 12GB of HBM as a hard limit. Instead, think of this memory as a cache.

Ubername

Banned
It actually is a decent price.... But for the purpose it's designed for.

I don't know your credentials so forgive me, but are you really in any position to say what is and isn't a good deal for something as specific and technical as a PC component that does "deep machine learning?"

I mean who the fuck even sells these besides nVidia lol.

MultiCore

Do you guys do this for Xeon processors?
Hyper cars?
Houses bigger than yours?

It's not a gaming card. Who cares what it costs?
It's cheaper than the Tesla V100, and cheaper than some Quadro cards.

The pricing is fine.

Teran

It's been mentioned before but it really needs reiterating that Titans are NOT designed as a consumer gaming GPU (although it does function just fine as one).

When it comes to deep learning computational power, every last bit counts, and the price premium isn't an issue. Titans are usually sold in multi GPU setups in prebuilt rigs for deep learning, and the computational power they actually provide is worth the price for a research institution.

I don't know your credentials so forgive me, but are you really in any position to say what is and isn't a good deal for something as specific and technical as a PC component that does "deep machine learning?"

I mean who the fuck even sells these besides nVidia lol.

He isn't. It's just the automatic Nvidia defence from the usuals.

What Deep Learning company do you work for Kirankara? And when did you bench a Titan V in the correct algorithms to say with authority that this is worth the price?

Top Bottom