• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Precursor Games- Shadow of the Eternals Crowdsourcing + Kickstarter [canceled]

Nibel

Nintendo prob knows about it, Dyack cant be that stupid to cause another lawsuit after the Epic thing.

Nintendo prob told them if they can get funding and dont use the ED name and also only console they put it on is WiiU, they are ok with it.

Dyack said that other platforms are possible when they met their goal or get even more money

duckroll

I think the episodes will cost $5 a piece, totaling a $60 product when all 12 are done, and with a $25 donation, that'd only be enough to cover 5 eps, but they'll give you an extra "free."

Yeah that matches up with the $50 tier having 10 episodes + 2 free.

Nugg

I may be a bit dense today, but taking a look at the Sane Supporter tier, for example:

Do you receive Episodes from 1 to 6 or just the first one? Do you have to pay 2 to 6 too?

No I believe you get episodes 1 to 6, they just remind you that the first one would have been free anyway regardless of you donation.

EDIT: I probably misunderstood. That $5 a piece thing makes more sense. I don't know.

statham

oh, that's too bad then. Sure SK failed hard on Xbox 360, but like everything in life they should be given another chance to prove themselves. They shouldn't quit just because they failed once.
Then at the very least put it on kickstarter and bump up goal to 1.65 million if they are worried about fees

Vamphuntr

Really shady like others have said. They keep your money even if they don't reach the goal. They also outright mention that it does not even guarantee the game will get completed. I mean, I know this is THE risk with crowd funding but to say it like that coupled with the fact they keep your money whatever happens is really shady.

1,5 million is only for the first episode? This is in the crazy territory right now.

Without Nintendo in the backstage I can't have faith in this project, which makes me very, very sad.

Yeah, without their guidance SK was not a very good dev.

brainpann

I am very glad to see this happening and I hope that it reaches it's goals. It raises SO MANY questions though. I get the feeling that this was originally a Nintendo sanctioned game that they backed out on after Silicon Knights went under. Why else would it continue to be on the Wii U? Also, what about the sanity effects? Nintendo has the patent on that, unless Dyack managed to get around it OR made an agreement with Nintendo.

How is this shady? They're just covering their asses. Have you guys never read ToS/agreements before? They're all pretty 'shady'.

Effect

Dyack said that other platforms are possible when they met their goal or get even more money

Another reason why it's hard to believe Nintendo has any connection to this or would okay with this. No way would hey allow anything they have a connection to, to appear on any other system. Being inspired or a spiritual successor is one thing. If Nintendo have the rights to Eternal Darkness and locations, etc look like they were taken from it and put in another game they would certainly have issue with that. There would really be no way of knowing until footage comes and and now it has.

Would to donate money to people who allegedly took their last publisher for a ride and then ran their own company into the ground? Especially after they tell you that they're going to take your money and are under no obligation to give you a product? Lol.

Something bad happened to them with Xbox 360. How can a company which has released Eternal Darkness, Metal Gears Solid Twin Snakes & Legacy of Kain, suddenly fall flat on their face? I think there were a lot of tech issues with UE3 and Epic's promises.

Anyway like I said before, just like anything in life you shouldn't write off someone just because they failed once.

BTW I would never donate money to a game developer....there are better causes out there.

Patryn

So why are people being so negative already? Cry engine 3 licencing is expensive, they have the game up and running and most of the stuff looks cool (good graphics, animation, lighting, sound etc).

This sounds like DmC all over again...

You may want to read this thread. Basically, all signs are that outside of the times that another company standing over SK's shoulder guiding development, everything SK touches is a mess.

KKRT00

Oh god, its like reading Star Citizen campaign start again ... No refunds is normal policy for crowdfunding, how would they be able to give people money they've already spent after months of development?

For the avoidance of doubt, in consideration of CIG’s good faith efforts to develop, produce, and deliver the Game with the funds raised, you agree that any deposit amounts applied against the Game Cost as described above shall be non-refundable regardless of whether or not CIG is able to complete and deliver the Game.
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/commercial-terms/

Read complains about Chris Robert campaign when it didnt land on kickstarter. People have called it shady too ...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495065

mAcOdIn

Hey, looks like it not only will be crowdfunded but crowddeveloped!
Community Participation Rewards:
Being a member of the Order rewards players for contributing to the community forums. By contributing to the forums you may receive the following rewards:

Your name in the credits of Shadow of the Eternals (in-game)
Contribution to the Ephemeral Codex (physical book)
Create content for the game (in-game)
Vote on integrating the best community created content (in-game)

Not that I'm against that in principle.

