• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohnonono

So is it still a thing that the person with the better connection sees more lag in most online matches? I recently upgraded my internet and wired my PS4 and I more commonly see some real janky shit. Not the everyone is lagging throw out DPs type stuff, but super crazy warping and the other player is hitting pretty complex combos during the whole thing.

I sort of assumed it was a myth, but holy shit if that is actually true.

So is it still a thing that the person with the better connection sees more lag in most online matches? I recently upgraded my internet and wired my PS4 and I more commonly see some real janky shit. Not the everyone is lagging throw out DPs type stuff, but super crazy warping and the other player is hitting pretty complex combos during the whole thing.

I sort of assumed it was a myth, but holy shit if that is actually true.

I can't speak in general terms, but it doesn't match my own experience. I am currently wired on 100/20 Mbit fiber, and I only rarely see rollbacks and other weird stuff.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
he's looked weird since 2

chun-li-family-man-e.png

just straight up creepy as shit in 5 tho

He's kinda like the queen's baby. Why's he so damn beefy?

I really hope they do fix the rollback netcode. Last night I was matched with 5 players who had "5 bars" ranging from the Dominicans, Mexicans and US that was unplayable. I couldn't do basic things like punishing overheads or punishing slides. It's really soul crushing that something you practice doing offline doesn't work likes meaties and hit confirms

I was in a 6 game win streak before this with Cammy but the game decided I was doing too good and needed to lose points. Before that, 3 different Cambodian players.

I noticed something odd the other day. I normally set it to 4-5 bar only and ask and would 95% of the time have pretty much lag free matches. Sometimes I would be facing someone who was clearly on wifi as like spikes would randomly occur for 3-5 seconds but in most those case me and my opponoent would just stop fighting till it passed.

However I decided to try 3-5 and see what would happen. I am in the UK and it almost always matches me with europeans. When I set it to 3-5 it would still mostly be a 5 bar connection and the confirmation screen but It started very frequently matching me with people from the USA and even Brazil. Those matches just became a nightmare with there microlag. Hit confirms would be impossible because they would make the hit noise and annimation but immediately turn into blocks and then im left wide open. Mix that in with constant micro teleports and while on the surface it doesnt look that bad its horrid to play.

So after 2 days of that I set it back to 4-5 and its fine again.

Hopefully anyone who gets issues with this the new CFN will help but I wont count my chickens. Saying that as long as I leave it on 4-5 its mostly fine for me. Just want it to find matches faster more consitantly.

SFV Guile is a fantastic design. Dude has the hardened face you'd expect when you think of an experienced militaryman and he is one of the few blondes in this game that actually looks great all around. I wish I could say the same about Alex.
I really hope they do fix the rollback netcode. Last night I was matched with 5 players who had "5 bars" ranging from the Dominicans, Mexicans and US that was unplayable. I couldn't do basic things like punishing overheads or punishing slides. It's really soul crushing that something you practice doing offline doesn't work likes meaties and hit confirms

I was in a 6 game win streak before this with Cammy but the game decided I was doing too good and needed to lose points. Before that, 3 different Cambodian players.
Bars are terrible for measuring ping compared to actual numbers. Also, I've been having the same issue, but almost exclusively against Kolin. Goddamn everything I tried with Alex just whiffs on her wakeup. It drives me nuts.

VariantX

SFV Guile is a fantastic design. Dude has the hardened face you'd expect when you think of an experienced militaryman and he is one of the few blondes in this game that actually looks great all around. I wish I could say the same about Alex.

Bars are terrible for measuring ping compared to actual numbers. Also, I've been having the same issue, but almost exclusively against Kolin. Goddamn everything I tried with Alex just whiffs on her wakeup. It drives me nuts.

Bolded for truth. People constantly complained about having bars instead of ping numbers for the console ports of BF4 in the CTE. People would join 4-5 bar servers, and lag all over the place anyway. Bars are even worse when you don't know what they actually mean in terms of ping. For all we know, their threshold for a 5 bar opponent could be someone with like 150ms ping and below.

MrCarter

KoF has 49 character unlocked from the start (and Verse whotakes 10 minutes to unlcok) for a total of 50. 4 DLC characters coming next month

SFV has 16 characters unlocked from the start, and 10 DLC/fight money characters, with 4 more to come sometime this year.

That's besides the point. They are still free to obtain in SFV while in KOF you can't. Even if KOF has more characters that doesn't mean they will play with all of them.

Onemic

That's besides the point. They are still free to obtain in SFV while in KOF you can't. Even if KOF has more characters that doesn't mean they will play with all of them.

I think having more content right out the gate is a very valid point. 49 characters unlocked with 4 paid DLC is a better deal than 16 unlocked and 10 DLC that can potentially be earned for free if you do nothing but play SFV 24 hours a day.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's not inherently a better deal. You could just use the same 3 characters in kof if you want to, but whay if that one dlc character is one of your favourites? Pay up breh.

MrCarter

I think having more content right out the gate is a very valid point. 49 characters unlocked with 4 paid DLC is a better deal than 16 unlocked and 10 DLC that can potentially be earned for free if you do nothing but play SFV 24 hours a day.

