• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World - Open beta is up for preload (PS+ required)

An Xbox X Troll plays PS4 too eh? Hilarious

???

what does that have to do with the thread topic???

anyways. i played the beta a bit.

i found that i like the hammer the best.

i like that fact that i can jog with the hammer unlike the greatsword where your walking when its unshealth, i didnt like that at all and thats what made me not use the great sword and charge blade like i initially planned.

plus i love the hammer charged attack, you can charge it while you run and then it turns into a spinning attack doing lots of damage.

i played the first mission solo then played the second mission in random multiplayer match. havent tried the third yet.

but all in all, my excitement for this game has went down quite a lot after playing the beta. never played a monster hunter game before so i wasnt sure what to expect. but since it was from capcom, i wondered if the combat was similar to dragons dogma, but its not.

i hate the fact that i got a time limit on each mission. that is so lame. i cant even explore the land and learn more about the games gameplay when not fighting monsters so thats very disappointing.

its just something about the combat im not feeling, like its missing something.

plus im not a fan of the controls neither. cant even change them. using the triangle and circle to attack was confusing for the first few moments. i kept using square to use an item thinking that was the light attack.

so far, i left the beta not feeling impressed at all. not sure if im even going to buy the game now. i love dragons dogma and lost planet so i figured id love this too. i just hope its one of those games where you play it once or twice the first tine, you dont like it, then later down the line, you play it again and it just clicks and you end up loving it. i hope thats the case because i really wanna like this game.

Kishidle

Neo Member
How people usually play greatsword is by 'sniping'.

Sheath your sword, find an opening, unsheathe and do a level 3 charge. After, sheath again and repeat. Basically like that.

MH is less action-y and slower than Dragon's Dogma, which is more akin to DMC. I'd say it's even more slower than souls games if you're playing a slow weapon like the GS.

Pejo

Well, I spent some time with the Beta over the weekend, and I'll definitely be picking it up, but I hope they add some more polish before release. It felt very "janky" at the current time. there's tons of new gameplay systems to learn, but after a few fights of trying to use the new stuff, I just went straight into classic MH mode and didn't bother with any of it. It's nice that we still have that option.

Controls are actually the biggest hurdle for me currently, trying to re-learn my button presses for combos and such, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

Also, god damn the NPC talking animation was awful. They should really stick with grunts and "ahhhh"s and have the lines as text.

New monsters are fun so far, but I'm not a fan of the armor skills system. I really like the open world design, it feels more fluid when you run into an unintended big baddie.

I can definitely see myself putting a lot of time into this one.

I had some friends over to try out the beta, asides from getting used to the controls they had a blast.

One of them found out that u can actually use a whetstone while having your weapon out by using the radial menu instead.

it was seriously the biggest mind blown and game changer to date.

Pila

Finally we have a chance to try this out! It's been so long since the last time I saw MH on my TV, strong feelings ^^ these monsters deserve the TV & couch experience.

I like the demo and I'm gonna buy the full thing day one. Anyway, I think that classic MH demos are just terrible for new people. I know what I'm supposed to do, but newcomers don't! I remember my first MH demo (3U on Wii U) and I had no idea what was going on. Demos are still the same years later, cmon Capcom... I think those training/tutorial missions on MH4U were good, they should do something like that maybe.

Anyway, stick with it people, it's worth it! Vets online are usually cool and they won't bite you at your first mistake. I met plenty of nice people playing MH with random pubs.

Quick list of random thoughts about the demo:

. Whoa, the real MH feeling with pretty graphics and comfy controller, thanks heaven.

. Really not a fan of damage numbers on screen or being able to move while drinking a potion... you gotta watch the monster and learn how it moves and what to do while it's doing its thing, those new possibilities teach you bad habits imho. Don't know why they still think westerns can't fully handle their game, we freaking can. =P

. I was scared about the new maps with no separate rooms and loading screens but it works great, you don't waste time on a big empty map just for the sake of being big. Very good maps imo, GG.

. I tried my fav weapons (GS, LS, DB, HH, LBG, GL) and they feel great, combat is the real thing. Demo is easy but they're always easy, no surprise. Talking about the light bowgun, I love the way it works now, goodbye PSP setup! I don't like being able to move while reloading tho, same old story...

. Mounting now takes a while! I'm sure it's good in multiplayer, great opening for your buddies, but it doesn't feel very useful while playing solo? It takes a lot of time, I need to try it out more.

. I'm in love with next gen cats, they ride their dino minions and they sail on mud with a small boat, kawaiiiii ^^

. Following that yellow stuff is not that great but in the old games you would just rush to the monster spawn point you read about on some wiki, so... I guess they save me time, whatever.

Whoa WOT, sorry :/ it's been pretty fun, now back to the BoTW DLC and see you next month. MH is back bitches, get ready!

Been playing this over the weekend. Was really underwhelmed at first (going from the variety of styles and hunter arts to the combat in this seemed a step back) but once I put in more time and understood what the game was going for I fell in love. Really looking forward to the release now, just have to decide which platform.

Juras

Beta is awesome overall, except few things;
-quest id, what the hell is this? i hope its exclusive to beta, so annoying to type/share 12 (or so, including caps letters) random code if i want to play with friends
-unble to turn off "cinematic zoom" camera if monster spottted first time
-unlocked framerate, i want option to lock it to 30
-no blood
-some unfair hitboxes, even on small monsters
-even if HUD is off, there still some elements on screen like friendly monsters names or "butttonlogy" while mounted

ApuxnAP.gif

Dunki

So does anyone know when the PC release will be? The same day as PS4? I am really torn between these 2 Versions but if this has the same release date, I probably will go for the PC version.

PC release date is still up in the air, assuming it will be 6-12 months after console release.

I finally was able to beat rathalos solo with the SA, spent more time drinking antidotes than healing hahah.

Will be spending rest of the beta looking for wyvern eggs, and the elusive pukei pukei.

Dunki

PC release date is still up in the air, assuming it will be 6-12 months after console release.

I finally was able to beat rathalos solo with the SA, spent more time drinking antidotes than healing hahah.

Will be spending rest of the beta looking for wyvern eggs, and the elusive pukei pukei.

Ok Thanks. Then the PS4 version it is.

Any performance problems with the normal PS4? Only saw Pro footage I think.

Pheace

Some people complaining about fps drops when you have multiple monsters on screen on fat PS4, others saying it's fine for them.

Pila

It's not stable 30 fps on my standard PS4 but you'll be fine if you're used to the old games, it's not a slideshow.

They say this is an old build so maybe we'll get better performance on the final game.

Dunki

It's not stable 30 fps on my standard PS4 but you'll be fine if you're used to the old games, it's not a slideshow.

They say this is an old build so maybe we'll get better performance on the final game.

That is fine then. Thank you

Pejo

I played the beta. Game is gorgeous but it's not my kind of game. Feels batman.

It's definitely not a Dragon's Dogma type game, if that's what you were hoping. I kinda put it akin to a 3D PunchOut! vs. dinosaurs. Have to learn the monsters moves and react accordingly. It feels uniquely rewarding when you get good at the game though.

Anyways, some more time into the game, and the controls are feeling more comfy now. I still find a lot of the additions superfluous but it's hard to really judge that in the demo.

Do you only get that special download pack for beating one of the monsters? I can't tell if my game glitched it out because it's been crashing when it gets to that "pre-order on PSN?" prompt, but I only got the notification for the download once.

MDSLKTR

I played the beta. Game is gorgeous but it's not my kind of game. Feels batman.
Same, MH virgin here and there's too many systems constantly being thrown at my face. I'd be better off with dragon dogma I think. Also perf mode on pro is laughable.

Grinchy

Banned
Monster Hunter is kinda like a more complex Rocket League - you're going to suck at it for a really long time until it suddenly clicks and you know what you're doing. And then you still suck but it's way more fun.

The net is now my best friend, being able to catch all the little critters just puts a smile on my face.
I'm hoping in the full game it turns out the things u capture will appear in the hub zone.

I am seriously in love with the absurd amount of detail in the map. It has no business being this well crafted and yet it just is!

oktarb

I was so in until I heard there were 50 minute time limits on hunts. Jesus, games with these BS artificial tension time systems. I was hoping to soak in the hunt, track, smell the monster poo. 50 minutes, sure probably enough but I can't get over that its there. One vote of No with my wallet.

aeroslash

I really don’t know what to think about this MH..

To begin with, I wasn’t a good player in other MH, and this one felt so easy.. i killed all three monsters on my first try. The first one never touched me. The second one without fainting (and i used to run when i saw Barroths in previous entries), and the third one was not that complicated. I really hope you are overpowered in the demo..

Thing i like:
- seamless worlds
- interaction between monsters
- the footsteps/marks investigation

Things i dislike:
- The green bugs that show you everything (any word on if we will be able to turn that off?)
- The damage numbers (turned off after first play)
- too easy

neotokyo360

To begin with, I wasn’t a good player in other MH, and this one felt so easy.. i killed all three monsters on my first try. The first one never touched me. The second one without fainting (and i used to run when i saw Barroths in previous entries), and the third one was not that complicated. I really hope you are overpowered in the demo..

Thing i like:
- seamless worlds

Things i dislike:
- The green bugs that show you everything (any word on if we will be able to turn that off?)
- too easy

Try it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAsRbwgo-6w

majin_pol

Neo Member
- green bugs is so kid stuff... sadly it looks like new main mechanics so we won be able to turn it off...

- damage numbers very cool see dmg numbers where to hit what gives most damage, then turn it off ;)

- too easy is part of this demo and equipment setup someone said it was also tweaked to be easy but i did not bother to search for source

- 9 deaths should be reverted to 3

i will still LOVE it like others, and that "next" gen graphics...

Filth

Thing i like:
- seamless worlds

Things i dislike:
- too easy

they made it easy on purpose for the beta/demo

Pheace

9 Deaths is also just for the demo, same as it's only 20 mins for the demo and not the standard 50

You also start with max boosted health/stamina, something you usually don't have till later in the game. You get advanced weapons, and the monsters are weak so you can defeat them in the time limit.

ryanofcall

I'm almost completely new to the series. Today I played the beta and I "befriended" a (small) Jagras twice but I'm not sure why and how. He just started helping me? Is that an insect glaive thing?
took a photo of it real quick here (zero's my palico underneath the Jagras):
https://imgur.com/a/Yth6q

Before the beta I was looking forward to the game, now I'm absolutely hyped. Everything feels so much better to use especially ranged weapons. Also fell in love with the now more slash focused Gunlance, really differentiates it more from the Lance. Release can't come soon enough.

makes sense, he was riding on it, too at some point :)

Sometimes they even ram monsters knocking them over. Surprised me a lot cause I was ready to power guard Barroth's charge and instead he got knocked over from the side.

Grinchy

Banned
I was already hyped for this game before the beta, but now the wait is unbearable. This game is going to be so damn good.

Grinchy

Banned

Damn, you just man-handled that Barroth. Haven't watched that Diablos one yet, I'm sure you do the same there.

Is it even possible to do that kind of damage with something like the longsword? I've never been able to do anything remotely like that.

Top Bottom