Carl

Haha. As if giving Dyack my money was a thing that was going to happen in the first place - they won't even return the money if they fail to hit their goal?

Nah....NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Nibel

I wonder if they're seeding some of the money on their own to make it seem like it's going smoothly, so people let their guard down and think there are others donating so it should be okay.

They don't even need to do this

They can easily manipulate the numbers on their website

espher

No refunds and no guarantees pretty much describes crowdfunding ventures to perfection.

My only issue with this one is they take the money right away -- it's not a pledge that gets called when a target gets hit.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Well, Dyack brought the GAF hatred on himself with his for or against bullshit, but it is sad to see the ire that this project is engendering already. Seeing as Eternal Darkness is one of my favorite games ever, I think I will have to back this for at least a modest amount. This is a game that I would like to see make it to fruition.

megalowho

The amount of outs they've afforded themselves (no refund/cancellation period before goal is met, not liable for anything if we can't/don't make the game, funding will cover one episode only) coupled with the studios recent track record and any ownership Nintendo still holds over the Eternal Darkness IP is making this one a pretty easy decision for me. Wish them the best and I'll evaluate the game if it ever becomes an actual product, but no interest in bankrolling it.

eXistor

No security you're ever gonna see the game and you lose all your donation money if it goes belly-up? Yeah this is sounding great. Also, I have very little faith in Dyack, given his sketchy past.

Chemo

Anyone who donates money to this deserves to have their money taken and receive nothing in return for it. At this point, everyone knows what Dyack is about, and this really shouldn't get backing from people at all.

Nugg

Übermatik;56972232 said:
How is this shady? They're just covering their asses. Have you guys never read ToS/agreements before? They're all pretty 'shady'.

Well the way Kickstarter works is this: you have a project, and you have a pretty good idea of how much money you need to make it happen. So if you can't get enough money, if you can't reach your goal, you get nothing. Because what's the point of getting like half the money? Your project is not doable, se let's not waste everyone's money and everyone's time.

This, however, is not Kickstarter. It's plain donations. The 1.5 million goal is just for show, they keep your money no matter what. This means that they do need 1.5 millions, but if they get only half, they'll keep it and just make some cheaper crap instead of what they planned, if anything.

ArjanN

Dyack's trustworthyness aside, the ingame footage looks pretty legit.

Also, I highly doubt Nintendo cares enough to sue.

Well the way Kickstarter works is this: you have a project, and you have a pretty good idea of how much money you need to make it happen. So if you can't get enough money, if you can't reach your goal, you get nothing. Because what's the point of getting like half the money? Your project is not doable, se let's not waste everyone's money and everyone's time.

This, however, is not Kickstarter. It's plain donations. The 1.5 million goal is just for show, they keep your money no matter what. This means that they do need 1.5 millions, but if they get only half, they'll keep it and just make some cheaper crap instead of what they planned, if anything.

Well, there's that. But if a kickstarter makes it's goal and the people running it then take all the money and blow it on blackjack and hookers you're not getting your money back either.

Dali

Lol not a single whisper about silicon knights or Dennis. You can change your company name but the past will always follow you. I wonder if cry tech is eyeing then suspiciously just in case they try to blame another turd on the middle men.

Malvingt2

but they have to protect the IP, don't they? is not directly connect it to ED but they are saying is a Spiritual Successor. that has to bother Nintendo

Spoo

I don't see why anyone would suppose Precursor isn't doing this without Nintendo's okay. It's set for a Wii U release. Sounds like Nintendo is in it, to me.

Linkhero1

I don't see why anyone would suppose Precursor isn't doing this without Nintendo's okay. It's set for a Wii U release. Sounds like Nintendo is in it, to me.

If Nintendo was in it then there would be no PC version of the game as well as the possibility of it coming to other platforms. Nintendo is definitely not in it. Plus, they probably would have funded it if they were.

wrowa

I wonder if they're seeding some of the money on their own to make it seem like it's going smoothly, so people let their guard down and think there are others donating so it should be okay.

Don't really see the need for such cynicism. More than an hour into the campaign, they're barely scratching at 20k. That's not a lot at all for what is supposed to be a big crowdfunding campaign and definitely not an unlikely number to reach for a "spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness". There's no reason to think they are using their own money to generate a steady pace.

Regarding their ToS, while flexible fundings generally suck and don't make sense, I don't see anything wrong with the disclaimer that they are not obligated to release a product. Sounds harsh, but in the end it's the only way a crowdfunding project makes sense for the developer. You can never know for certain if a project might not face serious problems during the development period, and if it's end up being cancelled how are the people behind it supposed to pay the money back? If they had a million bucks lying around, they wouldn't need such a campaign to begin with.

Of course, knowing the backstory of Dyack/SK everyone should think twice before donating to the cause, considering the studio seemed to have serious management problems in the past. However, maybe things will go more smoothly with a smaller team. Or maybe they'll fail miserably because they don't have enough people for such an ambitous project.

In any case, the business sense behind the project seems strange. The collected money is for episode 1 and with these profits they want develop the upcoming episodes? But who is supposed to buy the upcoming episodes, when they give away episodes 1 to 6 for pretty much nothing at this point already?

Effect

And to remind people saying that Gaf hates Dyack for no reason:

http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wrong-with-silicon-knights-x+men-destiny

This is what I don't understand. It's largely assumed Nintendo is the one that owns Eternal Darkness. Why would SK even be trying to shop something to different publishers? Or is it really a mistake in the end that Nintendo owns ED? I assume if Nintendo didn't have ownership then there would have been nothing stopping development of a sequel during all the years that passed. It's easier to believe Nintendo owns ED and is just sitting on the IP as they've put other ips on ice for entire hardware generations. I

As said I don't see Nintendo allowing anything they own or even partly own be playable on another platform.

duckroll

Something bad happened to them with Xbox 360. How can a company which has released Eternal Darkness, Metal Gears Solid Twin Snakes & Legacy of Kain, suddenly fall flat on their face? I think there were a lot of tech issues with UE3 and Epic's promises.

Anyway like I said before, just like anything in life you shouldn't write off someone just because they failed once.

BTW I would never donate money to a game developer....there are better causes out there.

I don't think people are against the concept of buying a spiritual sequel of Eternal Darkness if the original team somehow got back on their feet and made a game which delivers. People are sceptical about donating to a company which might not be trustworthy.

If they do end up funding the game and making it, and it looks decent, I'll certainly buy it and give it a chance. I'm just not blindly throwing money at them because I honestly don't trust the people involved after the last few years.

Nugg

Well, there's that. But if a kickstarter makes it's goal and the people running it then take all the money and blow it on blackjack and hookers you're not getting your money back either.

Sure, there's never any guarantee in the first place. But if I give 100 bucks to people that need 1 million, and all they get is my 100 bucks, well then I would like my money back, because in this case I KNOW they'll blow it on blackjack and hookers, and I can do that myself.

iYC6WIC9pnMeS.jpg

Spoo

If Nintendo was in it then there would be no PC version of the game as well as the possibility of it coming to other platforms. Nintendo is definitely not in it. Plus, they probably would have funded it if they were.

So why is it Wii U only, then (excluding PC)? Why not Xbox 360 / PS3? I mean, if this hits close to home for the big N just by virtue of what it is, doesn't listing it as a Wii U game rub salt in that wound? That seems like a weird thing to do if you're treading on thin ice, unless you've a go ahead. Why would Nintendo care to fund it themselves when they can pass the risk on to Precursor who simply passes the risk on to the consumer? That's good business for a company hurting for games, no?

Sadist

Haha, reading that Kotaku article again makes me laugh. I mean, damn. They were purely riding on the critical acclaim of Eternal Darkness and they actually got a few contracts out of it. I would love to hear comments from Nintendo on Silicon Knights. It wouldn't be pretty I suppose.

I don't think people are against the concept of buying a spiritual sequel of Eternal Darkness if the original team somehow got back on their feet and made a game which delivers. People are sceptical about donating to a company which might not be trustworthy.

If they do end up funding the game and making it, and it looks decent, I'll certainly buy it and give it a chance. I'm just not blindly throwing money at them because I honestly don't trust the people involved after the last few years.

Yea great point given their shady past. I will buy it if it's any good, but I am not donating any money either.

They probably want to build a positive reputation among the development and publishing companies, so they changed their name. lol

is it me or does this gameplay demo looks like the old E.D.. a lot.... almost copy past'ish.
(church, bookshelf thing, tunnel..)

http://youtu.be/gQGMxfzFp1g?t=4m

hardly any gameplay there...just a dude walking around the environment. The church looks like something ripped from Dragon Age

Top Bottom