Not sure about that. "Content" could mean a lot of things in development. Creating characters in SFV with their complex and far more detailed animation is far more time consuming and needs a bigger budget, whereas for KOF you can tell that was clearly not on thier list of priorities. Also you don't need to do nothing but "play SFV 24 hours a day" to earn 7/8 characters. If you see in the OP it's pretty straight forward. Basically quality over quantity.

Spuck-uk

Banned
It's not inherently a better deal. You could just use the same 3 characters in kof if you want to, but whay if that one dlc character is one of your favourites? Pay up breh.

What if that character isn't in SFV at all because there's only 26 characters instead of 54?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Not sure about that. "Content" could mean a lot of things in development. Creating characters in SFV with their complex and far more detailed animation is far more time consuming and needs a bigger budget, whereas for KOF you can tell that was clearly not on thier list of priorities. Also you don't need to do nothing but "play SFV 24 hours a day" to earn 7/8 characters. If you see in the OP it's pretty straight forward. Basically quality over quantity.

Not sure it's so much low priority, as much as SNK have never done a fully 3d fighter (I think?), so they're clearly missing a lot in animation terms.

Now Xrd, I can well believe characters taking 2-4x as long as SFV characters, because what they are doing is bonkers.

Pompadour

Playing SFV 24 hours a day is the worst way to unlock characters because no one is getting enough FM from online matches to unlock characters (unless online matches are a requirement for a weekly challenge).

You can get the 1st character within an hour of easy single player stuff. I'm not going to break down the FM payouts again in this thread because this info is already in multiple SFV threads but it is reasonable to expect to unlock every DLC character for free as each DLC character is an opportunity for more FM (without touching Hard or Extreme Survival). The weekly challenges make it even easier and one could have the required FM easily before the next character drop as there's 2 months between drops, typically.

With that said, I'll go through the standard retorts before they pop up.

1) But single player is boring! So? I said it was reasonably easy to get every character for free, not fun.

2) But if I spend all my FM on characters how can I afford the Story costumes or DLC stages? I never said you can unlock everything for free easily. You'll have to do crazy grinding for everything. This is why I recommend getting the Deluxe edition on sale for under $40 because it gives a ton of FM easily to buy whatever non-character item you want.

3) The single player stuff still requires skill to beat. Not really. Some trials are tough but the FM payout is poor and Normal Survival isn't braindead but if you can do a jump in combo you can beat it. The biggest threat is falling asleep in the middle of it.

Now, I don't even know if the person who prompted this discussion is still here but they should attempt to try both KOF and SFV before they buy. The "more characters = better value" thing is kind of bullshit because why not then recommend one of those DBZ or Naruto fighters with giant rosters? Or DL Mugen for free? Or play Tobal 2.

There's a lot of factors to consider and that poster really didn't elucidate much in what they're looking for in a fighting game.

Skilletor

Now, I don't even know if the person who prompted this discussion is still here but they should attempt to try both KOF and SFV before they buy. The "more characters = better value" thing is kind of bullshit because why not then recommend one of those DBZ or Naruto fighters with giant rosters? Or DL Mugen for free? Or play Tobal 2.

There's a lot of factors to consider and that poster really didn't elucidate much in what they're looking for in a fighting game.

This.

Who cares what comes with the meal if I don't like the food.

Pompadour

This.

Who cares what comes with the meal if I don't like the food.

Right. I own KOF XIV, really tried to like it, and am hoping the DLC makes the game finally click with me. It's just a 50 character roster means nothing if I struggled to find 3 characters I liked to make a team.

Pompadour

Not sure it's so much low priority, as much as SNK have never done a fully 3d fighter (I think?), so they're clearly missing a lot in animation terms.

Now Xrd, I can well believe characters taking 2-4x as long as SFV characters, because what they are doing is bonkers.

I sincerely believe that SNK managed to make such a huge roster at launch because they repurposed the 3D models they made for XII and XIII as a base for XIV's characters and animations. It would explain a lot.

To be fair, Yama, Van, and Rock are pulling me to try KOF again. Wish it had a season pass because I'm a sucker for fighting game DLC.

In other news, I keep seeing people pretend like Taylor is confirmed on fighting game sites. This shit is painful.

Skilletor

To be fair, Yama, Van, and Rock are pulling me to try KOF again. Wish it had a season pass because I'm a sucker for fighting game DLC.

In other news, I keep seeing people pretend like Taylor is confirmed on fighting game sites. This shit is painful.

A bunch of my friends that hate SF5 are using this as confirmation to hate on SF5 some more, even though I pointed out he has voiced line in character stories.

/shrug

A bunch of my friends that hate SF5 are using this as confirmation to hate on SF5 some more, even though I pointed out he has voiced line in character stories.

/shrug

Do they frequent Kappa?

Vesper made a fucking five minute long video about it. I respect him as a content creator but at some point I feel like you just need to let some topics die off.

I actually haven't watched the video. I saw it popup through shoryuken using it as a news piece. I can assume it's five minutes of regurgitation followed by a question poised towards his viewership.

And for the record, I like when he explains the patch notes, though I'm sure other channels might do a better job on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom